Jimquisition: SOPA Approved

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Well that title sure as hell didn't scare the shit out of me and made me panic.

Why the bill even needs to exist just boggles my mind and I seriously hope that it doesn't go through. Just thinking about what the internet will be like if it passes just depresses me and I'd rather not think about it....

Shit was fucking hilarious.

I think I shall join you at the bottom of a bottle of scotch is SOPA is passed..

Deadly Premonition main theme! Definitely an awesome soundtrack, though you might get shut down for that one.

Joking aside, I've already emailed the ESA and my congressmen. They'd be imbeciles to still support that garbage, so of course they will.

Even though the internet is dead Jim Sterling still manages to make an interesting episode of the Jimquisition, thank God for Jim.

Also i havent had a good laugh for a while until i saw him crying, then i saw the ending and it was even better :)

Also also lol to breaking the blinds/curtains :D

I almost shit my pants when i saw sopa approved =( bad jim

I'm going to look to the future here, when SOPA passes and proves to be ineffective at stopping actual piracy the Entertainment industry will have to lobby for new drastic legislation to stop this epidemic on our society.

So let me be the first to propose "CIPA", Child Illiteracy for Productive America. You see the source for piracy is the internet and to be able to use the internet you have to be able to read, reading however is not necessary for the enjoyment of watching and listening to movies or music. So enter CIPA, because only through an initiative to return illiteracy rates to 14th century standards can we stamp out the evils of piracy once and for all!

Lono Shrugged:

I would seriously watch this every week.

No, you wouldn't, Jim dies after one episode because he'll go outside. If it passes Jim dies, it is as simple as that.

My heart stopped for a second after reading the title. Don't you dare to ever do that again Jim. Ever.

It was interesting to see a drunken Jim doing an episode. More of that please :P

I was actually expecting 7 minutes of mental distress and uncontrollable sobbing.

Longer Jimquisitions when in more constraints.

Jim isn't dead, he passed out because of the Johny W.

You showed that sword from that RTS with the space marines and orcs which I won't name for fear of being disappeared in the dead of night so you're a very bad person Jim!

Oh jeez, "SOPA Approved" on the front page scared me.

Kopikatsu:

Fusioncode9:
It depresses me that the internet will be destroyed if SOPA passes. Hopefully Obama keeps his promise and vetos the bill.

It can pass even if vetoed. Checks and balances are a go.

Anyway, anyone mind pointing out where SOPA ends Fair Use? 'Cause...it doesn't.

oh, you're right. It doesn't end Fair Use, only flips it upside down.
Instead of the copyright holder having to prove in court that you're doing things with their IP that isn't fair (mainly causing monetary damage, like spreading their songs or movies for free on the web), these copyright holders now can give orders to basically cut you off from the internet for as long as you haven't proven that your use of their IP could be deemed 'fair'
I have a lawyer as brother but even he wouldn't work that shit for free so good luck coming up with the resources to fight a court order every time you want to post something like a screenshot or game art, hell, even fanfiction or fanart.

It's perfectly worded to allow abuse like that.

So yeah, it doesn't end fair use, it just breaks its legs with a sickening crack. Block first, then maybe check if Fair Use applies? sounds like censorship to me.

That being said, this only applies to the internet, so if you have any other source of publication, you're golden.
I mean, who publishes their shit online anyway... Oh wait...

Further reading:
http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/22/2648219/stop-online-piracy-act-sopa-what-is-it
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-57329001-281/how-sopa-would-affect-you-faq/

EDIT: On the jimquisition: The silence at the beginning was exactly 15 seconds too long. I get it. That was the point. Doesn't stop it from being useless and a waste of time.
Other than that... yeah, decent episode.

Quite possibly the best episode yet.

...though the title did give me a big fucking scare. And I'm not exactly scared easily. Few things scare me, the end of the Internet as we know it being one of them. Yes, I am serious.

I was scared shit when I first read it. I mean, I watch news everyday, different channels and did not know that. Also SOPA would destroy the internet (well more for US than other countries).

Remember, keep your Jim Sterling inside at all times or vicious predators such as ants or certain beetles will ravage him!

Also

*WHEW*

Title shock...

The Chainsword is Copyright of Games Workshop!
Fire up the DNS rerouters on Escapist Magazine!
Death to Filthy Pirates!

*This comment has been removed due to use of self expression*

At first, this episode made me sort of question as to why you're doing this rather then talking about SOPA with your criticism but then I realized- this is a better method you've pulled off by showing how SOPA will affect you and all if this passes. Also the ending made me laugh so hard haha. Sorry, sorry.

I applaud you Jim for doing this episode. Showing just how it'll pain everyone that you cannot do or say anything while being so limited, along with that you've probably even broken a few rules just by wearing those glasses. In all honesty, this bill is by far the biggest corruption i've ever seen Congress try to pull off.

That just pains me, to be a USA citizen yet this bill goes against all of our rights.. and forces us to lose what we love over the dumbest reasons really. A link could get a website to become censored, along with this website for sure being taken down. We'll lose The Escapist.. then what will I do? Go outside like I normally do now and then while my friends/relatives are mainly busy anyhow? What of my Xbox 360 also? Will my online account be stripped because of my username having to relate with Dead Space?? *sigh* .. Why America? Why..?

Title freaked me out.
Ending made me LOL.

SOPA is just one very silly piece of legislation. It isn't even fit for its purpose, since all it takes to get around it is a list of IPs for blocked sites hosted on a non-blocked site.

inb4 UK becomes the new centre of the internet because the USA shafts itself with this law.

Jim Sterling:
SOPA Approved

The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) could change the Internet forever if enforced. Having been written in such broad and vague terms, giving corporations maximum power to black out websites, a chilling effect could be seen, as the Internet's content creators become too afraid to risk anything, lest they lose everything.
This week's Jimquisition is speculative fiction, showing a future Jim Sterling who is bound to toil under SOPA's oppressive rule. It's all very conceptual and clever, I think you'll agree.

Watch Video

D:

JIM!

YOU FORGOT TO REMOVE ThE CHAINSWORD FROM THE TITLE SCREEN!

REMOVE IT BEFORE THE ESC-

The Escapist has been removed due to copyright infringement under the Stop Online Piracy Act.

Be calm and move on.

in after SOPA will kill Jim? Sign me up!
lololololololol

or atleast something like that :3

But to be honest when I saw the title I understood what was going to happen in this video.
I only just realised what people where shocked about >.<
silly American leglislators coming up with silly laws.
but isnt that PIPA thing going to cause problems aswell?

What was the song at the end, WANT!

Wasn't a very good episode, but I hate SOPA. It's a fucking retarded scheme for companies can get money. Fucking lobbyists.

So did anyone else find this rather obvious and pretty much pointless? Seriously, anyone?

TwistedEllipses:
I guessed this was another joke episode and lo and behold, it was basically the same as the blackout and Skyrim episodes. It's a really laboured joke now and an excuse to be lazy...

Well, this might be one.

Anyway, I guess I just expected too much. I thought that with Jim addressing such an important issue he might actually make a decent episode but I guess not. Oh well, back to waiting for extra credits to post a new episode I guess. Maybe Big Picture will talk about SOPA this week.

I think Jim's really hit his comedic stride. Brilliant stuff.

Otherwise, I don't think I have too much to say on the topic of SOPA that hasn't already been covered by the rest of my fellow Escapists. So... Yeah.

Damn near gave me a heart attack.

ph0b0s123:

sindremaster:

ph0b0s123:
One question on this whole thing. How does it affect sites etc outside of the US. I.e not a .com that US authorities think they own, wherever hosted, but .co.uk 's etc. I feel very sorry for people in the US if this is approved. I also understand that there will be an initial effect since most web content comes from the US. But if say Jim moves him, his show and it's hosting back to his native UK (from the accent), won't the show be back to normal?

If the US gov wants to turn the US into the Internet version of North Korean, then fine. I just don't see where 'this will kill the whole Internet' comes from. There are other countries in the world out there you know, where this legislation will not reach. Escapistmagazine.co.uk, youtube.co.uk FTW?

A lot of the audience from sites like the Escapist are American. If Americans can't enter these sites, they lose a lot of money and may have to shut down, even if they're not based in the US.

OK, so the US as a consumer market gets lost. I understand it is the biggest market. I just am not seeing the 'this will kill the whole internet'. That statement is a bit US centric, to me.

Spain already adopted a similar bill. How long before others follow suit? Plus losing their biggest market is going to make many websites change. Many will even collapse. It won't kill the entire internet but it is going to impact all other countries.

Fusioncode9:
It depresses me that the internet will be destroyed if SOPA passes. Hopefully Obama keeps his promise and vetos the bill.

He'll still sign it. But he will also put in a little footnote that he does so with a heavy heart and that we can count on the fact that his administration wont personally destroy the internet...yet.
I want Jim to live but I don't want to give him mouth to mouth.
Am I a bad person?

Dylan Greer:
What was the song at the end, WANT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXo_Z9BF7ao&feature=related

The Deadly Premonition soundtrack. An extremely oddball, niche, crazy game that happens to have extremely good music.

And I can't mention that soundtrack without posting this infamous, but incredible tune- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OUP_Z3iZPs

Kopikatsu:

Fusioncode9:

It can pass even if vetoed. Checks and balances are a go.

Anyway, anyone mind pointing out where SOPA ends Fair Use? 'Cause...it doesn't.

Fair use hasn't stopped companies from claiming copyright and banning people from using their material.

Well the only thing I can say is.
{Insert clever Star Trek reference involving 'Dammit Jim' here}

I thought he would have made a serious point against SOPA. Again, you know, after his video on this exact subject.

ph0b0s123:

sindremaster:

ph0b0s123:
One question on this whole thing. How does it affect sites etc outside of the US. I.e not a .com that US authorities think they own, wherever hosted, but .co.uk 's etc. I feel very sorry for people in the US if this is approved. I also understand that there will be an initial effect since most web content comes from the US. But if say Jim moves him, his show and it's hosting back to his native UK (from the accent), won't the show be back to normal?

If the US gov wants to turn the US into the Internet version of North Korean, then fine. I just don't see where 'this will kill the whole Internet' comes from. There are other countries in the world out there you know, where this legislation will not reach. Escapistmagazine.co.uk, youtube.co.uk FTW?

A lot of the audience from sites like the Escapist are American. If Americans can't enter these sites, they lose a lot of money and may have to shut down, even if they're not based in the US.

OK, so the US as a consumer market gets lost. I understand it is the biggest market. I just am not seeing the 'this will kill the whole internet'. That statement is a bit US centric, to me.

You should read this saying.

"First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me."

ph0b0s123:

sindremaster:

ph0b0s123:

I see what you're saying, I do doubt this will kill the whole internet, far from it. But it's still an idiotic idea, I believe on his last video I said something about China? It's like something of fiction this LaLiLuLeLo thing, how any sane people could think it was a good idea I don't know...

Edit: I'd like to add to this that alot of internet content I like is based in the US, even though I'm not myself from the US, nor do I live there, nor have I ever paid a visit there; not just entertainment like this or the rather good playthrough of pokemon black/white I enjoyed today on Hellfirecomms because I had nothing better to do, but even things like FAQ's and fansites offering information on games, or walkthroughs, or trophchievement guides, could theoretically be gone because of this act. Not to be rude or deliberately offensive but realistically if you think because you arent american this wont affect you you're almost as stupid as the people who would vote it into law.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here