Even More Skyrim Mods

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Even More Skyrim Mods

Editing your Skyrim.ini file for fun and profit!

Read Full Article

You, sir... have excellent taste in mods. I've basically done the same you have in every one of these entries :D (except for modifying my .ini, which I'm so doing now.)

In fact, Enhanced Night Skyrim was my first mod ever. Beautiful stuff.

Why did I have to get the PS3 version O_o

Regardless, seeing this makes me damn jealous. The PC version already looked so much better. With those mods enabled it looks as if it's been transformed altogether.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna eat my heart out.

Ok i never considered touching the in game files, but after reading this i will definitely be making those changes! Most informative Mr. Tito. +1

if yall are into texture mods i recommend Tobes Highres Textures It makes it inside of your house look so much better. I spend too much time there to not have the furniture look great! Seeing that i almost exclusively just use the wife/merchant! XD

Weapons of the Third Era is freaking great too. Love that they added Japanese swords. NODACHI's are instant win!

Cannot wait too see what mods will come out when the Mod Tools release in January! the best $60 i've spent all year!

p.s. I ♥ the CBBE mod ;)

DTWolfwood:
Ok i never considered touching the in game files, but after reading this i will definitely be making those changes! Most informative Mr. Tito. +1

if yall are into texture mods i recommend Tobes Highres Textures It makes it inside of your house look so much better. I spend too much time there to not have the furniture look great! Seeing that i almost exclusively just use the wife/merchant! XD

Weapons of the Third Era is freaking great too. Love that they added Japanese swords. NODACHI's are instant win!

Cannot wait too see what mods will come out when the Mod Tools release in January! the best $60 i've spent all year!

p.s. I ♥ the CBBE mod ;)

Definitely checkin' out that Tobes mod. Good call.

What about a mod to removing the jarringly bad 3rd person kill animations? Any suggestions?

EDIT: THAAAANNNNNKKKK YYYYYOOOOOUUUUU for that info about shadows. TERRIBLE bug that Beth seems ignorant of, or they don't care.

Braedan:
What about a mod to removing the jarringly bad 3rd person kill animations? Any suggestions?

New Vegas, Morrowind and Fallout 3 got animation fixes, so Skyrim probably will. The thing is, animations are really hard to fix. Check back in a couple months.

Greg Tito:
Even More Skyrim Mods

Read Full Article

You missed Thuumic. I assume that's because it's getting its own article? It's still a faff at the moment but when you've got everything working together with minimal lag it's the most fun mod I've seen for anything.

Yay! I thought the blocky shadows were because of ATIs catalyst control center, will edit Ini. as soon as Im back from christmas and new years eve with my family. Silly RL..

The limit on odd numbers for the grid quares to laod is because it is measuring the "Diameter" of a square around your character. 1 means to load only the squre you are standing in. 3 means to load an extra square on each side, so you end up with a 3x3 grid. 5 results in a 5x5 grid etc. For this reason you can't have even numbers.

Also SkyUI is actually compatible with QD inventory. You can use SkyUI most of the time, and the QD style menu when bartering etc. Just thought you might like to know.

Rack:

Greg Tito:
Even More Skyrim Mods

Read Full Article

You missed Thuumic. I assume that's because it's getting its own article? It's still a faff at the moment but when you've got everything working together with minimal lag it's the most fun mod I've seen for anything.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Thuumic MUST have its own article. It is honestly much easier to set up and use than I had expected, and playing a nord warrior with Thuumic and 1/10th of the normal shout cooldown is the most fun I have had with the game so far.

In case anyone hasn't heard of this mod I have three words for you: VOICE ACTIVATED SHOUTS!

Changing the uGridsToLoad is very, very dangerous, as it were. Skyrim is optimized to run with it set at 5, any more than that and it starts getting very crash-prone. Like, bump it up to 9 and you can't go for more than like 30 minutes without crashing. 11 is even worse.
Also, if you up the number and make a save, that save won't load if you lower the number again, so you can very lose your save files due to the fact that upping the number makes the game so crash-prone, so make sure you make a new save before you change any settings.

To get rid of the loading screen you can also delete the video file. You have to do it every single time the game gets updated but its an easier, mod free, solution to the problem.

I'm loving the QD inventory mod, makes life so much easier!

Bethesda doesn't actually have to make the next Elder Scrolls game. Not entirely, anyways. They can just release an unfinished prototype and the modding community will do the rest of the work entirely for free.

Nice mods, can't use them what with buying the xbox version, but still.

Only issue I have is with the blood one, sure the blood looks nice and realistic and as it should, which is a definite improvement, but the screen blood, couldn't they have gotten rid of it entirely?

I mean besides conveying that you've done damage to someone what real world relevance does screen blood splatter have? Seems a little silly that when you kill someone you need to have blood splattere on what is the in-game equivilant of your eyeballs.

Why am I always a step ahead of you? (Probably because I've already installed 80 graphics mods or so, so I could recommend quite a few, but you always seem to use the ones I do)

Also, just pointing out QD Inventory IS compatible with SkyUI, meaning you can have SkyUI for your main inventory and have QD manage the rest whilst you wait for SkyUI to completely update.

Archemetis:
Nice mods, can't use them what with buying the xbox version, but still.

Only issue I have is with the blood one, sure the blood looks nice and realistic and as it should, which is a definite improvement, but the screen blood, couldn't they have gotten rid of it entirely?

I mean besides conveying that you've done damage to someone what real world relevance does screen blood splatter have? Seems a little silly that when you kill someone you need to have blood splattere on what is the in-game equivilant of your eyeballs.

no if you mod your pc saves it can be transfered onto your xbox.. its how people are level 300 and have maxed everything..
or 99999999999999 gold at the start of the game.
no idea how thats done though.

lacktheknack:

Braedan:

New Vegas, Morrowind and Fallout 3 got animation fixes, so Skyrim probably will. The thing is, animations are really hard to fix. Check back in a couple months.

Yeah, I was looking for a mod to remove just third person animations though, since even if they were good it would be painful to be ripped from one perspective to another.

No offense intended, but complaining that you have to keep Skyrim Script Extender updated to make a mod work is inane. Anyone who has played Morrowind or Oblivion on PC(and modded it obviously) can tell you that the Script Extender series is pretty much key to getting the most out of your TES experience. In time, the majority of mods that affect gameplay(rather than those that affect appearance or content) will require SKSE. It's best just to get used to that now.

That said, I do agree that SKYUI is more a mod to watch than anything else right now.

Scars Unseen:
No offense intended, but complaining that you have to keep Skyrim Script Extender updated to make a mod work is inane. Anyone who has played Morrowind or Oblivion on PC(and modded it obviously) can tell you that the Script Extender series is pretty much key to getting the most out of your TES experience. In time, the majority of mods that affect gameplay(rather than those that affect appearance or content) will require SKSE. It's best just to get used to that now.

That said, I do agree that SKYUI is more a mod to watch than anything else right now.

I think his mindset it more like mine right now- the SKSE just came out, so it has a lot of potential to fuck up. I'm waiting until about a month after the construction kit comes out to use any mod that needs it, just to be safe.

Well you should have added one for Christmas times: Get festive!
And I find the time displayed in loading screens particularly useful so I know when it's time to go to bed.

Oddly, I already use every one of those mods lol. Actually that's probably not odd. I should just list my entire mod list, as I've found a ton that are great for enhancing the vanilla game but that don't actually change the gameplay elements at all. The worst offender would be my crafting mods, but really, being able to smelt old weapons into ingots, or craft arrows, is hardly an offense haha.

I do have some issues with the graphics tweaks though... Well, ok, not so much in their advice about increasing the visual fidelity... but it kind of ignores that this game is very CPU limited and particularily by increasing ugrids you end up needing a lot more CPU power. I have ugrids at 7 and shadows at 4096 and am getting a pretty solid 56-60 fps everywhere except cities. My GPU usage rarely caps out, though. When I run higher shadow resolution it looks nice, sure, but the bad thing is it takes even more CPU usage to calculate all the details and I end up with a fair bit of stutter/slow down. I'm running an i5 750 at 4ghz and a pair of 5850s with 20-30% OCs.

ben---neb:
To get rid of the loading screen you can also delete the video file. You have to do it every single time the game gets updated but its an easier, mod free, solution to the problem.

This is way easier than fiddle with a mod. Have done this since day 3... or 5. It gets a bit blurry...

Really Starting to wish I had a decent PC to run Skyrim. All I've got is the Dell laptop I'm using right now. Any of these improvements made it to the Xbox version yet?

ZeroMachine:

Scars Unseen:

I think his mindset it more like mine right now- the SKSE just came out, so it has a lot of potential to fuck up. I'm waiting until about a month after the construction kit comes out to use any mod that needs it, just to be safe.

And that would be fair enough if true, but that's not what he said. It wasn't the possible bugs that SKSE might have that bothered, him, but rather the fact that SKYUI was dependent on a third party scripting program, despite the fact that this scripting program is just the next iteration of a series of such programs with a long history of being incredibly useful for modders(which is why so many mods are dependent on it).

Scars Unseen:
And that would be fair enough if true, but that's not what he said. It wasn't the possible bugs that SKSE might have that bothered, him, but rather the fact that SKYUI was dependent on a third party scripting program, despite the fact that this scripting program is just the next iteration of a series of such programs with a long history of being incredibly useful for modders(which is why so many mods are dependent on it).

Well, I think it's more annoying to have to go to a different site to keep a another mod up to date, and SkyUI doesn't do enough (yet) for me to justify that extra step.

Greg

Joccaren:
Also, just pointing out QD Inventory IS compatible with SkyUI, meaning you can have SkyUI for your main inventory and have QD manage the rest whilst you wait for SkyUI to completely update.

Really? I assumed cause they both modified the interface file that they wouldn't work together. How did you get it to work?

Greg

I'm really liking this series. My reaction to SkyUI was exactly the same, but it is definitely one to watch, and I agree that shadows are the most problematic element of Skyrim graphics so will give some of your tweaks a try.  I don't need them exact, but I can't stand them being pixelated as they are.  

Whoever voices Lydia needs to make a mod that replaces her dialog in two occasions:

"I have a bad feeling about this" would be changed to: "don't forget to quicksave", and

"I am sworn to carry your burdens" would be changed to "thank you sir, may I carry more?". Or just redone in a different tone. Or better yet it can just be turned off entirely. Maybe I'll work on a mod for that. 

Good mods so far, but damn things are going to skyrocket when the creator kit comes out. Just wish they'd release it with the game is all!

Greg Tito:

Joccaren:

Really? I assumed cause they both modified the interface file that they wouldn't work together. How did you get it to work?

Greg

It is entirely possible to use both at once, as Joccaren and myself (in an earlier post than his which I am not at all bitter about not being noticed...) have already said. I installed QD inventory first, but I'm not sure if that is even an essential step. They just both seem to work at the same time. The SkyUI inventory is used for everything it can do at the moment, and QDInventory does the rest. This means that you don't have to put up with the really terrible vanilla bartering UI elements.
I imagine that in the future SkyUI will be able to do both, but until then a mixture of both is better than nothing.

I've had a no intro video mod for some time. Do it yourself:

Go to Skyrim's directory/Data/Video. Delete everything inside.

It also works for most other games as well. And you can tell quite easily if a new patch came out: it's back!

Greg Tito:

Joccaren:

Greg

I just installed them one after the other, SkyUI after QD. Checked on the forums to make sure they were compatible in the first place, and turns out SkyUI, QD and better sorting are all compatible. Makes things a bit easier whilst the other SkyUI screens are getting done.

Braedan:

set killmove to 0 (in console)

although this also removes first person ones...will have to wait for toolset to disable independently.

I think I'm gonna hit up that Enhanced Night Skyrim one. I'd love to recreate the look I gave Oblivion.

Mkay. I've been playing with shadow settings this morning, both with recommendations here and elsewhere, and I have yet to find a better option than simply increasing iBlurDeferredShadowMask from a 3 to a 5.

Cranking up iShadowMapResultion does make shadows look much better and gets rid of almost all of the blockiness, but on my system the framerate went from fluid outdoors to a grinding unplayable halt inside Breezehome and Dragonsreach--and based on your system specs, I'd be surprised if the same thing didn't happen to you.

I think it would be a small change for Bethesda to make things a lot better, without compromising frame rate much, and no changes in the graphical engine: simply use different shadow settings for players, npc's, monsters, and all other structures that could be adjusted accordingly, with the highest map settings to the player to remove the blockiness, and then weaker maps going to other things. It is mainly the blockiness of my own character and housecarl that I have an objection to, and the only other time I even notice pixelated shadows is inside Breezehome.

Other than that, I don't know if there is a setting that makes shadows lighter, but I would like that. Also, indoors, if no other shadow is cast, they should have a shadowy circle underneath the player, and maybe a minimal shadow setting like that even for outdoors. In most games that is what I set shadows to, being the frame-rate whore I am.

I've already got some of the graphical mods and I'm pleased to say I'm not having any problems with them. What would really make me happy though is a complete aesthetic overhaul that nakes the entire game looks like tloz:wind waker. But thats just ridiculous. An all text no voice actor patch would be nice too. I'm pretty content with these for now though.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here