Zero Punctuation: Top 5 of 2011

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Top 5 of 2011

This week, Zero Punctuation runs down the top 5 best and worst games of 2011.

Watch Video

Oh my goodness, always wanted to be the first to comment. Awesome lists. Agree that portal 2 should be the GOTY, my skyrim kept freezing up on me. :(

I absolutely loathed inFamous 2 to no end, it got dragged on so much to the point where I was testing myself to see how far I was willing to go before one of us gave up. I lost.

Woooow, was NOT expecting Portal 2 to be where it is.

Also, Bastion better than Skyrim? =o

I KNEW you really liked portal 2, you coy son of a bitch. People got the impression that you didn't like the game, you've missled literally 10s of people down the wrong path, and now you're putting it right ;)

Sorry Yahtzee,
I asked Santa to deliver the portal gun I got you (because fuck shipping costs) but Tobuscus took it.

That was a close one. I seriously thought he was going to slap Skyward Sword, one of my personal games of the year, up on his list of bottom 5 for the year, considering the thrashing he gave it.

Maybe I should try Driver: San Francisco...

I was actually a bit surprised at seeing Red Faction: Armageddon on the list. While it wasn't great or anything, I thought it was decent fun, and probably the most "surprising" games of last year. Then again, I am a bit Red Faction fan...

I'd personally put Mindjack as my worst game of 2011. I'm sure there were worse games, but that was just the one I enjoyed the least.
... Now that I think about it, I really don't think Yahtzee is the slightest bit interested in hearing my opinion.

And a happy new year to you.

Now I'm going to make a sandwich.

Nice festive end to that video. *pulls trigger*

Skyrim definitely gets more praise then it deserves (especially in the graphics department), so putting it anywhere below the top is warrented.

I can't decide what was worse about this video.
The fact that you felt it was necessary to slow down to calmly and directly state that this list is based on your own subjective opinion.
Or the fact that someone will still inevitably say you're wrong about how you felt about at least one of these games.

Here's to another year of you being awesome Yahtzee. Cheers.

Dear god the lag you create, Yhatzee.

But this is actually a really good list. I'm kinda suprised that Driver and Portal 2 weren't the other way around, though, because that was the impression I got.

And, also, Mindjack at #5 in your Worst Of? That was a bit weird, considering how clear you made it last time - For the uninitated, he said -

"Mindjack is FUCKING. FUCKING. FUCKING. FUCKING. BAD. BAD.BAD. BAD. DONT. DONT. DONT. DONT. PLAY IT."

And neither of the Overdone Shooter Installment Three games garnered that sort of ire. Odd.

There's "realistic" shooters which are all about the jingoism and shit and then there are realistic shooters that are spinoffs of military training systems and properly cast you as the dunce who's the first to get shot in the face because your sorry civilian ass wouldn't know proper battle tactics if it was given a Sun Tzu enema.

If you wanted a present, you should've sent me a list. Also, liked that you put Portal 2 up there, when my friends and I picked it up, we played the thing straight through in a single sitting and we were cracking up the entire time.

Dont agree with Portal 2 being number one specifically because of replayability (odds on he voted it number one because of its focus towards single player). Also dont agree with the worst selection, cod and battlefield do what they do and people enjoy it, a game should be based on how it performs as a game and not on what the overlords (activision and EA respectively) do with it. Apart from that it was an amusing video :p I am suprised Gears 3 didnt get on the bottom list :/ Or Brink for that matter!

Von Strimmer:
Dont agree with Portal 2 being number one specifically because of replayability (odds on he voted it number one because of its focus towards single player). Also dont agree with the worst selection, cod and battlefield do what they do and people enjoy it, a game should be based on how it performs as a game and not on what the overlords (activision and EA respectively) do with it. Apart from that it was an amusing video :p I am suprised Gears 3 didnt get on the bottom list :/ Or Brink for that matter!

He did state it was subjective, and I largely agree with him on most of his lists.

Bit surprised Arkham City wasn't on top 5, but he did like inFamous 2 too, so...yeah.

no deus ex or batman?

Woo! Driver SF getting some recognition! It deserves it! And I can also say as a very big racing game fan that the handling does feel good. It's not the best in the world, of course, but it sits comfortably in the bracket of "very good".

Also, yay for The Escapist completely breaking down under the traffic from a new ZP episode!

I was going to go on a tear about MW3 and how I'm just going to go play "the worst game of 2011" and and much as Yahtzee's unrelenting bashing of multi-player focused titles will earn him the unerring loyalty of a thousand screaming children, but I just don't even care anymore.

Welp, 3 games I own made the top 5 and none made the the bottom 5, so I guess I should feel vindicated or something.

Still, I am surprised that Skyward Sword and Dragon Age II managed to avoid the swing of the axe.

Good choice on the Nr. 1 Turd and for exactly the right reason.

Grimfolse:
Welp, 3 games I own made the top 5 and none made the the bottom 5, so I guess I should feel vindicated or something.

Still, I am surprised that Skyward Sword and Dragon Age II managed to avoid the swing of the axe.

While I got the impression he wasn't very imoressed with DA2, he still didn't dislike it, and actually did CARE for the characters, so why would he put it in bottom 5. No indicationin why he should do that

No mention of Deus Ex? Shame, it was really good. I'm also surprised he didn't mention Minecraft under his top games either, since the review was thoroughly positive.

I havent even watched it yet, but The Escapist needs to fix the front page. I only found this by chance (browsing through the latest section).

Was it just me or did we have a higher percentage of ejaculation-based imagery than usual? Just checking :P

Let's see. Skyrim as Number 5? Interesting for sure, but shouldn't it be higher? well, I guess that is 'peer pressure' for you. I played it 80 hours, then was done.

Mindjack? Haven't really heard of it. Is that what you did in the new Driver game? Hmm.

inFamous 2 looked awesome, but having never wanted or played a PlayStation 3 (apart from once in 2006.) I just thought it'd looked awesome, but never played.

Red Faction just get's worse and worse every year, doesn't it? 1 was fine, 2 was... terrible.

Bastion is the game that EVERYBODY has video'd themselfs playing. Apart from me. Didn't play it. Couldn't stand it. Looks fine though.

Dead Island was terrible. Hated it. I liked it for the first hour or so, but then I was just.. Done. Guns in that game? Where? Really?

Driver San Fran, as referenced earlier, is another game that I haven't played. Although the whole ' Your in a Coma' made me go 'Oh! That's AWESOME!'

Duke Nukem Forever cost me 3. I can't complain about that I'm afraid. Oh, and it works on my Macbook Air.

Portal 2 was pretty great, but I knew that I'd need a guide to get through the damn thing. Me and a friend played through as he suffered from a hang over.

Never played Modern Warefare 3, never planned on it either. I guess it's because I had all of my friends sit around me coming over the single player trailer, just disgusting.

On the other hand? I pre-ordered BF3 and was charged for it without my knowledge. Ofcourse, it arrived the day before release, I shoved it in everyone's faces then refused to play it till the day after. that's just how I roll. 10 hours later, and I have every achievement from the single player under my belt. Unfortunately, I haven't got around to playing it since, which is a real shame as it does look good. I'm planning on picking it up for the PC some time soon.

There's my thoughts on Yahtzee's thoughts on the top games of 2011. Thank you, and good night.

deshorty:
Agree that portal 2 should be the GOTY, my skyrim kept freezing up on me. :(

I'm surprised not only about Portal 2 (though Yatzee did call it "good", possibly "very good" because of a secret love for Wheatley or GLaDOS finding her soul and subsequently deleting it), but Skyrim FREEZES? I thought Bethesda was over "New Vegas" levels of glitchiness! I thought that Skyrim's worst bugs were along the lines of "hovering ground ladies" or spinning horsemen (as seen in a Youtube video).

Has anyone else had serious glitches with Skyrim? I'm starting to doubt whether I should get it if it's going to crash on me.

On a happier note, I'm glad that Minecraft got an honorable mention and Rage got a dishonorable mention.

I didnt really like Skyrim, but even I thought it deserved a higher place up the list than bloody portal 2, seriously.

Agreed with Driver though, it even hit me with some surprise after I bought it thanks to your nod.

Did anyone else find it kinda funny that as Yahtzee ripped on the realistic shooters, an ad for realistic shooters surrounded the video? Just me? Okay.

Anyways, glad to see Bastion made the list. It's one of the few games I gladly 100%'ed, simply because all of the unlocks were gratifying and easy to make (with the exception of evoking all 10 idols for the Who Knows Where sections).

Every year there's that one game that I DON'T regret buying. In 2011, that game was portal 2. Good choice.

Xman490:
Skyrim FREEZES? I thought Bethesda was over "New Vegas" levels of glitchiness! I thought that Skyrim's worst bugs were along the lines of "hovering ground ladies" or spinning horsemen (as seen in a Youtube video).

Has anyone else had serious glitches with Skyrim? I'm starting to doubt whether I should get it if it's going to crash on me.

If you're on the PC, wait for the modders to fix it.

If you have a 360, play it for 10 mins at a time so it doesn't melt.

If you have a ps3, avoid it like the plague.

They say patch 1.4 will "address" it which means that they can't "fix" it.

I'm guessing they didn't send Yhatzee the ps3 copy...
Oh yea, he's a reviewer.

I literally laughed out loud at the controller sticking to his face due to the analogue sticks being up his nose.

As for Sebastian, I really wanted to like it, what with how awesome the narrator was, but the game itself was so...Flat.

Gha, finally the forum works again.

OT: Dead island is way to low on that list! Most likely the only game I have bought that I only had frustrations with. To this day I still feel ashamed I payed full price for it T.T"

"#3 Bad: Shitting the bed while your girlfriend is over.
#2 good: Shitting the bed while your girlfriend is over and dicovering she is into that kinda thing."

That was fucking hilarious.

Yahtzee, how am I meant to get you a present if I don't know where you live? It's not like I'll stalk you or anything. Looking in through your windows, hoping to glimpse whatever fuels that creative snarkiness.

Rossmallo:

"Mindjack is FUCKING. FUCKING. FUCKING. FUCKING. BAD. BAD.BAD. BAD. DONT. DONT. DONT. DONT. PLAY IT."

And neither of the Overdone Shooter Installment Three games garnered that sort of ire. Odd.

Yeah, I thought Mindjack and Hunted: the demon's forge would be fighting for bottom place.

And while maybe these shooters didn't deserve the ire they got, it that's what it takes to shock the developers and community into avoiding endless rip-offs, I'm happy.

Alex_Lives:
no deus ex or batman?

Extra punctuation. Next Tuesday.

Danny91:
Was it just me or did we have a higher percentage of ejaculation-based imagery than usual? Just checking :P

That's funny, I hadn't thought of that unil- OH GOD!! IT BURNS!! IT BURNS MY BRAIN!!! KILL MEEEEE!!!!!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here