First Person: Saying Goodbye to Vault Girl

Pages PREV 1 2

I agree. Fallout 3 did quite a few things right that made people mad. The ending was one (although it was more a case of robbing us of unfinished content without warning than the actual finality). I also mentioned before how people clamor for quests that don't have a definitive good/evil schism but the only ambigous one I know is Tenpenny Tower, which people just fucking hate.

JesterRaiin:

Seventh Actuality:
This is why when I get attached to an RPG character, I just remake them in a different RPG and pretend they're like the Eternal Champion or some shit.

O_o
Been a while since somebody evoked concept of Moorcock's Champion. Thanks for reminding ! :)

Same here. My character in every game you can create your character is the same person. She started out as a skater, but run into the wrong crowd and became an evil gangster in Stilwater. After a while, though, she realized she was immortal, and slowly began to mind her evil ways. She endeavoured to be good when a nuclear apocalypse destroyed the entire world and everything that was older than 1950, and when mankind was back on its track, she decided to take an active role in helping out her species, joining the military and adopting the symbolic name Shepard.

Personally i found myself playing a pargmatist and a realist who would do good where he could be was never a hopeless idealist and always wieghed his options in favor of survival. Needless to say he toally blackmailed those kids in Little Lamplight for causing him such inconvenicence. He was a deviant and sometimes a theif in aid of his goals He killed his share of those crazy brotherhood of steel after there was a missunderstnading over some stray fire. He did't feel like eplaining WHY he had been fighting off a huge crowd of mutants to those hopless control freaks whilst they were trying to take his face off. He's no-ones ideological puppet.

The slavers didn't so much offend his morals as just dick him around and piss him off. If they had been less disrespectful maybe he wouldn't have to kill every single one of them, but you don't offend a man who has fought the wastes and become a walking tank. I didn't fend of all those super-mutants and get all this awesome power armor to get jerked around by a bunch of arrogant slavers. They used to attack me on sight back when i was a wasteland scrub.

By the end of the game he has become very jaded and a little power mad. Improving his possetions and hence his chance of survival had become more important than salvation for the wasteland. The world was messed up , all that meant was he had to make sure he kept as big a stake in it as possible as not to get fucked over. Firepower works far better than kindness. Im not a monster but good and evil are all relative in this place.

Being a fairy from the land of cupcakes and hugs will win you a one way ticket to being some big evil pimp's personal cock warmer. The Realist knows that your ideals don't matter unless you have the firepower to utterly crush anything at a whim.

"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain he wept, for there were no more lands for him to conquer."

I hit this exact same wall, I completed every quest and visited every location. Got to lvl 30 and returned to Megaton to stash the last notable loot. Then I stopped, looked out over the walkway and just watched people go about their lives for a while. Then I realised, there is nothing for me to do in this game anymore.

Saving the game, I turned it off and thought, what shall William (my characters name) do now? I always toyed with the idea of him wandering west to find a new adventure but then I thought, no. My character had become like The Doctor, a mythical figure that appears in the hour of need and saves everyone. The Lonely Angel walking the ruins of the Old World. Instead I decided William was going to do what he had always done, Survive and Thrive. But this time he would take it one step further, he would revive the wasteland.

Travelling to Rivet City he mustered the council and proposed the idea of a proper nation, creating a connection between Rivet City, Megaton, Arefu, Cantebury Commons and many other locations in the Captital Wasteland. Setting himself up as the self-styled 'Governor' William created teams consisting of Mercenaries such as Reillys Rangers and Talon Company (with their leader dead they had no choice but to obey William). The Regulators, Brotherhood of Steel and Rivet City Security. Raider bands could earn their pardons by joining the ever growing 'Captial Guard' and its helpers. They were armed and equipped with the best arms and armour Money could buy (taken from Tenpennys funds) they conducted a huge sweep of the Capital wasteland. From every Metro Tunnel to the high rise buildings still standing, Ghouls and Mutants were cleared out. Uncooperative raiders forced to surrender or die (after early successes many joined up anyway) medical and production equipment was gathered up.

Using the now clear D.C. Ruins William set up camps and structures, more solid and clean than those in Megaton. Where possible old buildings were cleared out and repaired so they could be lived in again. Settlements in the Wasteland were offered the opportunity to join the growing nation, with food, safety and clean water (remember the purifier) they flocked to join. figures such as Ernest Roe managed trade caravans between settlements to be well defended and the settlements flourished.

Returning to Adams Air Force Base with a team of scavengers William stripped the place bare, Vertibirds were taken, weapons and ammunition stockpiled and the twisted metal remains of the base itself carried piece by piece (by vertibird) to the wasteland to provide even more raw materials. Using his foundries at the Pitt William began manufacturing products, rather than scavenging the old he made the new. Habitable vaults such as Vault 112 were cleared and repurposed as homes. Older vaults were cleared such as Vault 94 and 108. They soon became hospitable again. Using the surviving books and resourced from Pre War books in the vaults people became doctors and scientists. During this time Vault 101, which allowed trade with the outside world, remained untouched on Williams orders. However, a message came that Alphonse Almodovar and many of the older members of the vault had passed away and with them gone, hate for William had died down. Vault 101 opened its doors fully to the outside world and William married Amata at the Rivet City church. He continued to rule the Capital Wasteland for years, guiding it through times both difficult and prosperous such as when Brotherhood outcasts firebombed a Brotherhood defended caravan causing tensions to rise to the point of a war. Instead, William offered them an Ultimatum. Either the Outcasts leave their base and are allowed to take all their technology west, back to the brotherhood or soldiers armed with Fatmans and Experimental MIRVs would bombard the place. Unsurprisingly the troublesome outcasts packed up and left.

Years later at the age of 64, William chose his eldest child to succeed him and taught her how to defend and manage his country. He and Amata retired to Vault 101 where they would live for another 17 years. William died first, and Amata only a few days later. They were buried outside the water purifier with a huge Vault Door from Vault Tec HQ (it says 101 on it) as the entrance to their tomb.

When Williams daughter died at the age of 72, her son took over. His name was James. In honour of a brave man who set forth from the comfort of his home to try and save the world.

@JaceValm:
Sir... THIS just blew my mind, congrats! :D

This may sound like an overacted fanfic to SOME ppl, but anyone who was just as much immersed in this world would almost wet their seats if they heard this as an ending... at least I know I would've. :P

Great job man hope you have more ideas for other games. :)

JaceValm:
"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain he wept, for there were no more lands for him to conquer."

I'd like to wish that my Fallout 3 Vault Girl would do that, but I have a feeling she'd probably go to Rivet City, talk to the council, and then punch them all in the face for being dicks. Don't worry, she's got a low unarmed skill, they'd live.

I'm not actually finished Fallout 3 yet, I'm trying to complete all the content and get a cheap copy of the GOTY edition before I take on the purifier. Still, maybe I'm just trying to keep Vault Girl alive a few more weeks?

Gaboris:
@JaceValm:
Sir... THIS just blew my mind, congrats! :D

This may sound like an overacted fanfic to SOME ppl, but anyone who was just as much immersed in this world would almost wet their seats if they heard this as an ending... at least I know I would've. :P

Great job man hope you have more ideas for other games. :)

I, ummm well thank you. This is just the way I envisaged Williams story to end. After having improved the lives of practically everyone else in the wasteland I couldn't picture him letting things lie, I always imagined him as a bit of a political idealist who genuinely thought about how to REALLY fix the problems of the wasteland. I had lots of fun imagining where his story would take him next.

Did I mention my plan for the next Fallout game? I wrote it one one of these threads a few months ago.

Ninjat_126:

JaceValm:

I'd like to wish that my Fallout 3 Vault Girl would do that, but I have a feeling she'd probably go to Rivet City, talk to the council, and then punch them all in the face for being dicks. Don't worry, she's got a low unarmed skill, they'd live.

I'm not actually finished Fallout 3 yet, I'm trying to complete all the content and get a cheap copy of the GOTY edition before I take on the purifier. Still, maybe I'm just trying to keep Vault Girl alive a few more weeks?

Perhaps thats just how your vault girls story ends. Feeling frustrated the powers that be are incompetent and self serving? I'd suggest that you do get all the content and play it. You will be keeping vault girl alive for longer but you will probably also get a horrible feeling that now all your actions are leading up to an ending. A point where the hero, through their own actions, is rendered obsolete.

All the way through the last quest in Broken Steel (all quests and DLC completed except this one) I knew every action I took brought me one step closer to the ending. This was partly my characters motivation. After the death of James, my character turned his back on the Brotherhood of Steel and the Enclave. He was finished with all that, he just didn't care. The Enclave attacked him from time to time but this was a mere distraction.

Then I completed 'Trouble on the Homefront' I discovered that the Enclave was attempting to enter Vault 101. Despite this I encouraged the dwellers to open the Vault. I did this because now my character had a purpose again. Of course he had rescued many people but he didn't know them. He just saved them and turned away, without a word. But now he had the chance to save people he cared about. His failure to protect his father weighed on his mind and when he left the vault there was a purpose to his life. Destroying the Enclave team near Vault 101 (you know the one by the playground?) he set out for the citadel. Now deciding to help the Brotherhood. Whe he discovered Colonel Autumn was still alive Williams feelings of rage at the Enclave had a focus and his self hate for his inability to save James was now placed on Autumn. Breaking free at Raven Rock he recovered his equipment and tricked Eden into destroying the base.

Then came the attack on the purifier. With vengeance and fury guiding him to the end of the battle.

Well, that was a bit long winded.

JaceValm:

Perhaps thats just how your vault girls story ends. Feeling frustrated the powers that be are incompetent and self serving? I'd suggest that you do get all the content and play it. You will be keeping vault girl alive for longer but you will probably also get a horrible feeling that now all your actions are leading up to an ending. A point where the hero, through their own actions, is rendered obsolete.

But are they rendering themselves obsolete, or achieving their goals?

Ninjat_126:

But are they rendering themselves obsolete, or achieving their goals?

Maybe a bit of both. After a great success and achievement of all personal goals what then? What do they strive for?

I had a similar experience with my character in Oblivion. In the end I just had him put on his magic boots and simply walk on a river into the sunset. He will just go to the next country and have new adventures.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here