The Big P

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The Big P

Easy like Sunday Morning

Read Full Article

People will play horrible games, but they sure won't pay for them.

Clearly the four million people who pirated Witcher 2 had much better taste. Their morality still sucked though

Aren't you guys clever with your witty rhetoric and some other words I'm not fully aware of the meaning of. Was Crysis 2 really so bad as to not warrant 4 million downloads?

Crysis 1 was definitely much better. Crysis 2 was more... confined. And formulaic. And had a very forced plot progression at times. I'd hazard a lot of those 4 million downloads were people just wanting to test their PC out against it.

But, yeah, knowing which regions it was downloaded in makes a huge difference.

I wonder how long it'll take for someone to start arguing about piracy even though it's just been lampshaded to the nth degree? Not fucking long, I bet.

fanklok:
Aren't you guys clever with your witty rhetoric and some other words I'm not fully aware of the meaning of. Was Crysis 2 really so bad as to not warrant 4 million downloads?

...somehow I don't think the guys who made the game will take any solace from the fact that pirates prefer their games to pay customers, buddy.

I'm aware that if a game is pirated 3,000,000 times, it does not equate to 3,000,000 lost sales.

But to say it doesn't have any kind of negative impact on the industry?

Well, that's just daft.

fanklok:

Crisis 2 wasn't as pretty, the maps weren't as well designed, and the AI took a step for the stupid. Oh man, the AI was something else in Crisis 2.

It wasn't perfect in the first game, with enemies occasionally sniping you with a machine gun from a thousand feet away behind a bush because the programmers made it TOO perceptive, but it was generally pretty good. Crisis 2, on the other hand... it was bad.

P.S. Thanks

Covarr:

fanklok:

Crisis 2 wasn't as pretty, the maps weren't as well designed, and the AI took a step for the stupid. Oh man, the AI was something else in Crisis 2.

It wasn't perfect in the first game, with enemies occasionally sniping you with a machine gun from a thousand feet away behind a bush because the programmers made it TOO perceptive, but it was generally pretty good. Crisis 2, on the other hand... it was bad.

P.S. Thanks

Huh... I always thought that smaller, more linear level design would give developers more opportunity to enhance NPCs AI behavior and pathfinding. Say what you want about Crysis but the AI was impressive for the scale of environment it had to deal with. Thanks for lowering the bar Crytek!

Okay, I'm going to take 'both sides being more nuanced than they'll admit' as something of a pro-pirate argument, because the Pirate argument is full of nuances because they've got the burden of justification. 'It allows me to trial the game' 'I don't want to give the publishers money for a bad game' (a bad game they're taking the effort to seek out and play) 'it's not stealing because they don't have less versions of a game'

In fact the debate can be said to be one side saying. This is really simple and the other saying it isn't.

So enlighten me, what are the nuances to pirating?

Packie_J:

Covarr:

fanklok:

P.S. Thanks

Huh... I always thought that smaller, more linear level design would give developers more opportunity to enhance NPCs AI behavior and pathfinding. Say what you want about Crysis but the AI was impressive for the scale of environment it had to deal with. Thanks for lowering the bar Crytek!

The AI in Crysis 2 wasnt bad, it was actually quite good, the problem is that when it wanted to be stupid it was incredibly stupid

I'm not usually biggest fan of this comic, a lot of the references tend to fly over my head - all my fault, I haven't played a huge amount of modern games is all. For a gamer, that's pretty terrible on my part.

But this comic made me do a serious laugh out loud. I haven't played Crysis 2 and I'm not as hip on the piracy issue as a lot of people, but the joke was really well crafted. Well done guys! :D

I know piracy is unethical, but I'm still mad-jealous that 4 million got to play this piece of shit for free while I shelled out $60.

I thought this was about... err, cats ...

I'm assuming a lot of the people who pirated it did so to see if their computer could run it, not that it's a good excuse.

4,000,000 pirated it, 40,000 were able to play it.

I normally didn't care about pirates...

But srsly? 4 million lost sales? Even from someone who understands why 'some' people pirate and have some friends that pirate, this is a pretty big low. I can understand now why there are so many people rallying for a way to stop it.

... However, if these pirates lead to SOPA being passed one of these days, I know whose house I'm burning down first.

EXACTLY!.

Crysis one incredibly sold one million, and Cevat Yerli still had the nerve to say that they would have sold twenty times that if not for piracy. Really?. That POS?. They should be glad they sold 10 times what they deserved for a tech demo.

This only goes to show what a bad taste pirates have. Crysis 2?. There were MUCH better games this year that deserved more to be pirated, not to mention bought.

ThunderCavalier:
I normally didn't care about pirates...

But srsly? 4 million lost sales? Even from someone who understands why 'some' people pirate and have some friends that pirate, this is a pretty big low. I can understand now why there are so many people rallying for a way to stop it.

... However, if these pirates lead to SOPA being passed one of these days, I know whose house I'm burning down first.

It's not 4 million lost sales, there is no guarantee that every single person that pirated the game would have ever bought the it. Especially considering the terrible press the game got for being a console ported piece of dumbed down shit compared to its predecessor. I'm honestly not even surprised that it would be the most pirated game on pc. Crytek said "fuck you" to pc gamers so self-righteous shits took it upon themselves to say "fuck you" back and pirate the game. I really believe that in this case a really large percentage of that 4 million was never intending on giving Crytek money for that game.

I bet a lot of those people pirated it to just see how bad it really was and how low under expectations Crytek had sunk. No one got this game to test their system, why would you benchmark in DX 9? That theory, to me, is invalid. No, people wanted to see something terrible so they had something to complain about on some forums somewhere.

Anyway, I'm not condoning the pirates, but at the same time I can't agree that they lost a sale for each pirated copy of the game. Crytek fucked up, that's where they lost the pc sales. Piracy in this case I think had a very small impact on that.

Well, Crysis 2's singleplayer was awesome, and I'm a PC gamer. Multiplayer was great in the demo, but in the final version it had lost it's charm.

And yes, I had played Crysis, and I think it's a better game, but Crysis 2 was still a solid, very fun game.

Dango:
I'm assuming a lot of the people who pirated it did so to see if their computer could run it, not that it's a good excuse.

Especially with the existence of this website.

At the end of the day a lot of people will download a game for free that they would never have paid for. Most pirates also buy games as well. There are probably some lost sales to piracy but the amount is probably really low.
And in case that makes some people think I am a dirty pirate go put my user name into the Steam calculator, Mygaffer.

I feel like everyone downloaded Crysis 2 as a benchmark test for their computer instead of an actual graphics test.

Played once, will never do it again. I can imagine everyone who pirated Crysis 2 had this monologue:

My sweet, preicous machine. I love you, you are the center of my existence. If only there was a game that truly proved your worth...

Wait, what's this? Another Crysis game? Challenge accepted.

*three hours of pirated download later...

Hm, not bad, the start up menu looks nice.

*le three minutes later...

ARGHHHAAA!!! BURN IT WITH FIRE!! BURN THE HORRIBLENESS WITH FIRE!! IT BURNS, IT BURNS US PRECIOUS. TAKE IT OFF. NEED FIRE!

*le can of gasoline and a lighter

BURN THE UNRIGHTEOUSNESS AND CAST THIS DEMON BACK INTO THE ABYSS FROM WHENCE IT CAME!

*Meanwhile, back at company HQ...

Look sir, so many piraters loved our game. If only they bought it, we would have sold millions. Onward to make Crysis 3!

Erin, you are a lier.

I must admit to pirating Crysis 2 for the sole purpose of seeing if my PC could handle it. I played the game for all of 10 minutes.

theriddlen:
Well, Crysis 2's singleplayer was awesome, and I'm a PC gamer. Multiplayer was great in the demo, but in the final version it had lost it's charm.

And yes, I had played Crysis, and I think it's a better game, but Crysis 2 was still a solid, very fun game.

Thank you, from a fellow PC gamer.

Good to see so many good little boys and girls here.

This is why CoD and BF keep getting rehashed. When they make a new game, I'll actually buy it.

Otaku World Order:
Clearly the four million people who pirated Witcher 2 had much better taste. Their morality still sucked though

Now, prove that there were 4 million individual downloaders.

Don't forget to account for seedboxes, failed/multiple downloads, the fact that those numbers are usually cross referenced with various sites, which makes downloads count several times.

Ever wondered why CD Projekt said they were only sending letters to people they were 100% sure? Because whoever calculated those numbers cannot prove them.

Grenge Di Origin:

Dango:

Especially with the existence of this website.

I never pirated a game to know if I could handle it, but I know from personal experience that sometime that site fucks up.

Some hardware I had was supposed to run a game, it didn't. Another time, it said it couldn't handle a game. It did.

I never used that site ever since.

I actually didn't see the ending to this comic. When the punchline kicked in, it gave me a chuckle. Good one, but still sad that so many would pirate a game like that. You would think that these gamers would consider behaving since gaming companies are trying to come up with ways to stop piracy or 'sneaky' tactics to rip them off.. which now gamers are being the ones ripped off. Had to say it.

XD nice zinger at the end there.

to bad we'll probably get another Crysis game though :/

Other P word? What other P word? Surely it isn't penis?

The P- word? like in ported? Pirates vote with their wallet. As soon as that EA stamp is on there, alot of the profit is going to get pirated. I never played crysis 2 btw, dident look like much of an improvement from.. well, far cry..

Ah, the dreaded P-word. Well ... the other P-word.

Still haven't narrowed it down.

People play pirated PC ports? Preposterous. >.>

Particularly appreciated the part about the property being pretty poor.

plainlake:
Pirates vote with their wallet.

Poppycock.

Piracy statistics say to the producers that these games are worth playing. This promotes the persistence of those poor titles, pretty much resulting in the polar opposite of a negative vote.

"Voting with your wallet" is a pretty pathetic notion to begin with, as it only really relates to affirmative motion. Particularly, whether game X or game Y is preferred. Negative votes are impossible to differentiate. Piracy Proponents are merely setting up another positive voting predicament, predictably prompting the assumption that people prefer these titles but prefer not to pay.

Popular pirated properties are considered preferable by corporations as they still promise popularity.

ElPatron:

Now, prove that there were 4 million individual downloaders.

Didn't even prove that. It used some dodgy assumptions and cooked mathematics to what would ultimately be a seriously inflated number. I seriously wouldn't be surprised to find the number was double or more what could be reasonably proved.

As of the time I hit quote, I have one post in this thread for a total of 33 posts. Assuming no other posts until I hit send, I will be one seventeenth of the thread.

Extrapolating, as CD Projekt did, I could assume I was 1/17th of the Escapist board posts. Since I have 7874 posts, that means that there is a grand total of 133858 posts.

I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one who read the whole interview, as the guy who gave that number even partially admits to its faulty nature.

Pirates again, when did this become a big deal
I thought the bigger deal was being punished for not being a pirate

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook