The Big Picture: If the Oscars Were the VGAs

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

MovieBob:
If the Oscars Were the VGAs

An illustration of how VGAs are ruining our image.

Watch Video

if the Oscars were the VGA's - Michel Bay would win best director, every year

if the Oscars were the VGAs - Sepharoth would win 'greatest villain of all time'

if the Oscars were the VGA's - i still wouldn't watch it :D

its an awards show, Oscars, VGAs, Grammys, w/e none of them are really worth sitting through, not when i have a movie i could be watching, or beating the crap out of a raid boss or something worth staying awake for.

If the Oscars were like the VGAs... they would only give out one Oscar in the first hour. The rest of the hour would be dedicated to teabag and douchebag jokes.

If the Oscars were like the VGAs... all nominated best actresses would be forced to demean themselves in cake frosting for teenage boys' amusement.

If the Oscars were like the VGAs... James Cameron would forced to have another man's scrotum rubbed on his face for going too long in his award speech.

If the Oscars were like the VGAs... a Ben Stiller skit would have him laugh at how "Alfred Hitchcock's" name ends in "cock".

If the Oscars were like the VGAs... the best Picture winner would be a movie that 1/3rd of all viewers would not be allowed to finish watching because the movie would drop framerates, then freeze, and ultimately crash.

If the Oscars were like the VGAs... there would be a category called "Best Use of Product Placement" and Michael Bay would win every time.

If the Oscars were like the VGAs... Tom Green or Andy Dick would host.

If the Oscars were like the VGAs... you'd walk away thinking the entire movie industry was run by horny, immature, dimwitted, crass, sexist teenage perverts that taint the entire human gene pool.

You're right Bob we should all put aside our differences and accept that different people have different tastes but we can all share what we enjoy and find a common ground instead of pandering to a thankless demographic. And you're right, movies and video games represent 2 totally different artforms and schools of practice. I mean even though we might not like call of duty or transformers, millions of people do and thats cool because who are we to judge them? I mean we spent OUR whole lives being judged negativly for liking our nerdy shit so why can't we set an example instead of purpetuating the same tired old shit that we grew up with in school.

Oh wait....

I had to see if this was real.

Seriously, what the fuck is this?

If the Oscars were the VGAs, it would be in a world where MovieBob doesn't spend all his game-related posts while metaphorically performing fellatio on Miyamoto and crying about the ghost of gaming past.
#IWentThere.

Anoni Mus:

CommanderKirov:
Weeeeeell... Miyamoto da Vinci of gaming... The guy is good, but let's not jump ahead of ourselves there.

Name me other people who had more influence in the video game industry than Miyamoto.

John Carmack. Have you got any idea how many engines have been based around his Quake engine architecture? Or how about Tim Sweeney, whose engine is the most widely used right now in the AAA industry? That's surely influential? Or Sid Meier, who has the largest digital footprint of any game developer? Or Gabe Newell, who started the trend of narrative FPS and leads the way in digital distribution? Or Richard Garriott, who basically set the standard for WRPGs and JRPGs? Or Chris Avellone, who is responsible for Planescape:Torment, Baldur's Gate, New Vegas, 'nuff said?

Again Bob is hating on Rush Hour.....
Im not amused.

Furbyz:
They mistreated Felicia Day...the perfect woman. So...much....RAGE!

Admittably, I haven't had that much exposure to Ms. Day, beyond Mass Effect and some god awful Dragon Age internet series. But on seeing the latter, she is no way a perfect woman. She is not a very good actress in the flesh. Speaking of "flesh", the VGA might as well treat her as a booth babe seeing as how the tv show already did.

Bob is probably right about the universally despised VGAs, but that doesn't make him sound any less of an elitist snob. Once again, Bob can't resist taking an opportunity to bitch about other people for liking different stuff; about how these guys are somehow a betrayal to his pretentious ideal of what a "gamer" should be like. Liking action games and sports and boobs does not make one deserving of contempt. You can't pretend their tastes are undeserving of the limelight; they represent one of the biggest demographics in the medium. It is this kind of "low-brow don't count" mentality that made the Oscars what it is today.

Yea the VGA's were embarrassing as hell and the If the Oscars Were the VGA's game was better then the entire show.

OT

holy shit new site layout.

MacNille:

Anoni Mus:

CommanderKirov:
Weeeeeell... Miyamoto da Vinci of gaming... The guy is good, but let's not jump ahead of ourselves there.

Name me other people who had more influence in the video game industry than Miyamoto.

___

Good episode Bob, but too short :/

Easy one, Sid Meir, Gabe Newell and Chris Avellone

Also:

David Crane.
Yu Suzuki.
Chris Crawford.
John Carmack.
Richard Bartle.
Richard Garriot.
Mark Cerny.

Ralph frickin' Baer.

I can keep going...

Anoni Mus:
Completly disagree. Gabe Newell is the Valve guy right? You really think his influence surpasses Miyamoto's? Heck, even his favourite games are Doom and SUPER MARIO 64.

Besides Miyamoto was responsible for helping saving the industry after the 1983 crash.

Whoa there, don't overstate your case...

The NES wasn't Miyamoto's idea, he didn't design it, it wasn't his idea to release in North America - which was the only territory that was actually affected by the Great Video Game crash - and he wasn't part of the massive marketing push that was required to sell it in North America.

Miyamoto's important enough without people buying into Nintendo's "game god" propaganda and overstating his influence...

If the Oscars were the VGA's, Martin Scorsese's name would be mispronounced. Badly.

That last line was awesome, Bob. Thanks to you I'm partially more informed about why I should hate Brett "Fags" Ratner.

I think that we should just be thankful no one pays attention to the VGAs. People outside of gamers have no reason to watch it, so it doesn't make us look any worse. People who really love games don't pay much attention to it, but it must get ratings with the "mainstream" crowd since it's still on. Hopefully it will go the way of Gforia or however it was spelled and mysteriously vanish. Naturally, I didn't watch it, because I had tried to a few years ago and couldn't stand it.

Bob, just stop talking about video games in general, stop it, STOP IT!! Your bias and Nintendo fanboyism is REALLY starting to get annoying.

I really am sorry for how badly you might have been picked on by high school douchebags in the 90s, but they are not running the game industry into the ground no matter what you might think. Fact is they ARE the group of casual gamers you keep whining that people should accept, and the only reason I see you have something against them is because they don't all apply to the Wii crowd of casual gaming.

Seriously Bob, just stick to movies, or comic books, you seem a lot more open minded towards those mediums and not suffering from some form of -ism or nostalgia when it comes to it. Your Nintendo "I hate modern games" fanboyism is really like the equivalent in movies to those hipster dip shit film snobs that think every movie after Jaws was a corporate piece of crap and every good movie today should be compared to the glorious movies of the 60s and 70s like Dogs Day Afternoon or Network and scrutinized for being inferior.

Of course Mario is hardly a Dogs Day Afternoon for gaming. Or a Network. It's equivalent would be in TV and it would be Scooby Dooby Doo...LoL

Yes, I'm making fun of your Mario, what of it??

Grygor:

MacNille:

Anoni Mus:

___

Good episode Bob, but too short :/

Easy one, Sid Meir, Gabe Newell and Chris Avellone

Also:

David Crane.
Yu Suzuki.
Chris Crawford.
John Carmack.
Richard Bartle.
Richard Garriot.
Mark Cerny.

Ralph frickin' Baer.

I can keep going...

Anoni Mus:
Completly disagree. Gabe Newell is the Valve guy right? You really think his influence surpasses Miyamoto's? Heck, even his favourite games are Doom and SUPER MARIO 64.

Besides Miyamoto was responsible for helping saving the industry after the 1983 crash.

Whoa there, don't overstate your case...

The NES wasn't Miyamoto's idea, he didn't design it, it wasn't his idea to release in North America - which was the only territory that was actually affected by the Great Video Game crash - and he wasn't part of the massive marketing push that was required to sell it in North America.

Miyamoto's important enough without people buying into Nintendo's "game god" propaganda and overstating his influence...

Sorry, but I'm a game designer myself, and my entire studio 100% views Shigeru Miyamoto as a "game god" and the Da Vinci of gaming.

You know what's a timeless masterpiece, something revered for its perfect use of form and function, a finely-tuned artistic endeavor created on a canvas without equal? It is seen by millions and is recognized instantly, admired by both children and sage adults; it has transcended time and weathered changing interests to endure as an eternal testament to creativity. It has been seen in museums and been the focus of documentaries. It has inspired legions of followers and produced artisans aspiring to its merits. It has been imitated, but never surpassed. Every year, a new generation of people experience it for the first time and respect it for its beauty, influence, and skill.

I'm not talking about the Mona Lisa. I'm talking about SUPER MARIO BROS.

I'm quite upset you would diminish the accomplishments of Shigeru Miyamoto. Now, granted, I am not saying he is the ONLY creator we should respect, but just like Michelangelo, Frank Lloyd Wright, Monet, and Alphonse Mucha, Da Vinci rose above his peers to a level of cultural influence beyond all others.

I have great respect for Shinji Mikami, Will Wright, Sid Meier, Gabe Newell, Cliff Blizinski, John Romero, Suda51, Hideo Kojima, Hironobu Sakaguchi, Richard Garriott, Ed Boon, Michel Ancel, Jordan Mechner, and so many others... but none of them, not a single one, can boast a resume as robust, diverse, or as universally beloved as Shigeru Miyamoto's.

From the influence of the platformers Mario and Donkey Kong to the puzzle-adventure Zelda to the mythological Kid Icarus to the garden strategy of Pikmin to the space shooter Star Fox to the lightning fast racer F-Zero to the RPGs of Super Mario RPG and Golden Sun to social games such as Mario Party and Animal Crossing to sports games ranging from Mario Tennis to boxing-classic Punch-Out!!

And those were just the games. His influence on system features, ranging from motion controls to rumble to wireless controls to dual screens to system connectivity to even the ability to save progress in a game (and eliminate passwords) changed the entire face of the industry for everyone.

There are plenty of other great creators out there who make phenomenal and original games that I love dearly... but only ONE man has so thoroughly and pervasively released so many timeless, beloved classics with such a wide range of diversity and with such a widespread, deeply felt influence on the entire landscape of game development.

And I'm proud to be in the industry he helped pave the way for.

maninahat:

Furbyz:
They mistreated Felicia Day...the perfect woman. So...much....RAGE!

Admittably, I haven't had that much exposure to Ms. Day, beyond Mass Effect and some god awful Dragon Age internet series. But on seeing the latter, she is no way a perfect woman. She is not a very good actress in the flesh. Speaking of "flesh", the VGA might as well treat her as a booth babe seeing as how the tv show already did.

Bob is probably right about the universally despised VGAs, but that doesn't make him sound any less of an elitist snob. Once again, Bob can't resist taking an opportunity to bitch about other people for liking different stuff; about how these guys are somehow a betrayal to his pretentious ideal of what a "gamer" should be like. Liking action games and sports and boobs does not make one deserving of contempt. You can't pretend their tastes are undeserving of the limelight; they represent one of the biggest demographics in the medium. It is this kind of "low-brow don't count" mentality that made the Oscars what it is today.

Felicia Day has degrees in mathematics and musical performance, going to college on a full violin performance scholarship. She wrote, directed, and starred in the hit web series The Guild and was a part of Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog. Hell, she was even in a few episodes of Buffy back in the day. Admittedly, I haven't seen the Dragon Age series or even played Mass Effect. Her nerd street cred could not be any higher. She is my idea of the perfect woman. Whether you share that opinion or not is, quite frankly, irrelevant. I feel certain I'd disagree with your idea of perfection as well, but I doubt I'd take the time time to say what amounts to, "No, you're wrong."

Good day

If the Oscars were the VGAs, the B-movie action flick season and the arthouse season would switch places.
But if the VGAs were Oscars, COD, Madden and Guitar Hero would lose Best Game to New Super Mario Bros Wii.

jackanderson:

Rocklobster99:

jackanderson:
When the people who are attending your awards ceremony are complaining about the ceremony and how you've treated them whilst it's still going on, it is most definitely time to re-evaluate your priorities.

I feel really sorry for Mark Hamill and Tara Strong. Their treatments were unacceptable. And I feel extremely sorry for host Zachary Levi. You could tell he wanted to host a good video game awards show and it killed me to slowly see part of him die as the night went on. With crappy pun after crappy pun and awful skit after awful skit. Internet: The man genuinely loves his games! Honest. He was just dealing with an awful script!

Jeff Gerstmann and Alex Navarro both wrote excellent pieces on the VGAs over at Giant Bomb if anyone's interested.

Great vid, Bob!

What happened to Mark Hamill and Tara Strong?

Shoved up into the bleachers and had the awards in their categories given out in the pre-show. They weren't aware until the internet informed them through Twitter. They mentioned that they didn't win, but they didn't care. They still would've preferred some recognition of their categories.

But yeah, to do that to Hamill and Strong... just disgraceful.

Thats a huge fucking dick move...Spike been going down hill since the brand change from TNN.

While I do agree that the VGAs are a giant piece of garbage, I unfortunantly found this whole episode more then a bit dull. Half of it was just the same sort of joke repeated over and over. And the other half was just pointing out what most people here already knew; the VGAs shouldn't be taken seriously. But they are unfortuantly taken seriously by some. Not to mention I like a few of the items you mentioned.

Expenables 2 have Chuck Norris.
-sigh-
I'm going into my bomb shelter, tell me when everyone stops the Chuck Norris jokes surrounding, involving, or "should of ended" of EX2.

Angry Joe said all this about the VGA's a long time ago. But somethign this bad defiantly bears repeating.

Oh the academy awards. That show clearly does not get quite enough respect.

You know. That one award show that gave 'best picture' to Dances with Wolves and Shakespeare in Love and gave 'best actress' to Hilary Swank TWICE. Clearly they are the true intelligentsia.

Wow people really hate nintendo to put Miyamoto and Bob down. Bob's whole argument wasen't even nintendo based. Granted Miyamoto isn't the only person to have an effect on the gameing industry. But Miyamoto had a bigger more wide spread infulence,that will spand for all time...nuff said

castlewise:
Did Shigeru Miyamoto really watch a man get teabagged on stage? I'm sorry Japan. Not *everyone* in the US is lame.

If we were in Japan, we would all need to commit suicide for dishonoring the talented developers by letting this award show exist. But think of how much worse it would be hosted by MTV.

Not so bad now, is it?

C2Ultima:

WAT FUCK?

How much did they pay that guy to do that! I mean really!?

It's kind of sad that after I saw Pinkie I stopped paying attention and started thinking about how I missed last weeks episode. I had to rewatch the whole section after that slide...

It's kind of sad that after I saw Pinkie I stopped paying attention and started thinking about how I missed last weeks episode. I had to rewatch the whole section after that slide...

If the oscars were the VGA's Megan Fox would win every female acting award.

Wait. They did a live IRL teabag? Seriously?? Wow...
Yeah, not regretting skipping it and checking all the trailers the next day.

I do like that, unlike the Oscars, the right game/movie wins.

Vicente de Lisboa:
I don't always reply to videos on The Escapist
But when I do, it's because OMG PINKIE PIE!

Yes, but he called her a "Dopey Meme".

Evil Alpaca:
The Spike VGAs always struck me as an awards show run by people who have no clue what they're talking about beyond they know video games are cool for their audience.

I'm not talking about the hosts, I'm talking about the people at Spike who put his together. I think the executives at Spike TV Googled popular video games and ran with the resulting collection of CoD memes.

I like the fact they had a few more people who actually know what they are doing (Chuck, Felicia Day) however the entire thing was a wee bit... childish? Hell, seeing a live reenactment of "The Wizard" would be less childish.

Tht would be totally sweet, brah!

C2Ultima:

They actually did that? I...that's...

That one was for you, Tara.

Capitano Segnaposto:

Yes, but he called her a "Dopey Meme".

Apparently, pony fans don't notice or care when they're being actively mocked.

Judging by a few videos of the VGA's on Youtube. This is just degrading I bet most of my friends who play mainly FPS would be embarrased. This medium has come so far and they still make it seem like we are freaking 12 year old boys.

You know... As much as I don't like the VGA's or more like I have no real peference. People say: "I am just glad CoD didn't game of the year," in a tone that suggests that it has before...

When it never has...

2011 - Skyrim
2010 - RDR
2009 - Uncharted 2
2008 - GTA4
2007 - Bioshock... and so on, it has NEVER won.

So stop trying to act like it has i na way to insult it, hell MW3 wasn't even nominated this year.

Also the fact that you said: Another Call of Duty map pack seriously lost some respect there. Following the bandwagon I see.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here