Zero Punctuation: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

I just hate the Zelda series in general for the reasons Yahtzee stated. I'll never understand how Call of Duty gets berated for being iterative (the very reason I've boycotted the series, they're all increasingly worse CoD4s), but Nintendo's series all get a free ride. The only truly bold Nintendo series is Kirby, everything else is rinse and repeat. But, at least, say, the Mario formula works with the whole same-as-last-time-but-more-of-it stuff. Mario Galaxy 2 was just "more of the same" and it was brilliant for it. But Zelda's formula makes more-of-the-same-but-slightly-different... they're like MMO expansions, that's what they are. More dungeons. More NPCs. More Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'll agree with the little things you found annoying with the game, but I won't agree with your general dislike of the game.
I loved Skyward Sword and can't wait to play it again on hard mode (lent it to my brother to beat).
I didn't find the sword laggy at all and really enjoy the sword combat; it is genuinely hard, and not "THESE CONTROLS ARE FUCKING STUPID" hard. It is nice to have a game with motion controls that actually work, that isn't Metroid Prime 3.
Flight never bothered me, but turning was a bit sluggish.
Yes you get the same items as every other zelda game (I lol'd when you get both clawshots at the same time), but thats because it just makes sense. Whenever I started a new dungeon, I'd try to guess what the item of the dungeon would be, and was right most of the time (forgot the whip existed though).

Am I a Zelda and Nintendo fanboy? You bet your tits. Does that effect my ability to judge a Zelda game or a Nintendo game fairly and unbiased? Not one bit. Skyward Sword is a lot of fun, and I highly suggest anyone that enjoys Zelda games or dungeon crawlers, to get it.

I doubt there will be any game on the Wii Yahtzee will ever like....

CDi Zelda review would make a great Xmass special...

Shirokurou:
CDi Zelda review would make a great Xmass special...

If he's do that he'd have to give skyward sword a re-review; but then proclaiming it is the pinnacle of human achievement. (yeah...CDi-games were that bad)

I actually have to concede most of the criticisms made but that stuff about the sword fighting being unresponsive is just bull. It's not at all. If you are having trouble with it then you clearly aren't doing it right, and are just flailing around aimlessly. And of course all the enemies have directional blocking. That's the whole idea. It's making the combat far more strategic. You have to think about how you attack instead of just, oh I don't know, flailing around aimlessly. And who says that Zelda games are only allowed to be judged against Zelda games? I've never heard anyone say that. I guess you could say that for ages there wasn't really any other game to compare it to since no-one really tried to do a Zelda-like game up until recently. But now we have Darksiders and Okami, which are both brilliant games. They even do some things better than Zelda (shock horror!)

Obviously I'm a big Zelda fan, but I have to agree that from my experience of Skyward Sword it hasn't really turned out to be as amazing as people have made it out to be. It's great that they are changing up the formula, Zelda direly needed that. But I have to say I am finding a lot of things about Skyward Sword that annoy me. These things don't ruin the experience, but I've been finding myself really lacking the motivation to play it as much as previous Zelda games. I haven't got far on it yet. I did find the limited exploration disappointing, and also was kind of put off by how when you are in the sky the ground below is completely blocked by cloud, and yet if you go down there it's clear blue skies. The game has it's issues. I can't say it's the best Zelda game ever, but it's far from the worst. And seriously, that stuff about the unresponsive sword fighting is such a crock of shit.

Guffe:
I doubt there will be any game on the Wii Yahtzee will ever like....

I agree. That's why whenever he reviews a Wii game (or a JRPG, which he's also biased against), I don't bother giving his opinions any validity.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who fucking hates Fi.

This takes me back. Yahtzee, you're awake again! And making insane and vaguely obscene references to things. How I've missed you.

"I found a plot hole! NURSE!!!" Even funnier cause he shouts it like he's genuinely distressed.

did he say "the worst Zelda ever" or "the worst Zelda I've played" because there is A DIFFERENCE!!

I tried a couple of store-demos for Skyward Sword and I absolutely hate the motion controls. The only reason I don't have Twilight Princess now is because by the time I got a GC the price for that version (new) somehow skyrocketed into the $80's. X-mas money will likely fix that though.

Anyway, great about the plot hole and as for the worst Zelda ever...I didn't care for the Train ones on the DS but then I never really gave them a big chance. I'm loving Minish Cap at the moment even though I'm stuck and it's reminding me of Link's Awakening. Link to the Past is still my #1 though with Zelda 2 being a close second.

leet_x1337:

Revolutionaryloser:

FallenMessiah88:
Well, a lot of the critism towards a new game usually has to do with it being either unrefined or unpolished or both, so I personally don't see anything wrong with each Zelda game essentially being a new iteration of the previous one, just like Mario.

Take that back. Mario is a very original game and apart of the odd stray in recent years they have all featured vastly diverse mechanics that exploit platforming in clever and unique ways.

...exactly the same way Zelda has, and yet people call that formulaic and boring.

The main series Mario games have always done more to revive the experience however, there's been a greater trend for experimentation in the Mario games. They were all great games, but, as much as I did enjoy Twilight Princess, I couldn't help but feel like the series was starting to drag.

That being said Skyward Sword completely revitalised the formula for me. The developers took a good look at flow problems with the previous series. The game is going to be divisive, but if the Zelda series is going to continue on the same path as the main Mario games, I'm on board for another few titles.

Skyward Sword is one of my favourites; it's leaps and bounds better than Twilight Princess, at least with its stupid grey-brown blurs that constituted the majority of the game. After Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker it's my favourite, and not just because of the petty graphical reasons.

Andy of Comix Inc:
I just hate the Zelda series in general for the reasons Yahtzee stated. I'll never understand how Call of Duty gets berated for being iterative (the very reason I've boycotted the series, they're all increasingly worse CoD4s), but Nintendo's series all get a free ride. The only truly bold Nintendo series is Kirby, everything else is rinse and repeat. But, at least, say, the Mario formula works with the whole same-as-last-time-but-more-of-it stuff. Mario Galaxy 2 was just "more of the same" and it was brilliant for it. But Zelda's formula makes more-of-the-same-but-slightly-different... they're like MMO expansions, that's what they are. More dungeons. More NPCs. More Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

That's what's so good about Skyward Sword, it isn't like the rest. The developers made a conscious decision to finally tinker with the formula. It's the most original Zelda since Majora's Mask, I would argue. Skyward Sword isn't a rehash, it's a fantastic tribute to the history of the series whilst doing its own thing. So, I'm looking forward to what the developers will do next.

Not only was the review funny, but the thread is even more of a riot! I guess the fanboys will never learn to ignore what others say if they like their game that much. Reminds me of something that Yahtzee said once, that thing about the niggling self-doubt at the back of your head. Was it in the SSBB hatemail review?

Did escapist get hacked by some raging fanboy that deleted the video? File not found.

zefiris:
I will never understand the belief men hold that helping a woman in some way automatically means he is entitled to have sex with her at some point.

I think he's joking (hope it at least), but if I had to take a guess it's because of the alpha leader principle. You know, be successful, rise in social hierarchy, become desirable through status. It's also very common fairy tale material to let the knight rescue the princess impressed by his noble heart and courage, and then they live happily ever after, so I guess that never leaves the mind either.

Mr Somewhere:
Regarding the plot hole, when you open an area to explore, you clear the clouds above it...

Well it's too late now. He's high as a fucking kite from that comically oversize syringe.

Hal10k:

Panning Skyward Sword while also panning the COD clones isn't hypocrisy. If anything, it's perfectly in line with his previous opinions. He isn't against the COD clones specifically because they have a limited color palette, or because they limit the number of weapons the player can carry. Remember that he actually gave a fairly positive review to the original Modern Warfare, which established the current trend in shooters in the first place. He pans the clones because they're clones, e.g. variations upon the same story and gameplay with a few superficial changes that don't alter the core experience.

Hence the Zelda criticism. The Zelda games, whatever you might consider their individual merits to be, haven't changed the basic formula to the story since Link to the Past, haven't made any innovations in core gameplay since Orcarina of Time, and haven't made any strides in overworld navigation since Wind Waker. The setting, art style, and individual challenges might be different, but the underlying themes are all the same. Yahtzee criticizes the COD clones because they only make what he sees as superficial alterations to the same formula; Yahtzee criticizes Zelda games because they only make what he sees as superficial alterations to the same formula.

Believe me, I've tried this and it doesn't work. Zelda games are different and special for their fanboys because "oh they change art style" and "oh, they make superficial differences to story". You see, from the fanboy's perspective, Cod is samey because, despite little tweaks, the formula is the same. By contrast, Zelda has the same formula, but is radically different because of little tweaks? Why? Because great god Ninty has endowed them with it.

I admire your sentiment to impose some logic on this forum, but it just won't work. Nintendo fanboys live in a world of their own, where their opinions can rebuild the world however they want to. You could say that a Zelda game is bad because gravity pulls it down and they would blindly shut their eyes and deny gravity. They aren't interested in other people's opinion.

Revolutionaryloser:
SNIP

Same goes for you. Just drop it. You can't win in their little world.

Here's a quote (I won't actually quote them as I don't want them harrassing me)

YOU. DO. NOT. FUCKING. DISS. ZELDA. PERIOD.

That's not someone who's into rational discussion or other people's opinions. Leave them to rage in peace.

Yes I know that "itsmeyouidiot" claims to have left the forum. But you don't know if he's telling the truth. And there will be others. So many others....

EDIT: And please don't directly quote me if you are going to continue. I would like a quiet life. Please?

OT:

Warforger:

Well have gave Twlight Princess a good review so it's not entirely expected.

When? I don't remember that and I will ashamedly admit that I can quote worrying large amounts of ZP word-for-word.

This review seem so pointless.

He doesn't want to review WH40k or SC2, but he is willing to review another Zelda game?

Oh Yahtzee, how I love your random hatred of things in games, even games I adore and enjoy. The hilarity ensues! Have a pretty good holiday (of whichever religion you choose to follow) and enjoy your stout. Cheers!

Hyakunin Isshu:

He doesn't want to review WH40k or SC2, but he is willing to review another Zelda game?

Starcraft 2 and Warhammer I presume?

I seem to recall him saying he wasn't interested in RTS as a genre and, as a result, didn't know what to say about them.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/7938-On-RTS-Games

I think Skyward Sword is my last Zelda game until combat sees change. After 20 years, its simplicity is wearing my interest thin and I feel the only thing motion controls add is a delay before doing the usual "hit the attack button as fast as possible."

I would like more types of weapons to use in normal combat or a more acrobatic Link. If future Zelda titles have combat something like Secret of Mana or Terranigma I would definitely play them.

I was looking forward to Yahtzee admitting that motion controls deserve more than the passive dismissal he's been giving them for the last 5 years, but I guess that's a bit too much to ask for.

I don't think the default Zelda defense is "each game is a beta for the next." I don't know any Zelda fan who would call any entry to the series a "beta." Zelda doesn't even need a defense. Calling any Zelda a rehash seems moronic when you compare the differences between each game to just about any other currently running franchise. It's even dumber when you consider that Zelda's been around about 3 times longer than most. Each one has a different set of mechanics, engine, setting, art style, item set, etc., but arguably the biggest difference between each one is the overall theme. If somebody told me that they played Majora's Mask, Windwaker, and Skyward Sword, and got a similar experience and emotion out of all of them, I'd tell them that they're only kidding their self.

OT: I didn't have any problems with the motion controls....none....at all....ever. I'm left to conclude that anyone who has trouble with them is either experiencing technical problems, uncoordinated, or a troll. Furthermore, the fights that he seems to be criticizing are what, in my opinion, made the combat in this game exceptional. I'd say it ranks up with Batman as one of my favorite combat systems of this generation. The complaints about the boss fights I'll interpret as a joke, because the bosses in SS are some of the best of the series and the fact that a couple of them break convention is nothing to criticize.

The note about text speed is amusing. Some people are complaining that there's no voice acting, and some are complaining that the text speed is too slow. The funny thing is, the text speed is already much faster than natural speaking, so nobody has a right to complain about both these things unless they plan on skipping 95% of the acting anyway. I do agree that there's way too much dialog in this game and that most of it is tedious and obvious.

I think that SS is to the Zelda series in the same way that Galaxy is to the Mario series. While it's arguable not a good thing for Zelda, both games streamlined their respective franchise and boiled it down to the basics. Mario is a straight up platformer, and I think SS is more of a straight up puzzle game than other Zelda's. What Skyward Sword lacked in explorable area, I feel it made up for in the density of puzzles and treasure in these areas. More so than in any other Zelda game, returning to an area in SS yields results, and the results are actually worthwhile, even if it is just a bunch of rupees, which is more than I can say about Windwaker. I think this is why I didn't mind so much that the areas in SS are so isolated. Besides, if you take the ocean away from Windwaker, your left with a much smaller area than SS has.

The complaints about the story are strange. Complaining about the story in any Zelda game is strange enough, but the points made here don't seem accurate. I think the story is more prevalent in SS than in most other Zelda games. The "copy and pasted" boss fight (which is so incredibly not copy and pasted and so incredibly not as simple as he made it seem) he mentioned and the other "generic" boss fight (which is so not generic...he even said how it isn't generic moments after he called it generic) are both proof of this.

It's amazing that Yahtzee can review a Zelda game for 5 minutes and not mention once anything to do with the level design or puzzles. The lack of leisure exploration is just that big of a deal? You liked Portal, didn't you Yahtzee?

Price0331:
I picked up skyward sword and still can't get past the intro town.

I've been a Zelda fan for years, but I'll be damned to say that this formula is getting waaaaaaay past its prime. I mean, Nintendo still doesn't even want to voice act these things.

So yeah, +1 to Yahtzee

Did you play Other M?! hell even I dont want voice actors in my Zelda games

Revolutionaryloser:

I really can't tell if you are serious anymore but if you are, you are a bad influence on gaming. It is because of people like you that mediocrity in gaming is acceptable. You probably think that giving a game a review score of 10 is perfectly acceptable. You don't seem to understand that developers are supposed to think of ways to make games better and more entertaining. Not by adding one new feature and changing a few things around but by actually using the tools that are being created and perfected with technology every day to cross new frontiers in gaming and interactivity. I've probably lost you at this point, so whatever. Go play every "new" game they throw at you and pay 60 bucks every time. It's not my money anyway.

No if anything's a bad influence on the game industry it's pretentious people like you. If you completely change the Zelda formula too much then it's not really Zelda any more, is it? You can't just take a franchise and totally reconstruct it every new game. Some elements need to stay the same.

And you're acting like these are minor tweaks? They're not. They sound like it in theory but in practice, they're not. Really, we need less elitist pricks like you who pretend that the gaming industry revolves soley around yourself. Piss off.

Hal10k:
Yeah, the people who dislike the game are probably a vocal minority, but that doesn't mean "objectivity" factors into their opinion any more than it does for the people who disliked Skyrim or MW3. Being in the minority does not make your opinion invalid or unworthy of regard. Also, he was criticizing the things that worked a little bit differently for SS (god, that's an unfortunate acronym) because he saw them as superficial changes that did nothing to alter the formula. He was using them to make the point that the games have been using more-or-less the same structure since OoT, with different things changed as window dressings.

I think you didn't read my post correctly.

I was saying that I can either take the minority opinion that it's "the worst game ever made because Nintendo products suck by default", or the (vast) majority opinion that it's "the greatest game on the Wii and the best Zelda of the last 10 years" or any of the other sweeping praises thrown onto it.

Thus I was wishing for some actual objectivity in the review system, since all I've been seeing is the positive extreme from the mainstream reviewers, and the negative extreme from self-proclaimed haters of virtually all things Nintendo. Obviously neither is really showing themselves to be a credible source of information.

Also, you seemed to have missed the part where I didn't care what Yahtzee thinks, so why would I care what he considers to be "superficial"? It's pretty obvious the dude doesn't know what he's talking about with regards to Zelda, I've played OoT and TP (two games he claims are the same) and besides the traditional names for the princess, hero, and villain, there are some pretty big changes between the pair. Are there a lot of similarities? Sure. Are they as identical as, say, CoD or BF? Eh....I'd be willing to entertain that notion, perhaps, though I think that the changes between each Zelda are honestly more significant than that. But "the exact same game"? That's a load of bollocks.

All of the things I've heard about the game from people who have actually played it with the intention of enjoying themselves (i.e. NOT Yahtzee) have sounded like pretty significant changes to the formula. Anyone who has played a lot of Zelda games can tell you that while the technical feel is generally pretty similar (which it should be, since it's trying to cater to its fans just like modern FPS games keep things generally the same to please THEIR fans), the story details tend to differ quite a lot (even if it all still fits under the same "princess captured, go save her Link" framework). SS not only changed its story but the control scheme as well, AND it changed its general formula of go-to-dungeon-once-and-never-again by having you repeatedly revisit locations, AND it doesn't always recycle the routine of use-new-dungeon-item-on-boss (something which Yahtzee hypocritically mocks in the review). And I'm supposed to believe that it is still the same game as OoT? How many more adjustments does the next Zelda need to have before I'm allowed to dismiss Yahtzee's opinion as hypocritical rot? Should the next Zelda feature a princess not named Zelda, a hero not named Link, and a villain not named Ganon, or will that still be the same game?

It's true that having a different opinion doesn't make it wrong, but that doesn't mean I can't ignore it when it's clearly misinformed.

ahhh... the sound of nintendo fanboys getting angry at the truth. I was a zelda/nintendo fanboy and still consider majora's mask the best. I have gotten tired of nintendo abusing my love (aka holding earthbound out of reach along with other games) but unlike other fanboys ive moved on and will not give nintendo another shot until I see it bringing better games.

I would swear some of you fanboys are like a housewife explaining away black eyes and broken bones. Nintendo hit me several times and realized i needed to move on.

I like Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword, but god damn does Fi have the most annoying voice over anyone else in the series. I'm starting to take back everything I said about navi being annoying.

itsmeyouidiot:

Jennacide:

trollpwner:
"Skyward Sword is the worst Zelda game ever".

Wow, we aren't just going to need a flameshield, we need a flamebunker!

Except that barring the CDI games, I think he's dead on. Skyward Sword is easily the least inspired of the series, even though the crazy Zelda fanboys will ignore that fact. Especially when he uses the examples of the newer Kirby games, which are constantly doing new and interesting things.

Really? Because the motion controls seem to be quite revolutionary.

In the Wii Twilight Princess, you just sorta flailed around. In this game, you're actually controlling the sword with your movements, and contrary to what Twatzee says, I actually find there to be no delay in Link's movement at all.

And really, why exactly is being "uninspired" such a bad thing? The Zelda formula is very nearly perfect, what else can you really do with it? I really couldn't care less if each new Zelda game is a "rehash" or whatever other bullshit phrase you spoiled dipshits use to describe a good game.

As long as there are new dungeons to explore, I'm happy, and you should be, too.

Ah ad hominem, always a good way to win an arguement. I guess being a "spoiled dipshit" I hold games to a higher standard of doing something interesting or fresh. Motion controls were 'revoluntionary' years ago. Using Wii Motion Plus to make your movements more exacting is not impressive when they are used for very gimmicky crap like monsters that can only be attacked from a certain directional swing. If you're going to have a gimmick, at least be an interesting one, like Minish Cap's size jumping, or Okami's brush strokes.

Honestly, calling the Zelda formula near perfect is absurd to me. No game has ever, or will ever, be perfect. And ending on the note of as long as their are dungeons to explore comes across comical to me, as Skyward Sword has the lowest number of unique areas and more backtracking than any game in the series, even Phantom Hourglass which was all about backtracking.

trollpwner:

Panning Skyward Sword while also panning the COD clones isn't hypocrisy. If anything, it's perfectly in line with his previous opinions. He isn't against the COD clones specifically because they have a limited color palette, or because they limit the number of weapons the player can carry. Remember that he actually gave a fairly positive review to the original Modern Warfare, which established the current trend in shooters in the first place. He pans the clones because they're clones, e.g. variations upon the same story and gameplay with a few superficial changes that don't alter the core experience.

Hence the Zelda criticism. The Zelda games, whatever you might consider their individual merits to be, haven't changed the basic formula to the story since Link to the Past, haven't made any innovations in core gameplay since Orcarina of Time, and haven't made any strides in overworld navigation since Wind Waker. The setting, art style, and individual challenges might be different, but the underlying themes are all the same. Yahtzee criticizes the COD clones because they only make what he sees as superficial alterations to the same formula; Yahtzee criticizes Zelda games because they only make what he sees as superficial alterations to the same formula.

Believe me, I've tried this and it doesn't work. Zelda games are different and special for their fanboys because "oh they change art style" and "oh, they make superficial differences to story". You see, from the fanboy's perspective, Cod is samey because, despite little tweaks, the formula is the same. By contrast, Zelda has the same formula, but is radically different because of little tweaks? Why? Because great god Ninty has endowed them with it.

I admire your sentiment to impose some logic on this forum, but it just won't work. Nintendo fanboys live in a world of their own, where their opinions can rebuild the world however they want to. You could say that a Zelda game is bad because gravity pulls it down and they would blindly shut their eyes and deny gravity. They aren't interested in other people's opinion.

I mentioned this before, but, here we go again. The series was growing stagnant, yes, but Skyward Sword is the game where they actually do things differently, the genuinely changed the pace and flow this time around. It really breaks up the monotony and the series will be all the better for it if they continue on this trend.

Please try playing the game before you add blind criticisms.

EDIT: Whoops, made a bit of a mess of that last quote, sorry.

"Gee, maybe I was wrong about this Yahtzee fella I hate the guts of and find to be a bane of all gaming. Everyone seems to defend this intolerable person around here. Maybe he's come to his senses and sees The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword for the amazing game it really is and I'll gain some respect for him".

"Yahtzee proceeds to mutilate the greatest game of 2011 like an irredeemable..."

I feel sad for being a video gamer knowing that I share the fandom with people like Yahtzee. I'm never making the mistake of ever watching his videos or reading his materials again. It's an utter horrific waste of human life. I think I'd lose less brain cells watching Bill o' Reilly.

Not that such a video even deserves a rebuttal, but Skyward Sword is far from the "worst" Zelda game, Zelda games are not rehashed and anyone who says that makes their opinions look as valid as when someone pulls a Godwin's Law. Zelda games in general are amazing, not because of "blind fanboyism", but because they are. There are no problems with the motion control in this game, and all that seems to be Yahtzee's meaningless bias towards motion control.

trollpwner:

Hyakunin Isshu:

Starcraft 2 and Warhammer I presume?

I seem to recall him saying he wasn't interested in RTS as a genre and, as a result, didn't know what to say about them.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/7938-On-RTS-Games

Exactly the point. If he isn't into motion controls games, why review the climax of motion control games? His lack of interest make the review kinda unfunny, he just point the obvious. He even misses that one of the most "evil" boss is the Cookie Monster's cousin!

Mr Somewhere:

trollpwner:

Hal10k:

I mentioned this before, but, here we go again. The series was growing stagnant, yes, but Skyward Sword is the game where they actually do things differently, the genuinely changed the pace and flow this time around. It really breaks up the monotony and the series will be all the better for it if they continue on this trend.

EDIT: Whoops, made a bit of a mess of that last quote, sorry. Don't worry, I fixed it.

Well, here we go again into the land of Zelda fan-tasy.

Y'know what? Since this is your magical dream castle, why not we do it your way?

Or you don't have to do either. You can just ignore my "ignorant" "bashing" of such a wonderful, innovative work of art and go back to the game you clearly enjoy. Just because I dare to hold the opinion that perhaps Skyward Sword isn't the greatest game ever or particularly innovative, doesn't mean I have to get in your way. If you enjoy something, nothing else, least of all someone else's petty view should matter. At least that's what I told my wife when she caught me with the au pair.

EDIT:

Mangue Surfer:

Exactly the point. If he isn't into motion controls games, why review the climax of motion control games? His lack of interest make the review kinda unfunny, he just point the obvious. He even misses that one of the most "evil" boss is the Cookie Monster's cousin!

Erm....because he feels he is qualified to talk about motion controls, because he understands controls, having used them in all different forms for years? (Unlike RTS games, which he has never been able to gain any kind of understanding of.)

And because some of what he says doesn't relate to motion controls?

Or you could just ignore him if you don't like him. If he's "unqualified", like you say, to judge motion controls, why bother listening to him? I don't listen to my grandma on how to fix my new computer, so if you think someone really can't give you useful information, why bother even hearing what they have to say?

trollpwner:

Mr Somewhere:

trollpwner:

EDIT: Whoops, made a bit of a mess of that last quote, sorry. Don't worry, I fixed it.

Well, here we go again into the land of Zelda fan-tasy.

Y'know what? Since this is your magical dream castle, why not we do it your way?

Or you don't have to do either. You can just ignore my "ignorant" "bashing" of such a wonderful, innovative work of art and go back to the game you clearly enjoy. Just because I dare to hold the opinion that perhaps Skyward Sword isn't the greatest game ever or particularly innovative, doesn't mean I have to get in your way. If you enjoy something, nothing else, least of all someone else's petty view should matter. At least that's what I told my wife when she caught me with the au pair.

EDIT:

Mangue Surfer:

Erm....because he feels he is qualified to talk about motion controls, because he understands controls, having used them in all different forms for years? (Unlike RTS games, which he has never been able to gain any kind of understanding of.)

And because some of what he says doesn't relate to motion controls?

Or you could just ignore him if you don't like him. If he's "unqualified", like you say, to judge motion controls, why bother listening to him? I don't listen to my grandma on how to fix my new computer, so if you think someone really can't give you useful information, why bother even hearing what they have to say?

I don't mind your opinion. But I find that most of the people comparing it to COD and the like have not played it. Have you played the game?
The new boss is quite different to Ganondorf, and he actually offers a rather clever parrallel to another character in the game, I won't go into it because I don't want to spoil it. The flow genuinely adds something to the game. Every new moment in the overworld adds a new challenge, you'll see something new each time the game brings you there. Items are no longer gimmicks but are explored through out the game. The overworld actually has a flavour akin to the original. There's a constant challenge. Everything is a puzzle, even down to the combat.
It has the bones of the Zelda formula, yes but it is a Zelda game, there's nothing wrong with that. But comparing it to an expansion pack is a total joke. It develops the series and that's what the Zelda games needed.

Also "Well, here we go again into the land of Zelda fan-tasy.

Y'know what? Since this is your magical dream castle, why not we do it your way?"

Try not to be so painfully arrogant. Don't judge somebody you don't even know. I'm not a Zelda fan, I'm not a Nintendo fan, I'm a fan of good games. As far as I'm concerned Skyward Sword was amongst the best this year.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here