Miracle of Sound: Beauty Bleak (Fallout)

Beauty Bleak (Fallout)

A bonus song from the archive to hold you over for the holidays.

Watch Video

Already heard it, but still nice :)

Also, they really need to work on getting new videos on the front page faster.

Wow, color me impressed. Only thing I would change is to lose the captions on the video (or at least change the font and opacity to make them less tacky). But it was such a pleasant detour from your normal style, I'm definitely going to overlook that little bit. Great job keeping things fresh and interesting (and really capturing the feel of the scenery).

Someone get me a cloak and a rocky outcropping and a sunset. I feel a sudden need to dramatically overlook something in the moments before the gloaming fully takes hold.

Well... that's was different. I guess i liked it, but it feels like something is amiss. I dunno what. Maybe if song would be longer, like 10 minutes long, and has some life in it? I know it's all about the game, but even in that devastated world, there still was life in it.

I really like this one and already purchased it. I enjoy this style of music and I find myself putting this on in the background while I'm doing other things online. I kind of wish you had more of these.

And to the Escapist staff, the new layout really sucks for finding the various video series you have. Honestly, I come here for the videos first, and the news a distant second. Your news is not unique to your site. Your videos are.

I'm finding myself visiting the site less and less now, and just linking directly into the videos from twitter accounts by the creators and from my bookmarks, just to avoid this mess of a redesign. If your goal was to force me to "look" at your news features, it's failed in that respect as I've learned to bypass your front page all together.

I like. Reminds me of how much I enjoy Fallout 3 over New Vegas.

As usual, i clicked it without even reading the title hoping that no matter what i'll like it. As usual i wasn't wrong. Good job.

BTW : At first i thought "Resident Evil ? Is that a song about Good old Racoon City ?". ;)

This song could use very strong guitar chord at the very end.

Interplay is listed as the publisher, but most, if not all of the video footage is from the Bethesda games, which were made after Interplay was shut down.
I know that Fallout was originally made by Interplay, but I think Bethesda deserves credit since that's where the footage came from.

Other than that, great song. I really like the piano so this was a real treat.

I'm not so sure about this one. At the start I was thinking "Wow, this is a great intro!" but then it didn't really go anywhere from there and just stayed like that, which left me a little disappointed.

I'm still a huge fan though :)

Already heard this song and already a fan, which is unavoidable since I buy every song of yours from iTunes the moment it's available.

Just as brilliant as ever, I'd love to hear a few more tracks like this one. As usual you managed the capture the very essence of the game you set out to portray. Bravo my good man, bravo indeed.

Also, off topic but what the hey... the version of Sovngarde Song that is available on iTunes seems to be a different version to the one that featured on the Escapist. There are some... added sections. To be brutally honest, I preferred the original Escapist version, the additions now feel like unnecessary padding to me. Any chance of being able to purchase the original track as well?

Pretty good, and would I be correct to believe this is from FO3? I haven't played it, but there was a spot or two where I wasn't quite sure it wasn't NV XD (Main thing was the power lines, I knew those don't belong in NV)

This sounds like something The Alan Parsons Project would have done. In my book, that means this song is awesome. Great work!

Though, I feel it might have a little better if it was just an instrumental, without the singing; while the singing was excellent, the song screamed "INSTRUMENTAL!" in it's great opening and Alan Parsons feel, and would have been all the better an instrumental.

Wow! Made me feel like when I was six and heard songs by The Doors, Pink Floyd and David Bowie for the first time. Strange but pleasant.

That was different than what i'm used to expecting. Still liked it. You really need to work on that one problem of songs getting stuck in your listeners heads though, I've had three of your songs on a cycle in my brain allllll day. (Sarcasm of course if it must be said)

-The Bioshock, Arkham Asylum, and Deus Ex songs have been making me go crazy today.

meganmeave:

And to the Escapist staff, the new layout really sucks for finding the various video series you have. Honestly, I come here for the videos first, and the news a distant second. Your news is not unique to your site. Your videos are.

Why are people having any sorts of problems at all? It's front and centre right under the big layout. There are three things side by side, Miracle of sound in the middle. extra punctuation to the right.

And failing that, click on VIDEOS on top, then click on miracle of sounds 6 down from the top.

Why are people having problems with this?

This one is really cool, it kinda of reminds me of a mellow Pink Floyd song from Dark Side of the Moon in a way, and that's probably because of the way the vocals were done.

I really liked how you mixed the vocals together at the end, it fits how the world of Fallout is.

Akalabeth:

meganmeave:

Why are people having any sorts of problems at all? It's front and centre right under the big layout. There are three things side by side, Miracle of sound in the middle. extra punctuation to the right.

And failing that, click on VIDEOS on top, then click on miracle of sounds 6 down from the top.

It's not a problem, just a minor nuisance.

Anyway, on the topic of the song, while it's great for the mood of Fallout 3, I can't help but feel disappointed. The game had a magic that music can't really replicate: a sense of familiarity in the destroyed environment. The song matched the emptiness of the game perfectly, but emptiness isn't what made the game great.

Really love this one.
The lyrics are few but appropriate and have impact. It's atmospheric, thick, Fallout, and really chill/ing (Both eerie and relaxing).

I'd like to hear more like this if you come across the game to inspire it.

(edit: I don't like my use of the word 'but' up there, I don't mean to imply few lyrics is a detraction off set by other factors. I think it's part of their impact.)

Always liked this song, seems depressing and hopeful at the same time.
Considering the contrast between this and, say, The Grind, just makes it all the more impressive. 'Bout time it's on the Escapist, though!

Looks and sounds very Blade Runner-y, especially in the broken steel parts. But it works as a nice change of pace from previous songs.

Bought it weeks ago. Nice to see it on the Escapist now; the video is pretty much what I imagined when I first listened to the track. Great song for relaxing.

Avaholic03:
Wow, color me impressed. Only thing I would change is to lose the captions on the video (or at least change the font and opacity to make them less tacky).

This vid is from my Youtube page and done (rather amateurishly) by myself as I was taking a break from new music this week... but don't worry we'll be back to Justin's much cooler vids next fortnight :)

NinjaDeathSlap:
I'm not so sure about this one. At the start I was thinking "Wow, this is a great intro!" but then it didn't really go anywhere from there and just stayed like that, which left me a little disappointed.

The thing about this song was, it kinda wasn't meant to go anywhere.

Think of it like subtle background atmosphere music - it was just meant to gently imply the mood of Fallout, as opposed to my usual songs which are more direct and descriptive. :)

217not237:

The song matched the emptiness of the game perfectly, but emptiness isn't what made the game great.

I liked the emptiness, and that's what I was trying to capture :)

My other Fallout song is the one about the more lively aspects:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/miracle-of-sound/3535-Wasteland-Soul-Fallout-3

Perfect as is. No need to drag it on, add effects or other instruments. For this type of song, all is where it should.

Was pretty decent, though . . . I think for this kind of song it might make more sense to give it a greater length. Well, that's just convention but I find a lot of these ambient electronic songs tend to be 5-8 minutes in length. Though a longer song doesn't necessarily = higher quality.

I would actually love to see an electronica or trance song from MoS, something along the lines of some of the stuff Juno Reactor has done. Not sure if that's a genre that interests him.

Incidentally, can't wait for New Vegas gold edition!

Loved it so much I brought the Album :)

You're consistently the best thing on the Escapist - Hope you have a great new year and we see more awesomeness in 2012.

Akalabeth:

meganmeave:

You must not have the new layout. That sounds like the old one. On the new layout neither ZP nor MoS are up near the top.

Akalabeth:

I would actually love to see an electronica or trance song from MoS, something along the lines of some of the stuff Juno Reactor has done. Not sure if that's a genre that interests him.

That could definitely be arranged. Electro stuff is probably the easiest to make out of any genre to be honest. Pulse beat, program some synth squiggles and away you go, haha

ascorbius:
Loved it so much I brought the Album :)

You're consistently the best thing on the Escapist - Hope you have a great new year and we see more awesomeness in 2012.

Thank you :) And a happy new year to you too :)

meganmeave:

Akalabeth:

meganmeave:

You must not have the new layout. That sounds like the old one. On the new layout neither ZP nor MoS are up near the top.

I got the new layout. They're not at the top, but they are on the front page when you open the website. There's one big feature (currently a movie review), then beside that there's 3 articles then underneath there's a scrolling news link. Then another article and then right under that there are the three featured videos where miracle of sound was for a while.

And if it's not there you can just click on VIDEOS at the top and click on miracle of sound or ZP or whatnot.

Either way when I open it up on the day, or usually the day after too, it's there. I just click and there ya go. I had more problems on the old website actually when I was looking for old vids.

MiracleOfSound:

Akalabeth:

That could definitely be arranged. Electro stuff is probably the easiest to make out of any genre to be honest. Pulse beat, program some synth squiggles and away you go, haha

Well, I don't mean the boring super repetitive stuff. They have a few songs where they integrate some vocals and make it more interesting. Though that being said I would just expect you to do what appeals to you and/or what fits the game.

Akalabeth:

Well, I don't mean the boring super repetitive stuff. They have a few songs where they integrate some vocals and make it more interesting. Though that being said I would just expect you to do what appeals to you and/or what fits the game.

Have you heard Wheatley's Song? Not quite electro but definitely influenced by it!

MiracleOfSound:

Akalabeth:

Have you heard Wheatley's Song? Not quite electro but definitely influenced by it!

Oh yeah, I've listened to all of your songs on here at least 3 times. Will probably pick up that new CD at some point. Wheatley's song isn't one of my favourites, but it's well done. A friend of mine who isn't too much of a gamer (beyond dota) but played through Portal 2 with her boyfriend liked the song a lot.

Bought the album, Level 1, on which this wonderful track appears on

beautiful work Gav!

Loved this song when it was on YouTube.
Loved this song when I found out it was on Level 1.
Loved this song when it gets it's own week on the Escapist.

I just love this song. It's a painful toss up between this and Wasteland Soul for my favourite song you've ever done.

Probably my favourite song thus far, ambianty and atmospheric. Reminds me some of the songs from Brian Eno, Lustmord and Robert Rich. Wonder if there would be any more like it in the future, sure would be great if there would.

Gavin, I just wanted to let you know that this is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. After I listened the first time, I played it over and over for hours; I just couldn't get it out of my head! Haunting and yearning and beautiful. Thank you for composing it!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here