The Big Picture: MovieBob's 2011 Top Ten

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Tipsy Giant:
can anyone recommend some good movies?
maybe your top 10s of the year?
I've been out of the loop, haven't been to the cinema once this year.
I can recommend anything else in return, esp music!

Drive. I seriously cannot stress this enough. Probably the best movie in over a decade. Just don't expect an action movie, like most of the people who hated it.

SteelStallion:
Attack the Block is the absolute, shittiest, most horrendous, boring piece of fucking garbage I've ever watched in my whole life.

Care to elaborate your dislike beyond meaningless insults?

I still don't get the praise thrown at Captain America, am I missing something here? The first part of the movie, the whole origin, oldy-worldly part I admit is pretty good. But the moment the film got into the action, it tripped over it's own shoelaces and didn't get back up. Stupid story, stupid villains, stupid characters, stupid effects, stupid everything. Yet another birthday cinema trip wasted.

I've seen 8/10 movies. Maybe I'll check the other two out now.

Casual Shinji:
X-Men: First Class is actually among my worst movies of the year.

The majority of scenes are so cheaply shot it feels like your watching Chuck, all the CGI except for Beast's feet look like shit, and starting the movie with a German Kevin Bacon talking about chocolate in what was obviously supposed to be a highly dramatic scene crippled the movie for me before it was even out of the gate.

Really? Him offering chocolate to the boy in what is clearly a malicious, horrific and threatening gesture thinly disguised as kindness, followed by him brutally executing Magneto's mother in front of him was what ruined it for you?

The chocolate?

Oh man, I've heard some pretty wide ranging reasons to dislike the new X-Men film (some understandable even), but this is probably the most ridiculous and out there thing I've heard in a while, especially since it seems like you're actually seriously blaming the movie for what is, no question, your own shortcoming.

Duffeknol:
Bob, I think you're a great reviewer and I value your opinions... on anything BUT superhero movies. Seriously. You are so incredibly biased towards them it's actually starting to bug me.

Maybe you should watch the green lanturn review again?
Also, nerds will be nerds.

Agreed on everything except Captain America and Hanna, for the same reason for both: lifeless, by-the-numbers action scenes. Particularly unforgivable in an ostensible action-thriller like Hanna, but writing off the crux of the action in Captain America as a musical montage was also extremely disappointing. Still, the performances and the beginning were decent enough that I'd still recommend the Captain to a friend, just not put it in the top ten.

Hanna, however, I just thought was too poorly-paced and chock full of tired tropes to recommend to anybody. Sorry dude replacing the lead with a little girl but keeping every other goddamn trope in the Escaped Super-Soldier Sought by the US Government who Just Wants to ~~~Feel~~~ handbook intact was not compelling.

My top 5 movies for the year in no particular order (because I like to pretend people care)

Cars 2, Winnie the Pooh, Captain America, Real Steel and The Muppets.

Opinions are opinions for a reason. I'm sure a lot of people would disagree with this list. If I gave my top 5 games of 2011, people would probably try to tear me a new one just because Skyrim isn't on it.

Earlier someone basically said that any Top X of the Year basically boils down to professional flamebait...and they're correct.

Zaul2010:

Duffeknol:
Bob, I think you're a great reviewer and I value your opinions... on anything BUT superhero movies. Seriously. You are so incredibly biased towards them it's actually starting to bug me.

Maybe you should watch the green lanturn review again?
Also, nerds will be nerds.

Yeah, on which he had to go on about for two whole episodes. I know superheroes are pretty much his thing, but I'm kind of fed up.

I really enjoyed The Fountain and 2001: A Space Odyssey, so I'll check out Tree of Life.

next week is batman and prometheus in the top spots i bet

"Super"?!!? REAALLY!?!?!? >_<

Anyhoo, I digress. Films you're most looking forward to? Hrmmm, Immagunna hazard a guess...."John Carter" mayhaps? :P

I mean, aside from the fact that "Avengers" is obviously on that list. Carter looks like it's got the potential to be pretty top-notch. Or so I think.

TownTattle:

SteelStallion:
Attack the Block is the absolute, shittiest, most horrendous, boring piece of fucking garbage I've ever watched in my whole life.

And start a meaningless argument? Not really. I'll bite though. I just found the movie terrible in all regards. The acting was abysmal, he called it a comedy, it wasn't funny in the slightest. The accents were really annoying and the only thing I could think of while watching the movie was that the protagonist kids are really similar to the twerps that scream over Xbox Live.

The only thing remotely likable were the aliens, they looked sort of cool. That's it. There was no redeeming quality in that movie for me. Me and my friend were just laughing the whole way through at how bad the whole thing was.

So I guess in the end it was still, in a different sort of way, an enjoyable time spent with a friend. The movie was crud though.

I'm not going to actually rate all of the movies I saw this year because I missed some that I really wanted to see but I enjoyed:

=X-Men: First Class
-Captain America
-Thor
-HARRY POTTER
-Sucker Punch (yeah whatever I got what I expected out of it)

The one's I want to see:
-Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
=Drive
-Hanna

I'm surprised you didn't included Harry Potter 7 part 2 on this list, I mean, you wrote a whole article saying it should win best picture and now you don't even mention it?

Eh, I gave The Tree of Life a shot, but it was way too slow of a burn and my family I just stopped watching it in the first 30 minutes. I have nothing against those art house kind of films or whatever, but I'm not too much of a fan of them either. If they want to go on about the meaning of life and whatnot, there are much less esoteric and effective ways to do so than random visuals and jump cuts (seriously, I just couldn't get over those jump cuts). Any sort of movie that tries to do what The Tree of Life does will always come off as trying too hard for many people, and to me just felt like Oscar-bait/critic-bait. What I'd like to see is something as (supposedly) deep and philosophical as The Tree of Life but done in a much more approachable way and less artsy-fartsy. So far, I have yet to see any movie that even comes close. It always seems to be on one end or another, either just action or pretentious pretentiousness.

Very interesting list and I enjoyed Bob's viewpoints.

I wasn't a fan of Tree of Life - but it really is a "love it or hate it" movie. I just felt it was heavy-handed thematically when I watched it.

Three films that I would have included were it my list;

Tintin
Melancholia
Senna

But its always good to see what others recommend (I haven't seen Hanna and have been trying to decide if its worth a look or not).

necromanzer52:
Captain America? Seriously? It was an OK film, but it was just so cliche.

My personal film of the year is Drive, followed by Rango.

Rango? really? watched it 3 days ago; the plot was incredibly obvious if you've watched any other movies like it. It was still a good movie though. ^^

Drive was awesome, haven't really watched all the movies of 2011 that are worth watching yet so my top 10 list isn't really done (for instance a dangerous method, which might be good to me since i'm pretty interested in psychology)Other than that i've watched moviebobs top 10 list and well, did not care to much for the superhero movies, i guess bob is a tad biassed. : p

Also looking forward to see what the americans did with the "the girl with the dragon tattoo" movie.

Would definitely put episode 1 of the season 2 of sherlock at my top 10 movies if it was released a day earlier. (it's a series, but the episodes are long enough to be movies. : p)

I'd also like to add this to everyone who yells at Bob or Yahtzee when they don't like something they like:

o·pin·ion   [uh-pin-yuhn
noun
1.a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

Duffeknol:
Bob, I think you're a great reviewer and I value your opinions... on anything BUT superhero movies. Seriously. You are so incredibly biased towards them it's actually starting to bug me. X-Men First Class was one of the worst movies I've ever seen and Captain America was 100% forgettable. I know there's opinion and all that, but these movies should be in no one's top 10.

Im sorry but comments like yours bug me a lot. He had a different opinion then you. He is no more biased then anyone else towards a genre they like. The tone of your comment reads more of "You are usually good because you agree with me, but i don't agree with you about this so stop having wrong opinions and start thinking like me again." I mean I hated Avatar so much that it hurts but I don't call him biased towards sci fi or that he was wrong. Then that last statement about "I know there's opinion but...." makes it even more frustrating. I can't stand tree of life. I see it as pretentious bull but it honestly is just my opinion. Im not going to say that no one should put it in their top ten. Now once again im sorry for ranting at you but there are like 100 comments on all of the escape to the movies calling his opinion wrong and yours is probably the least frustrating of all of them and i just had to get that off my chest.

SteelStallion:

TownTattle:

SteelStallion:

And start a meaningless argument? Not really. I'll bite though. I just found the movie terrible in all regards. The acting was abysmal, he called it a comedy, it wasn't funny in the slightest. The accents were really annoying and the only thing I could think of while watching the movie was that the protagonist kids are really similar to the twerps that scream over Xbox Live.

The only thing remotely likable were the aliens, they looked sort of cool. That's it. There was no redeeming quality in that movie for me. Me and my friend were just laughing the whole way through at how bad the whole thing was.

So I guess in the end it was still, in a different sort of way, an enjoyable time spent with a friend. The movie was crud though.

"abysmal acting" is a horrible criticism as it usually said by people who just don't like the character or actor (eg. Robert Pattinson). Elaboarate on your acting point, did they fail to convince you that they were inner city kids battling aliens in some way?
I will admit I found the film less comedic than was advertised, most of the jokes I found funny related to my own experiences as a teenager (their phones running out of credit is a particular highlight). There were more obvious jokes like the bit with toy gun that were funny and are more about your own lack of humour.
Now regarding your complaint about the accents, I think your problem with it less to do with their accents and more to do with their use of slang. It's too bad you find it annoying, but that is how many London teenagers speak and the film would be poorer and less realistic without it. It would also make the language of the film bland if they all spoke like white middle class teens, because like Bob said, we have enough of them in films as it is.
Lastly, you clearly don't watch many movies because then you would know that this film is far from it. Transformers, Green Lantern, Shark Night 3D and many others far surpass Attack the Block in terms of bad script, acting and overall quality.

One final question: whereabouts in the world do you live?

I've been ignoring Captain America ever since the decidedly mediocre Thor put me off any more Avengers prequels (lets be honest here), but I keep hearing really good things about Captain America. Maybe I should check it out.

ImSkeletor:

Duffeknol:
Bob, I think you're a great reviewer and I value your opinions... on anything BUT superhero movies. Seriously. You are so incredibly biased towards them it's actually starting to bug me. X-Men First Class was one of the worst movies I've ever seen and Captain America was 100% forgettable. I know there's opinion and all that, but these movies should be in no one's top 10.

Im sorry but comments like yours bug me a lot. He had a different opinion then you. He is no more biased then anyone else towards a genre they like. The tone of your comment reads more of "You are usually good because you agree with me, but i don't agree with you about this so stop having wrong opinions and start thinking like me again." I mean I hated Avatar so much that it hurts but I don't call him biased towards sci fi or that he was wrong. Then that last statement about "I know there's opinion but...." makes it even more frustrating. I can't stand tree of life. I see it as pretentious bull but it honestly is just my opinion. Im not going to say that no one should put it in their top ten. Now once again im sorry for ranting at you but there are like 100 comments on all of the escape to the movies calling his opinion wrong and yours is probably the least frustrating of all of them and i just had to get that off my chest.

THANK YOU. I thought that Avatar was bleh too and so many people told me I was flat out wrong. I'm sorry? Sometimes a movie just isn't your thing and there is nothing wrong with that. I also hate the Twilight series and I will argue that they are absolute shit but I'm not going to tell someone to change their opinion.

All of those movies I'm going to give a look at some point apart from the attack the block because it is full of chavs. The way chavs speak bothers me to the extent that watching it for any length of time past a few minutes always seems to give me a headache so I have no desire to watch a movie where the main characters are chavs with their vocal chords intact.

I have to agree with Captain America. Hands down the most fun I've had at the theaters in a long time. I love retro pop culture, and the film just oozes that old school style of the wartime films and the pulp magazines of the era.

Ahh I'm so happy you reminded me to go watch Super. Rainn Wilson ftw <3

Also a great list except for Capt. America which I found pretty formulaic and boring.

I wasn't planning on ever seeing Tree of Life based on the pretentiousness and convolution I keep hearing about, but I guess I have to give it a chance with such a recommendation.

I agree that Tree of Life was awesome. To the people who say that it has no plot: You didn't watch closely enough. The imagery is amazing and perfectly emphasizes the subtle plot.

All these movies have been on my radar but due to how different UK releases are some of them have not made it to a theatre in a reasonable distance of my home, infact i don't think 5/10 of those films even saw a release at my local cinema. As such im having to wait, like a did from 2010 movies, for them to come to DVD/Bluray.

In many places there has been total domination by a small cluster of films with cinemas either bullied into taking a few stinkers to get a big release or baffling choices to go with a shedual of pretty much rolling shlock or "Date night" movies. Case in point, outside of its release weekend Moneyball was either on at a deadend 1pm on a wednesday or a gaveyeard 11pm on a thursday.

Who the fuck isn't busy on a widweek lunchtime? Who but the most dedicated are able to sit though AN HOUR of adverts, trailers and bullshit ontop of a long run time movie at midnight? I've had to pretty much commute to far away towns to see some movies; the way the release of movies is undertaken is terribly depressing. Again my local cinema had SIX screens dedicated to Twilight. SIX!! The place has 13 screens and they can't find room for many films.

TO NETFLIX! ...which never has anything im looking for...soooo to blockbuster! ...which just closed down D: where am i gonna find all these? Genuine conundrum here.

so Escape to the Movies is occupied by movies, that still doesn't explain why this is here, he has an entire other thing devoted to movies already (Intermission)... not only that but it's not like he has to do a top 10 list... WTF

TownTattle:
snip

No, I didn't read your post. No, I'm not going to. I thought the movie was bad, and you're for some reason butt hurt that I don't like it. Get over it. I didn't like the movie, opinions differ. I really don't see what you were hoping to achieve with that post, after I clearly indicated that I don't want to start a meaningless argument.

Edit: I couldn't help it, I read your post.
Don't personally attack me and my "lack of sense of humor" because I didn't find a bunch of kids firing a water gun at some aliens hysterical like you did. Without having to point the irony in someone who finds that funny undermining my sense of humor, opinions differ and as soon as you start attacking someone on a personal level your argument goes to trash.

Go whine to someone who cares.

I'm hoping to see an episode on The Artist, to have an american opinion on it, instead of the usual french and/or european ones... Maybe with the Oscar Special episode ?

Safaia:
I'd also like to add this to everyone who yells at Bob or Yahtzee when they don't like something they like:

o·pin·ion   [uh-pin-yuhn
noun
1.a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

haha, i love how you went with "text book definition" there. "There is no argueing against the books! They are the final word. You lose. Shhhh" (wish i remembered where that quote comes from but it came to me emdiantly out of some storage closet in my brain xD).

I completely agree :) but even Bob and Yahtzee know that part of having a comment section for your channel is so you can here the audiences opposing opinion. There will always be some yes but when there is a LARGE amount of said comments they have to step back and go "hmm, i should avoid repeating this again as i don't want to lose audience members."

Final thought: These kinds of comments where people get angry because they have differing opinions should not be as prevelent as they are. But do not let them upset you. They are, in part, necessary.

I also really enjoyed Rise of the Planet of Apes and Captain America was pretty solid too.

General Vagueness:
so Escape to the Movies is occupied by movies, that still doesn't explain why this is here, he has an entire other thing devoted to movies already (Intermission)... not only that but it's not like he has to do a top 10 list... WTF

Why do you care and why was this worth a post? Bob does a top 10 every year. It's his show, he can do whatever the hell he wants.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here