Escape to the Movies: The Adventures of Tintin

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The Adventures of Tintin

Spielberg is trying to bring Tintin to America.

Watch Video

The Adventures of Tin Tin isn't even out yet in the US? It's been out here in Iceland for something like a month and a half, if not longer.

Wait, Sherlock Holmes 2 suck? You got to do a review on that next week explaining why it suck!

Also danm I knew that film is worth checking, well I think I still got some time left to see it.

I liked the movie, but for some reason it felt just... not enough.
It was great - good structure, nice action spliced with humor and great animation.
But... It just didn't sell. I think that it's for small children till the age of 12, and while being 17 I did enjoy it, it didn't capture me. My father was at the theater at the time and he really liked it too, so it's safe to say that the movie was Great.

Great review, I'll definitely be seeing this.

Also,

BANE WILL BREAK THE BAT!

I forgot this was coming out. I might have something to watch next week after all.

Better title for the sequel:

G.I. Joe II: We Got Rid of Stephen Sommers This Time

Damnit bob! I want to know why Sherlock 2 sucked.

I remember Tintin as a kid. My school library had nearly every book out there and I loved every single one of them. My favorite one was Legend of the Seven Crystal Balls arc and Going to the Moon. Now I need to see if I can get those old books somehow.

Thanks Bob, I was really worried that the movie of Tin Tin would suck.. But I am so going to see it when I get the chance.

I honestly thought Bob wouldn't dig the trailer for the new GI Joe considering that so far it lacks a lot of the crazy weapons, gadgets, and locales that were part of the reason why he really likes the first one. Then again, this movie will have more ninjas (always a plus), a better looking Cobra Commander and shit getting real when Cobra takes over the freking country.
All things considered, yeah sign me up. Also, nice use of Seven Nation Army.

I was never a Tintin fan really (my dad pretty much collects them but I never found them to be that interesting) but I liked the movie. I guess some of the action scenes kinda overstayed their welcome but other than that it was really enjoyable. That said I still think they should've cel-shaded it. The uncanny valley problem would disappear you can still do all that impressive cgi stuff that the movie is really good at (the sand looks weird when they walk in it but other than that it's amazing really) and it would actually look like Tintin. There is actually a cel-shaded segment in the opening credits and it looks amazing.

Also apparently Milou is called snowy in english... That's just weird. I mean sure it's always kinda weird to translate names on the other hand tho maybe Milou is hard to pronounce to native english speakers? Being swedish I wouldn't know but Milou is like the most iconic dog ever, it's like finding out that Lassie is called brownie somewhere just, weird.

Leaving a comment before seeing the video because my compy is taking forever to buffer it, but if Spielburg is unvolved, then I bet the ending will involve aliens in some way.

How on Middle-earth is The Hobbit aimed overwhelmingly at audiences outside of the United States?

(And please, somebody say because of the author. I dare ya.)

I remember enjoying the Tin Tin hardcover comic novel thing when I was a young lad, I might see this one in theaters. Hard to find the time lately though.

Scarim Coral:
Wait, Sherlock Holmes 2 suck? You got to do a review on that next week explaining why it suck!

Also danm I knew that film is worth checking, well I think I still got some time left to see it.

FelixG:
Damnit bob! I want to know why Sherlock 2 sucked.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/9283-Double-Vision
here you go

and since i don't have anything meaningful to add to the tintin review I will just say that i felt strangely unaffected by the GI joe trailer, i liked the first movie but GI joe was never a part of my childhood so it didn't stir any nostalgic notions in me but i thought "hey this seem to be original costumes, how nice for the people who watched that as kids"

I live in Canada and I grew up reading and loving the Iintin books. They were just fantastic mind-trip books, with plots Indiana Jones would be envious of. In fact they even tried to take it that route with the Young Indiana Jones Adventures. Remember those? No? Well I remember The Adventures of Tintin and I'm looking forward to seeing this movie.

RanD00M:
The Adventures of Tin Tin isn't even out yet in the US? It's been out here in Iceland for something like a month and a half, if not longer.

Someone wasnt paying attention when Bob said that isnt big in the US. Naturally the US isnt going to see it till Christmas, and honestly if christmas wasnt coming up the US wouldnt even seeing or the chance would be really low.

OT: eh, im not pumped for it, but then again I wasnt exactly pumped for Hugo either. It looks like a great film and IM sure it is, but I just dont know, I see the commercials and trailers and I get this overwhelming sense of meh, thats about all there to it and I can see those for free on tv.

Now if they made a Rin-Tin-Tin film I'd probably be more excited (though i dont know why).

and it seems the more I see of the new spiderman the more i get put off. Im not going to lie, I hope the first one fails just so they dont remake the other two (well, 2.1 I guess).

I remember watching snippets of Tintin cartoons back when I was younger and I wasn't really interested, but it was entertaining enough. Also, didn't Tintin's dog was named "Milu" or something like that, instead of "Snowy"?

I'm looking forward to seeing this movie when I get the chance to.

Sounds cool. It's nice to hear that it's not ANOTHER origin story of an already long established series. I've never really been a fan of Tin Tin, but I'm getting pretty tired of movies of stuff that assumes I'm an ignorant moron who has never heard of the thing before. I get that they do that because most people probably haven't heard of the series before, but I don't care, damn it! Stop rebooting and re-inventing stuff that doesn't need it!

Also I really like this CG mocap business. I guess it doesn't really count as animation, but it looks like a really cool way to allow an actor play a role of a character who is physically nothing like they are. Kind of annoying seeing the same faces everywhere.

Now, having seen the video, I can't say whether or not I'm disappointed that I don't get to laugh at Spielburg's inability to make a film that doesn't somehow involve aliens, or pleased with his restraint. Unless the aliens are a surprise twist Bob didn't reveal because he's avoiding spoilers.

I don't know, I may give this one a look. Spielburg's a good producer and director when he tries, although I haven't really seen him try that hard lately. And I do enjoy classic-style adventure films when they're done well, even if they're made for kids.
Take this for what it's worth Bob: I may wait until it comes out on DVD so I can rent it before I see, but if nothing else, you've got me at least considering seeing a movie I probably wouldn't have given the time of day otherwise.
So, I guess you've done your job.

Marmooset:
How on Middle-earth is The Hobbit aimed overwhelmingly at audiences outside of the United States?

Maybe because there isn't a single high-profile American among the cast, director, writers, or other major crew (cinematographer, composer, etc.)? Not that I can spot, anyway. (And no, you can't claim Evangeline Lilly, she's still one of us Canucks.) That's my theory for Bob's reasoning, anyway.

Definitely would have preferred a review of Sherlock or even Ghost Protocol, but I see we went with the "I can pad 2+ minutes talking about cultural backgrounds" review instead.

waitwaitwaitwaitWAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce Willis is in GI Joe 2?! o.0!!

wow o.o that is awesome *is already on board*

>.> oh and TinTin sounds fun i guess

Alright, while I was interested in the Tin Tin review, you can't just step out and say "This really sucked" for Sherlock Holmes and leave it at that. Even if it was half as good as the first one, it will still be decent. Hope you pick it up next week, otherwise, bad form.

TheIronRuler:
I liked the movie, but for some reason it felt just... not enough.
It was great - good structure, nice action spliced with humor and great animation.
But... It just didn't sell. I think that it's for small children till the age of 12, and while being 17 I did enjoy it, it didn't capture me. My father was at the theater at the time and he really liked it too, so it's safe to say that the movie was Great.

Generally speaking stuff you enjoyed at 12 is easier to enjoy again at 25+ than it is 17. At that age you're disconnected from you're childhood, but soon enough the nostalgia factor will kick in!

Anyways, I don't know exactly how unpopular the comics are in the States but in Canada there's certainly a lot of recognition, and I've really been looking forward to this movie! The usual behaviour these days is to whine about Hollywood ruining our childhoods (often with good justification), but Tintin is something that comes prepackaged in a hollywood script format.
There's no need to take artistic liberties with it because it's already grounded in reality with a proven formula (Indiana Jones-ish), and each comic is not too short and not too long, but just about right for the length of a movie. This is one where you can quite safely say that they can't screw it up.

Marmooset:

Because the author made the books to be relateable to places other than the U.S.

OT: I remember watching the cartoon back in the '90's during the time when there wasn't anything else on, so the channel needed something to fill in the hole.

But the entire time I watched the show, I dont think I ever saw anyone use a gun, maybe it was just one of the book to television differences.

But from what I have heard about this movie, its a great kids movie, yet has enough action for the rest of us.

I haven't actually gone to a theater at all this year, this might be the only movie I am willing to pay 13.50 for a ticket.

It's not "Tin Tin," it's Tintin! His name is ONE WORD, for fuck's sake! What the hell is wrong with The Escapist?

*sigh*

Anyway... I hope they didn't make Captain Haddock too much of a blunderer in this movie... the character is funny because of his temper, not because he's incompetent. I'm glad to see Thomson and Thompson there, to indicate that they will be taking on slapstick duties.

Wait, this wasn't a Rin-Tin-Tin movie?

I feel stupid.

I'm an American fan of Tintin, although then again I also grew up on Doctor Who so I'm a ways along the bellcurve of the typical American audience member.

I was quite unsure about this film when I heard about it. Mashing three books together seemed risky and Tintin's face creeped me out. However based on this review I'll be taking my son to go see it over the holidays. :)

Scarim Coral:

shadowmagus:
Alright, while I was interested in the Tin Tin review, you can't just step out and say "This really sucked" for Sherlock Holmes and leave it at that. Even if it was half as good as the first one, it will still be decent. Hope you pick it up next week, otherwise, bad form.

Did you read this week's Intermission?

COBRAAAAA!

no seriously, great review, I've got about 20 of tintin's issues laying around somewhere, including the ones the movie is based on.

Sylocat:
It's not "Tin Tin," it's Tintin! His name is ONE WORD, for fuck's sake! What the hell is wrong with The Escapist?

*sigh*

Anyway... I hope they didn't make Captain Haddock too much of a blunderer in this movie... the character is funny because of his temper, not because he's incompetent. I'm glad to see Thomson and Thompson there, to indicate that they will be taking on slapstick duties.

Let's just say: He is kind of sloppy but within reason since the story is driven by his character BUT he is not incompetent and even saves the Tintins life.

The first G.I. Joe was an awful movie, this looks infinitely better. The way a G.I. Joe movie should be.

swimon:

Also apparently Milou is called snowy in english... That's just weird. I mean sure it's always kinda weird to translate names on the other hand tho maybe Milou is hard to pronounce to native english speakers? Being swedish I wouldn't know but Milou is like the most iconic dog ever, it's like finding out that Lassie is called brownie somewhere just, weird.

Yeah, the French "Milou" is difficult, both the M-short(i)-l (we use double-l to round out the sound, unless its French origin such as Philip) and the French "ou" are rare and painful for North American English speakers.
But we would just translate it as Milo (pronounced My-loe), so I have no idea why they called the dog snowy.
Maybe it appealed better to kids or something.

If you don't review Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy next week, I will find you, Bob.

I will find you.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or