Jimquisition: SOPA Approved

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

This isnt SOPA approved. He looks to much like Jim Sterling.

Gotta shut him down to be safe in case hes not the real Jim, and is just pirating his looks.

I was kinda expecting SOPA agents busting down his door when mentioned Lost.

ph0b0s123:

sindremaster:

ph0b0s123:
One question on this whole thing. How does it affect sites etc outside of the US. I.e not a .com that US authorities think they own, wherever hosted, but .co.uk 's etc. I feel very sorry for people in the US if this is approved. I also understand that there will be an initial effect since most web content comes from the US. But if say Jim moves him, his show and it's hosting back to his native UK (from the accent), won't the show be back to normal?

If the US gov wants to turn the US into the Internet version of North Korean, then fine. I just don't see where 'this will kill the whole Internet' comes from. There are other countries in the world out there you know, where this legislation will not reach. Escapistmagazine.co.uk, youtube.co.uk FTW?

A lot of the audience from sites like the Escapist are American. If Americans can't enter these sites, they lose a lot of money and may have to shut down, even if they're not based in the US.

OK, so the US as a consumer market gets lost. I understand it is the biggest market. I just am not seeing the 'this will kill the whole internet'. That statement is a bit US centric, to me.

Well, there's this. That's certainly seems "this will kill the whole internet" worthy.

Tanis:
We should just take everyone who votes for SOPA and make them unelectable by claiming they're gay atheists who support Justin Biender... :P

Clever. If they argue against it you file against their site or television show and have it removed under SOPA.

This...this is evil.

Draxyle:

immortalfrieza:
I don't get why so many people are so hung up over SOPA. SOPA's a joke, it won't get passed and even if it did before long there'd be court case after court case from websites like Youtube, escapist, etc. would be won by the simple citation of the First Amendment rendering the law null and void anyway.

You would think that. But a stupidly high amount of congressmen are totally on board for this bill despite not understanding the consequences. A lot of the big media corporations are trying to ram this through and are practically paying for this legislation to happen. It's not something we can ignore, because it definitely would get passed without the outrage.

The sponsor of the bill is even calling out the internet rage against it as "illegitimate" and "hyperbolic". They have been bought out, and we need to let them know that they're going to be kicked out of office no matter how much campaign money they rack up from this stunt.

These are the same people that just passed the NDAA. They do not care about the first amendment.

Your point? No politician has ever cared about the first amendment or the Constitution as a whole since the founding fathers were in office, and it hasn't kept laws like SOPA from being completely powerless and unenforcable. Besides, SOPA isn't going to make any more progress in stopping things like Piracy from happening in the US or any other country any more than any other attempt to do just that they've ever taken.

erttheking:
DUDE, CHANGE THE TITLE! Jesus, nearly gave me a fucking heart attack.

My thoughts exactly!
I was like "oh shit oh shit oh shit did this thing really fucking happen?"

immortalfrieza:

Draxyle:

immortalfrieza:
I don't get why so many people are so hung up over SOPA. SOPA's a joke, it won't get passed and even if it did before long there'd be court case after court case from websites like Youtube, escapist, etc. would be won by the simple citation of the First Amendment rendering the law null and void anyway.

You would think that. But a stupidly high amount of congressmen are totally on board for this bill despite not understanding the consequences. A lot of the big media corporations are trying to ram this through and are practically paying for this legislation to happen. It's not something we can ignore, because it definitely would get passed without the outrage.

The sponsor of the bill is even calling out the internet rage against it as "illegitimate" and "hyperbolic". They have been bought out, and we need to let them know that they're going to be kicked out of office no matter how much campaign money they rack up from this stunt.

These are the same people that just passed the NDAA. They do not care about the first amendment.

Your point? No politician has ever cared about the first amendment or the Constitution as a whole since the founding fathers were in office, and it hasn't kept laws like SOPA from being completely powerless and unenforcable. Besides, SOPA isn't going to make any more progress in stopping things like Piracy from happening in the US or any other country any more than any other attempt to do just that they've ever taken.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that no politician has cared - there are probably a small collection of honorable individuals in office that are surrounded by the many thieves, braggarts, cowards, ect.
I wonder where they will stop? Will they start policing those that give a mix cd to a significant other? That person certainly didn't pay for those songs.

The title made me piss myself. Seriously, man, what the hell?

This was highly depressing, until the end 'cuz that was kind of funny.

Cain_Zeros:

ph0b0s123:

sindremaster:

A lot of the audience from sites like the Escapist are American. If Americans can't enter these sites, they lose a lot of money and may have to shut down, even if they're not based in the US.

OK, so the US as a consumer market gets lost. I understand it is the biggest market. I just am not seeing the 'this will kill the whole internet'. That statement is a bit US centric, to me.

Well, there's this. That's certainly seems "this will kill the whole internet" worthy.

I am a network engineer so am aware of all of this. Again this is US focused on the US controlled domains. Domains like, my local .co.uk or other country DNS will not be that affected apart from getting rubbish .com DNS info.

Other countries DNS providers will mitigate around this. It will screw the US DNS service, but the US DNS service is not the 'whole of the internet', the point I keep trying to make. The article even agrees.

From the article you quoted:
"Taken to extremes, the reckless pursuit of secure content could fracture the dubious alliance that's allowed the US to maintain control over the internet and lead to the creation of a second international network. "

This is the point I have been trying to make here all along. The world will have a two tier internet. An unfiltered one used by most countries, and a filtered one that countries such as China, N Korea and the US put in place. If Jim moves to the UK, he can do his show as normal, but with no US watchers and yes less money. A call of 'don't do this as it will remove a market for our content' is different to this 'will kill the whole internet' and just comes off as Americans forgetting they are not the only country in the world.

Initially there will be a big impact on the internet, but it will adapt around the US measures and content will just become less focused for the US market. If anything this may remove power from the US content lobby, as they will be cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

At the end of the day if this monstrosity passes it is curtains for the US part of the internet and should be avoided at all costs. If there was something I as a foreigner, could be doing to put pressure on the US gov not to do this, I would but since they hardly even listen to even US citizens, I have no chance. But it will not 'kill the whole of the internet', that's the only part of this whole argument I disagree with.

That ending was fantastic :D (and moving of course)

The end was brilliant. I liked the genuine apprehension to speak.

Over react much, talk about fear mongering. lol. This law wont come into effect and especially not in the evil form they say it will. Mostly because it does more harm than good especially to music and film companies that want to spread promotions for bands and films. So dont worry about it, you will have a heart attack and die all for nothing.

Love at the 6.24 point he plays the music from the game Deadly Premonition.

SOPA will kill Jim?
SIGN ME UP!
lololololololo

You'll get what i was talking about if you watched the whole video ;P

In all seriousness, what would be the profit loss if SOPA goes through for everything?
Great episode, even if the joke did go on a bit too long...

Disasterpiece Press:

immortalfrieza:

Draxyle:

I wouldn't go so far as to say that no politician has cared - there are probably a small collection of honorable individuals in office that are surrounded by the many thieves, braggarts, cowards, ect.
I wonder where they will stop? Will they start policing those that give a mix cd to a significant other? That person certainly didn't pay for those songs.

I wouldn't say things like that, everybody that's hating on SOPA is just being extreme in an attempt to provoke a reaction from Congress. Even in the extremely unlikely event that SOPA actually passes, they're not going to use it anywhere near as abusively as people think it's going to, it wouldn't last a month if they did.

SOPA is the brain child of numerous corporations who are fighting what they see as the biggest enemy to their obscene profits, the internet.

The internet is the last truly free frontier that isn't the vacuum of Space, where people come to share and to scrutinize and to speculate and to question. Such a liberal Utopia cannot be tolerated by the Elitist snobs that are responsible for this heinous bill. The 1% as they have come to be known.

As an Australian, I am disgusted that my life and my experience on the internet can be influenced or degraded by a bill that is not even of my own countries making. It is an absolute disgrace and is the thin edge of the wedge of a much more frightening reality.

Kopikatsu:

Fusioncode9:
It depresses me that the internet will be destroyed if SOPA passes. Hopefully Obama keeps his promise and vetos the bill.

It can pass even if vetoed. Checks and balances are a go.

Anyway, anyone mind pointing out where SOPA ends Fair Use? 'Cause...it doesn't.

Yes, Congress can override the veto by 2/3 vote. I think it's 2/3rds anyway.

You're forgetting though that there is still the Supreme Court who could rule the entire bill unconstitutional and completely destroy it forever.

Judicial branch has just as much power as the Legislative and Executive.

snowfi6916:

Kopikatsu:

Fusioncode9:
It depresses me that the internet will be destroyed if SOPA passes. Hopefully Obama keeps his promise and vetos the bill.

It can pass even if vetoed. Checks and balances are a go.

Anyway, anyone mind pointing out where SOPA ends Fair Use? 'Cause...it doesn't.

Yes, Congress can override the veto by 2/3 vote. I think it's 2/3rds anyway.

You're forgetting though that there is still the Supreme Court who could rule the entire bill unconstitutional and completely destroy it forever.

Judicial branch has just as much power as the Legislative and Executive.

It's 2/3rds.

And the Supreme Court can do that, but it's very rare that they do. The Supreme Court tries very, VERY hard to avoid anything that could be the slightest bit controversial.

Draxyle:

Dylan Greer:
What was the song at the end, WANT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXo_Z9BF7ao&feature=related

The Deadly Premonition soundtrack. An extremely oddball, niche, crazy game that happens to have extremely good music.

And I can't mention that soundtrack without posting this infamous, but incredible tune- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OUP_Z3iZPs

Thank you so much, and there is finally something interestingly different to learn on guitar. :)

immortalfrieza:

Disasterpiece Press:

immortalfrieza:

I wouldn't say things like that, everybody that's hating on SOPA is just being extreme in an attempt to provoke a reaction from Congress. Even in the extremely unlikely event that SOPA actually passes, they're not going to use it anywhere near as abusively as people think it's going to, it wouldn't last a month if they did.

I don't think I'm being extreme at all - what is the difference, in reality? I supposedly know the person who has created the mixed cd while I don't know the invisible person who is sharing with me on the internet? What about the old days of VHS, people could just tape television shows to watch and share at their convenience - did they crack down on them?
I'm not advocating piracy but I'm certainly try to put into perspective the absurdity of power that this bill is going to give major corporations in regulating what can and cannot be viewed/used/watched/listened to/enjoyed/hated on the internet. Regardless if you think that they are going to abuse this power or not, would you really want, oh say, your boss at work, a real nice guy or gal, to have the power to execute you on the spot if he/she thought you were stealing?
That may seem extreme - but also, SOPA, in context of the argument, is an extreme response to a problem that has been going on for a very long time.

...I hate politics, I really do. SOPA cannot pass at any cost (though if it does, I hope there be such a backlash the government changes it.) Fucking big businesses...

Not G. Ivingname:

SkarKrow:

Not G. Ivingname:

D:

JIM!

YOU FORGOT TO REMOVE ThE CHAINSWORD FROM THE TITLE SCREEN!

REMOVE IT BEFORE THE ESC-

The Escapist has been removed due to copyright infringement under the Stop Online Piracy Act.

Be calm and move on.

Keep calm and carry on, y'know, if you're British.

The poster of this comment has been sent to a prison boat under the National Defense Authorization Act for breaking the Stop Online Piracy Act.

Maybe go talk about Beatoven, his work isn't under copyright.

But how can I be arested by an american authority for breaking an american law when I'm in the UK? =p

NinjaDeathSlap:
[quote="ph0b0s123" post="6.337566.13643146"]
Did you hear? Apparently the US government is threatening European nations with crippling economic sanctions if they don't pass their own versions of SOPA. It's already worked with Spain. So yeah, that plan's not viable any more.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but if my A-level economics case studies still have any kind of relevance (pretty sure they do) most trade EU countries do is with other EU member states and other countries in the freetrade area like Switzerland, so the US doesnt quite have the muscle power over the vast majority of the EU to really force most member states to do this, I very much doubt the UK, France, Germany, or any Scandinavian country or Switzerland will respond to pressure by putting this into play... :\

At any rate soooooooooo sick of this thread by now but it just wont keep out of my inbox.

SkarKrow:

Not G. Ivingname:

SkarKrow:

Keep calm and carry on, y'know, if you're British.

The poster of this comment has been sent to a prison boat under the National Defense Authorization Act for breaking the Stop Online Piracy Act.

Maybe go talk about Beatoven, his work isn't under copyright.

But how can I be arested by an american authority for breaking an american law when I'm in the UK? =p

OT: Jim, the title should be "IF Sopa approved." You almost gave me a heart attack.

Thank god for Jim!

[[This user was arrested for the rest of his life for using the copywrited term 'Jim' from the popular franchise 'Earthworm Jim', and for using the copywrited term 'god' from the popular franchise 'the bible', and for using the copywrited term 'for' because it is synonymous to the word 'four' in which SOPA has four letters in it's acrynoym... So yeah, banned.]]

sindremaster:

ph0b0s123:

If the US gov wants to turn the US into the Internet version of North Korean, then fine. I just don't see where 'this will kill the whole Internet' comes from. There are other countries in the world out there you know, where this legislation will not reach. Escapistmagazine.co.uk, youtube.co.uk FTW?

Not to mention that the Escapist is a US based site, that .co.uk is just formality when dealing with the internet in the UK. And as the other sites Jim mentioned that were "gone" in the video are also based in the US, it would shut those sites down in other countries, because the stable parts of those companies are in the US.

Seeing as pretty much 100% of what this site is would be a no-no under SOPA, the Escapist would be shutdown.

ph0b0s123:

Cain_Zeros:

ph0b0s123:

I am a network engineer so am aware of all of this. Again this is US focused on the US controlled domains. Domains like, my local .co.uk or other country DNS will not be that affected apart from getting rubbish .com DNS info.

Other countries DNS providers will mitigate around this. It will screw the US DNS service, but the US DNS service is not the 'whole of the internet', the point I keep trying to make. The article even agrees.

From the article you quoted:
"Taken to extremes, the reckless pursuit of secure content could fracture the dubious alliance that's allowed the US to maintain control over the internet and lead to the creation of a second international network. "

This is the point I have been trying to make here all along. The world will have a two tier internet. An unfiltered one used by most countries, and a filtered one that countries such as China, N Korea and the US put in place. If Jim moves to the UK, he can do his show as normal, but with no US watchers and yes less money. A call of 'don't do this as it will remove a market for our content' is different to this 'will kill the whole internet' and just comes off as Americans forgetting they are not the only country in the world.

Initially there will be a big impact on the internet, but it will adapt around the US measures and content will just become less focused for the US market. If anything this may remove power from the US content lobby, as they will be cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

At the end of the day if this monstrosity passes it is curtains for the US part of the internet and should be avoided at all costs. If there was something I as a foreigner, could be doing to put pressure on the US gov not to do this, I would but since they hardly even listen to even US citizens, I have no chance. But it will not 'kill the whole of the internet', that's the only part of this whole argument I disagree with.

There is apparently a non-US petition to stop it too. I don't have a link too it right now, unfortunately although since I'm Canadian I did sign.

And the loss of the US market could cripple if not outright destroy a lot of companies. Maybe not giants like Google, but considering The Escapist has had financial issues even with the US market...

Damn I shat myself at that title.

Good show Jim.

Jim really can't handle his apple juice.

unexpected loss at end :D

I love ya Jim, but this wasn't your best episode. I would have preferred the usual philisophical Jim who knows all and everything rather than some satire that was rather boring.

I'm going to ask for another video with some seriousness about the issue, but I'll give you a few days to script it. Who agrees?

Besides, I'm still quite confused on the issue, and I'd like some guidence (although I'm still against it.)

If SOPA passes in 2012... that's how the world ends.

For sh*ts and giggles. That's Jim for you. Well if the video was a good gauge at least we still get to see Jim on video. Right? Right?....

Drunk Jim Sterling.

Podtoid.

Oh wait. I said Podtoid.

I'm going to jail!

Your most eloquent episode to date.

I hope the internet has not such a bleak future as this almost silent premonitory tale warns us of. My thoughts on SOPA after it is imposed on all of us:
I hope that this (CENSORED) gets (CENSORED) for it deserves the most (CENSORED) since talking about (CENSORED) should be a (CENSORED) guarantee, specially when (CENSORED) like we can see in (CENSORED) and hear in (CENSORED) for the lyrics are clear about (CENSORED) (CENSORED) (CENSORED) (CENSORED).

q(>.<)p

Hahahaha great payoff, loved it

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook