The Big Picture: MovieBob's Most Anticipated Movies of 2012

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Coldster:

Nurb:
-snip-

I'm glad to see someone shares my thoughts on this as well. I hope we're wrong of course and that the movie will actually be up to normal Pixar standards, but I did enjoy reading what I could not say myself. Thank you.

To be fair Moviebob said there was going to be a twist in the story so you should account for that. The twist is foreshadowed in the trailer
"...but at what price"
"If you had the chance to change your fate, would you?"
And then something about being granted a wish by a fairy.
I'd rather not think about it too much but so far it looks like the twist is going to be something really weird and awkward. However, this is Pixar we're talking about and Pixar always delivers, or so I am told.

chetoos:

DVS BSTrD:
Huh when I first saw the promos for Star Wreck (on this website no less) I actually thought it was an RTS.

Daniel Day Louis as Abraham Lincoln + WIN!

Avenger's Movie plot: Its a Skrull invasion

Regarding the Avengers plot, I have to disagree with you on the alien race they're using. While it's true that the Skrull could be candidates for the secret big villain, I am hedging my bets more on the Kree, for 3 reasons: One: The Skrull shapeshift, making them more suited to a suspense piece like the Thing, while the Kree are pretty normal looking, maybe a bit like the Jotuns in terms of effects, but nothing major, and they don't shapeshift. Therefore, for their first outing, I doubt they'll go for suspense, they're going more for major action, therefore Kree.
Reason 2: Captain Mar-Vell
Reason 3: Ms. Marvel.

Actually I was going by the fight between Captain America and Thor that they showed for that brief moment in the trailer. I can think of maybe a ruffle over authority, but there is no real conflict between them as characters. Would be more likely to occur If they thought one of them was an undercover agent.

Replace Hobbit with Batman and make 1 and 2 equal, and I have pretty much the same list. I'm just not a fan of the Lord of the Rings films. I don't hate them, but I don't really care about them.

Shadowstar38:
The problem with the new Batman is that once you've done the Joker, you got nowhere to go. Same if they put Doomsday in a superman film.

The recent Marvel films have been the only thing to get me to the theater as of late so Avengers is my number one. That Jamie Fox movie does intrigue me though.

What about Darkseid.

Anyone who calls Bane boring in the comics is off by a long shot. Apart from being one of the only villains to discover Batmans identity, Bane is also a master tactitian as well as being a much more physical presence than Batman is and that's what makes Bane interesting. He's Batman on steriods.

It makes me a sad panda when people only think of Bane as the the suck ass zombie/remote controlled muscle that he was in Batman and Robin

TheSchaef:

mronoc:
...Disney Animation Studios work has really been on an upswing lately, but they've mostly just been treading old ground with princess films and Winnie the Pooh. Seeing as this is their fist real original film since Bolt, it could be a real indicator as to whether or not we're entering a second Disney Renaissance, in the wake of Eisner's ousting.

I think the advent of John Lasseter has been a huge boon for the quality of the Disney brand in recent years. I know this is not considered "original" in the vein of Bolt, but did you catch Tangled? While it is the classic Rapunzel tale after a fashion, it also kind of subverts the traditional fairy tale a la Shrek, and the title Tangled was meant to reflect that change in perspective and the enhanced role of Flynn Ryder. As a film it works, and is entertaining for all, and more to the point, was a huge leap forward for (non-Pixar) Disney CGI work. The effect is subtle, since the best special effects are the ones you don't see, but they spent $260million on this film to make it look like a CGI rendition of their original watercolor style animation. So story aside, the film just LOOKS beautiful.

I loved Tangled, but still, a case can be made that it's a natural evolution of the traditional Disney princess film. Yes, it's humorous in places, but even sequences Snow White were considered funny at the time. That said it was still a big step forward in terms of actually making the main characters entertaining, rather than relying on side characters for comic relief. Either way, I think the ability to make film from the ground up that isn't an existing property, or so firmly rooted in pre-conceived notions of what Disney has always been, is a big step insofar as proving their ability to sustain their current momentum. Bolt was a solid film too, but John Lasseter took special care of that, because it was the first Disney animated feature on which he had an opportunity to make his mark.

jkvoller:

Shadowstar38:
The problem with the new Batman is that once you've done the Joker, you got nowhere to go. Same if they put Doomsday in a superman film.

The recent Marvel films have been the only thing to get me to the theater as of late so Avengers is my number one. That Jamie Fox movie does intrigue me though.

What about Darkseid.

Anyone who calls Bane boring in the comics is off by a long shot. Apart from being one of the only villains to discover Batmans identity, Bane is also a master tactitian as well as being a much more physical presence than Batman is and that's what makes Bane interesting. He's Batman on steriods.

It makes me a sad panda when people only think of Bane as the the suck ass zombie/remote controlled muscle that he was in Batman and Robin

I Know about how awesome Bane is, but the Film doesnt seem like its pulling it off well. While the comic book version looks like he could be a problem, Nolan's version is just some guy in a dumb mask.

MovieBob:
MovieBob's Most Anticipated Movies of 2012

You might be surprised what's not on there.

Watch Video

Honestly, I feel the way you feel about Dark Knight Rises about The Avengers.

I am almost certain it is going to be a messy flop.

Whedon is a pretty bad writer (save for Firefly) and almost every single Marvel movie was nothing special.

Thor- Only the parts in Asgard were good
Captain America- Terrible
Iron Man- Great
Iron Man 2- Decent
Incredible Hulk- Mediocre

I honestly can't see how it is going to be that good. Robert Downey Jr and Jeremy Renner are good actors, but not good enough to save what seems to be a misguided train wreck. But it'll make tons of money, and at the end of the day that's all the Disney...sorry Marvel, cares about.

List pretty much coincides with my most anticipated movies for 2012. Had no idea they were making a film on Lincoln or Quentin Tarantino's film on slavery.

Additionally I forgot all about Batman. For the longest time I thought screenshots of Bane were from the upcoming GI JOE movie. I always like Bane's mask but never really thought he was that interesting of a character. What happen to Two Face, Black Mask, or Ra's Al Ghul way better source material.

For some reason, I was worried he wouldn't put Brave on the list, mostly because it's in my top 5 for this coming year. John Carter was a bit of a surprise, considering the general hype behind it not being so hot. I mean, I, for one, really want to see it. I just didn't know about anybody else.
Also, I cannot believe I forgot about Django Unchained. Although the lack of posters/trailers so far would help my case.

Ahh, Prometheus. Probably the movie I am least excited for this year. It has trotted out one of my least favourite sci-fi cliches, aliens were somehow responsible for the creation/development of mankind or humans are from another planet. If it was more of a prequel to Alien, that would be nice. Or an archaeological dig on a dead alien race, maybe. But extraterrestrial origins of mankind, sorry mate, back seat.

I am however looking forward to 2013, when David Fincher's 20,000 Leagues under the Sea comes out.

If there's one big reason why I can't wait for Dark Knight Rises to come out is so that Christopher Nolan can finally quit Batman and go back to something that compliments his sensibilities a lot more. To this day, I think that stuff like Memento and Inception are better than The Dark Knight.

Also, nice to hear you think that Sky Captain was underrated

chetoos:

DVS BSTrD:

Regarding the Avengers plot, I have to disagree with you on the alien race they're using. While it's true that the Skrull could be candidates for the secret big villain, I am hedging my bets more on the Kree, for 3 reasons: One: The Skrull shapeshift, making them more suited to a suspense piece like the Thing, while the Kree are pretty normal looking, maybe a bit like the Jotuns in terms of effects, but nothing major, and they don't shapeshift. Therefore, for their first outing, I doubt they'll go for suspense, they're going more for major action, therefore Kree.

Na-uh it's a Shiar Invasion, so we can have Thor fight Gladiator as a thinly veiled take that to DC.

Kidding aside, shouldn't we just wait for the film?

I was getting concerned when "The hobbit" didn't come in at three because I thought for sure, you would put "The Dark Knight Rises" as two and one would be "Avengers.

I got little chills and smiled uncontrollably at the mention of The Hobbit. Everything about that film makes my entire person ache with need to see it, and then see it again, and then see it again, and keep on like this until it's ingrained in my memory forever.

My anticipation of it is second to no film. The Lord of the Rings didn't get this much because when it was released, I was a bit young to properly appreciate what they'd done. When I was 11 RotK came out and I was quite excited for it, but it wasn't until I'd gone through high school with them rewatching numerous times a year, did it fully strike me just how brilliant they were. Mind I enjoyed FotR so much as a 9 year old that I immediately began a lifetime adoration of Tolkien's work, in so much as I began reading his work, work about his work, and by 13, making steps towards reading and writing Sindarin.

Anyway... yeah, I fucking love this years outlook. Please humanity, don't spoil our memories of it by doing stupid shit.

I'm also more excited for the Avengers film now because I've gotten into the whole universe quite a bit since going to university; I met people who recommended things to me, and reassured me that it didn't much matter where I begun. So that got me grinning.

Looking forward to Spielberg's "final days of Lincoln" film too, I'll definitely be waiting for that one to hit the cinemas. While I wait, I should go to Vue or Cineworld sometime this week, I have gift cards and a spare 5 days ^_^

Rblade:
the freaking hobbit. I literally can't wait.

It had better be as awesome as it should be :)

I agree the first trailer I saw gave chills. I bet I've listened to the dwarves singing part of the trailer 50 times by now.

O.T: Maybe I'm just squeemish, but the Tarantino movie kinda gave me a no feeling. There's something about a modern day blaxploitation movie that feels kinda crass to me.

Loved this except for one thing.

Did you just compare Return of the Fucking Jedi to Godfather 3 and Spiderman 3???
There is so much wrong in that that I am left speechless.

*runs around waving a pitchfork in angry fangirlfashion*

no this is not about the batman movie rather that you failed to even mention my most anticapited movie of 2012 The Secret World of Arrietty

*goes back on angry rampage*

I, personally, am excited for The Hunger Games. But then again, I'm just a minor. So, bleh.

DVS BSTrD:

chetoos:

DVS BSTrD:
Huh when I first saw the promos for Star Wreck (on this website no less) I actually thought it was an RTS.

Daniel Day Louis as Abraham Lincoln + WIN!

Actually I was going by the fight between Captain America and Thor that they showed for that brief moment in the trailer. I can think of maybe a ruffle over authority, but there is no real conflict between them as characters. Would be more likely to occur If they thought one of them was an undercover agent.

Ah, ok. I can see your train of thought on that, but I believe I have another possible explanation for the fight, 2 now that I think about it:
One: Thor may view Midgardians as inferior to Aesir, and doesn't want to work together as a team, which is what Cap is all about, arguments turn to shouting, shouting turns to hammer against shield
Two, the one I just thought up that probably isn't true: Thor is using Caps unbreakable shield to generate a huge amount of lightning.
Also, the city shots point to a bunch of guys in the sky firing down at the streets, and, as I said before, the Skrull are more "Infiltrate, make them question who their friends are" guys, not "Blow up cities" guys. Just my 2 cents

nice, some of them im really interested to see. looking forward to the alien prequel (forgot the title already) and the lincoln movie and some others which might be interesting to watch.
but im still looking forward for the batman movie. im pretty sure it will be good and worth watching. even when the joker is missing.

Wow, I must live under a rock because I haven't heard of half of the movies on this list (only heard of Wreck-It Ralph and John Carter and anticipate the top 2 movies). Prometheus and Wreck-It Ralph look pretty good. Also, I figured the top 2 spots would be "The Hobbit" and "the Avengers", I just couldn't figure out what order they'd be. I'm pretty psyched for both of those films and the Hunger Games.

I was completely expecting "The Dark Knight Rises" to be the movie that I was supposed to be surprised wasn't on the list. I read the line under the video before watching it and literally went "Oh boy, here it comes. Let's hear the problems with Dark Knight Rises". It obviously won't live up to the Dark Knight to most people because they refuse to give it a chance to. Although I have to admit that Catwoman's costume looks very, I guess "basic" would be the best word and Bane's looks a little silly. And was that "cry-baby hissyfit" bit really necessary? It just sounds like baiting people.

Anyway, I am expecting the Avengers movie to not live up to my (or anyone's) expectations. Oh, it will be awesome, but not nearly as awesome as we are all hoping. (There are just too many things I like about that movie for it to all work out.)

You put the hobbit before the avengers movie, and in first place no less. I was a little worried there for a sec when the avengers came up.

Slightly surprised but very happy. And I do admit, about half those movies I haven't even heard of until now.

As far this comic book movie "debate" all I have to say is, Make Mine Marvel!

The sad thing about the slavery story is that most people forget that when we're talking the 'worst depictions of slavery' we do mean the worst. A lot of these things weren't nearly as common as people think they were, and more people would know this if they bothered studying the pre-civil war era a bit more.

I'm not saying slavery wasn't terrible, because slavery was terrible, but most slave owners weren't evil plantation owners, and most slaves were actually fairly well taken care of and given chances to take care of themselves.

EDIT: As to the list, those are several films I haven't even heard of but am now interested in seeing.

FUCK YEAH, THE HOBBIT COMES OUT TOMORROW (by this I mean this year, which is close enough to tomorrow, right? <3)?!

I personally am dreading the release of the Hobbit. All I've seen so far is the trailer, but all the dark and dramatic imagery, references to the previous films and the fact that it's being dividing into two movies leaves me worried. Not to be all gloom and doom, I just want the movie has the same fun and lighthearted but ultimately moving tone of the book.

Heh. Brave seems kind of. Odd. It doesn't feel like a pixar movie. Doesn't look like one either. I don't know what to think.

To me, The Dark Knight was probably the best movie I had ever seen. Even watched it 3-4x so even though this may not live up to it's reputation, I want to really see The Dark Knight: Rises. Plus look how they made you travel up those buildings seeing the bat pattern.. that's epic!!

And.. Prometheus is actually a prequel to Alien?! What?! *Checks it out on Google* Oh my gosh, how in the world did I miss that?? Thanks Bob for mentioning it, now I shall have to check it out myself pronto. I love the Alien(s) movies, I need to see this!

Whats this money bin?

Ah, you mean our politicians urinal.

Swifteye:
Heh. Brave seems kind of. Odd. It doesn't feel like a pixar movie. Doesn't look like one either. I don't know what to think.

It looks like a Dreamworks movie.

Dana22:

And Finland sided with Nazis in the war against Soviets, so yeah...

In defense of Finland, the Soviet Union started it, and they only ever fought the Soviets. Besides that they were just friends with the Nazi's because they had food. No Jews were persecuted or non-Soviet soldiers attacked.

I think you're forgetting the other Lincoln movie, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Directed by Timur Bekmambetov and produced by Tim Burton. This might just kick Spielberg's ass.

ADD: Finally watched that movie. Made me sad. How could I have written something like this? The book was entertaining and the movie was nothing like it. Story or violence.

xdom125x:
Wow, I must live under a rock because I haven't heard of half of the movies on this list (only heard of Wreck-It Ralph and John Carter and anticipate the top 2 movies). Prometheus and Wreck-It Ralph look pretty good.

lol, dont worry. you think i knew all of them he just named?? no. i knew about the avengers and the hobbit movie and thats pretty much it.

i wouldn't really say that Sky Captain and the world of tomorrow was "underrated" so much as "terrible to the point that it induces projectile vomit".

i was only aware of the existence of 2 movies in that list and, man, i want to see all of them now! they're all looking like fantastic movies, i want to watch all of them... now!
let me just write that list down...

05:28 - "Now don't go into a crybaby hissy fit about it" - Ok I won't *shrugs* was anyone particularily bothered when he said this?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Bane as he is in the comics in more detail Bob, specifically what was bad about the character in Knightfall, if anything about the character was done right and whether your opinion of the character has improved with more recent comics, such as Gail Simone's take on the character in Secret Six.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here