The Big Picture: If the Oscars Were the VGAs

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

If the Oscars Were the VGAs

An illustration of how VGAs are ruining our image.

Watch Video

That was... Hilarious, interesting, and sad all at the same time :(. Here's to hoping that it will not happen in this lifetime.

Ouch. That last one stung.

They mistreated Felicia Day...the perfect woman. So...much....RAGE!

If the Oscars were the VGAs...
Avatar would have won best picture

I think it's safe to assume that most people in the Escapist community do not watch, nor take the VGA's seriously at all. That said, I do think you're right that all this constant pandering to the FPS genre is hurting us as a fandom.

The end was hilarious, but didn't other show on the Escapist adressed this issue. That show who got canceled about two guys and a chick who was on thursday for a year or something. Uh...

There is still DICE awards anyway.

Did Shigeru Miyamoto really watch a man get teabagged on stage? I'm sorry Japan. Not *everyone* in the US is lame.

I still surprised people take it seriously. At least with some people I know in real life and online, the Game Developer's Choice awards and the Interactive Arts and Sciences awards were followed with more credibility.

Even the Video Game BAFTAs is better than the VGAs despite it's odd choice of categories and nominees sometimes.

If the Oscars were the VGAs, we'd all be complaining that a samey, insubstantial Paramount blockbuster won again, not even acknowledging the actual people listed in the credits.

Parts of this were hilarios. Although most of the film referances went right over my head.

If the Oscars where the VGA's Killer Elite would win Best Picture.

Stabby Joe:
I still surprised people take it seriously. At least with some people I know in real life and online, the Game Developer's Choice awards and the Interactive Arts and Sciences awards were followed with more credibility.

Even the Video Game BAFTAs is better than the VGAs despite it's odd choice of categories and nominees sometimes.

Spike's VGAs are the most visible award show, hence the comparison to Oscars. There are far "artsier" awards in the movie industry that mean a lot more to the people actually interested in movies as art, but the show that basically represents the medium are the Oscars. The closest thing gaming has to that are the VGAs. And it's also the award show that people who aren't fans of the medium are most likely to hear about. Now, if people who don't care about movies tune in for the Oscars to see what the big deal is, they aren't in for a terrible suprise. People might bitch about some movie winning while another loses, but by and large there isn't anything nearly as insulting to the medium as the VGAs put on for gaming.

To summarize everything that's wrong with the VGAs: Spike TV 'nuff said.

Shadowstar38:
Parts of this were hilarios. Although most of the film referances went right over my head.

...but killer elite was good.

I mean it's not best picture material, I'll give you that, but I liked it.

I felt more sorry for Hideo Kogima when he was on the VGAs. He looked completely lost, as if he'd just been dropped into it with no rehearsal.

Also, Charlie Sheen? CHARLIE SHEEN!? Come on, at least make an attempt to keep it within the games industry. They could have brought in Vin Diesel, what with his roles in Wheelman and the Riddick series, and still appealed to both their Spike/Gamer demographic and the rest of the gamer demographic.

Jandau:

Stabby Joe:

Spike's VGAs are the most visible award show, hence the comparison to Oscars. There are far "artsier" awards in the movie industry that mean a lot more to the people actually interested in movies as art, but the show that basically represents the medium are the Oscars. The closest thing gaming has to that are the VGAs. And it's also the award show that people who aren't fans of the medium are most likely to hear about. Now, if people who don't care about movies tune in for the Oscars to see what the big deal is, they aren't in for a terrible suprise. People might bitch about some movie winning while another loses, but by and large there isn't anything nearly as insulting to the medium as the VGAs put on for gaming.

Oh I understand why people hear about... and yet I still don't know why however.

If the Oscars where the VGA's Uwe Boll would have a shot at a award other then worst off...

Well, my imagination has now physically hurt me. Thanks Bob...

oh so predictable, I knew the moment I saw the tittle what this video was going to contain, some whining that the shitty era of people like him being the definition of gamers is over, a few cheap jokes, one of which didn't make sense in context (last I checked Skyrim, a fantasy rpg won goty, so the hypothetical oscar should go to LotR, the fantasy film) and some jerking off to Miyamoto

The VGA's were on again this year?

Sutter Cane:

Shadowstar38:

...but killer elite was good.

I mean it's not best picture material, I'll give you that, but I liked it.

The joke was that Jason Statham is the Al Pacino of Spike TV's demographic which would make his last movie Oscar material. Assuming you can follow that analogy.

To be fair to Green Lantern... Tree of Life was also a piece of shit (Oh, I said it!)

Sporky111:

Also, Charlie Sheen? CHARLIE SHEEN!? Come on, at least make an attempt to keep it within the games industry. They could have brought in Vin Diesel, what with his roles in Wheelman and the Riddick series, and still appealed to both their Spike/Gamer demographic and the rest of the gamer demographic.

Yeah, but Vin is actually a gamer and could have lent some credibility (to the moment at least) by actually knowing what he was talking about. The second he started making sense they would cut him off by having Nathan Drake fall in from the ceiling and start a horribly choreographed fight sequence with a dozen black and Asian stunt performers.

If the oscars were the VGAs, nobody from the MPAAS (AKA The Academy) would be there or watching.

A lot of the VGA's problems are Spike related. Although unlike the UFC which thankfully is jumping to Fox next year and undergoing a drastic image change, I doubt the VGA's will change much.

And this is why I pay absolutely no attention to the VGAs. All I needed to hear was that it was the "Spike VGAs" to know it would be nothing but hyper-masculine crap.

Furbyz:

I didn't watch, what did they do to Felicia Day?

Why does everyone act so surprised that awards shows are bullshit? They're about ART, pretty much the most subjective thing in the goddamn universe. The entire concept of the award show is chicanery. The VGAs are far more honest than the Oscars, because we can all acknowledge that we don't care who won what award -- we came here to see trailers, because they're all penned up in one place.

walsfeo:

Furbyz:

I didn't watch, what did they do to Felicia Day?

I didn't either. That's just what Bob said, and the mere concept enrages me to the nth degree.

Had to look up who Brett Ratner was. Yeah, he'd have been right at home with the Spike TV crowd.

So right... So, so RIGHT!

I actually want to apologise to Miyamoto in person. Get down on my hands and knees and beg his forgiveness that such a thing like the VGAs exists.

I''m sorry Shigeru.

I'm so sorry.

Well, the Oscars have their own issues. The way Hollywood tries to ignore the formulaic blockbusters that make them money, and place all the attention on formulaic period dramas and bio-pics with pretensions of a "message". As Bob himself noted in a previous vid, the Oscars are dominated by older actors, so directors, writers, music, and the audio-visual-technical elements take a back seat to the acting. The former are rewarded for making the latter look good, hence David Seidler won for The King's Speech when his direction amounted to putting two brilliant actors with a great script in the same room and rolling tape, while Christopher Nolan was snubbed for an original work like Inception.

But at least the Oscars don't roll trailers during the damned awards ceremony, nor allow celebrities from non-film-related fields to hog the spotlight.

The Spike VGAs always struck me as an awards show run by people who have no clue what they're talking about beyond they know video games are cool for their audience.

I'm not talking about the hosts, I'm talking about the people at Spike who put his together. I think the executives at Spike TV Googled popular video games and ran with the resulting collection of CoD memes.

I don't always reply to videos on The Escapist
But when I do, it's because OMG PINKIE PIE!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here