The Big Picture: The Simpsons Is Still Funny, Part 2

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The Simpsons Is Still Funny, Part 2

Everyone's favorite TV family is still funny.

Watch Video

First time I got sick of the Simpsons was during the 11th rerun of the same 3 early seasons. Watching actual TV is actually terrible

I don't know if Simpsons are still funny, but they're still entertaining, because it's new episodes. That I choose to watch via the herein-discussed internet, instead of hoping what I catch on TV isn't a rerun of Sideshow Bob's 2nd attempted Bart-murder. Ugh.

5ilver:
9/11?
Really?

What is so "really?" about it, 9/11 was undoubtedly the last time America was unified, as opposed to everyone hating everyone else for liking this or that politician, pretty much everyone is in agreement on this, so I don't see where you're confused by it

your favorite simpsons episode was written by the guy who made futurama with matt groening.

you should talk some time about the relationship between the two shows and the incredibly smart writers that were involved in both.

The latter episodes lack the well-written narrative and wit of the former. It seems that the writers are embracing cheap gags and Family Guy inspired humor. The Simpsons had a fantastic run, but I would like to see them go out with a bang rather than linger.

Sorry Bob, I'm still not convinced. But then again I guess it's not really about convincing people, just ideas. You can never convince someone to find a piece of entertainment good or bad if they already have a well formed opinion themselves. It's all subjective. It's about your own experience with something. Someone can change their mind about something drastically, but that doesn't happen because someone explained to them why they were wrong through a powerpoint presentation. It's because they took an opportunity to see something from a different perspective themselves.

I'm not saying the episode was bad, on the contrary it was great as always, I just wan't convinced by the statements. Although I did like the bit about how the internet has fragmented pop culture instead of unifying it. I've never thought about that before but it makes sense.

Oh Bob, you so troll, we all know Ponies are better than Adventure Time :p

But yeah, good episode, even if I don't watch the Simpsons.

I waver about Bob's stuff sometimes, mainly because not all of it is of all that much interest to me, and when he gets into his special interests, he REALLY gets into them, and those are the things I usually have the least interest in.

These two videos, however, are not only the best commentary on the Simpsons I've ever seen, but probably the best of Bob's work here. Just a fantastically well thought out and knowledgeable speech about a show that deserves the effort given it here.

I applaud your effort! Well done!

Despite listing some of what are considered "classic" episodes, I'm still not sure why the first two seasons are emphasized in relation to now.

Personally I found the first few seasons completely different beasts to what I'd consider the best of the Simpsons (3ish-9or10ish... I know, vague) and actually don't care for them much.

Still the theory of times changing also changing the Simpsons is a good one yet I'm still in crowd who feels it has made it worse.

Either way, it's been a interesting set of The Big Picture. Kudos.

Adventure Time is infinitely better than MLP. First thing I've agreed with you about in this two part series. That and Last Exit to Springfield. Excellent episode.

I also don't think that it's subjective. Interviews with Groening have shown that he doesn't care as much (going as far as to disown certain episodes and remove his name from the opening credits). The plots frequently meander, trying to shoehorn irrelevant guest stars in. The animation has become wooden in favor of a "HD" effect. The Network obviously doesn't care, as evidenced by the near-firing of the voice cast.

It's not a decline in quality, it's an utter stagnation. Nothing is moving in any direction.

Bob, the people who like FiM on here would just like to say that we still love you :) It would be pretty cool if you were to do an episode on MLP and the brony fanbase, but it can only really go one way (you being fine with it), since the other way would be seen as trolling to all us bronies.

Oh boy, you just open a can of worms about Adventure Time and MLP:FiM (yes he didn't say he hated MLP:FiM but saying Adventure Time is the superior/ prefered one of the two shows may bring about a upcoming flame war).

5ilver:
9/11?
Really?

Really. What else did nearly everyone watch and do they share as a common (television) experience? Sure, plenty of people watch crap like American Idol or Jersey Shore or whatever, but it's still usually nothing compared to back when there weren't hundreds of channels plus the Internet to choose from. With things available on DVD or streaming or however else you feel like watching them delayed by some arbitrarily long amount of time, there's even a disconnect among the people who do watch them.

Instead of having to watch TV shows and movies right when they air or when they're in the theaters or be doomed to miss them, possibly forever, which ensured everyone watched them at the same time and was talking about them at the same time, you can watch them whenever you want and may have a different experience in a different context from other people (e.g. I tend to wait for seasons or even complete series to end and find out if they're any good and then watch them all at once, sometimes years later).

It's nothing like it was in the past, in several ways, for better or worse.

Ron Paul is not "fringe". He is the only republican that isn't an insane raving lunatic.

http://rt.com/usa/news/ron-paul-iowa-latest-175/

JaceArveduin:
Oh Bob, you so troll, we all know Ponies are better than Adventure Time :p

I second this. Never got Adventure Time myself. I mean, it's not bad, I just never got into it. But, to each his own I guess.

Awesome episode as always, Bob. Also, I completely agree that Adventure Time>FiM.

Must... love... and tolerate. Failing to see.. past... own opinions.
*twitch*
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
/joke

In all seriousness we Bronies still love ya.
*begin trollface* Even if you are wrong *end trollface*

As for the actual subject matter. The cultural impact of The Simpsons has never really sunk in for me. This is probably because my childhood was during the late 90's and early 2000's when the height of The Simpsons' popularity died down. So for pretty much most of my entire life I always view it as a pretty funny show as apposed to pop-culture powerhouse.

Oh boy, Adventure Time vs My Little Pony... IMO, both are awesome, but I just find FIM just a little more enjoyable.

Heh, my literature teacher gave us an assignment about Edgar Allan Poe and she even mentioned it was superbly parodied in The Simpsons and I couldn't agree more. I see your points Bob, the world has changed, not The Simpsons and although it doesn't have the same standards or the same appeal as before, it's still one of the better things on TV right now.

Bingo, Bob.

This is why I don't find The Simpsons funny anymore; It's like an old man who used to be funny and who can now only make a lot of noise in order to try and compete with the new generation of humour.

I don't care what anyone says, Adventure Time, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and Regular Show all have a special place in my heart, along with some outliers like Phineas and Ferb and The Amazing World of Gumball. I just love them for how awesomely absurd and weird they are, it's a style I haven't seen in a long time. All of these have quality animation, quality writing, and quality everything else pretty much. They really are much better than they have any business being. The way I see it, I think there's been a revival to the cartoon genre thanks to these shows as they all bring me back to the days where I'd get up for Saturday morning cartoons. I think you'd be able to do an episode on that whole concept of the Saturday cartoon dieing off until this started, but then again this is probably nostalgia talking.

Speaking of nostalgia, that's really the only reason why I watch the Simpsons anymore. It still makes me laugh occasionally, and it's nice to keep up with it and have something stay consistent in our lives. I do agree that it's more everyone else changing rather than the show, but the characters have also changed either for better or worse. Flanders is an obvious example. Regardless, it will be a sad day in television history when The Simpsons is eventually canceled. Few shows will ever live up to it.

Hey! Guys! Yes, you too!

Keep it to sarcasm n good natured fun!

Gotta say your spot on with your observation, the internet the hundreds of networks has changed how we see entertainment and the Simpsons had to change with the times, now if they did a good job of that is up to personal opinions but it had to be done.

Your last episode didn't really work out, but this one... I can kinda see your point this time.

In before some person commenting that MLP is mentioned in the video and/or the comments and claiming it means that "teh ponez r takking over teh interwebs"

O.T: Eh, I never even found the Simpsons to be that funny to begin with. Much prefered Futurama.

the spud:
Awesome episode as always, Bob. Also, I completely agree that Adventure Time>FiM.

Mate put that away. Ya wont need it :) TBH, nobody in the brony community community cares if moviebob prefers Adventure Time, we just like it that he doesn't hate FiM.

You're right about the show having to change with the times, but that change is exactly why I (and a lot of others I'm sure) don't like it as much anymore. It did become less universal and less relatable, and in doing so, it became less fun to watch. The Simpsons still isn't a bad show, it's simply not the same show I fell in love with years ago.

Also, yes, Adventure Time is the better show. We can agree on that.

I didn't really think there was much more Bob could say on this subject after last week, but I'm happy to have been wrong about that.

Kudos for a very original, well thought out analysis.

Jumplion:
I don't care what anyone says, Adventure Time, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and Regular Show all have a special place in my heart, along with some outliers like Phineas and Ferb and The Amazing World of Gumball. I just love them for how awesomely absurd and weird they are, it's a style I haven't seen in a long time. All of these have quality animation, quality writing, and quality everything else pretty much. They really are much better than they have any business being. The way I see it, I think there's been a revival to the cartoon genre thanks to these shows as they all bring me back to the days where I'd get up for Saturday morning cartoons. I think you'd be able to do an episode on that whole concept of the Saturday cartoon dieing off until this started, but then again this is probably nostalgia talking.

Speaking of nostalgia, that's really the only reason why I watch the Simpsons anymore. It still makes me laugh occasionally, and it's nice to keep up with it and have something stay consistent in our lives. I do agree that it's more everyone else changing rather than the show, but the characters have also changed either for better or worse. Flanders is an obvious example. Regardless, it will be a sad day in television history when The Simpsons is eventually canceled. Few shows will ever live up to it.

You sir just won the internet, what are you going to do now?

BTW: no mention to "Marge vs the Monorail"? Considered by critics and fans alike to be one of the funniest episodes of all time? Even as a special mention in the credits?

Did anyone watch that Christmas episode this year? One of the best episodes of the recent seasons in my opinion.

I had a discussion like this with my friend who still likes spongebob. Basically I said that everything needs to die at some point. When something is created it often needs a purpose or fulfill a desire however trite or small it may be. When it has met that goal and expanded upon all the options that gave that show or story the spark to exist and be loved by it's audience it now has to take it's leave.

Though as a fan it's hard to hear this but it's simply the truth. You can't let something exist for it's own sake. When it exists just to be there you encourage stagnation. It no longer is a product with a heart it's just an object that's there to be observed. As result of letting a Zombie show persist, other creators are encouraged to mimic that show so they too can gain some form of immortality which causes both shows that are worse and succeed or shows that are terrible both of which weaken the medium's ability to create new and different things that have no intention of being Zombies.

The Simpsons needs to die so that someone else may live.

ToastiestZombie:

the spud:

Mate put that away. Ya wont need it :) TBH, nobody in the brony community community cares if moviebob prefers Adventure Time, we just like it that he doesn't hate FiM.

Yeah, I know, it just makes me feel secure having it around, for protection. It gives me peace of mind.

I came into the Simpsons in the 2000's so I missed the golden years. Nevertheless, I still go to that show more often than not. Remember that No Right Answer video on Futurama vs Simpsons? I side with Futurama but the Simpsons is still quality stuff from time to time.

the spud:

ToastiestZombie:

the spud:

Yeah, I know, it just makes me feel secure having it around, for protection. It gives me peace of mind.

*Looks at armoury of ten guns, five grenades and a rocket launcher.*

Yeh, I know what you mean!

I uttered that The American Idol was the closest thing that US had to a mass tv show, cultural thing. I'm guessing now that not even this show survived the fragmentation era we live in.

My main problem with the recent Simpsons seasons are the celebrity episodes. Every time a character breathlessly yells the celebrity's name my enjoyment of the episode dies. It's like the show and the celebrity are just stroking each other's egos for that entire scene or episode. It's honestly agonizing, part of why I not just avoid any episode that is billed with some celebrity.

Also, I really do love a steamed ham.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or