GinxTV: Ginx Spin: Rage - Guide to Post-Apocalyptic Obsession

Ginx Spin: Rage - Guide to Post-Apocalyptic Obsession

Ginx takes a look at id Software's Rage and the genre of post-apocalyptia.

Watch Video

I think the appeal of post-apocalyptia is more related to the utter lack of meaning that many of us find in our lives. We, in the west certainly, live in a decadent and inherently luxurious world where even those of us who are worst off, are still doing somewhat well. In a post-apocalyptic world we have the option to create a world where we are king, where our actions actually mean something.

Day in and day out, as one amongst billions, possessing no great ability or talent, I don't matter except to a shockingly small number of people. In that world, I can make myself matter. You know the script in a game, eventually the things that you do will count for something. In the real world, I could do everything right, work my tail off and take advantage of every natural apptitude that I have and still fall short of memorable action. I guess this is an inherently escapist argument, but one that resonates with me.

I think the other side is a profound wish for a type of reset. Things now are so stratified with such accumulation of wealth and property in the hands of the relatively few. I think many of us think that given a fair start with everyone else, we'd end up near the top; because many of us feel we did not get a fair start.

MMMM yes and no. Rage's story, narrative, and characters fuck up the whole game. You see, the setting is so bland and pointless it's not even funny. The real problem with rage is, it's a 7-year old story, with 2011 gameplay and graphics, so it controls and plays really well, but the story is absolute shitte.

easternflame:
The real problem with rage is, it's a 7-year old story, with 2011 gameplay and graphics, so it controls and plays really well, but the story is absolute shitte.

The "7-year old story" part doesn't really make sense. Stories don't age. Iliad is over 2000 years old and still good.

Don Reba:

easternflame:
The real problem with rage is, it's a 7-year old story, with 2011 gameplay and graphics, so it controls and plays really well, but the story is absolute shitte.

The "7-year old story" part doesn't really make sense. Stories don't age. Iliad is over 2000 years old and still good.

Yeah, but consider this, RAGE's story is mediocre at best, 7 years ago, it would've passed as a mediocre story with action, Now, it's unacceptable.

I'm liking the idea of post-post apocalypse, where we are already somewhat rebuild again but large amounts of territory are still fucked up.

here's another idea, you see how you always seem to fight a more advanced organisation or military in post-apocalyptic games?
you have to overthrow or liberate them, always, and what then?
you must organise the survivors of course, start building a society or oganisation to protect and sustain in order to survive, oh wait, that's exactly what you destroyed already.

I'd like to see a game where you are part of a more established post apoc organisation, beset not only by mutants and bandits, but also rebels and self-proclaimed "liberators" who threaten the people you serve.
it could create some interesting moral scenarios wherein you must choose how to deal with these defectors, do you agree and let the poor man go, capture your fellows alive and try to have them see things your way or shoot the traitors?

you'd also spend time with these "face-less goons", see who they are in their off-time when they take their helmets off.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here