Escape to the Movies: War Horse

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I was an extra in this movie :)

Wow, I really thought that you would say the movie was dull if not okay but I was way wrong! Really good show Movie Bob, you do know how to certainly draw in your viewers with your, well... reviews! Anyhow I think that is the reason why this movie sells- it's not cliche' with the person being a hero in a bloody war but instead through the eyes of an animal being forced into war. That really gets you thinking, and starting to feel for the horse. Might have to see it myself now.

Not usually a watcher of horse movies myself due to them usually being both Oscar bait and Chick flicks but your review made it sound like its not the typical horse movie.

So.... Does this make up for the Crystal Skull accident?

Hmm, I heard my dad talk about this and I dismissed it as just your average animal heartstring pull movie. I was right about the animal heartstring pull but it seems I was wrong about average.

I can't wait for the inevitable rifftrax.

I shan't watch it. I don't care how well a director can handle heartbreaking content, I got over a desire to watch soul-crushingly woeful conditions ruining a protagonist about six years ago.

It's just too sad. For me, now that it's my dollar and not my parent's, films are a luxury that I don't indulge in lightly. I don't even get free tickets for being my university's film society president anymore. A film needs to be of real quality but also needs to be emotionally worthwhile - I'm talking about movies that are light hearted but deep, or films with a strong sense of justice despite the hardship. Frankly, there aren't many films like that coming out anymore.

Imagine LOTR if in the end Frodo failed like a bitch and the moral of the story is: "These things cannot be defeated/avoided, so don't let them happen in the first place"... That's pretty much the moral of Warhorse as much as I can tell, and it's not worth the time or money.

I'd say the only movie of the last few months I've liked was Moneyball because Brad Pitt, admittedly, can nail almost any role and it had some interesting plot progression. I am not going to sit in a theater watching three hours of a movie I'm bound to forget about in a few week's time just to feel depressed and perhaps a little teary.

I get enough WWI rage and sadness just thinking about Field Marshall Sir Douglas Haig, I don't need to see him shove a broom handle up a horses posterior just so I can be told by the writers that he was a sadistic prick.

skibadaa:
I was an extra in this movie :)

./like

I'm still slightly miffed at the stage version taking Best Play over my much-beloved Jerusalem, but I thought at the time that it would work better as a film. Guess I thought along the right lines then. Probably will give this a look after GWtDT.

ok bob, second week in a row that a movie i had no interest in got reviewed. not really anything wrong with that it's just that i really love Friday because a lot of times the movie I'm most interested in seeing is the one you end up reviewing. i was hoping for Sherlock Holmes or mission impossible last week, and while tin tin was a good review, it wasn't out in America yet and if i wanted to see it i wouldn't have been able to any way.

this week i was really looking forward to Girl with a dragon tattoo, i love the director, and i was really interested to see how it came out, plus you had mentioned it in another episode a while back so i figured that would be your pick.

not that I'm complaining it's just that the only two weeks in the year that I've been really looking forward to your reviews in a "i might go see these Saturday" way. i rarely go to the theaters and these were the only movies this year that i wanted to see in theaters. i still probably will but I really want to see what your take on them was, especially since you didn't like Sherlock Holmes.

BakedZnake:
Did he say german tanks in WW1? OMG parallel universe! Lets hope they dont discover radar in WW2

Umm... What? Tanks were in WW1, man.

OT: I'm sure it's good, Bob. It just doesn't interest me in the slightest.

TaboriHK:
In a war where thousands upon thousands of human beings who didn't want to be there and weren't affected by the outcome just as much, I can't imagine giving a damn about a horse. Even if the orchestra is pulling for him. Does the movie close with the horse coming home, embittered by war, to write a taut yet revealing look at the horrors of war? It's a goddamn HORSE!

Thank you for being the only person to say this.

World War one claimed the lives of countless living breathing men women and children and I'm supposed to get emotionally invested in a mistreated horse. Give me a gun and I'll shoot every dammed horse in the world before I see one person harmed.

Spielberg should have put a dog that got beaten every now and then in Schindler's List then at least all the PETA freaks and animal fanatics would have something to give a crap about as the poor Jews were led to the gas chambers.

No more family movies for a while, Bob. I can take a review of Tintin, I'll suck it up if you want to talk about Scorsese's kids movie/love letter to a visionary director, but this is either Girl with the Dragon Tattoo week or, if you couldn't see an advance screening for that one, at least Mission Impossible week which we all know you saw.

I was going to give this one a pass. I didn't know that Steven Spieberg was behind it. That guy is enough to rouse interest where trailers and previews were only able to find quiet cynicism. I'm still not ready to run out the doors to watch it, but if invited out to watch with friends, I think the answer will be "yes."

urprobablyright:

Imagine LOTR if in the end Frodo failed like a bitch and the moral of the story is: "These things cannot be defeated/avoided, so don't let them happen in the first place"... That's pretty much the moral of Warhorse as much as I can tell, and it's not worth the time or money.

I'm not here to convince you to see it. I'm just here to suggest that you should watch a movie before assuming anything. Come from a place of knowledge before you come from a place of ignorance. I was with you in your comment before you said the above. Tight on cash? Right there with you. Assuming a movie has a moral you don't agree with? That is not worth the time.

hmm... this or Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy?

Interesting...probably not the type of film I'd go to see in the cinema.

Also, what is the big deal with people seemingly being desperate for Bob to review Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? Actually, what is the big deal with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, full stop?

Yes, I get it, it's the director. If you're so keen in finding out how the film has turned out, why not just go and see it? You don't need to wait for someone to review it surely.

The only thing here that bugs the shit out of me about this movie is that we finally get a good, high quality, well made film about the horrors of the Great War(which Hollywood is complacent to totally ignore since it doesn't have U.S. troops punching out Nazis) and it's about a fucking horse?

Very minor quibble, but still irks me like all hell as a history nerd.

wwmcfar:

TaboriHK:
In a war where thousands upon thousands of human beings who didn't want to be there and weren't affected by the outcome just as much, I can't imagine giving a damn about a horse. Even if the orchestra is pulling for him. Does the movie close with the horse coming home, embittered by war, to write a taut yet revealing look at the horrors of war? It's a goddamn HORSE!

World War one claimed the lives of countless living breathing men women and children and I'm supposed to get emotionally invested in a mistreated horse. Give me a gun and I'll shoot every dammed horse in the world before I see one person harmed.

Spielberg should have put a dog that got beaten every now and then in Schindler's List then at least all the PETA freaks and animal fanatics would have something to give a crap about as the poor Jews were led to the gas chambers.

Read/watch "All Quiet on the Western Front" if you want to see something about the human suffering in that war. The idea with the horse is that it's completely innoncent and has nothing to do with this war. It's like throwing a child into that scenario. Feeling sorry for it is a perfectly normal human reaction to this, at least in the context of a movie where the horse has a relatable personality.

MarsProbe:
Interesting...probably not the type of film I'd go to see in the cinema.

Also, what is the big deal with people seemingly being desperate for Bob to review Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? Actually, what is the big deal with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, full stop?

Yes, I get it, it's the director. If you're so keen in finding out how the film has turned out, why not just go and see it? You don't need to wait for someone to review it surely.

The deal is that the original Swedish production trilogy was an international hit both on critic level and box office (completely shattered the international box office record for a Swedish movie, about 100M$, while previous record was like what 14-16M), for them it would be on level with the original Star Wars trilogy, rain money out of nowhere, since they mostly just make movie for their artistic value, so just have habit of trying to recoup the cost of their movie usually.

The thing is that bob been a critic, might not want to review it, if he saw the original, since it is actually pretty recent (the first movie was release less then 3 years ago) and the new Trilogy is just high budget cloning, so likely to leave a bitter taste to someone who has seen the original.

BakedZnake:
Did he say german tanks in WW1? OMG parallel universe! Lets hope they dont discover radar in WW2

link for the unknowledgable? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanks_in_World_War_I
OT: Bob, I like you, but for the first forty seconds of your description, all I was thinking was:
The Artist...The Artist...Why don't you say a word about 'The Artist' for the exact same reasons you talked about...

Firia:
Assuming a movie has a moral you don't agree with? That is not worth the time.

Fair enough.

To be honest it's been years and years since I didn't like a Steven Spielberg film, so I'm sure if I watched it I'd love it - and furthermore I'm sure he would have the tact to keep the sad parts of the movie secondary to the highpoints - but I was trying to express an exhaustion with hopeless/moral-based movies, not so much a prediction of what the film would be.

That said, I assumed that the horse would die in the final battle or something - knowing S.S. however, the final scene of the film will probably be a saffron sunset over a green field back home with the horse running around serenely. All of this said, I don't have the heart to watch another movie with great lows just now.

Reptiloid:
"I'm as guilty as any other critic of being reflexively resistant to sentimental and emotional manipulation."

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, oh Bob... you really crack me up. That was the funniest joke I've ever heard from you. I really hope it was a joke though.

You haven't forgotten the cheap exploits of Toy Story 3 already? You know, the ones you totally fell for.

...along with everyone else, which is the same point he's making about War Horse. I don't remember many, in fact, any people calling out Toy Story 3 for "cheap exploits". True as it may be, it was still affecting. So I guess War Horse is another one of those.

There's a reason why cliche's become cliche's... because they worked; and in the right hands (Spielberg being just about the rightest hands around) they will always work.

wwmcfar:

TaboriHK:

Yes, because nobody in show business has ever made a comment on the human cost of war before. Oh no wait, they have, quite a lot actually...

In the face of the hundreds, possibly thousands, of war is hell tales that focus almost exclusively on people, is it so wrong to make just one that instead chooses to tell it from the perspective of the other creatures we drag into our conflicts?

I'm not so sentimental about animals that I will put them before people, but your argument lacks context. If you want to hear about just how cruel and stupid the First World War was to people like you and me, watch My Boy Jack, All Quiet on the Western Front, Blackadder Goes Forth, or any documentary about the real examples of cruelty and stupidity in WWI that has ever been made. Any of those will do fine.

Mr.Tea:
Awww... With it opening on a Tuesday, I really hoped this video would be about The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

That film was made years ago. :P I'd say an adaptation is more worthy of reviewing than just another watered down remake of a much grittier foreign film (and novel).

And besides, it's his show, he gets to call the shots as to what he reviews when it comes down to it, really.

Hmm...I don't usually like this sort of thing, but Avatar (the cartoon series, not the movie) proved it could be done well with the episode "Appa's Lost Days", so I'll give this the benefit of the doubt.

I rarely cry during movies. I'm not an animal person and I don't get hit too hard by animal movie tearjerkers.

But within two seconds of seeing the trailer, I knew this movie was going to make me cry. Incessantly. Fuck, I teared up before the trailer ended. I almost started crying during the REVIEW.

What the fuck? Is anyone else in this predicament? I'm scared to go see it now.

Pedro The Hutt:

Mr.Tea:
Awww... With it opening on a Tuesday, I really hoped this video would be about The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

That film was made years ago. :P I'd say an adaptation is more worthy of reviewing than just another watered down remake of a much grittier foreign film (and novel).

And besides, it's his show, he gets to call the shots as to what he reviews when it comes down to it, really.

Obviously you haven't watched, or don't recall, this episode of Escape to the Movies... It seemed like Bob was very much looking forward to know how it turned out.

Besides, and with respect, it's not a remake of another movie, it's another adaptation of the book. Have you even seen it or are you just defaulting to "Hollywood ruins good things"? While that certainly happens, it's not all-encompassing and that generalization is just as bad as dismissing foreign films for being weird or some such.

I thought the new one was great and, considering some of Bob's past comments, hope to hear his thoughts on it. As for the Swedish version, I recorded it 2 days ago in all of its subtitled goodness, I'm sure I'll enjoy it as well and I will then be qualified to remark upon the new one's worth.

I was ready to hear that this wasn't good, especially not being a huge fan of Speilsberg.
I'll have to consider it and may get dragged into going.

While I won't begrudge anyone having seen this, nor will I argue that it probably is a decent film I still can't see myself really enjoying this.

The first thing I thought when I saw the trailer was "Oh Good another entry in the seemingly endless string of "Super Horse" movies."

Just got back from the theater, all I have to say is this review nailed it.
The tone of this movie is right out of the 50's/60s movies, that just had a pure heart about them.
No movie today really does this.
It just has a good, chicken soap for the soul vibe that will either greatly please or annoy.
I think your opinion on this film all comes down to a line from it,"Its just a horse, not a dog"
If you are able to emotionally connect to the horse like many movies do with dogs(like Marly & me), you will love this movie.
But if you are a person that would say, "its just a horse" then you will hate it.

All I have to say is I'm from Kentucky, and I took my mom to see it as a Christmas present,
she balled several times
I felt emotionally at ease ,and that it was even worth the extra 5$ per ticket for the reserved luxury seats.

RTR:
There's jokes to be made here about how FiM fans will react to this, but I'm not going to (I can't think of anything).
Hopefully, this means Dragon Tattoo will be the new year's show.

Anyway, Happy Holidays, everybody!

Well as a Brony, I saw draft that horse into Celestia's Royal Guards. Clearly has the stones for it.

This looks like a good old timey movie, might check it out on cheap Tuesday.

Lex Darko:

The Gentleman:
I'll take Bob's word that it is a good movie, but given that I despise animal-driven narratives, especially ones that under any other director would be classified as Oscar-bait, I'll probably pass on this one.

OMG this. So much this. I couldn't find the words to describe what I wanted to express without being unjustifiably negative.

So, thank you sir and have a good day.

heh, I was spewing that exact sentiment all the way to the theatre when my parents demanded that I take my younger brother to see it, but it's actually pretty good, especially for an animal-driven narrative.

Still didn't end up giving a shit about the horse (despite some characters in the film apparently valuing the horse's life over human lives), but the movie is pretty excellently made and there's a hella awesome charge-through-No-Man's-Land scene (British soldiers, not the horse). Most of the side stories were well done too. Basically, it has enough good stuff going on in the background to make up for the "boy and horse get separated and then reunite" main plot.

Finally, something that isn't sarcastic or ironic on the horizon! Yes, investing yourself in the fate and wellbeing of a horse in one of the most horrific wars mankind has had is a bit loopy on paper, but I think the subject of human suffering during the Great War is... Well covered, to say the least.

All things considered, I think it's refreshing that we lend a thought to all the animals we've dragged with us into manmade hell throughout history, espescially considering that I've been conditioned by mediocre fantasy and tireless World of Warcraft aether-mounts to reguard them as soulless automatons, ment to get people from point A to B. Possibly also stand on its hind legs and neigh dramatically for a heroic moment. Humans dying in stupid wars is an awful thing, but it's very well covered. Animals being dragged into concepts they can't even understand by the thumbies is rather covered as well, but usually not very well.
Furthermore, I haven't had a good, whimpering cry in a good while, now. Last time was the London National Theatre's Frankenstein, and honestly... There's nothing quite like sobbing in a seated theatre while failing to pretend you're not.

I honestly don't see why it's such a transgression to attempt to tug a few heartstrings. Well, alright, it's irritating when it all falls flat because it's poorly executed or just cramed into something that doesn't warrant it. But for War Horse and the like (All together now; Toy Story 3!) I don't really see the problem. You know full well what you're getting in to, you know you will be asked to sympathise for something or other at some point. And honestly, at this current moment in pop culture where we are all too jaded and detached to fall for their pathetic attempts at evoking our feelings, that is very welcome indeed. Nothing to hide, just a cute horse that's miserable and lots of people dying.

"Oh, for heaven's sake, someone just give the poor thing a bleedin' apple already!" D:

The Cheezy One:

BakedZnake:

...What? Are you being sarcastic? Germany did have tanks in WW1.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:World_War_I_tanks_of_Germany

But you listed a bunch of tanks which were most of them prototypes and none were operational before the end of the war. And most of them look quite funky, straight of a steam-punk story

Looks like War House isn't going to be shown till mid-late January in the UK :(

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or