Pixelated Roses

Pixelated Roses

Take advantage of the winter lull to catch up on those games that didn't quite make your Must Play list.

Read Full Article

I personally still own every single console, game and acessory i have ever owned. I've also picked up almost every major legacy console along the way. Buying old PS2 games this generation has been the best thing i ever did; games like the PoP series or even Jak and Daxter kind of slipped past me the first time round so i bought and played them dirt cheap postumously.

I've stopped dedicating nearly as much time to new AAA releases. They simply don't do that much for me anymore, not to sound like a massive hipster but ever more mainsteam games than ever are essentially just clones of their previous efforts or eachother. I can live without something i have played 100 times before.

During summer, when there are little to no major game releases coming out, I often find myself going back to past consoles and playing games that I missed out on.

For example, during this coming summer, I plan on finding a few games for my old Gamecube. I wanna play Killer 7 and Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. Two games that I missed out on simply because I wasn't paying attention. I also wanna play Ico on the PS2, but I can't find a copy of the damn game anywhere!

What I'm trying to say is that, though I highly enjoy new games, I always try to make it a priority of mine to set some time for myself to play games that I missed out on the first go round.

I thought most console games are rendered at 720p, not 1080p.

I love my PC. Not for the "ultimate graphical platform", althought it's pretty capable of some neat graphical stuff, no, it's because of it's myrad of old games, heck, I LOVE newer games that use retro and pixelated graphics and generally, those are the ones I have the most fun with.

Also, I love my Wii for the wrong reasons that pretty much anyone overlooks. I love it, because it's almost like a retro haven, with it's impressive Virtual Console library, along with many GameCube classics. Bash it all you want about waggling and flailing and not having HD graphics, I'll be playing A Link to The Past, Super Metroid, the entire Sonic trilogy among other classics while you keep tea bagging that noob in your Halos and Call of Duties.

I'm also planning on buying another PS2 and catch up to everything post 2003 that I missed, pretty much all the best games the platform has.

SupahGamuh:
I love my PC. Not for the "ultimate graphical platform", althought it's pretty capable of some neat graphical stuff, no, it's because of it's myrad of old games, heck, I LOVE newer games that use retro and pixelated graphics and generally, those are the ones I have the most fun with.

Now that you mention it, if it wasn't for emulators (working NES and Genesis are hard to come by), I would've missed out on classics like Herzog Zwei and Earthbound.

Ahh, you mentioned Minish Cap. I checked it out on a rom, about a year ago, and suddenly felt ashamed that I'd missed it. Here was a Zelda game worth it's Rupees, to be sure. I had mistakenly thought it to be like the Oracle games, but was pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong. How wonderful. And while games from last generation, or the one before, are aging at different rates, there's still games that haven't aged a day. Their graphics, being more aesthetic choices rather than bludgeoning their hardware to produce a simulacrum of realism, still look amazing. Their gameplay stands refreshingly proud. Their soundtracks still resound in my soul to this day.

I usually take the slow parts of the year to either catch up on my new releases, or play through some back catalog gold, see if I don't get any new favorites.

Oh, and congrats on the hot wife, I guess? Though, I'm more impressed with the orange, myself.

K_Dub:
I also wanna play Ico on the PS2, but I can't find a copy of the damn game anywhere!

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus were recently re-released as a remastered collection for the PS3. It's only $39.99, and definitely worth it. Especially since finding Ico is a pain in the ass.

K_Dub:
During summer, when there are little to no major game releases coming out, I often find myself going back to past consoles and playing games that I missed out on.

For example, during this coming summer, I plan on finding a few games for my old Gamecube. I wanna play Killer 7 and Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. Two games that I missed out on simply because I wasn't paying attention. I also wanna play Ico on the PS2, but I can't find a copy of the damn game anywhere!

What I'm trying to say is that, though I highly enjoy new games, I always try to make it a priority of mine to set some time for myself to play games that I missed out on the first go round.

I think they're re releasing Ico and Shadow of the Colossus on Ps3 if you got one of those.

OT: I usually just go back and get the games I missed or couldn't play during school.

Now MY Gameboy Advance SP is sitting nicely in the drawer next to me, metaphorically smiling because I will eventually get back to the Pokemon Yellow cartridge set inside it.
My Nintendo 64 has a similar fate, with Zelda and Mario in my little stack of finely shaped cartridges above the PSP games I play less.

means that now could be a fantastic time to buy a Wii: There's over five years' worth of games available for it

As an owner of a wii thats isn't saying much... sadly the only people i've seen really get a handle on these motion controls is nintendo, and nintendo has only stuck to what they know. mario, zelda, smash bros., even metroid was lacking. okay yeah there was sports and sports resort but they are just minigame collections of which there are a million of on the wii.

OT; I have to say i agree wholeheartedly with this article. this sensationalism over the newest and brightest pixels is soewhat getting out of hand. Honestly i think we are seeing the absolute worst of it right now with skyrim. everyone has already forgotten arkum city, infamous 2, deus ex, bastion, portal 2, poke'mon black/white, and dead space 2. yeah i've had FOMO bad but right now and maybe it's because i've been forced to miss skyrim, i'm thinking maybe all this hype is doing more harm than good.

I must be the minority here because I only own an old, trusted PC. No Xboxes, no playstations, no Iphones and no [whatever else is popular this month].

Uh... no. E-waste is not my fault. I had a Gameboy color, a Gameboy Advance, and I still have my original model-DS and an Xbox 360.

That's all I've ever had. So e-waste is not my fault, but from your description, it sounds like it might be your fault.

Hey, I do that, but I'm not going to lie it's probably just because I don't have a new console nor a remotely decent PC, so I just play my Gamecube, N64 and GBA all the time, I would play my PS1 but all my PS1 games died in a fire, though to tell you the truth I haven't bought a new game in at least 3 years, so I only play those 57 games I already have over and over again.
And yes Minish Cap is freaking awesome and so is Wind Waker, but my favourite is still Majora's Mask!

BTW Does anyone know if Legend Of Zelda Tetra's Trackers was ever released? Because I still think about that game, and most importantly is it any good?
EDIT: Apparently it was cancelled, now I'm going to investigate if it was at least released on Japan.
EDIT: Yes apparently it was, DARN IT! Now I have to buy a japanese Gamecube and learn Japanese, hmmm... I was planning to do that anyway because I want to get Mother 3 too, so this doesn't change my plans at all actually.

SO has anyone here played LOZ Tetra's Trackers (actually it's called Navi Trackers)?

I loved this article, because this has been true for me for awhile. As a college student (and I know I'm not alone here) there was no way in hell I could buy everything. This is why I'm not looking forward to the next console cycle and why I'm so glad this one lasted so long. I already missed all the exclusives for PS3 (and I really like Ratchet and Clank), and consoles sure aren't getting any cheaper (I'm looking at you 3DS)
Micah

This article makes me wonder, where is my 486? I gave it to a charity that donated PC's to the disadvantaged, that was later sued and shut down by MS for redistributing 2nd hand copies of Windows.

I know where two of my old PC's are, in land fill minus the case, optical drive, and HDD (Never buy cheap PSU's kids). Well, maybe not landfill, but recycled into scrap.

My old Pentium 4 might be in a school in Ghana as I gave that one to a secular group that refurbished old PCs and shipped them to Africa.

My Intel dual core is underclocked and missing its GPU (which is in my LAN box), but still ticking away stuffed full of green HDDs as my NAS box.

I play a lot of older games on my netbook, which runs 32-bit XP. With DosBox, XP and my desktop with Win 7 I can pretty much run any PC Game you can think of and the desktop is more than capable of current games.

Must go see what is new(to me) at GOG now.

Ah, it's nice to see an article finally giving people a reason to go back and appreciate the older titles without sounding heavy-handed about it or being blinded by nostalgia.

I will agree that it's sometimes best to go back and look back at older games and seeing why they were popular and memorable back then, aside from their graphical capabilities. Although I'm uncertain about how this era will be looked back upon; I'm honestly under the impression that CoD will just be looked back upon as a dark age of gaming where graphical exploitation and stagnation led to a bunch of nearly-identical games.

Who just finished Pikmin 2 and LOVED it?

Right here. :D

rayen020:

means that now could be a fantastic time to buy a Wii: There's over five years' worth of games available for it

As an owner of a wii thats isn't saying much... sadly the only people i've seen really get a handle on these motion controls is nintendo, and nintendo has only stuck to what they know. mario, zelda, smash bros., even metroid was lacking. okay yeah there was sports and sports resort but they are just minigame collections of which there are a million of on the wii.

OT; I have to say i agree wholeheartedly with this article. this sensationalism over the newest and brightest pixels is soewhat getting out of hand. Honestly i think we are seeing the absolute worst of it right now with skyrim. everyone has already forgotten arkum city, infamous 2, deus ex, bastion, portal 2, poke'mon black/white, and dead space 2. yeah i've had FOMO bad but right now and maybe it's because i've been forced to miss skyrim, i'm thinking maybe all this hype is doing more harm than good.

not nessicaryly

this years line up has been excellent, true

however later, when somone is ready to try a new game, and nothing "coming out" catches their fancy...OR they are strapped for cash then those games are still going to be there, all it takes is a quick search for some reveiws (make sure its not a dud) and then off you go....I spent quite a while NOT playing new games...but playing the previous years titles (no money)

I just picked up mirrors edge today, and Im going to try resistance at one point (and uncharted...when I get round to it)

Sam this has to be one of my all time favourite articles on the escapist.
thank you

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here