Zero Punctuation: Top 5 of 2011

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Xman490:

Has anyone else had serious glitches with Skyrim? I'm starting to doubt whether I should get it if it's going to crash on me.

They game's had serious glitch reports all over the place. I'm waiting.

1nfinite_Cros5:
Did anyone else find it kinda funny that as Yahtzee ripped on the realistic shooters, an ad for realistic shooters surrounded the video? Just me? Okay.

No, I found it funny. Understandable, since the author of an article and the company that publishes it aren't always on the same page, but funny nontheless.

Oh look, another captcha. Right after the last two.

yponse Schrödinger

So glad I use US international. Makes it easy to write an ö.

While I'm happy Portal 2 seems to be getting some much deserved appreciation, the only thing I could think of coming out, is just how amazed I am that Call of Juarez: The Cartel didn't make the 5 worst list. I swear he seemed angrier in that review then he did at anything else that came out during the year.

- Omni ^_^

I object the lack of fighting games in The Escapists tops and reviews.

All I'm getting is a 404 page :'(

And some of the most revolting mental imagery you've ever done. Bravo.

You took the words right our of the mouth Yahtzee, we should have demos instead of trailers, but what can we say? Trailers make for great marketing.

Huh, Skyrim is #5 on your list? I thought it would at least be #3 or something but then again this is your list so I have no say as to what should be where. However, I have to agree with you on the first overall choice.

I haven't played Battlefield 3 (well I played the demo but I really disliked how far I spawned away and by the time I reached the right place to fight in, I would get sniped miles away with no way to see the enemy.) yet I have played MW3 which.. yeah, I don't want the series to continue. This should be their last game because I can't see how they can continue without making it very similar or somewhat.

You know for a second I was going to say that Deus Ex should be on the list but since I honestly forgot about the game until it was mentioned here in the comments section, same with Arkham City I've invalidated my own argument in my opinion.

I am also happy to hear that someone else hates these 'realistic shooters' as much as I do.

GonzoGamer:
Every year there's that one game that I DON'T regret buying. In 2011, that game was portal 2. Good choice.

Xman490:
Skyrim FREEZES? I thought Bethesda was over "New Vegas" levels of glitchiness! I thought that Skyrim's worst bugs were along the lines of "hovering ground ladies" or spinning horsemen (as seen in a Youtube video).

Has anyone else had serious glitches with Skyrim? I'm starting to doubt whether I should get it if it's going to crash on me.

If you're on the PC, wait for the modders to fix it.

If you have a 360, play it for 10 mins at a time so it doesn't melt.

If you have a ps3, avoid it like the plague.

They say patch 1.4 will "address" it which means that they can't "fix" it.

I'm guessing they didn't send Yhatzee the ps3 copy...
Oh yea, he's a reviewer.

I have a PS3 copy of Skyrim and I haven't run into any glitches or freezes yet, I don't know where all this is coming from but I must have been really lucky to be 40 hours in and not run into any glitches (well, aside from that dragon that got stuck on the bridge of the College of Winterhold and being able to walk through it)

Yahtzee, you cavernous hole! Good list. You are wrong about a game needing to stand on it's single-player element. I, like you, play games to have fun. I lurrrrv the multiplayer of "Realistic" shooters, (for the most part.) I rarely bother with the single-player. I just can't be buggered to care about single-player elements in "Realistic" shooters when there's a world of twelve-year-olds out there ready to test the limits of their imaginations in fictional, sexual conquest of my mother.

Josh12345:

GonzoGamer:
Every year there's that one game that I DON'T regret buying. In 2011, that game was portal 2. Good choice.

Xman490:
Skyrim FREEZES? I thought Bethesda was over "New Vegas" levels of glitchiness! I thought that Skyrim's worst bugs were along the lines of "hovering ground ladies" or spinning horsemen (as seen in a Youtube video).

Oh yea, he's a reviewer.

I have a PS3 copy of Skyrim and I haven't run into any glitches or freezes yet, I don't know where all this is coming from but I must have been really lucky to be 40 hours in and not run into any glitches (well, aside from that dragon that got stuck on the bridge of the College of Winterhold and being able to walk through it)

You're either really lucky or you haven't played it long enough. I'm hearing that the real lag & freezing starts anywhere from 60-100 hrs in.
Also, I hear that people who just play through the story missions and don't do too much exploring wont run into too many problems.
I'm going to rent it and if I'm one of the lucky people who don't have problems, I'll keep it. But judging on my experience with other Bethesda titles, I'll be sending it back after a couple of weeks.

The_root_of_all_evil:

And some of the most revolting mental imagery you've ever done. Bravo.

Well I think his Black Ops review still takes the prize if this were a contest.

Also I had hoped Batman would be where Infamous 2 was but whatever it was a good enough list. And even for comedic effect saying that mankind deserves to die over a preference of video games make me angry.

OmniscientOstrich:
While I'm happy Portal 2 seems to be getting some much deserved appreciation, the only thing I could think of coming out, is just how amazed I am that Call of Juarez: The Cartel didn't make the 5 worst list. I swear he seemed angrier in that review then he did at anything else that came out during the year.

- Omni ^_^

Oh, I remember that.

"THERE IS NO MIDDLE FINGER BIG ENOUGH!!"

"Right back at ya, Call of Juarez, the Cartel. I'd through you in the bin, but I worry it'd attract crime scene investigators"

Call of Duty and Battlefield were worse than Duke Nukem Forever...I think Yahtzee is letting his hatred of military shooters get the better of him.

I have to admit Yahtzee, I'm really glad you're promoting Driver: San Francisco as much as you are. I picked it up because of your review (also because of CheapyD from CheapAssGamer), and it easily wound up one of my favorites of the year. Highly underrated.

This is why I can never take Yahtzee seriously as a game critic despite the fact that I love his "reviews" and look forward to them every week.

I mean, BF3 and MW3 are your worse games of the year? Worse than Mindjack, DNF, and the new Red Faction that effectively killed it's franchise? Not to mention the other games you reviewed and hated like Brink and Call of Juarez: The Cartel? Really? I mean I'm not the biggest fan of those games (Black Ops > MW3, KZ3 > BF3) but it just comes across as him making a rather tone-deaf statement than saying they're really that bad. Like a stuffy movie critic naming a big-budget 3D movie as their worse film of the year because it's in 3D.

To me Yahtzee is no different then a comedian riffing on whatever movie he just saw. Sure it's funny and he brings up a few decent points, but are you really suppose to take his opinion seriously? No, you're not, and if you do you're an idiot.

Gorilla Gunk:
This is why, although I thoroughly enjoy Yahtzee's "reviews," I can never take him seriously as a game critic.

I mean, BF3 and MW3 are your worse games of the year? Worse than Mindjack, DNF, and the new Red Faction that effectively killed it's franchise? Not to mention the other games you reviewed and hated like Brink and Dragon Age II? Really? I mean I'm not the biggest fan of those games (Black Ops > MW3, KZ3 > BF3) but it just comes across as him making a rather tone-deaf statement than saying they're really that bad. Like a stuffy movie critic naming a big-budget 3D movie as their worse film of the year because it's in 3D.

To me Yahtzee is no different then a comedian riffing on whatever movie he just saw. Sure it's funny and he brings up a few decent points, but are you really suppose to take his opinion seriously? No, you're not, and if you do you're an idiot.

Hey fuck you dont call me an idiot

oops came out double

If all you care about is the single player, then yes, MW3 and BF3 were shit. Whether or not they're worth "worst game of the year" is, of course, open for debate, but I agree with that it's nice to see someone say that gunwank-rereleases with tacked-on single player modes that get rereleased every year isn't something people should copy.

nice to see Bastion up there :] I loved that game

still, Yahtzee's been cranky lately. maybe he'll find a[nother] woman in 2012 to cheer him up
and the next Call of Duty will be his #1 best game of 2012

Thanks Mr Y! inFamous 2 is my game of 2011, so seeing it on your top 5 list makes me all warm and fuzzy!

And no, I didn't drink your cider (but I'm sure you tucked into my vodka!)

I still haven't got my mum a present, you greedy cunt!

And happy new year!

The fact that the turtle beach ad surrounding the video had the very words "The ultimate MW3 Experience" made this episode my favorite so far!

Too bad I don't own any of those games that are on both good/bad list. Eventually I will play some of those games on the good list (and Duke Nukem Forever from the bad list).

Mindjack deserve to be on the list. I had thoughts about playing Dead Island, but the numerous comments on how buggy it was took me away from it. And only Yahtzee would have the balls to say CoD: MW 3 and Battlefied 3 are the worst (in his list).

Finally, someone who doesn't have Skyrim as the "best game of the year".

One of the best games of the year, sure. Most definitely. But "the" best? Hell no. I don't get why so many of the fans out there are just willing to let Bethesda slide on the egregious number of bugs that plague the game. Since when did we reward flawed or failed game design? "Oh, that's just what Bethesda does. So it's okay." Uh, no it's not.

I also fail to see how calling a game "game of the year" and praising the dev behind it makes sense when the primary claim to it's greatness is the community made mods. The developer didn't make them. The community did. How about we praise the community for it's creativeness and, more importantly, it's intelligence in fixing some of the worst bugs about the game. (bugs Bethesda has yet to address)

Regardless, moving on. I'm actually surprised to not see Arkham City in that list somewhere. If I recall correctly, Yahtzee rather enjoyed it. I guess it just wasn't enough. Oh well.

Oh, and anyone who was surprised to see Driver and Portal 2 in his top two slots should be ashamed. Saw those picks coming before I clicked play.

Unhappy Crow:
only Yahtzee would have the balls to say CoD: MW 3 and Battlefied 3 are the worst (in his list).

Yahtzee and every other boring non conformist on these forums. You don't hang around here much, do you?

Gorilla Gunk:
This is why I can never take Yahtzee seriously as a game critic despite the fact that I love his "reviews" and look forward to them every week.

I mean, BF3 and MW3 are your worse games of the year? Worse than Mindjack, DNF, and the new Red Faction that effectively killed it's franchise? Not to mention the other games you reviewed and hated like Brink and Call of Juarez: The Cartel? Really? I mean I'm not the biggest fan of those games (Black Ops > MW3, KZ3 > BF3) but it just comes across as him making a rather tone-deaf statement than saying they're really that bad. Like a stuffy movie critic naming a big-budget 3D movie as their worse film of the year because it's in 3D.

Personally, I always stamp Yahtzee's critiques with a big, red, mental "For entertainment purposes only". However, the word "idiot" has become so grotesquely overused on the Internet, it doesn't really have any real meaning anymore. There is always some person, somewhere, in some forum that labels everyone who has X, does Y, or enjoys Z as being an idiot. The end result of all these different statements is that if you breathe, have a pulse, and can be classified as some variation of a human being, then you are an idiot.

I cannot +1 hard enough at the game trailers without game play sentiment. Just why bother. I don't care about you amazing story line if I cannot see that you have gameplay to back it up.

Surprised that Call of Juarez: the Cartel didn't make the worst of list.

But..... But..... I got you a waffle! (>;_;)>#

Loved the list! Though I'm a bit surprised Jew Sex: Human Revolution wasn't on there.

GonzoGamer:

Xman490:

Oh yea, he's a reviewer.

Can't fix what is fundamentally a hardware issue. Unless they send someone in your house to shove more RAM into your PS3 it is quite likely that there won't be any massive improvement.

Another great installment. I almost thought to myself when i read the site general GOTY awards where was portal 2 in this? Great list for great reasons.

Gorilla Gunk:

Did you miss the part where Yahtzee said that he didn't hate the games because there was anything wrong with them as far as gameplay goes?

Hum, let's see here...
Top:
1) The Witcher 2
2) L.A. Noire
3) Space Pirates and Zombies
4) Portal 2
5) Battlefield 3 (Multiplayer)
with some consideration for Terraria, Magicka and Saint's Row: The Third as Co-Op games...

I actually thought Dead Island was another rather solid and fun CoOp game, been playing it with 1/2 other people for about 27 hours now and got to the last Act (The Prison), the only bugs I've seen so far is dialogue constantly skipping for no reason, which is rather annoying...
But I just bought it a few weeks ago, so all the Patches were in operation when we started playing it.
Generally been a lot more into CoOp games lately, and even some "not so good" games like FEAR 3 and Hunted: Demon's Forge were pretty enjoyable when not playing alone.

Worst:
1) Dragon Age 2
2) Lost Planet 2
3) Dungeon Defenders
4) Dino D-Day
5) Dungeon Siege III

Still got a few more games on my "To Play" list like Deus Ex: HR, Batman: AC, RAGE, Crysis 2, Duke Nukem Forever (maybe) and a few others so dunno about that.

OuendanCyrus:
I absolutely loathed inFamous 2 to no end, it got dragged on so much to the point where I was testing myself to see how far I was willing to go before one of us gave up. I lost.

Woooow, was NOT expecting Portal 2 to be where it is.

Also, Bastion better than Skyrim? =o

Someone clearly didn't listen to the part where he said this was subjective based on what games he had most fun with.

OT: I discussed this with a friend and I guessed he would have Driver either as number 2 or number 3. I thought he would have Duke Nukem Forever as number 1, but I guess the ones he put there was kinda predictable too though. I love watching Yahtzee's top 5/bottom 5. It combines his most positive comments with his most negative ones in the same video. Simply brilliant.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here