GinxTV: The Ginx Daily: Planet Of The Apps - Guide To 2011

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Ginx Daily: Planet Of The Apps - Guide To 2011

Planet of the Apps brings you the very best in mobile apps, handheld games and downloadable content. This week, Adam Savage straps on his helmet and hops on his time-travelling mountain bike as he looks back at the highlights of 2011.

Watch Video

My eyes... they bleed...

Sorry but thats the second strike, I can't see the point of this. It reminds me kinda of Blue Peter(UK) when I was younger, and that was painful to watch too

You kind of need to read us in on what your show does more. Seriously. But, seeing the title, you could have been a little more thorough in covering the history of apps this year. Could have done the rising Android Market (they recently hit 10 billion downloads recently, though I get the alien reference that might be the android take over, but it isn't clear), your personal favorites of the year. And where does the 3DS fit in?! I get that its portable, and Ocarina of Time came out but COME ON! Fill me in more please so things can go smoothly for us. You guys are just staring to spread, make sure you spread smoothly.

Continued unfunny writing, a particularly stupid plot and an attempt to be informative that just completely failed, Without the prospect of a reasonably attractive person to look at, there literally isn't any reason to watch this. It is completely below the standard of the other shows on this site, and it's quite obvious that we're not the intended audience for this. I'd understand if it was on a site like IGN or Gamespot, because they're generally filled with younger people, but not here.

Yeah, might have been a better idea to do your recap last week as I still don't know what I just watched.

I fail to see the aim of the video. Were you trying to be informative, or funny? Because you kinda were neither.

Also, I *think* this was an introduction to the whole app guide business, but it felt like a summary or conclusion.

I think that was funny? I don't really know what I just watched.

Is it just me or did that "guide" not drop any names?

At least you admitted that you were talking nonsense. This is going down to Feed Dump and Loading Ready Run levels, where the sarcastic stupidity stinks to me.

Is the "Don't bash our content providers" rule still in effect?

if not

imageimage

Aaarrgghhh...... brain....hurting....must.....break....monitor, to end pain.....

At least today wasn't the blonde terror on the screen. But that is like yahtzee said:
At least my horse costs now less to feed, after it is dead.

I watched that whole video and didn't see any actual coverage for the apps, just a bad Back to the Future parody and a few screenshots of portable games, you know actually mentioning the names of the apps your showing is generally helpful when giving a guide. At least it's better then yesterday's obnoxious close up of a girl reading nothing but old headline.

Damn, there are a lot of complainers. Almost every single new show gets this on the Escapist, it seems. Can't people be a bit open-minded about new stuff? Have a little patience. Tho sure, you could say that they're doing this for quite a while, and there's no excuse.
I guess, in the end, it's all about preferences. Or something like that. Anyways, haven't really developed a certain opinion yet, I'll look at least a few episodes more till i know for sure.

Owlslayer:

Can't people be a bit open-minded about new stuff? Have a little patience. Tho sure, you could say that they're doing this for quite a while, and there's no excuse.

I'm trying my best, but it's difficult with the stuff they are putting up on the site. There are a number of shows (Game Dogs comes to mind) that I never really liked, but this one is just bizarre. I don't get it, and hence it's boring. After seeing british-blond-talks-geek last time around my expectations weren't really high. This time around I'm left with a lukewarm 'meh' and not a lot more. Maybe the next one will give me a single chuckle (I'm seriously not expecting this show to make me laugh), or tell me a single interesting detail related to gaming. It's all I'm asking, and I don't think that's too much.

So, yeah...the bar for the next episode has been set so low that earthworms will have a difficult time passing under it.

I'm honestly still a little confused on what this exactly supposed to be...

A promo for another show? As that's all it really feels like.

Because as it is they really didn't do much to talk about any of the apps they were featuring - all they really did was mention a few apps during a bit of a skit, and I'm not sure what my take-away is supposed to be.

I mean if it is a promo for something else, fine - nothing wrong with a little cross site promotion (though it is a little annoying to see it push out more interesting video content), if not it definitely feels a little thin and lacking.

Watched it again and I suppose this makes sense, if you have like ten episodes reviewing Apps between where the guy goes into the past and then jumps back to now. May we see those episodes, please?

What happened to the cute girl and talk about videogames?

sad face : (

What was that?

You know I was going to give you until Friday to win me over but I changed my mind.
You lost me, this is just another show that I'm going to ignore like Miracle Of Sound, and just hope you go away quietly.

i liked this episode, rather humorous. well done

Hi guys,

I was a member of the team that produced this feature of Planet of the Apps, and I just wanted to address some of your concerns about this video and The Ginx Daily as a concept.

Don't worry, I come in peace - I just want to give a little context.

As some of you have noticed, both Backchat and Planet of the Apps are established brands on other formats (be them YouTube or TV), and there have been a few (not too many) episodes of both already.

In terms of Planet of the Apps - this is more of a guide to Planet of the Apps' year than a guide to apps in 2011, and as has been pointed out, there have been previous episodes that are referenced here, some of which can be found on our YouTube page.

This is really early days for us on The Escapist and we're testing things out, and all we want to do is make the best content we can for you guys. We're finding a new audience and we'd love to get to know you guys and find out what makes you tick.

Essentially, The Ginx Daily isn't 1 show, but 5, and we're still developing them as platforms on this website. You might like all of them, some of them or none of them, but we aim to give you a variety of material that we produce.

We love hearing what you think. So thanks for all the feedback, good or bad, we want to hear it!

Thanks,
Adam

P.s. Sorry, this got a bit lengthy.

I never thought I would say this, but I miss the girl who talked about video games...

AdamGinx:

Essentially, The Ginx Daily isn't 1 show, but 5, and we're still developing them as platforms on this website. You might like all of them, some of them or none of them, but we aim to give you a variety of material that we produce.

O'...* blink, blink *...I see. Huh, well, that makes a whole lot more sense now. So, you got the blond-chick, time-travelling-biker and then three more? Cool. Bring it. Just as a hint: you might have mentioned this before. It's really confusing without any background info, since not everyone here does in-depth Google searches on every piece of new content.

Now I am considerably certain on this, so I'm gonna ask straight away: Did the Escapist just find a way to get the money it desperately needs?

Hrm. Honestly this seemed worse than the one yesterday. Very poor choice of episode to introduce a new audience.

AdamGinx:
This is really early days for us on The Escapist and we're testing things out, and all we want to do is make the best content we can for you guys. We're finding a new audience and we'd love to get to know you guys and find out what makes you tick.

We love hearing what you think. So thanks for all the feedback, good or bad, we want to hear it!

The best feedback I can give is to have a bit of a look around the site. The Escapist is a bit different from most other sites in the business, because of a leaning towards examining beyond the surface of the games industry. Look at some of the columns like Extra Punctuation or go search for the video series Extra Credits, which used to be one of the most popular on the site. Naturally, the audience here like the content on the site to look a bit deeper, or at the least be informing them of something they aren't likely to come across in their day to day web browsing.

Didn't really like it although it's just bad luck that one of the first episodes on a new site is a recap. I'm not going to write it off yet but I'm not all that optimistic at this point.

I was interesting in knowing what those apps were... names should have been given, otherwise it seems like we should go and check out back episodes to hear you actually talking about them?

AdamGinx:

In terms of Planet of the Apps - this is more of a guide to Planet of the Apps' year than a guide to apps in 2011, and as has been pointed out, there have been previous episodes that are referenced here, some of which can be found on our YouTube page.

I think the issue here is planning - its as if the SciFi network (yes, I know its spelled differently now) came into a new market in the middle of a week-long Ed Wood Marathon and then couldn't figure out why the new audience didn't get what the channel is all about.

According to your website your programming lineup spans at least 16 hours a day - surely you could have found a better introductory set of videos from your backlog? Its entirely possible that you have content (or the resources to produce it) that can appeal to the Escapist's users, but it might be worth rethinking your delivery strategy.

This I didn't get, but i did enjoy the pretty blonde girl with the Scottish accent (sexy). Ill give each installment a fair shake before i pass judgement.

Patience! We're looking at our _first_ episode of a show, which happens to be a recap of that shows run. It's going to take few before it's fair to judge.

I twigged the multiple platform thing, but it sounds like a lot of the people watching these haven't yet, (it does have Daily in the title) so maybe it would have been better to just a 'this is what this is' episode (more so than Backchats yesterday) or even just a lot of explanatory text at the bottom of one of these videos, because it'd be a shame if you didn't make a great first impression because of some irrelevant conclusion.

I've really liked the tone of both of the shows so far and enjoyed the presenters, so I'm looking forward to here about some apps in the coming weeks :D

THEY HAVE THEIR OWN SITE WHY ARE THEY COMING HERE!?! JUST USE SPACE JUMP YOU NINNIES!!

Seriously, why? They're coming in here with their own damn continuity, ballsing ours all up. Okay, yes, LRR, but (with the exception of their cH episodes) there isn't much continuity from video to video, and even in commodore hustle, you can still get the humor without any background (the episode that got me hooked on LRR was It's Magic, a cH episode). Here, I'm just like, "why is May 2011 the starting point for everything? Why is that homeless guy so important?" Yes, it's a "back to the future" parody: NOW MAKE IT FUNNY. cH is at least still funny without context, and if you want to introduce something, you put your best foot forward. You've been doing this since at least May, if I'm not mistaken; surely you can give us funnier sh*t than this. I would be willing to give this series the benefit of the doubt if...look, just go to GinxTV. Google or something, I don't care. See anything familiar, people? That's right, they're trying to be US. You have your own goddamn site - USE IT! And Escapist, put something actually entertaining on here - bring back Lisa, or Drinking Games, or hell, just have someone write another column - anything but THIS!

...phew...all the hate's out of my system, I think. Enough on the shift for now. I am still not prepared to give this one a chance, though.

A self referential look back at things that probably didn't require looking back at isn't really the best idea for the second episode of a lackluster show.

AdamGinx:
Hi guys,

I was a member of the team that produced this feature of Planet of the Apps, and I just wanted to address some of your concerns about this video and The Ginx Daily as a concept.

Don't worry, I come in peace - I just want to give a little context.

Fellow content provider here. Greetings.

Context is exactly what you need to to be providing. I've never heard of Ginx before yesterday, and despite it clearly having a following outside of The Escapist, you really need to assume that nobody here knows or cares about you to begin with.

We came to the site with immense in-joke baggage from our existing show, but we made sure that everything was still accessible to the huge number of new viewers. Slowly, over the years, we've worked in old references and jokes, as well as created a new history here.

Right now, nobody here knows who you are, and you've thus far done a poor job of explaining why anyone should listen or care. That takes time, but you need to make a better start.
Posting here is a good move!

If you want the viewers here to give you respect, you can't treat this like another just video host to mirror your existing content.

Take the time to introduce yourselves, and you'll be much better off, but if that is all you're doing, expect a negative reaction.

So are these trailers for another website to poach traffic off of The Escapist?

I hope Ginx are paying you well for these adverts, because that's all they are.

They're also not every well made. Neither of them makes me want to go to their own website and investigate any other videos.

I read the video description and expected a Mythbuster

I am sorely dissapointed

its all well and good being new and having a ton of existing content dood. but we have no idea who you guys are. and in reality a look back over your 2011 best bits isnt an introduction but rather a "go check out our site instead"
a nice attempt and i hope you do better but not the greatest start.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here