No Right Answer: The Simpsons vs Futurama

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Simpsons vs Futurama

Dan actually went to the same high school that Matt Groening went. In fact, he had the same teacher for economics that Matt based Mr. Burns on. Dan is afraid of that teacher. Matt, however, has gone on to bigger and better things, but which is bigger and better, the Simpsons or Futurama?

Watch Video

Even as recently as 5 years ago The Simpsons could have won, but now the show's just running on fumes now. And Chris, HOW COULD YOU FORGET TO MENTION SCRUFFY!?!

Good episode since the arguments were quite valid. I wasn't bother that the Simpsons won since they are both good series despite the recent seasons (I do got to give an applause the Simpsons for the stuff they did in the 90's).

Treehouse of Horrors = Anthologies of Interest. I don't know why he compared it to the Futurama Christmas episodes. Both shows do Christmas specials that still follow basically the normal storyline. Treehouse of Horrors and Anthologies of Interest are where they can explore random ideas that may not make up a whole episode.

I love both shows a lot. But I would have to say that Futurama was the best. It has a bigger cult following than the Simpsons. And every time I watch Jurassic Bark, I do tear up, just a little.

I'm honestly split by this one. The Simpsons have some truly great moments, but it's a show that should have ended a long time ago. Yet even then, I just can't quite compare the best of the Simpsons to Futurama. Consider me neutral.

futurama all the way. not even a contest

Kyle drinks SO much faster than Chris. Chris is way too slow. Personally I prefer Futurama.

Futurama is better... Simpsons is more popular...

Matt Groening owns the merchandising rights for the Simpsons, how much money do you think that has made him? :)

Futurama for the win. The Simpsons has gone on long enough and now is losing steam. Here's another vs match, Seth Mcfarland's The Cleveland Show, vs Family Guy, Vs American Dad. 3 WAY! Go!

The Simpsons was quite good in the beginning, but now they are remaking many of the episodes that they already did. Last Sunday, What happens when the Simpsons grow up in 15-20 years? They already did that with a fortune teller telling Lisa that she will marry Millhouse. Now they just want to continue it?

Hmmm, you know, just do an Old Simpsons series similar to Rugrats All growed up. That'll break the stranglehold of Seth Mcfarland on Fox....

I'm going to have to go with Futurama here.
It may not have had as much influence on pop-culture, but it also didn't get run straight into the ground by Fox. Maybe it was for the best that they cancelled it - because Fox seems to destroy everything they touch - Futurama by cancelling while it was still a great show. The Simpsons by running it straight into the ground so that my memory of the great parts of it will be forever tainted by the utter crap it has been turned into.

Personally, I like Futurama more for the main cast and it's consistently better for me, but when Simpsons had it's moments, it was (and still occasionally is) more awesome.

With The Simpsons I kinda preferred some of the sidecast over the main ones, mainly Mr.Burns (and Smithers). As a kid I watched it almost solely for those two...

I think for the Simpsons Season 7 was the best. Probably about 5th-9th is where it peaked for me. But that's higly subjective, and even then there were episodes where I didn't give a crap. Not because it was bad, as such, but I wasn't personally invested.

I think the great testament to Groening is how different his two shows are. Simpsons was on what, like 13 years when Futurama and was something completely different. Futurama is my favourite animated series because of how funny it is but also because of just how damn emotional it can be. Meanwhile Seth MacFarlane craps out a new version of the same show with the same characters every five years. I remember watching the season 8 episode where Stewie and Brian get locked in a vault and thinking it was phenomenal, completely broke from the conventional MacFarlane formula and seemed to correct every criticism ever aimed at it. Then everything just went right back to the usual crap.

Hmm, I'm more of a Futurama man myself.

..why are the commercials in Swedish now?

It really goes down to quality/imagination or quantity/longevity. There are only about 10 main-ish characters in Futurama including the Planet Express gang, that alien blob guy, and the alien who is the king of his planet. Because there aren't hundreds of characters, they can all have multiple storylines, like the alien king having the "popcorn" offspring and having trouble satisfying his wife.

What a great topic, you could probably do two episodes about it if you wanted to (not saying that you should).

I wonder if I'm the only one who didn't get sad at Jurassic Bark. Luck of the Fry-rish though was really amazing, it made me sad.

I agree that The Devil's hands are mere playthings was the best episode.
Also that Treehouse of Horror > Robot Santa.

I wonder why Futurama hasn't had a Halloween episode.

Hannibal942:
I'm honestly split by this one. The Simpsons have some truly great moments, but it's a show that should have ended a long time ago. Yet even then, I just can't quite compare the best of the Simpsons to Futurama. Consider me neutral.

I don't trust you neutral types. I mean at least I know where my enemies stand, but with you? Who knows.

Simpsons had a long good run. It was a big aspect of my childhood but you have to let things go sooner or later. Especially when that childhood show went on for so many years that I cannot think it can carry itself anymore.

Futurama is fresh, new, and better while I understand more of what's going on because I am older now. Simpsons probably will always be favored more because it's very valuable by memory but people will admit Futurama is the best thing overall when compared with the two. As for me, Futurama has more creativity and more to expand on then Simpsons since Futurama can pull out those emotional tear jerkers. It sure got me with that episode dealing with Fry's dog... ... Oh now I am crying just remembering how sad that scene was.

Goldhawk777:
Futurama for the win. The Simpsons has gone on long enough and now is losing steam. Here's another vs match, Seth Mcfarland's The Cleveland Show, vs Family Guy, Vs American Dad. 3 WAY! Go!

Nobody watches the Cleveland Show.
So you can eliminate that.

As for Family Guy vs. American Dad, that's a good match but I'm going to give it to American Dad. Family Guy has gone downhill while American Dad got a whole lot better. And besides there are so many more angles you can use with a CIA agent vs. Peter's job.

Now we just need an opponent for South Park and we're set.

Goldhawk777:
They already did that with a fortune teller telling Lisa that she will marry Millhouse. Now they just want to continue it?

They did it again later where Lisa becomes president and Bart becomes a bum.

Although the first time they did the Future, Bart became a demolition man. He said "They're finally paying me to do this" which I thought was a good line.

Father Time:

Other comedic cartoons of note are King Of The Hill, The Boondocks, and Beavis & Butthead. The first two are best comedic cartoons ever imo, but I'm not sure any of the three really are comparable to South Park. Just too different.

Freaky Lou:

Father Time:

Other comedic cartoons of note are King Of The Hill, The Boondocks, and Beavis & Butthead. The first two are best comedic cartoons ever imo, but I'm not sure any of the three really are comparable to South Park. Just too different.

I think the only thing that would work is Family Guy. Although then we wouldn't have an opponent for American Dad (let's face it they would slaughter The Cleveland Show). Unless Family Guy can be used twice.

Futurama FTW! I enjoy that way more. I used to like The Simpsons when I was a kid but they ran out of decent episodes years and years ago. But Futurama will always be better because it's sci-fi. I'm a nerd. I like sci-fi.

The first ten seasons of the Simpsons are the almost unassailable peak of television comedy. Few things have come close, nothing has surpassed. Futurama is great and probably better on a dramatic level, i.e. deeper characters, more pathos, more emotional depth, but its simply not as funny. Similarly, South Park is better satire, but doesn't quite have the same hilarity as classic Simpsons, even if it is much more thought provoking.

The last ten years of the Simpsons, however, have served to almost annihilate its reputation. On balance, then, Futurama, but if you could cut the Simpsons off at the year 2000 then there would be no contest.

On Futurama when they showed how Fry's dog waited for him, nothing will ever be able to beat that.
Plus, also forgot Nibbler.
And if you go on premise alone, Futurama has some much more possibility to it and is way more creative.

Futurama is more focussed. Simpsons is more encompassing.

Fox hates Sci-Fi.

Interesting points brought up, but there wasn't really much debate. Simpsons is unquestionably the more important show which the best episodes of are of a wholly higher caliber than anything Futurama is capable of.

On the other hand, the Simpsons is now a nigh-unwatchable show whereas Futurama is pretty much as good as ever. But obviously the greatness of seasons like 5-ish to the early teens of the Simpsons make this debate too easy for Kyle.

futurama, because it can make you cry

Best cancellation might be a good episode :D Not best show that's been cancelled but best 'wow they really screwed up here' and if firefly is one of the cancellations it shouldn't win so the internet can cry some more :D

This was a fun debate though, I came into it thinking Futurama but I was persuaded over to the Simpsons. Futurama is still better and more entertaining, the jokes are cleverer and it's more out there, whilst also having a bit of plot progression and more real drama. But the Simpson suffers because of it's sheer length. I don't know if Futurama could last as long as the Simpsons without becoming stale(r) and the Simpsons has had so much affect in everyones lives everywhere in the world. It has literally shaped the way people think

i like the simpsons (especialy the treehouse of horror episodes).

But i pesonsoaly like futurama better.

i think this is because sipsons has to be grounded somewhat they can't stray too far from reality. meaning that the possibilitys are somewhat limited.

whereas in futurama anything is possible because SCIENCE! alien bone suckeing vampire sure why not.

This is like comparing coke with coke zero. It's the original masterpeice vs. the half-assed, barely necessary spin off.

No contest! The simpsons.

Trick Question! Life In Hell is Groening's magnum opus. :)

Whilst The Simpsons is definitely bigger, Futurama is better. Or at least that is my opinion. Futurama has really stuck to its guns over the years and delivered this wild sense of comedy that still somehow feels grounded in reality.

The Simpsons on the other hand... well the early seasons are great! There is no arguing that. As it has gone on though, it now starts to feel tired and not able to decide which style of comedy it wants to go for. Is it wacky insane humour or a family based drama. And whilst the Treehouse of Horror episodes you pointed out before are great (or they used to be), they don't feel special anymore because now the show all feels like that :/

The only reason Fox hasn't cancelled it yet is because of the amount of money the show makes for the network. If it started to lose profit, you know that show is going to get canned. And I can't see it being an entirely bad thing either if it did. It would leave the network and writers with space to create new shows and explore new ideas.

The Simpson has the crying episodes too!
Remember when Lisa's Saxophone idol died (Bleeding Gums Murphy). I was crying at the end of the one.
Also all the great music that was in the episode.

I don't know, taking user suggestions is great and all but I don't find the show as entertaining when it's basically two good choices in which you both can agree either way. Originally the direction "No Right Answer" was that the topics discussed were so absurd there isn't really a right answer to it. Rather than watching a discussion that's been done to death like who's better Batman vs Superman, the show was great cause you took crazy questions like Green Lanter greatest weakness: wood vs the colour yellow. Or if it is a more common topic chosen then it's still good when you at least have a strong contrasting opinion.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here