The New Shiny Escapist

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 35 NEXT

I can't say I'm a fan of the new lay out at all. But I suppose it's not really in our hands as the readers. If we as the consumers of this product don't like the changes made to said product, then we need to decide how we want to spend our time and money. Dollars and time are both units used to vote, and quite frankly, if the Escapist sees a positive result then they will stay the course.

..if they do not see a positive result, lets hope they have the common sense (that at least most of us believe they have)to make the proper changes to their product.

Nasrin:
I hope you guys realize that the performance issues (WHY IS IT SLOW? RAAAWR!) are related to the fact that this was just released.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaawrrdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw!

I can't stay mad at you when you pull out pictures like that!

Still though, sore about the community tab.

Can't say I'm a fan.

It seems too bright and is noticeably slower to load for me.

You know what i was just about ready to rage and say its awefull but after some time i got used to the new system i think this is a good change
i miss the old one but whatever change is good
also the layout is like the new youtube layout i like this its good
GREAT JOB GUYS!!!

Great, you go and pull a Google. Fucking up the interface we were already familiar with and in turn, forcing us to have to relearn it but I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt. I am going to assume you let a revert to old interface button behind.

Edit: This does not mean I hate the new design. I just cannot stand having to relearn the new layout of every switch, link, and feature when it already worked good.

Soooo ugly now...I'm willing to give it time to grow on me but I really don't think it will. It's a mess. Hard to navigate and just bleh...

Follow-up:

The lighter blue on a white background REALLY hurts peoples eyes (Just checked with a few mates of mine, I raced for the Panadol)

Advice to The Escapist:

Have a dark coloured border on the left and right to focus the eyes on the content

Separate your content from things like trailers (Because Pub members don't pay for trailers)

Upgrade the SQL server to handle the large increase in average load

That is all...for now.

EDIT: Reply to posts don't work.... [Anger rising...]

It seems to be really improved from last time you introduced us to a new layout yet the background as others mentioned is a bit strong on the eyes. I'll not complain about how long it takes the site to load.. it's a new change so everyone's trying to do something at once slowing it down. Not even as bad as Wednesdays when Yahtzee uploads his video and everyone wants to watch it/comment at the same time. That's a fact haha.

My other complaint is the Groups. If there was an easier way to access the Groups, then that would really benefit everyone. Besides those, I like this new layout. Sure it'll take time to get used to.. but people are having to much of a fit over minor things.

Already know how to check out news and videos... it just takes time to learn where things are. That's all. So good job guys, yet my biggest concern is the background. To bright but you already got that complaint from many others.

Honestly I think it's fine but can someone please, please change the font type?

I can't read it properly! The font type causes letters to merge and stuff if the font is small. Like the welcome message is barely readable for me I have to my head in close to the screen.

Other than that it is great, but can you please change the font type?!

I'm afraid it's taking even longer to load everything, and several web pages aren't loading at all. And while the layout could grow on me, it just looks unattractive as it stands.

I don't like change.

Change scares me.

This is like pissing in an ocean, but why is so much space devoted to ads? It seems like there is twice as many as before.

Actually the new layout isn't bad, but why so many ads?

The back end changes seem interesting, but as everyone else has already said the interface is too cluttered and white on blue was not a good choice. In fact it seems to hurt my eyes far more than the old colours when staring at it late at night (as I usually do...).

My opinion?

Keep the new drop down menus, put the content side bar back and revert to the old colour scheme.

I'm usually optimistic with these things, but this looks like an art student not educated in customer-friendly design had an orgasm.

Constructive Points:
- We don't print internet pages, so feel free to use other colors than white. It's creating too much contrast with blue EVERYWHERE and makes EVERYTHING stick out, causing confusion. Good way to piss off NoScript users tho I suppose since it now looks like the site didn't finish loading.
- Why take out all the borderlines and boxes just to make the site seem lighter? Especially the front page is supposed to direct the view, not cause chaos. You should really think of a better way to tie together the individual elements so we can see which box deal with Extra Credits and which with Movie Bob.
- because of the aforementioned lack of structure, the front page looks so full you don't even want to start anywhere. Like a wall of text in HTML shape. Try to split the posts into different, clearly marked groups. Use colorcoding to your advantage.
- bigger loading times don't seem like a fair payoff.

More personal gripes:
- I don't care about my recent history, please give me the option to hide it so the frontpage looks less cluttered
- make the top navigation bar's category titles thicker and thus easier to read. Slim fonts are neat, but not good for webdesign. Webdesign should always be clear and visible at the core and be SUPPORTED by artsy ornaments, not SUPPORT IT.
- Tickers belong to the top. Sorry, that's just where I always expect them to be, and it's a working concept.
- think about customization options to hide aspects from the website. Those would be real improvements. I'd love to browse the site without the entirety of the right navigation, the top one is enough (I'm sure you can stuff those ads elsewhere)
- The new font isn't terrible, but it's a downgrade from the other one in terms of visibility. No I'm not 60, yes I do a lot of visual design myself, but when I browse the net I have to be able to recognize the contents of a frontpage within a second. That's the kind of medium you chose, people.
- No idea why you made your site's biggest and arguably most important content - the videos - more hidden by hiding the sidebar, but I can deal with it. But please change the font of the titles beneath video thumbnails in the show's gallery. Multiple lines are touching each other and the surrounding elements. Same reason I don't like how the escapist logo touches the white. It's not a smooth transition because the logo wasn't optimized and makes it look even more amateurish.

TL;DR
You tried to make the site lighter and went too far, now you hollowed its bones out and the bird comes crashing down. Too much chaos, not enough clean-cut visibility.

zombie711:
Im sorry but this, is alsmost as bad as when gwaker redid their sites

Nothing is as bad as what Gawker did. That is a crime against both nature and humanity. However, this is almost in the same class of unusability as that, and just like their redesign led me to stop using all Gawker sites almost entirely and to even usually avoid clicking links to them, this might be bad enough to stop me from coming here. We'll see. (Edit: After dicking around with it a bit, it's not quite as unusable as I thought (still don't like it, but I'll live), but it's still visually atrocious. Nothing so bad that I shouldn't be able to at least make it tolerable with a few minutes in Greasemonkey, at least.)

The white on white on white look with everything useful hidden in menus reminds me of one of the recent IPB updates that actually got me to stop being an admin on a forum that I've helped run for the past five years, because it was just so frustrating to even use the site. How does it help me to have to go digging through a bunch of stupid JS menus searching for things I'm looking for when I had a perfectly good sidebar before? What good does a blinding expanse of empty whiteness do for me other than make it hard to read? Who started this awful UI trend, and why is everyone copying them?

i got a bug where EVERYTHING was bloated and blurry yah

Reduced text size, tried to stuff even more into the home page, the site is even slower than it was before. Seriously it took 3 minutes to load the home page and 7 minutes to load this page something is VERY VERY wrong and I'm on a 30mbs/15mbs connection here. The site went from viewable to a cluttered slow mess.

I really find it amazing this got past the concept stage, actually DID this go through the any sort of concept stage?

I hope you realize the front page is a mess, it's cluttered and hard to tell what is what, it's hard finding some older (and by older I mean yesterday) news articles without using the search button, and the light blue on white is not exactly appealing to the eyes, as well as making the comments section like this one seem unfinished as now there is no background. My advice, add a background, clean up the front page, bring back the previous box with descriptions that made it easier to tell if that was the story you were looking for, and these only solve some of the bigger problems.

Edit: I swear this site now takes so much longer to load, whenever it does load.

kiwi_poo:
I just want you to know that I'm wearing sunglasses. it's 10 PM and i'm on the northen hemisphere, and I have to wear sunglasses. just thought you might want to know.
otherwise the layout is... well it worse than before, but could be a lot worse (as youtube demonstrated). If you change the colors back to the previous version I think I could live with this.
Otherwise, I'll either get used to it, or decide I'm fed up with internet companies fucking over their customers and see if I can find a better website somewhere. (fat chance)

Oh god! Thank you! I didn't even think of wearing sunglasses! Much easier on the eyes now.

Snotnarok:
Reduced text size, tried to stuff even more into the home page, the site is even slower than it was before. Seriously it took 3 minutes to load the home page and 7 minutes to load this page something is VERY VERY wrong and I'm on a 30mbs/15mbs connection here. The site went from viewable to a cluttered slow mess.

I really find it amazing this got past the concept stage, actually DID this go through the any sort of concept stage?

Gotta agree, it looks like an artist (that's either new to website design or isn't active in that field at all) had a field day with maximum creative freedom and no betatesting whatsoever. The lack of structure (because that totally makes everything so ~light and sleek~) makes everything look so cluttered.

I'm usually in favor of "less is more", but this went over the top. And I prefer the new YouTube design with the exception of the mainpage!

Everything on the front page is so hard to read... Tiny black writing on bright white? Yeah, no dice.

tangoprime:
It looks like facebook now. Like... the current facebook. The bad one. With boxes and feeds everywhere, and everything way too spread out and inefficient.

Before it was compact, streamlined, efficient, and warm. Now, its facebook.

Perfectly said.

Everything is so white. Why so much white?

I'm actually getting a headache.

Also, the front page seems much more cluttered. I prefer the older design, much more streamlined and easier to find everything.

Please no more white...

first impression: I don't like it. I think the biggest complaint I have is that the color scheme kinda messes with my eyes. I'm sure I'll get used to the new stuff and it'll be fine, but could we maybe go back to the old shade of blue instead of this light-blue color?

EDIT: It also seems to be VERY cluttered. Like, more so than the old layout.

EDIT2: also, is it just me or does the white background seem super-white?

I like the gradient blue scheme. Give me a bit to get used to where items are located and I'll get back to you on that. But I do have to say that the website does NOT work on the PS3. That kinda stinks for me because I like watching Escapist videos on that more than my computer.

E not bad, but I liked the older one better honestly... however it now runs a lot slower on my phone and I don't like the color scheme...

It wouldn't bother me if it weren't slow as all hell. Dunno why, but it took like 5 minutes to load this page, and it times out as often as not.

Not bothered about looks, I like things to be functional.

60 odd scripts running though... well, I won't be coming back. A "shiny escapist" doesn't cover the dirt underneath.

First YouTube and now you! WHY IS EVERYBODY CHANGING?

On a serious note: Was there any demand for this? I mean, I've never had any problems with the old layout. It was a good layout... it was a damn good layout now that I come to think of it. Oh well, guess I can only apreciate something when it's gone.

I really don't like this new design. It looks like a clunky work in progress of an amateur web designer. And the white is hurting my eyes. And I hate changes...

There's just... not enough colour. I like colour, I get lost in this sea of white.

Like everyone else I'll get used to it, many headaches later.

EDIT: Can you imagine what it's going to be like when the weekly Yahtzee devotee's rampage through the site, it's bad enough today with all the long loading times.

Marik Bentusi:

Snotnarok:

Gotta agree, it looks like an artist (that's either new to website design or isn't active in that field at all) had a field day with maximum creative freedom and no betatesting whatsoever. The lack of structure (because that totally makes everything so ~light and sleek~) makes everything look so cluttered.

I'm usually in favor of "less is more", but this went over the top. And I prefer the new YouTube design with the exception of the mainpage!

Yeah I'm not against new, I actually liked the new facebook and youtube (agreeing with the main page thing the last one was better with subs all in one line) but this is just....unorganized awful.

As a webmaster, this site burns my eyes, as a webviewer it makes me angry because of the clutter.

I'm having a lot of problems with certain texts since the redesign; the letters sometimes overlap, but only do it haphazardly. It seems only to happen when they're italicised or bolded or something like that, but it may happen to only a few of the letters in a word, or the whole word itself. It's weird. I took a picture of it if my explanation is insufficient. Does anyone know how to fix this?

EDIT: also, I don't think I'd enjoy waiting about 3 minutes for every page to load. I sort of let it fly when I checked out the new design a couple of days ago, as I assumed it was something that was going to ironed out by the time the new design was rolled out. On top of that, some pages refuse to load altogether. Again, it's haphazard. There are still lots of bugs, so I don't see why the new design is being rolled out now.

For those of you getting your retinas fried by all the white, I'm going to repeat what I said over in the off-topic forum:

Those of you running Firefox can install the NoSquint add-on, which lets you set your own colors for background, text, and links. Just right-click on the page you want to change settings for, and you'll get a menu that lets you set everything.

I've got it installed right now, and the background is a nice soothing dark gray with white text. Ahhhh.

When I got a Beta preview of it, my first act was to change it back. I can't do that anymore, can I?

You know... maybe there is a world-wide conspiracy to make everything homogenized and sterile. I've been talking about this for a while, and I've seen a few interesting points made. Like this whole "Web 2.0 Sleek and Sterile" thing is appalling. It's ugly. It's one-part cheap design for iPhone addicts, one-part sterile and one-part colorless, and it's taking over the web like an unwanted bright-white blizzard.

Like, whats the point here, what am I missing. It's like an office building. It's like a hospital. It's like every car looking the same on the market. It's like Facebook, as previously said.

What's going on here?!?!

AHHHHHHH there are no boxes!

the WHOLE SITE feels chaotic !!!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 35 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook