GinxTV: The Ginx Daily: Backchat

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

One word: Meh. Didn't find it funny. Will give it a chance, see if it improves (ala Jimqusition), but not looking good so far.

Also, it looks like The Escapist is searching for another attractive female to bring in the viewers after Lisa Foiles left...

HOLY CRAP, I remember when this and gameface were on Bravo in the UK last year with Julia Hardy (who I think went off to do columns in the UK magazine Gamemaster) doing the presenting, t'was a good show although I almost never agreed with their reviews and Playr was better but it still gives me something to watch daily when bored.

Something put me off about this video, I can't quite put my finger on it, I might give it a second chance if I'm bored, but definitely not something I'm going to actively await with baited breath.

Camera slightly too close to her face. Almost total lack of content. Looks like a trailer for something I've already missed and don't want to see any more of.

Opinion is meh, I'll watch it next week maybe.

Overall I am confused; I know I came into the middle of their thing so I will give it time. I agree with the idea that the jokes feel off and that the camera is too close.

The Show will get bonus points if she has different color eye shadow on every week and they never repeat a color.

Graham_LRR:

Zachary Amaranth:

Azuaron:
It's like Checkpoint, but without any real news, unfunny jokes, and the camera zoomed in way to far.

Not to mention without "personality."

I'm pretty sure Graham and Kathleen could read the side of a cereal box and I'd find them more endearing and interesting.

Aww!
:)

Careful there did you think desert bus would explode the way it did? The internet may come out in force for "Graham and Kathleen read the nutrition facts on cereal boxes".

The fastmoving and shallow "cool" radio DJ style format never appealed to me (give me people that sound natural and earnest, please) but I suppose it does have a significant market, judging by how commonplace it is and it sounds like Ginx has been around for a while in this guise, so who am I to start pointing at things -- to each; their own.

MorganL4:

Best of the 3:
Heh, so much negativity to a new show. Give it a chance people.

And the last clip full of BF3 can can made me laugh :D

Normally, I'd agree with this sentiment.... However from what I could gather from watching, it is not a "new" show it's just new to The Escapist, as such I feel it fails to meet quality control standards for the site.

Same could be said with the Jimquisition. Was not a new show when it joined here, and now it's one of the most popular (even if it's first 2 episodes in my opinion weren't as good as the current ones, or it's previus ones on youtube). Content like this shouldn't be shot down after just 1 showing in my opinion. Everything deserves a fair chance. If it doesn't work for you in the end, then oh well. If it does then everyone wins.

Somebloke:
The fastmoving and shallow "cool" radio DJ style format never appealed to me (give me people that sound natural and earnest, please) but I suppose it does have a significant market, judging by how commonplace it is and it sounds like Ginx has been around for a while in this guise, so who am I to start pointing at things -- to each; their own.

The weird thing is that GinxTV is its own site. Makes you wonder why they needed to come here, right?

Graham_LRR:

Zachary Amaranth:

Azuaron:
It's like Checkpoint, but without any real news, unfunny jokes, and the camera zoomed in way to far.

I'm pretty sure Graham and Kathleen could read the side of a cereal box and I'd find them more endearing and interesting.

Aww!

A Challenge!

Graham! Read the side of a box of serial during one of your feed dumps!

Ah England the only place that can rival Japan in exports of crazy stuff, and how I enjoy crazy stuff.

As other people have stated, this made me go meh. I miss the old escapist news that the LRR crew did every week. That's now on penny arcade btw.

this is odd can't say i liked it but i didn't not like it wow

I'll give it a few more views before I make a decision on weather or not I really like it like it. So far though I don't care too much. The skits seemed a bit lame but that's just me and, the Ultimate Marvel v Capcom thing got my hopes up again for a third Ultimate Alliance...then I realized she was commenting on Nemesis and R. Raccoon.

Best of the 3:
...And the last clip full of BF3 can can made me laugh :D

Same here. I quite liked that humor

Let's see what happens next week... Now off to watch the Jimquisition which also got a rather bad reception at first!

Looks like I get to add this to the list of things I will never watch on The Escapist. Jimquisition is no longer the only thing.

The camera is a bit close, dontcha think? Bahk awey, guhl!

I thought the BF3 thing was rather funny, though.

Found it amusing, and wouldn't mind a mini review/news video. I don't get why people have an issue with the accent though? Maybe they're just Anglophobes :P

Wenseph:
She was so cute and I loved her accent.

Oh, wait... It was about videogames.. Right.. <_< >_>

Well, I thought it was alright. I'll watch it again.

The thing is it really wasn't about video games. I mean.. it was like the kind of conversation you'd have with someone on the bus going somewhere. And if you didn't talk at all. Spent 2 seconds on each topic and then went on.

You know how some places will put up 'talking points' of things you can say at work every morning? Yeah it was kind of like that in video form.

I'll give it a couple more, like I did with Jim. But so far not so good.

She's cute, got a cute accent, and working with what's available. There's potential for an interest piquing show, though the dramatic voice doing it's lines is like a cheese grater to my audio sensibilities. She could use a co-host. Still, stick with it, we'll see how it goes. Just know, you're going to have to get something new in. For news, we've already got the 'sarcastic and funny' angle covered. Between Feed Dump, ENN/Checkpoint, Jimquisition, Extra Punctuation, and the skeptically-toned articles that proliferate this site, gaming news and odd misc news gets covered pretty well. Reading comments from some social media sites only serves as a source, for when the creativity bucket is running low. I'd rather it not be a whole show--if I wanted that, I'd watch that terrible Tosh.0.

Zachary Amaranth:

Azuaron:

I think I just found my challenge for Desert Bus next year...

I watched it, I gave it a fair chance, I don't think I'll be watching the next one.

I couldn't make it past the first 30 seconds. I'll stick with Hard News over at ScrewAttack for my VG news. If this show lead with the news, rather than social media user comments, I might have more interest.

I would've been impressed if it was a new effort, but the fact that this show has been around for a few years now makes me less sympathetic. It should feel a bit more... polished? I think that's what it's missing.

I don't really have any new comments; the camera was a bit too close, that announcing voice came up about three times more often than I'd be comfortable with, and some of the humour felt forced.

I am, however, weak for that accent, and the BF3 Can-Can thing was hilarious.

Oh and yes, it's a pretty girl as the host, but so what? Kathleen's pretty as well, but no Escapists ever complained about her getting so much camera time in ENN, because she was genuine. Having a pretty female host is only awkward if it's obvious they have no real interest in nerdery, and if Aoife was bored, she hid it well.

Is she Irish or something?

Also, this looks interesting but I hope it isn't going to be replacing LRR, who's weekly video wasn't headlined this week :(

And the can-can-man BF3 trooper was funny.

Should be interesting. A new show. I wasn't ALL that impressed but its far too early to make a judgement.

Good luck!

unacomn:
But regardless, this show falls a bit below what I expect from The Escapist content. It has neither the humor of ENN, nor the hats of Feed Dump, nor the informational value of just about all the other shows on the site.

Excellent first post critique. I agree whole-heartedly that it seems to lack a hook to capture the viewer's attention. If your only hook is "presentable female talking head" then I am sad at your standards.

The Escapist community is notoriously hard on new content. I've seen this time and time again. It's interesting how people are comparing the girl with Lisa Foiles, she was one who was harshly criticized when she debuted here.

I would comment about all the guys judging this on how cute or not the hostest is, but that does seem the be the best thing going for it.

That being said, I'll give it a few views before it joins table tales on my ignore list. Could do with a bit more humor or something to flavor it. Otherwise, this ep was only unconsiquencial gaming news that I forgot almost as soon as the lady stoped saying it.

It sounds like she's trying to speak American (US) english without an accent but is only getting ride of 45% of it. The slurrish speech seems like that.

unacomn:
The name sounds familiar. There was an attempt made by the MTV team in my country(The land of the never sailing commercial fleet) to launch a TV station with a similar name, that was also dedicated to gaming.

Indeed. That same show's still on NZ TV, at 10:30 each night for half an hour. I rarely catch it, as they've got very little non-repeated content.

Seriously, if I had a dollar for every time they'd run a segment on the Bionic Commando remake, I'd be a rich man. And not the sidescrolling Commando either. The full 3D one no-one liked.

Dull humour, lame format, fix that and it may have a place here, otherwise, quite like me watching this, it won't last a minute.

I found this to be a good considering it's their first episode. Jim started out being mostly hated but look at him now- he's favored by a lot of Escapists. Since I got a good impression from these people, I only can ensure they'll get better (plus have more to introduce.)

My only criticism is that I felt the show is trying to hard to keep our attention. Let the jokes, or basic steps in your show come naturally and you'll be on a roll. Least the girl seemed very confident so props to her on that. Looking forward to this show once episode 2 comes out.

Hooray for there being a new show!
Pros:
1. A girl! We've been without a lady with a regularly scheduled show since the tragic loss of Lisa Foiles.
2. I'm fine with a change of accent from the standard midwestern US or the occasional Aussie.
3. Um...gaming news? I guess?

Cons:
1. Pro tip: cutesy is only endearing if you can own up when it falls flat. I'm not feeling the host or her quirky little bits and unlike other shows here I don't think it's just from a lack of experience in the format of internet TV or due to it being the first episode.
2. You know I'm such a fool fer you. You got me wrapped around your fingar-uh-ha-ha. Do you have to let it lingur? [you know that dull ache in your head when you hear the host talk? That's your hippocampus strangling itself as it's forced to relive the first time you ever heard the Cranberries]
3. This is gaming news for the Bravo Network. Let me repeat that: BRAVO.
4. Not edgy. Not at all.

I'll try this show again when the next episode comes out. But things are not looking good for round 2.

Draconalis:

Graham_LRR:

Zachary Amaranth:

Aww!

A Challenge!

Graham! Read the side of a box of serial during one of your feed dumps!

If we hadn't already shot this week's, I totally would!

hmmmm maybe they should have used the lady from gameface, lisa something-or-other. since she actually was a reviewer and host.
still i'll give this show a fair try. but they need to zoom out and talk to us at an equal level not as if we are socially challenged.

This new content clashes deeply with the existing content. The great thing about The Escapist was all the great content of the type you don't see in traditional media. This is exactly the kind of lowest common denominator stuff that traditional media has tried and failed to use to attract an audience of gamers.

I know you guys have a dream of large audiences and mainstream success but you certainly are NOT going to get there aping traditional media. Traditional media has had its chance to grab this audience and they have failed. I won't be watching this one. In fact I have been splitting more of time between this site and PATV, the new home of the Extra Credits.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here