Jimquisition: SOPA Approved

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

That was terrible... which clearly was the point.

Hope to god this thing doesn't get approved..

Dead in the street was the best way to end this... and all videos.

Not G. Ivingname:

Jim Sterling:
SOPA Approved

The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) could change the Internet forever if enforced. Having been written in such broad and vague terms, giving corporations maximum power to black out websites, a chilling effect could be seen, as the Internet's content creators become too afraid to risk anything, lest they lose everything.
This week's Jimquisition is speculative fiction, showing a future Jim Sterling who is bound to toil under SOPA's oppressive rule. It's all very conceptual and clever, I think you'll agree.

Watch Video

D:

JIM!

YOU FORGOT TO REMOVE ThE CHAINSWORD FROM THE TITLE SCREEN!

REMOVE IT BEFORE THE ESC-

The Escapist has been removed due to copyright infringement under the Stop Online Piracy Act.

Be calm and move on.

Keep calm and carry on, y'know, if you're British.

Spud of Doom:
inb4 UK becomes the new centre of the internet because the USA shafts itself with this law.

We just don't have the room for the servers man! D:
We could dump them all in the outback down under though? :3

I've always thought "This will shut ME down" is a poor argument against SOPA. The average voter tends to be selfish and motivated by how it will affect THEM. That's why those Republican scare messages work so well.

chiefohara:
Thank god for the Jimquisition

I'm sorry, but you're now a felon.

erttheking:
DUDE, CHANGE THE TITLE! Jesus, nearly gave me a fucking heart attack.

How the Hell are people jumping to this conclusion that it means SOPA has been approved? This would have been HUGE news well before Jim put anything up.

Kopikatsu:

Anyway, anyone mind pointing out where SOPA ends Fair Use? 'Cause...it doesn't.

It doesn't, but with no right to actually appeal the claims against you, many people won't dare take the chance. Jim actually hints at this in saying that it's too risky, not that it's illegal to mention trademarked material.

Look, the MPAA and RIAA already have a habit of getting trigger-happy with threats and lawsuits. The DMCA already scares Youtube so much they'll pull stuff that the plaintiff doesn't have a right to complain about, just to be safe. The DMCA doesn't stop fair use, either, but look at what it's done.

Hell, I've mentioned it before: I've got legal warnings for sharing my own music online before. Songs written, performed and recorded by me or me and co-conspirators.

Fair use is already kinda on the ropes.

SkarKrow:

Not G. Ivingname:

Jim Sterling:
SOPA Approved

The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) could change the Internet forever if enforced. Having been written in such broad and vague terms, giving corporations maximum power to black out websites, a chilling effect could be seen, as the Internet's content creators become too afraid to risk anything, lest they lose everything.
This week's Jimquisition is speculative fiction, showing a future Jim Sterling who is bound to toil under SOPA's oppressive rule. It's all very conceptual and clever, I think you'll agree.

Watch Video

D:

JIM!

YOU FORGOT TO REMOVE ThE CHAINSWORD FROM THE TITLE SCREEN!

REMOVE IT BEFORE THE ESC-

The Escapist has been removed due to copyright infringement under the Stop Online Piracy Act.

Be calm and move on.

Keep calm and carry on, y'know, if you're British.

The poster of this comment has been sent to a prison boat under the National Defense Authorization Act for breaking the Stop Online Piracy Act.

Maybe go talk about Beatoven, his work isn't under copyright.

Shotgun Guy:

Lono Shrugged:

I would seriously watch this every week.

No, you wouldn't, Jim dies after one episode because he'll go outside. If it passes Jim dies, it is as simple as that.

So this is how Metro 2033 happened!

I was going to say that Jim made the best pro-SOPA argument I've seen. Namely a drunk, rambling Jim having to actually go... OUTSIDE! *gasp* Though the ending made it less good. I guess now we know why Jim never goes outside. Also, I'd like to say that's a very pleasent-looking home.

As for the Lost bit, I thought you were going to bring up the references to it in Arkham City. Though that may be because I just beat that game last night.

Overall, funny if somewhat dull video there.

It would happen the same that happened to Mininova... Oh, wait, bad choice of example...

OH MY GOD, THE DEADLY PREMONITION MUSIC!!!!!.......I'm pretty sure that's copyrighted music Jim....Run, Run before it's too late!

And now you all know the definition of the term "chilling effect." The one that SOPA and PROTECT IP will cause will be the free speech equivalent of an ice age.

Scary title much!

Thank god for Jim's dedication to this, it's really admirable.
Because before it's challenged, that's if it is passed, SOPA really could have that much of an impact.
I however trust the heroic entities of the interwebs to challenge the the Act to the bitter end, failing that the net will find a way. Just think what some people will have time to do once they're not distracted by the Chans or the escapist for that matter lol

I'm sorry Jim, but not even your (possitive adjective here) can help us if SOPA comes to pass.

It's dramatic, but it's actually possible under SOPA. Not that I think companies would utilize it. If it were to pass, there would be so much division over it, it would end up being nothing. For instance, a state that doesn't support the SOPA will get all the business from places that do support SOPA. It would be like Arizona and the Mexican debacle.

dragonsshunter:
What was Jim thinking going outside, he should've known it was too dangerous out there.

Well well well, no censor blur over that chainsword from warhammer 40k huh? Get ready for jail, punk.

Brilliant, funny ending. Simple,but just very well executed and point entertainingly made!

oh!..and...very conceptional..and clever, of course

Prevent unintentional Suicide of people feeling forced to enter the Outside-World / Stop SOPA!

You know Jim, we got the "joke" by the 3rd minute or so. I got bored and shut it off by the forth. This video could have had a stellar ending, but I will never know. Although I'm guessing I didn't miss much.

You! Scared! Me! change the title oh my goodness. Funny parody. It was an incredibly boring video but i get it. lol.

I don't see it happening really. I just read an article (question all sources I don't know the validity of the statements) that google, facebook, twitter, paypal and several other internet companies are considering the nuclear option of blacking out their websites in protest of SOPA. effectively crushing the internet as we know it. While this is similar to the proposed bill it would be a taste of the future that our congress offers. Which is a bad one. There is alot of opposition from its base and from the large corporation heads. And with big money and numbers comes big clout. as I like to quote from the movie taken "good luck." If it passes i'll probably be sued for this post :P

Draxyle:

Dylan Greer:
What was the song at the end, WANT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXo_Z9BF7ao&feature=related

The Deadly Premonition soundtrack. An extremely oddball, niche, crazy game that happens to have extremely good music.

And I can't mention that soundtrack without posting this infamous, but incredible tune- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OUP_Z3iZPs

As a total soundtrack nut; thank you for this post. I hadn't heard of this before, and trust me, I've heard a LOT. What an incredible gem this is, so nice.

I don't get why so many people are so hung up over SOPA. SOPA's a joke, it won't get passed and even if it did before long there'd be court case after court case from websites like Youtube, escapist, etc. would be won by the simple citation of the First Amendment rendering the law null and void anyway.

ph0b0s123:
One question on this whole thing. How does it affect sites etc outside of the US. I.e not a .com that US authorities think they own, wherever hosted, but .co.uk 's etc. I feel very sorry for people in the US if this is approved. I also understand that there will be an initial effect since most web content comes from the US. But if say Jim moves him, his show and it's hosting back to his native UK (from the accent), won't the show be back to normal?

If the US gov wants to turn the US into the Internet version of North Korean, then fine. I just don't see where 'this will kill the whole Internet' comes from. There are other countries in the world out there you know, where this legislation will not reach. Escapistmagazine.co.uk, youtube.co.uk FTW?

Did you hear? Apparently the US government is threatening European nations with crippling economic sanctions if they don't pass their own versions of SOPA. It's already worked with Spain. So yeah, that plan's not viable any more.

immortalfrieza:
I don't get why so many people are so hung up over SOPA. SOPA's a joke, it won't get passed and even if it did before long there'd be court case after court case from websites like Youtube, escapist, etc. would be won by the simple citation of the First Amendment rendering the law null and void anyway.

You would think that. But a stupidly high amount of congressmen are totally on board for this bill despite not understanding the consequences. A lot of the big media corporations are trying to ram this through and are practically paying for this legislation to happen. It's not something we can ignore, because it definitely would get passed without the outrage.

The sponsor of the bill is even calling out the internet rage against it as "illegitimate" and "hyperbolic". They have been bought out, and we need to let them know that they're going to be kicked out of office no matter how much campaign money they rack up from this stunt.

These are the same people that just passed the NDAA. They do not care about the first amendment.

Spud of Doom:
Title freaked me out.
Ending made me LOL.

SOPA is just one very silly piece of legislation. It isn't even fit for its purpose, since all it takes to get around it is a list of IPs for blocked sites hosted on a non-blocked site.

inb4 UK becomes the new centre of the internet because the USA shafts itself with this law.

Nah man, there's even more lax laws in other European countries.

I'd love to see the looks on their faces when this bill causes the American Economy to suffer and sees Europe have a bit of a boom, although I'm not sure you can even use that term in these troubled times. Maybe "Less shitty" would be more appropriate.

Edit: just learned that the U.S. is threatening to impose crippling ecenomic sanctions on other countries of they don't pass their own version of SOPA.

A hearty "fuck you" to all responsible. So that's how the land of the free choses to protect it's richest tennants: give them the power to oppress everyone else's expression, and then tell the rest of the world to do the same.

Wanna argue about it? No, fuck you (apparently). Under the NDAA, you'll be classified as a military threat to the nation and can be locked away indefinetly without a trial.

All together now!

"Oh, say can you see... "

SkarKrow:

ph0b0s123:

sindremaster:

A lot of the audience from sites like the Escapist are American. If Americans can't enter these sites, they lose a lot of money and may have to shut down, even if they're not based in the US.

OK, so the US as a consumer market gets lost. I understand it is the biggest market. I just am not seeing the 'this will kill the whole internet'. That statement is a bit US centric, to me.

I see what you're saying, I do doubt this will kill the whole internet, far from it. But it's still an idiotic idea, I believe on his last video I said something about China? It's like something of fiction this LaLiLuLeLo thing, how any sane people could think it was a good idea I don't know...

Edit: I'd like to add to this that alot of internet content I like is based in the US, even though I'm not myself from the US, nor do I live there, nor have I ever paid a visit there; not just entertainment like this or the rather good playthrough of pokemon black/white I enjoyed today on Hellfirecomms because I had nothing better to do, but even things like FAQ's and fansites offering information on games, or walkthroughs, or trophchievement guides, could theoretically be gone because of this act. Not to be rude or deliberately offensive but realistically if you think because you arent american this wont affect you you're almost as stupid as the people who would vote it into law.

"Not to be rude or deliberately offensive but realistically if you think because you arent american this wont affect you you're almost as stupid as the people who would vote it into law."

This seems to be SOP around here:

Mis-read a comment made by someone else so that it seems like they are making a different point in opposition to your point of view, instead of the one they actually made.

Then make an insulting counter argument to the point you think they raised rather than the one they did.

Where in my post did I say you would see no effect from this stupid and ill thought out law change. In fact if you read it properly I stated there would definitely be an impact.

If you had read my comment above and subsequent comments properly, you would have seen that, I just don't buy the 'oh because this affects the internet for the US and the US is the center of everything, therefore this will kill things for everybody'.

This law passing will cause lots of change to the internet. My point was it just may not all be bad if it causes the Internet to become less US centric. Websites will close or move away from direct US gov control. The US will become an internet pariah and the world will move on. I don't want this to happen, but I do not believe this will be the end of the internet, just a case book study in one country failing to impose their will on a global system. Hopefully one of the last gasps of American imperialism.

The US is the single biggest market. But it is not bigger than the rest of the world put together. Also if you get your content from non-english sources, this bill on it's own, will not change much. But of course because the US speaks English there are no other languages making content of importance for the internet, right?

NinjaDeathSlap:
-snip-
Did you hear? Apparently the US government is threatening European nations with crippling economic sanctions if they don't pass their own versions of SOPA. It's already worked with Spain. So yeah, that plan's not viable any more.

They are going to do this irrespective of whether SOPA gets shot down / gets ruled unconstitutional in the US or not. Everyone is already aware that US govs will push other countries to have more draconian laws than the US constitution would allow. US govs only care about US citizens having constitutional rights, they are quite happy to push for their removal elsewhere if it serve their or their corporate overlord's purposes.

I adore nearly all stuff about the US, it's citizen's and culture, just not most of it's foreign policy, of which it's recent pressure on the new, in hoc, Spanish gov is a case in point...

The good news is that the politicians are short sighted. They forgot to take away our right to bear arms first ... But really, sign the petition, they're not reading the forums so don't waste your time complaining here. Worst case senario, I wonder what all the people who spend most their time here will take their frustration off on. Oh well, I'm gonna sit back and enjoy the show. It'll be the only real entertainment left for me anyways.

My God, this is indeed a disturbing universe....

For a second there, I nearly thought those SOPA morons had won...
I am sadly not American, so I can't fight against this, but you better believe I'm exhorting my American friends to do something about it!

Jim, it's dangerous to go alone!!

erttheking:
DUDE, CHANGE THE TITLE! Jesus, nearly gave me a fucking heart attack.

Seriously. About choked on the food I was eating when I read that.

Hilarious episode, Jim. The outside can be a very scary place...

the title made jump at first. not nice to read this when i come on this page.
i really hope this crap will not get approved. how can i get my infos about games or even anything else. what if they close down wikipedia just because they show names, titles, etc which might be against the copyright law.
do these idiots really think they stop piracy that way? no, they just make it worse. why is the government full of retards? seriously, even a 10 year old would make a better politician then what we have now.

Fusioncode9:
It depresses me that the internet will be destroyed if SOPA passes. Hopefully Obama keeps his promise and vetos the bill.

he wont, he said he was gonna veto the NDAA bill too, but he signed it into law anyway.

I just noticed that he wasn't playing the usual FFIX music during his speech. It didn't dawn on me until the credits where it states that the music is from FFIX.

No, Jim don't go outside. It's dangerous out there. They have things like sunlight and wild animals.

captainfluoxetine:

Grouchy Imp:

ph0b0s123:
"SOPA Approved"!

Don't scare me like that, with this title on the front page, when not true....

I had a brief moment of panic too.

Oh by the way, Jim? Re your heavy breathing around 1:30 - George Lucas' lawyers would like a word...

hahaha, init, i thought he was going to make a joke outta that too!

This whole SOPA malarkey is a joke! A horrifying, draconian joke.

What will really get amusing is when SOPA passes and all the corporations start suing and blacking out each others websites and such because they showed a competitors product on a news site or something of that nature or used a trademarked name to make a comparison. They think it's all about stopping piracy, but you know they're just gnashing their teeth to start backstabbing the shit out of each other the instant SOPA drops.

ph0b0s123:
One question on this whole thing. How does it affect sites etc outside of the US. I.e not a .com that US authorities think they own, wherever hosted, but .co.uk 's etc. I feel very sorry for people in the US if this is approved. I also understand that there will be an initial effect since most web content comes from the US. But if say Jim moves him, his show and it's hosting back to his native UK (from the accent), won't the show be back to normal?

If the US gov wants to turn the US into the Internet version of North Korean, then fine. I just don't see where 'this will kill the whole Internet' comes from. There are other countries in the world out there you know, where this legislation will not reach. Escapistmagazine.co.uk, youtube.co.uk FTW?

The big issue is not only the whole other countries may follow suit thing but that Visa and Amex are both American so a site violating SOPA could not take payment that way. Mastercard have come out in support SOPA so I'm guessing they wouldn't process such payments either, this cripples a website's ability to conduct any sort of economic activity. Also it's a fair bet most advertising companies are Us based or have US based parent companies so there would be very limited ad revenue possibilities for SOPA violating websites. When you look at it this way SOPA is more of an economic sanction than a server ban.

Hopefully Jim's Deadly Premonition doesn't come true.
Ba dum tish.
It was kinda weird to hear that as I'm actually playing through that game right now. I might go back to Skyrim when I finish it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here