The New Shiny Escapist

Pages PREV 1 . . . 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 NEXT

I will give you that it is very shiny. As for problems, the new site took ages to load a few days ago, but that's pretty much gone now.

Looking forward to it.

Not that this hasn't been heard already but the site is still incredibly slow here for UK users. So much so that it is almost unusable.

As with other constructive comments here (look ma, no rage) I find the current layout cluttered and the colours a little harsh. Index and news pages need to be returned to something akin to normal.

Much of the features you're trying to build in look like they befit a more modern, social media focussed content site. I'd like to give you a 'bravo for that' but frankly I despise the facebook integration here and have done for some time. That and the rediculous amount of ads running at any one time. If I want to use facebook, I'll go to facebook and if I want to be advertised at excessively I'll watch TV.

A great Escapist for me is something clean and organised where the content is good, the social interaction easy to get at when required and the ads not too intrusive. The 'frame' ads around many vids were a good idea - always there but not slowing you down or irritating you at every turn.

One last thing - optimise your pages please! I run a tablet as my main computer these days and your ads typically make it suffer. The amount of bandwidth required by Escapist pages even before you get to watch any streamed content is excessive and could probably be trimmed somewhat for the good of your users.

Please don't think I'm ragging on the site - the new layout looks like it has promise and I understand the need for ads and the popularity of Facebook. I just want one of my favourite sites to be a great place to continue coming back to week after week.

Good luck with any further work you do on the site.

Nasrin:

I'm not allowed to say what it is because it's supposed to be a surprise. I can tell you that powers higher up than me will be making an announcement today on the matter :)

Well at least that's something...

Although I can't think of a reason why a response to complaints about a redesign should be considered a surprise, I'll be waiting with cautious optimism. Thank you for the clarification.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/5141-Santa-and-Me

Won't load, or appears to no longer exist (It's a newly uploaded video)

I didn't get notification for messages in my inbox. In the old one, it would say "1 new messages" in bold red text.

Like so many others, I thought my browser was playing up when I logged onto this. Not really a good first sign.

I really really wanted to like this...but sorry, it's um; not to my taste. OK I hate it - and not a little bit. Enough to stop me coming to the site, even though I still want the content but I can't be arsed with the new layout. I was *just* about to sign up for Publishers Club for a self Christmas present, but since the change I don't come here enough anymore to warrant the money.1

Really busy and confusing, it seems that you do not understand how or why users liked your site. It was old-fashioned before, yes - but it was SO much easier to navigate, it was one of the primary reasons I would browse the site repeatedly in an idle moment. I have barely logged on once since the change, as the thought of navigating the site seems more like work than work itself.

Where's my nice splayout of news and events I could peruse and find new things to click and read from? Where's the side bar with the hottest new uploads? What do I want with a 'dynamic search bar' when I come here for you to give ME content, not for me to find it. You're not a fucking library.

The form of the old site may have needed some face work, but the FUNCTION of this one is fundamentally broken, and this far more important.

Please, please escapist:
1) check your site stats before and after the change.
2) Then don't make excuses for season or anything else. It's not me, it's you.
3) Come to senses and roll back change until you have fixed the new design to be navigable.

Sincerely;
A really disappointed, (former) high-traffic user.

It's too bright. It's too pale and white, whereas the light color of the previous configuration wasn't going to overload my eyes. I'm sorry, but I do not approve. Neverminding what software issues are cropping up, I can't get over the fact that - as opposed to a face-lift - the Escapist has taken a face-DROP. This will probably join my list of grumbles that I generally have with the place.

I just realized the extremely helpful sidebar which told me when new episodes of things were up is gone. I found that thing to be invaluable because the only schedules I can remember are for Unskippable and Zero Punctuation.

Nasrin:

adalekplunger:

Nasrin:
Alright guys, there should be updates coming very soon!! I can't really say more, but stay tuned. We have heard your complaint(s), it's just taken us a little time to work on it. Thank you all for your patience!

Alright, but what exactly is it that you're working on? What complaints are you taking into consideration? It's generic comments like "We're working on it" that make me feel that you're not really listening to us.

Although it is nicer than nothing at all...

I'm not allowed to say what it is because it's supposed to be a surprise. I can tell you that powers higher up than me will be making an announcement today on the matter :)

Ok, it's a day later and there's no announcement. Is it just taking longer than you anticipated, or are you just trolling us?

Hey, just returning now that I've played with the site more on both PC and PS3. I'm still OK with the color scheme. I miss having the list of recent videos and the list of most recent news on the main page, but this is more a gripe when on the PS3. The RSS feed still serves most of my needs on the computer. On the PS3, the News, Features, Videos, etc., on the top ends up being vertical and a drop-down menu will block the rest, so trying to get to the Videos section is a pain. I'm also a bit tired of how the "Welcome to the Escapist..." message claims to be removable, but keeps popping back up. I do like how the personal info is held in a little box on the side and shows latest badge and quiz score. I have no opinion about the scrolling news bar.

Vromnir:

Ok, it's a day later and there's no announcement. Is it just taking longer than you anticipated, or are you just trolling us?

We're trying to troubleshoot the changes we've had to make as a result of your feedback. We want to release as good a product as we can to you, and that involves a good bit of product testing and adaptation. Our coders are working pretty much around the clock to get it done, but we're a very, very small staff.

Okay, well the 'notice a bug' link brought me here, so guess this is the best place for it. Basically all of my badges have vanished and been replaced with lots of other badges, many of which it's impossible for me to earn, such as staff badges and badges from events that happened before I signed up, or benchmark badges that I haven't reached yet.

I know this isn't a huge issue, but I just thought it needed reporting. The update in the profile box in the corner telling me I had been awarded a staff badge most recently really confused me.

Edit: Apparently this issue is only visible on my profile, since this posted showing all the badges I had set in my top 4 before this happened.

Another edit: It appears to have returned to normal. How strange.

Well I clearly won the Escapist cause now I just unlocked every badge possible including only those given to staff members, sweet...

It's been a horrible change not only is the site a million times slower than shit it functions horrible and something new breaks everyday. My goodwill is at an end.

Same bug, got lots of badges, even one telling me i'm a moderator.

Nasrin:

Vromnir:

We're trying to troubleshoot the changes we've had to make as a result of your feedback. We want to release as good a product as we can to you, and that involves a good bit of product testing and adaptation. Our coders are working pretty much around the clock to get it done, but we're a very, very small staff.

I don't care if it takes another week tbh, i've learned how to use the site properly by playing around a bit, the only thing that i have gripe with is the blinding borders...

At least we know something is been done, thank you!

Okay, after reporting earlier that I had a ton of badges I shouldn't have had and that it went back to normal, my profile now shows that I have no badges at all. Don't know what's going on today with my profile page. Everything sorted itself out after the problem earlier and now it's all bugged out again.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Escapist-Redesign-Information

This is where updates on the redesign will be posted. One is going up today. Thank you all for your patience.

The option to change the background colour is a nice gesture, but the omission of a "dark grey" option which would (hopefully) be of actual use in reducing eye strain over long term viewing is a glaring oversight, not to mention other colours all together (like blue, orange or green, etc.) which might be more aesthetically pleasing to some individuals. Furthermore, none of the new colour options (especially the most important, default one) reduce the impression of a failed load by my browser.

Oh well, at least ctrl+a is still available to remove the eye strain.

I just.....I give up now! Half the time in my group is now just waiting for its chat to load or send data, Most pages crash Flash for me so I have to restart Youtube vids, news here is hard to find and getting from the past means going to a TINY box 5 articles long, its even breaking any outsource sites that try to set it back to its old state for me!

I'm sorry, but this update takes the term "Cock-Up" to a whole other level! Nobody I knew wanted a new site, let alone something like this. The Pub Club guys I knew said that this layout was crap, you didn't even (as far as I know) beta test it fully for any bugs or problems, like the many that are now around the site! You tried to make it look appealing for a new crowd, but all you've done is just ruin a fantastic site to just make it look more like Facebook!!

Please, for the love of *Insert your favourite deity here*, just change it back to how it was. Hardware upgrades: Understandable! Software upgrades: Awesome! This:........take it NC

And then some! Please.....just at least till you make a MUCH better idea!!!

SPARTANXIII:

And then some! Please.....just at least till you make a MUCH better idea!!!

I don't think you quite understand the concept of jumping the shark.

Jumping the shark is something a series does when it runs out of ideas. Jumping the shark is doing something that has no place within the standard realms of the property, and is done merely for the spectacle and for something to do to keep the property going.

What has happened here is just a poor site redesign that has a lot more kinks to work out than it should.

Keslen:
The option to change the background colour is a nice gesture, but the omission of a "dark grey" option which would (hopefully) be of actual use in reducing eye strain over long term viewing is a glaring oversight, not to mention other colours all together (like blue, orange or green, etc.) which might be more aesthetically pleasing to some individuals. Furthermore, none of the new colour options (especially the most important, default one) reduce the impression of a failed load by my browser.

Oh well, at least ctrl+a is still available to remove the eye strain.

How do I change the background colour? Unfortunately, "the powers that be" haven't told us in any sort of announcement I have seen, ("there will be an announcement yesterday, we promise"), and really, how hard is it to turn a background back to a blue template you have used for years? Oh, right, you decided white is the new blue, and no amount of complaining from EVERYONE will change that doomed plan. Not to mention the lag, which was never this bad until they "improved" the site.

I just hope Yahtzee and MovieBob escape this sinking ship and set up their own website, because this is bollocks, we all know it, and nobody in charge gives a hoot.

"3. Please note that the default background of the site is white, and that the overall aesthetic of the site is customized to this. Using alternate background colors are provided as a user convenience, and it is likely that the site will not present ideally under these conditions. We will continue to better enhance the site presentation with alternate backgrounds as time permits."

So instead of actually changing anything you are making us change things without promising it'll work right. Thank you but no thank you. Why should we have to make the effort, comes across as a slap in the face.

Bob Kyuss:
How do I change the background colour? Unfortunately, "the powers that be" haven't told us in any sort of announcement I have seen, ("there will be an announcement yesterday, we promise"), and really, how hard is it to turn a background back to a blue template you have used for years? Oh, right, you decided white is the new blue, and no amount of complaining from EVERYONE will change that doomed plan. Not to mention the lag, which was never this bad until they "improved" the site.

I just hope Yahtzee and MovieBob escape this sinking ship and set up their own website, because this is bollocks, we all know it, and nobody in charge gives a hoot.

That's the link where I found out that changing the background colour was an option. Basically, at the top of any any news page (not a main page, but a specific news story, like http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114925-Facebook-Adding-Advertisements-to-Personal-News-Feeds for example), you'll see a very tiny "Aa" icon nestled very tightly to the right of the title of the news article. If you can manage to see this icon and hover your mouse cursor over it, you'll be offered an extremely limited selection of background colours alongside text fonts and sizes.

Keslen:

Bob Kyuss:

That's the link where I found out that changing the background colour was an option. Basically, at the top of any any news page (not a main page, but a specific news story, like http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114925-Facebook-Adding-Advertisements-to-Personal-News-Feeds for example), you'll see a very tiny "Aa" icon nestled very tightly to the right of the title of the news article. If you can manage to see this icon and hover your mouse cursor over it, you'll be offered an extremely limited selection of background colours alongside text fonts and sizes.

Also in the browsing options section of the profiles. :)

Nasrin:

This is where updates on the redesign will be posted. One is going up today. Thank you all for your patience.

So can you enlighten us/me if there are going to be more options than those three colors? The natural is nice, but it makes my eyes bug, and the gray doesnt help to to much.

Like will there be an escapist blue option? Cus thats what was great before, made it real easy to read the site for a lonnnggg time.

ThyNameIsMud:
Also in the browsing options section of the profiles.

Thank you for pointing that out, I hadn't been able to find it before. I do find it odd that, despite my saving the content option multiple times as "darker" it still consistently loads the page as "natural", but I suspect that this stems from the fact that the two are (at least temporarily) identical in appearance.

Now, if only the entire page (stuff like quoted text, forum left hand side bar (where avatars/user names/etc are shown), the input box I'm using to type this response, the thing about stuff, the latest content / most popular / most commented boxes, etc.) would utilize the specified colour scheme, I might be able to enjoy the immensely awesome content of this website without needing to squint (or work around with ctrl+a) again.

Okay, this is IT. I'm done. Fuck... this... shit...

"Just wait a few days." "Give it a day or two." "We're taking your feedback srsly."

My... ASS!

I paid for PubClub just a few days before this bullshit went live and I want my god damn money back. There's no option for that anywhere in the profile, so will someone tell me how I get them back? I didn't pay for this eyebleeding disaster of a bullshit theme. I didn't pay for a site that loads as if I'm back in fucking 1985. I paid because I wanted to support what WAS a decent site, but then you go ahead and fuck us over for no god damn good reason.

I did not get the product I paid for. Now give me my god damn money back you assholes. (And before you start bitching some more about how much work you're putting into it, yeah I'm not buying that shit. You've had weeks to unfuck this disaster area and you haven't done shit.)

Hmm, I was trying to give the redesign a chance and whatnot, but if it doesn't change I'm probably not going to come to The Escapist anymore. The new site disorients and confuses me too much. The lack of borders or different colors makes it hard for me to find what I want and makes the whole site just look incomplete or like it's some cheap website made for a school project.

Nasrin:

Vromnir:

I realise that it might be too late for this redesign, but next time why not do a competition to improve various parts of the site, with points awarded for loading times, code readability, and maybe a user vote on how easy it is to use. There are plenty of clever people on the site with a background in web design, and I'm sure you'd attract many more. You could then pick & mix what you want, and also attract lots of (cheap) talent to try out more ideas than the staff at present have time for.

It's good to hear you're listening to feedback, and all the customisation is looking like an awesome feature.

Not so much a bug, but a requested suggestion.

Please add like a 'play list' like feature so that i can just watch Zero Punctuation without having to come back every 5 mins and click on the next one.

If your looking for feedback, I'm not a fan of this new layout.

Yes it is more 'airy', but just gives the impression that there isn't much on the site and just more area to cross to get to other content.

Please put back the list of shows and such on the right hand side when a particular page has been opened.

I'm having a bit of trouble with badges and quote notifications. Also, my profile says I have no avatar every now and again.

Not trying to bitch, just letting you know.

Concrete bugs:
Apparently my latest badge is one I got for a quiz last month, not all the holiday-badges I've gotten since(according to the "your latest:" section).
The names of the shows in the Video drop-down menu do not always line up with the logos.

Furthermore, thanks for saving my eyes, but the site still looks worse than it did before all this. I'm sorry to say that the term "soul-less" still springs to mind. The "Latest" function on the drop-down menu is handy, but not as handy as the good ol' sidebar. Also, the running newsreel on the main page is not helpful at all, it's actually quite annoying...

Anyways, I'm glad you seem to take some of our feedback to heart, and I do appreciate your intent and hard work (especially at this time), but don't try to hard with the integration/assimilation of facebook and twitter, there's a reason most forum users don't use their own names and/or pictures...

Deviate:
Okay, this is IT. I'm done. Fuck... this... shit...

"Just wait a few days." "Give it a day or two." "We're taking your feedback srsly."

My... ASS!

I paid for PubClub just a few days before this bullshit went live and I want my god damn money back. There's no option for that anywhere in the profile, so will someone tell me how I get them back? I didn't pay for this eyebleeding disaster of a bullshit theme. I didn't pay for a site that loads as if I'm back in fucking 1985. I paid because I wanted to support what WAS a decent site, but then you go ahead and fuck us over for no god damn good reason.

I did not get the product I paid for. Now give me my god damn money back you assholes. (And before you start bitching some more about how much work you're putting into it, yeah I'm not buying that shit. You've had weeks to unfuck this disaster area and you haven't done shit.)

Ahhhhahahaha, sucker!

And here's some positive feedback: the background now looks very nice indeed. Some personality has returned to the Escapist's appearance.

Font issue has been fixed for me, I also like the winter theme.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here