GinxTV: The Ginx Daily: Backchat, Episode 2

The Ginx Daily: Backchat, Episode 2

Episode 2: This week, The Last of Us, Metal Gear Solid Rising Vengeance, and Batman with guns with Gotham City Impostors.

Watch Video

Hi guys. As you might have noticed, we've made a few tweaks to the format for this week. Backchat is still a very young show, and had been going for just over a month before it appeared on here, so it's early days for us, and we hope that your feedback will help us shape it into something great. So keep the comments coming!

Oh, and for those still baffled/annoyed/curious by my ambiguous accent, it's Northern Irish ^_^

That was certainly a great improvement over the first one, but the delivery is still fairly flat. Like someone else wrote the lines, and she doesn't quite agree with them.

Until she was hiding her eyes and talking gravelly, anyway.

This was much better, me likey!

I think with The Last of Us using an airborne virus instead of zombies is a little curious, won't they act the same way as zombies? It happened in Deus Ex: HR with all the people on that island, except they could talk, but they still acted like zombies.

Really, I think you'd notice an improvement if you mixed up the background music a bit. The video seemed to run on, but it wasn't overly long, the sound just tends to be a little uniform. Bouncing between two or three songs might help to break up the samey feeling of the direct delivery. You might also film each segment from a different angle, or in a different location, just to spice it up a bit. The single angle really only works for a quick 30-90 second update.

Other than that, you seem a bit quiet. Say what you will about her gamer cred (or lack there-of) but Olivia Munn was loud, and people pay attention to loud, cute women. It could be a simple matter of doing a few jumping jacks to up your energy and grab some attention.

But, overall, I'd say that this was enjoyable. I am not really excited about any of the games you covered, but they're not my bag. Metal Gear Solid has moved away from it's roots, and focusing on Raiden and sword-play is probably a gambit to get players who don't idolize Solid Snake on board. The Last of Us might be good, but I'm zombied out and I don't even PLAY zombie games. Gotham City Imposters looks fun in a TF2 sort of way, but I don't play shooters, even if I love Batman. I might give it a try just for camp, but I'm sure my own lame-ness as a gamer will keep me from really enjoying it.

I definitely liked this episode a lot better than the last.
Better commentary, a lot more coherent, a lot less "hamster on redbull"-y.

Still not quite there... but it's getting better...

I think half my problem is the user comments bit...

I don't care what user's have to say on twitter, and the like. And when I do feel like caring, I'll read it on the forums.

Azuaron:
That was certainly a great improvement over the first one, but the delivery is still fairly flat. Like someone else wrote the lines, and she doesn't quite agree with them.

Until she was hiding her eyes and talking gravelly, anyway.

Pretty much this, as well.

AoifeGinx:
Hi guys. As you might have noticed, we've made a few tweaks to the format for this week. Backchat is still a very young show, and had been going for just over a month before it appeared on here, so it's early days for us, and we hope that your feedback will help us shape it into something great. So keep the comments coming!

Oh, and for those still baffled/annoyed/curious by my ambiguous accent, it's Northern Irish ^_^

You should try to be more enthusiastic, it comes across like script reading too often. If you disagree/agree with something say so and sound like you mean it! You still have a way to go but I think the show could catch on, oh and I like the accent.

You're really asking for feedback? HERE? Shit storm ahoy.

Anyway everything I wanted to say has already been said, but this was definitely closer to what I would expect to find on The Escapist. A good job so far, and I'm looking forward to more.

That was a million times better than the 1st episode. I would only suggest maybe having a co-host or have another person do a short 1 minute segment or something so you can "throw it" to someone else for a bit instead of doing the whole show yourself.

I think I'm starting to warm up to this show. Had a little rocky of a start but when the hostess loosens up she's actually quite charming.

Unfortunately the writing and the delivery of the jokes are still a long ways away from each other; the construction of the jokes aim for shock humor, but their presentation (nearly deadpan hostess talking about murder and mayhem or maudlin video game imagery over elevator music) goes for ironic which does not match up well.

In the end, people come for the video game news but they stay for the hostess' personality. She clearly has one (as we see in the clip of her playing the video game and at the end pretending to be Batman) but she needs to show it.

This still feels abit lazy for a whole video to be aimed at.Reading other peoples views off of things and then making bad jokes about game videos.It feels like they got given a camera and were asked to make a video game show.

I know your trying to go down the viewers are the series route but you have to imput a few bits yourself.Maybe go for the news direction that worked well at the start of the video maybe get a few other people into the video to counter ether's(sorry do not know how to spell the name) views.

While it is better than last week's, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Backchat is probably the weakest of the shows seen thus far. Like you said, it's young. But there's still some work to be done to have it taken seriously. My critique would go along the lines of:

- Find some better jokes. Seriously, that last one about Deus Ex planking was just plain horrible.

- Consistent lighting (see 1:49-1:50)

- Less focus on viewer comments (yeah, I'm definitely not going to make friends with this one. :P) Reason being: if you rely on them too much, then that will make you appear lazy for copying/pasting someone else's words on what is supposed to be your scripted news show. I'm not saying don't do away with them entirely, but limit it to maybe 2 comments.

- Either get a co-host who's more expressive, or straight-up replace this one. Wooden acting aside (3:42-3:45), I'm tired of seeing the same "sex sells" approach in video game news. If I wanted to see a pretty girl talk video game news with an easy smile, then I'd watch IGN's Daily Fix. And I already dislike IGN as it is.

There's probably more, but really, these are the most glaring as of this episode. Everything else looks fine. But you're still a ways away from stepping up to the big leagues.

Better than last week, still not my favorite.

See, the problem with this show is that it's focusing too much on user feedback. If I wanted to read Youtube or Escapist comments...well, then I'd read the comments on those sites. There's no reason for me to watch a show that's just about someone reading these comments verbatim, especially if it's being done by someone so utterly inexpresive. Seriously, what was that with the Christian Bale impression?

Yeah, I'm guessing you were reading from a script/cue cards for most of that? Because it looked a bit inauthentic and unrehearsed.

Although this looks like it might go the Jimquisition route. To very loosely paraphrase, if you ever want the internet to hate you, premiere a show on The Escapist. But we'll probably all warm up sometime.

Yeah, this makes a whole lot more sense once the show has already been established (here anyway).

Still the greatest accent of all time.

Dear Graham Stark,

I dare you to defend this one. Seriously, millions of comments about gamming community made every day and "Ruined metal gear right there :(" made the cut as something interesting the restake in the video. Why are we reading quotes from facebook out as if they somehow mater? I mean I realize CNN does it now, but they run 24x7 and run out of intelligent things to say.

To be fair, I watched all the Ginx TV vids last week and I thought some of them were good, but I'm sorry "Backchat", you are officially on my watch only if drunk and bored and can't figure out how to use Hulu list. Also judging by the amazing comment count and time of day, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

It's defiantly better, now that there seemed to be some actual coverage of what your talking about but you still need to pull the camera back a bit.

I dunno what GinxTV actually is until now, and I'm still not entirely sure, so I'm going to take a stab.

I'm also guessing since Aoife says it's a new show, previous shows such as the Apps thing and the History thing have been running before this, and this one is to provide feedback for the other three.

So, yeah, I don't really mind the whole taking comments from social media sites, but agree in probably putting in some discernible effort into what's been said. Just not... deadpan.

I disagree with having someone else in there - the show's pitch seems to be something like... Tosh.0 or that show on ESPN where they take Youtube clips and get people to pitch in from twitter like they matter. I think the current host can show emotions, just needs to get into it a bit more.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here