Trailers: Star Wars: The Old Republic - Inquisitor Character Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Inquisitor Character Trailer

The Inquisitor's class progression can be, quite literally, killer.

Watch Video

and yet, still very dull to watch.

Wow wasn't that a SHOCKINGLY good Trailer

If anyone who didn't try the beta wants to know: yes, that is as good as the game looks. In fact Knights of The Old Republic, that gem of a game BioWare gave us in *2003* looks way better.

Arec Balrin:
If anyone who didn't try the beta wants to know: yes, that is as good as the game looks. In fact Knights of The Old Republic, that gem of a game BioWare gave us in *2003* looks way better.

I...just don't get it. It makes so little sense why the graphics are so low res. I understand art styles, and perhaps even begrudgingly accept that their needed so more people can play the game. I just don't see why they need to have it look so...bleh.

Funny though the newly released Guild wars 2 Mesmer feels more Sith like then the actual sith Class.

Yeah, but can it do this?

So this is what the game looks like? Wow, the 1% in me that was interested just disappeared. Scratching this off my list...

And no, before anyone says anything, I know graphics aren't everything. Shush.

Arec Balrin:

I've actually played both KOTOR and KOTOR 2 in the last few months. I've played the beta during the last two weekends. Your glasses are so remarkably rose tinted, I'm afraid you might have gone completely blind.

TOR looks remarkably better than KOTOR games do and that's even without anti-aliasing, Ultra settings and everything else that comes with a final build (although you can go ahead and google some screenshots/videos where people forced AA if you're so inclined, the Ultra option ain't in yet though).

Vrach:

Arec Balrin:

I've actually played both KOTOR and KOTOR 2 in the last few months. I've played the beta during the last two weekends. Your glasses are so remarkably rose tinted, I'm afraid you might have gone completely blind.

TOR looks remarkably better than KOTOR games do and that's even without anti-aliasing, Ultra settings and everything else that comes with a final build (although you can go ahead and google some screenshots/videos where people forced AA if you're so inclined, the Ultra option ain't in yet though).

Thank you!

I don't understand why some people have to constantly bitch over ever little thing, here I will try it with Guild Wars 2:

I got nothin. I will just be the sane guy and play "BOTH" games at the same time. Will save me time and headaches.

2xDouble:

That was pretty poor... and in the first section the enemy just kept running WHILE being hit, as if it didn't know anyone was hitting it.

The other sections were very repetitive and didn't seem very mesmerish.

---

As for the Sith Inquisitor...

Acrisius:
So this is what the game looks like? Wow, the 1% in me that was interested just disappeared. Scratching this off my list...

The game is actually very good, no idea what you see wrong with the graphics, though I don't think those have anti-aliasing on.

The progression TRAILER is awful though for that one class.

Played it in Beta - was shit.
The class was balanced for grinding, but the storyline was so fucking dull I wanted to drink bleach by the end of the 3 days.
And yes, the graphics are hideous along with the space fighting.

Delsana:

2xDouble:

That was pretty poor... and in the first section the enemy just kept running WHILE being hit, as if it didn't know anyone was hitting it.

---

Acrisius:

The game is actually very good, no idea what you see wrong with the graphics, though I don't think those have anti-aliasing on.

The poor graphics was just the final straw. If I want a good story, I'll play a proper singleplayer game to get it. And that seems to be about the only thing remotely unique or interesting this game has to offer, beyond swinging retractable neon-dildos and shooting lightning out of every pointy part of your body. I'm just not interested.

Acrisius:

Delsana:

2xDouble:

---

Acrisius:

The poor graphics was just the final straw. If I want a good story, I'll play a proper singleplayer game to get it. And that seems to be about the only thing remotely unique or interesting this game has to offer, beyond swinging retractable neon-dildos and shooting lightning out of every pointy part of your body. I'm just not interested.

Let's be serious here:

Lightning only comes out of their fingertips, no where else, EVER.

The "poor graphics" don't exist, you need to look for the anti-aliasing ones.

So you'd like to deprive story being in other games? That's the point of an RPG... you know what WoW killed by taking the RPG out of MMORPG.

Neon dildos? They look nothing like it, this isn't the crap game Saints Row 3.

Vrach:

Arec Balrin:

I also just replayed KoTOR, in 1080p with max settings on PC, and I thought it looked great. I can't compare it directly to TOR because of the change in art styles, but my personal preferences is KoTOR's graphics all the way.

Gustof26:

Arec Balrin:

I...just don't get it. It makes so little sense why the graphics are so low res. I understand art styles, and perhaps even begrudgingly accept that their needed so more people can play the game. I just don't see why they need to have it look so...bleh.

Funny though the newly released Guild wars 2 Mesmer feels more Sith like then the actual sith Class.

I also think it looks bleh, and I think the reason is because TOR is built on a middleware engine from several years ago, the HERO engine, so the graphics are out of Bioware's control. The choice to use an off the shelf engine instead of developing one from scratch is the reason the game turned out cookie-cutter despite their best efforts.

Delsana:

Acrisius:

Delsana:

---

Let's be serious here:

So you'd like to deprive story being in other games? That's the point of an RPG... you know what WoW killed by taking the RPG out of MMORPG.

Take a chill-pill, you're way too serious about it.

1. Lightning shoots out of practically anything in all the trailers and vids I've seen. Yeah we get it, force lightning is cool, but they didn't have to go and shove it in our faces to the point where even something as cool as that gets bland.

2. The game looks like shit compared to contemporary contenders. Even WoW looks better because WoW has its own style. This just looks like KOTOR1 with a polished engine, and I'm not just talking about this one trailer. Though this was the worst one I've seen, clearly.

3. Again, we get it. Lightsabers are cool. Part of what made them cool was that not everyone and their mother had 2 in every pocket of their outfit. And yeah, the bad graphics and physics kinda make them look like really stiff neon-dildos.

4. Let me clarify. A good story in a game is awesome, regardless of whether it's SP or MP. However, in this case, that's the only thing this game has going for it really. It's not worth my interest for that small reason alone. I won't play an MMO that is basically a SP-game with a subscription fee.

5. That Mesmer-trailer was pretty cool, and you're just nitpicking because you're trying to defend SWOR.

6. Good night, Merry Christmas.

EDITED FOR TYPOS.

7. I still can't believe this is not butter!!!

isometry:

Vrach:

Arec Balrin:

I also just replayed KoTOR, in 1080p with max settings on PC, and I thought it looked great. I can't compare it directly to TOR because of the change in art styles, but my personal preferences is KoTOR's graphics all the way.

Gustof26:

Arec Balrin:

I also think it looks bleh, and I think the reason is because TOR is built on a middleware engine from several years ago, the HERO engine, so the graphics are out of Bioware's control. The choice to use an off the shelf engine instead of developing one from scratch is the reason the game turned out cookie-cutter despite their best efforts.

You're aware you're just giving an opinion right?

There are no facts for your statement, and it isn't cookie cutter.

Acrisius:

Delsana:

Acrisius:

Let's be serious here:

Take a chill-pill, you're way too serious about it.

1. Lightning shoots out of practically anything in all the trailers and vids I've seen. Yeah we get it, force lightning is cool, but they didn't have to go and shove it in our faces to the point where even something as cool as that gets bland.

2. The game looks like shit compared to contemporary contenders. Even WoW looks better because WoW has its own style. This just looks like KOTOR1 with a polished engine, and I'm not just talking about this one trailer. Though this was the worst one I've seen, clearly.

3. Again, we get it. Lightsabers are cool. Part of what made them cool was that not everyone and their mother had 2 in every pocket of their outfit. And yeah, the bad graphics and physics kinda make them look like really stiff neon-dildos.

4. Let me clarify. A good story in a game is awesome, regardless of whether it's SP or MP. However, in this case, that's the only thing this game has going for it really. It's not worth my interest for that small reason alone. I won't play an MMO that is basically a SP-game with a subscription fee.

5. That Mesmer-trailer was pretty cool, and you're just nitpicking because you're trying to defend SWOR.

6. Good night, Merry Christmas.

EDITED FOR TYPOS.

7. I still can't believe this is not butter!!!

---

No, as a person who will very much get both games just as I get nearly every game that is released unless it is utter crap... I can say that I didn't like the Mesmer trailer and it did not interest me in any regard.

Lightning, once again, never shoots from anything but finger tips. I tested the SI from 1 - 42... nothing like what you're talking about was ever seen.

The graphics were quite good with a 570X... and WoW is painfully bare so no idea what you're getting at with that.

Let's also not forget that WoW had its own issues when it first released as all MMO's invariable do due to the huge amount of content.

The story thing isn't the only thing, it also has voice acting, inclusion, a good crafting system, and many other options, such as ships and what not.

And light sabers are as common in this game as they were in the Prequels which also had a lot of Jedi.

Delsana:

2xDouble:

That's because it's a skills video. It was designed to show how a few Mez skills look, just like the other 7. The enemies were tweaked so they would behave according to the script and die on cue. However, they do some things that are curious Inquisitor doesn't, like wield his blade with the Force, or use it to confuse and stun-lock enemies or physically move them into danger.

Delsana:

Really? Starkiller seemed perfectly fine channeling it into and out of lightsaber strikes in both of his games... and they're apparently canon. Funny how nobody else does that... Not very efficient use of energy, if you ask me. Too little focus means not enough transference.

heh.

2xDouble:

Delsana:

2xDouble:

That's because it's a skills video. It was designed to show how a few Mez skills look, just like the other 7. The enemies were tweaked so they would behave according to the script and die on cue. However, they do some things that are curious Inquisitor doesn't, like wield his blade with the Force, or use it to confuse and stun-lock enemies or physically move them into danger.

Delsana:

Really? Starkiller seemed perfectly fine channeling it into and out of lightsaber strikes in both of his games... and they're apparently canon. Funny how nobody else does that... Not very efficient use of energy, if you ask me. Too little focus means not enough transference.

heh.

The assassin channels it into the saber too, but it COMES FROM THE FINGERTIPS, the blade just acts as a conduit. Funny how no one mentions THAT.

---

Maybe you need to see those abilities again?

Electrocute
Thrash
Power up
Force lightning
Static Shield
Chain Lightning
Lightning Bolt
Affliction
Lightning Storm
Thunderous Blast

Lightning power up
Lightning power up 2
Overload
Cloak
Stab
Death Field
Whirlwind

That's the list of abilities used in there, one crowd control whirlwind near the 2 minute mark of sorts, and electrocute is the very quick and short ranged stun shock that they use too.

No teleports, true.

(Trailer < getting into both weekend beta tests and playing the game)

The versions that I played were both very fun and it was good to see how they worked it. With the advanced classes you can get them at level 10 once you finish the first planet. Basically, get this game...

2xDouble:

Delsana:

2xDouble:

Delsana:

heh.

Keep in mind that there are a ton of force classes in the game, so the fact that one doesn't have any abilities that you describe does not mean the others don't. I know for a fact Knights/Warriors get force push, as well as choke, and throw lightsaber.

That last part is true for the Inquisitor(the assassin specifically), they get an ability called "lightning charge" which causes the lightsaber to do extra damage on the swing.

Also, this isn't a skills video or a story preview it's a armor progression trailer. it's soley meant to display what kind of character you can look like while you level.

lastly: I have no idea what shit you intended to start by posting GW2 stuff, but that's pretty low, not to mention off-topic.

I played in the beta, and i can safely say (since the 'dont say nothin about the game' clause was lifted for some reason) you guys are going to miss out. A few things (when i played sith warrior, not sure about other classes but i assume they're similar):

One: Combat is actually dynamic and exciting in TOR. Even in PvE you don't just right click, then grab cheetos while your guy pwns. Each and every lightsaber swing is an ability unto itself, with real power behind it. One thing i disliked about WoW was that the player had little input - sure, every now and again you used an ability, but the rest of the time you just clicked and waited while your character swung his/her weapon around.

Two: I played the game on medium settings, and while i will admit that in retrospect some of the alien models (hutts in particular) could do with a touch-up, the art style didn't detract at ALL from the experience. (Though i will admit that alt-tabbing caused the textures to pop out and take a little to pop back in - i assumed that was cuz it was a beta)

Three: I managed to get into the beta twice. A day and a half was just barely enough time for me to get my starship (i spent the other day and a half trying to get an unrelated virus out of my comp - don't ask) If i hadn't been rushing, I probably would've gotten there faster. And the starship - THAT is when the story got interesting.

Four: You've noticed they're pushing that this MMO is fully voiced, right? There's a reason for that. A, it's true, and B, it works. Seriously. You CANNOT underestimate the difference between learning your quest via text that writes itself, and learning your quest by having a conversation with the quest giver themselves.

Five: Lightsabers are still cool, but for a completely different reason in this game: they're cool because you have to work for your first one - it's not like they drop off of every enemy you fight - they're actually pretty rare (especially given there was a higher concentration of bounty hunters and agents than i expected). It gave me the feeling that this was MY lightsaber - MY weapon. To the degree that i actually went Juggernaut for the singular reason that they only wield one. And the fact that lightsabers are common among other players didn't detract from that (perhaps it will with higher pops - we'll see) because very, very few of the NPCs i actually fought had lightsabers (i think there were maybe four or five, and i managed to visit five or six planets in that time) and none of them gave me lightsabers when they dropped.

However, i will admit that some of the armor just looks... UGH! Is that mask made of flesh?

Delsana:
The assassin channels it into the saber too, but it COMES FROM THE FINGERTIPS, the blade just acts as a conduit. Funny how no one mentions THAT.

Into the saber, yes, but not out of it. Starkiller and Mesmer both did that, as I said, and Inquisitor does not. Giving the skills names does nothing to dispute that. (Really? you need 6 different skills for shooting stuff with lightning and more than two for charging your weapon with it? talk about repetitive...)

Although, upon closer inspection, I see Whirlwind's lightning comes out of the ground. No sparks or anything from Mr. Assassin, just that "dark energy" they're using to represent force power. No lightning from fingertips there... but that's just picking nits, isn't it?

Look, Star Wars is a cool franchise, and TOR is not a bad game. The whole point was to draw parallels and show some things other people thought of that Lucasarts should have. After all, they did once.

HalfTangible:

However, i will admit that some of the armor just looks... UGH! Is that mask made of flesh?

I've played in 3 beta weekends on 3 different builds, and the armor looks better and more unique each build. With the armor mod system it's very easy to keep with gear you really like, so around level 16 I found a chest piece I really like and kept it until I ended my weekend at 30.

Other than that I completely agree.

2xDouble:

Delsana:

Into the saber, yes, but not out of it. Starkiller and Mesmer both did that, as I said, and Inquisitor does not. Giving the skills names does nothing to dispute that. (Really? you need 6 different skills for shooting stuff with lightning and more than two for charging your weapon with it? talk about repetitive...)

Although, upon closer inspection, I see Whirlwind's lightning comes out of the ground. No sparks or anything from Mr. Assassin, just that "dark energy" they're using to represent force power. No lightning from fingertips there... but that's just picking nits, isn't it?

Look, Star Wars is a cool franchise, and TOR is not a bad game. The whole point was to draw parallels and show some things other people thought of that Lucasarts should have. After all, they did once.

When I was testing I never saw it just pop out of the ground. Also, I know the assassin had conduit skills that came out of the saber if he charged it from hsi fingers.

How is more skills repetitive rather than less skills? The less skills I have to use the more repetitive and lack of replay I feel.

Delsana:

2xDouble:

Delsana:

When I was testing I never saw it just pop out of the ground. Also, I know the assassin had conduit skills that came out of the saber if he charged it from hsi fingers.

How is more skills repetitive rather than less skills? The less skills I have to use the more repetitive and lack of replay I feel.

I think he's under the impression that 'shoot lightning' only happens and works one way =/

At this point if you weren't sold on getting this game or not, watching a progression video about one class is not going to change your mind. You're the person that's going to wait and see what everyone else says, or wait until you get a few weeks to play for free before diving in, if you ever do.

I had a friend in beta who had a blast with the Inquisitor class... it doesn't have the same brutality as the Warrior class does, but again... Lightning. One's primarily ranged fighting, the other melee... just like with Jedi Guardian and Sentinel classes.

These aren't exactly the best created videos in the world, but I think half the issue is the frequency of them. Bioware's pretty much done one for every class, and the demographic's been flooded with them now. I'll be playing in the head start time beginning in a few days, and even I'm sick of the videos.

2xDouble:

heh.

Actually, Starkiller is rather debatable as canon for a lot of people. In most cases when it comes to the force, Starkiller is considered the exception rather than the rule. No one in the entire canon of Star Wars comes even close to what he can do with the force... things like force pulling a star destroyer planetside are not common occurences.

Putting shit like that in TOR would be retarded... thousands of Starkillers vying for the top spot, it'd be silly to the point of unplayable.

All these trailers, all this gameplay footage, all the hype and yet its still not interesting me.

The lightning looks too overpowered too, kind of like the MMO's answer to the noobtube.

my god...Opinions are Flying everywhere it seems

thanks alot escapist you started a flame war

One thing I've learned from this site, and gaming sites in general, is that if a game isn't the second coming of Christ while giving out ice cream and handjobs, its not worth anyone's time. Everyone's got this idea that this game is supposed to be some revolution in MMos. It really isn't. Having said that, I had fun in the beta, so they'll be getting my money. At least for a little while.

Hmm, it's not a great trailer. I say that because, although I'm not a fan of TOR for several reasons, I'd still say that it looks better than that when played. There are problems with the visuals - like the inexplicable absence of any day/night cycle and awful weather effects - but generally the graphics are clean and neat, if unremarkable.

2xDouble:

Delsana:

And you don't seem to understand that abilities not only need to have balance, but need to be visually unique to the class. The inquisitor throws lightning around a lot. Don't like that? Play a consular and throw stuff.

Also, AFAIK only the assassin get's the saber charges and only 1 of them is lightning based, the other one is "darkness charge" which you draw darkness into the lightsaber to increase a bunch of stats for tanking. In fact the assassin didn't use lightning all that much, there were a ton of melee abilities.

HalfTangible:
I think he's under the impression that 'shoot lightning' only happens and works one way =/

No, I'm under the impression that "shoot lightning" is the only thing you need. When and at what you "shoot lightning" determines what it does, how it moves, etc.; not the way you shoot it.

Quiotu:
Actually, Starkiller is rather debatable as canon for a lot of people. In most cases when it comes to the force, Starkiller is considered the exception rather than the rule. No one in the entire canon of Star Wars comes even close to what he can do with the force... things like force pulling a star destroyer planetside are not common occurences.

Putting shit like that in TOR would be retarded... thousands of Starkillers vying for the top spot, it'd be silly to the point of unplayable.

Naturally, making something that ridiculously overpowered in an MMO would be silly, but there's no reason his creativity couldn't have carried over. Surely a master of the Force can think of different ways to use Lightning.

Drawing a few other examples of creative use for powers like these, besides Starkiller: Cole McGrath, Sora, Trish (MvC3), Shaman (World of Warcraft), Megaman (specifically Megaman 8), Magneto (and any number of other comic book characters), Lopez (Red vs Blue), Yoda (Attack of the Clones), Palpatine (Revenge of the Sith).

2xDouble:

HalfTangible:

No, I'm under the impression that "shoot lightning" is the only thing you need. When and at what you "shoot lightning" determines what it does, how it moves, etc.; not the way you shoot it.

Poorly worded on my part... i mean, you seem to think that the different force lightning moves are all essentially the same thing - shoot lightning, causes damage, repeat.

Drawing from the rest of your response geared towards Quiotu, you seem to think that lightning is just going to be lightning.

The key here is that it's FORCE lightning - it's not actually electricity, it's force energy condensed into a damaging form which acts like lightning. This means that the 'lightning' could be used for any number of things, from torture to restraint to lord-knows-what.

The lightning IS used in different ways. We just haven't been shown any of them, because there aren't any skill videos: just armor progression here.

Do want. I want it alot.

I dont see why everyone is nitpicking this game. The idea that graphics need to be near Crysis level for them to be good is crap. And honestly, ive seen quite a few Guild Wars 2 videos, and im not impressed :/

I hate MMO's. With a passion. A burning passion. But TOR is changing the formula. Adding real RPG to the game. Not "find Mankrik's wife" crap, but real wholesome RPG to the game. Story is the biggest part of this. Whats the story to most other MMO's? Your a random dude who has to kill things and collect crap. But TOR has a real story to it, and your decisions effect it.

Even Raids are completely different based on your choices. Enemies, areas and bosses all change at the drop of a hat based on what you say or do.

Now im not a Star Wars fan, but that looks way more intresting to me then anything ive seen from Guild Wars, or the new WoW expansion. And im not a fan of MMO's either. But this game has enthralled me unlike any other MMO ive seen.

I personally, cant wait for it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or