Zero Punctuation: Top 5 of 2011

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

METC:
That was a close one. I seriously thought he was going to slap Skyward Sword, one of my personal games of the year, up on his list of bottom 5 for the year, considering the thrashing he gave it.

Maybe I should try Driver: San Francisco...

The shittiest Zelda game is nowhere near bad. Zelda is like pizza: at it's worst, it's still pretty damn good.

I am totally mystified by his comment on dark souls. What does that metaphor even mean? I have seriously been trying for like a few days to figure this out. Cool episode though, besides the mental breakdown that ensued.

UkuleleSlayer:
I am totally mystified by his comment on dark souls. What does that metaphor even mean? I have seriously been trying for like a few days to figure this out. Cool episode though, besides the mental breakdown that ensued.

That even though people claim the Green Lantern is "teh worst game evaaarrrrr!" and Dark Souls is "best game evaaaahhhhrrr!" he can't put them on his list because he didn't play them.

Aside from Duke Nukem Forever, I have yet to play any of the games on this list, so im afraid I don't really have a lot to say other than happy new year Yahtzee. Hope 2012 works out better for you...and me.

MSfire012:
I really get sad when someone says that Yahtzee is wrong or that he can't be taken seriosly. Is like they're saying a game critic can't be harsh, or have a different opinion. Can you imagine how better the game industrie would be if every player and critic was as harsh as Yahtzee? A lot.

Yeah, that confuses me.

Someone you're describing:

"WAAA WAAA STOP THINKING OTHER THINGS TO ME BECAUSE THAT'S WRONG WAAA!!

There are a frankly unreal number of people who can't deal with other people's opinions. I mean, these are opinions! They only exist in other people's heads! *sigh*

I'm kinda surprised he didn't put Crysis 2 in, considering the praise he gave it in his review

MSfire012:
I really get sad when someone says that Yahtzee is wrong or that he can't be taken seriosly. Is like they're saying a game critic can't be harsh, or have a different opinion. Can you imagine how better the game industrie would be if every player and critic was as harsh as Yahtzee? A lot.

Yahtzee isn't simply being harsh, he's intentionally making the games he reviews sound like shit by accentuating the negatives. He's funny, sure, but his reviews are clearly mostly for comedy purposes. If you want to see harsh done right, watch Angry Joe's reviews. He brings up both the negatives and the positives, likes multiplayer and is not averse to any given genre of games.

So I'm guessing the COW and BF3 fan boys like crying a lot because someone told them their games suck lol

Noxshadow:
I was going to go on a tear about MW3 and how I'm just going to go play "the worst game of 2011" and and much as Yahtzee's unrelenting bashing of multi-player focused titles will earn him the unerring loyalty of a thousand screaming children, but I just don't even care anymore.

That's weird, cause "thousand screaming children" is the multiplayer market.

blindthrall:

Noxshadow:
I was going to go on a tear about MW3 and how I'm just going to go play "the worst game of 2011" and and much as Yahtzee's unrelenting bashing of multi-player focused titles will earn him the unerring loyalty of a thousand screaming children, but I just don't even care anymore.

That's weird, cause "thousand screaming children" is the multiplayer market.

THIS... is the best thing I've read all week.

Markunator:

MSfire012:

Yahtzee isn't simply being harsh, he's intentionally making the games he reviews sound like shit by accentuating the negatives. He's funny, sure, but his reviews are clearly mostly for comedy purposes. If you want to see harsh done right, watch Angry Joe's reviews. He brings up both the negatives and the positives, likes multiplayer and is not averse to any given genre of games.

He does give praise when it it due. Rare to find games that are praise worthy anymore. And as many before me have pointed out, and will continue to point out, multiplayer is as subjective as one can possibly get. You either have a wonderful time, or have a shitty time, and both of those are correct.

I really think Dragon age 2 should have made it into the bottom 5 it was by far (for me) the most disappointing game of the year.

What the heck was that? ZP has always been a little juvenille with the humor (and damn funny), but that was just a long string of digusting jokes about bodily fluids.

I hadn't watched in a couple of months--have been like this for awhile now or was he just really off this time?

none of my presents was MLP FIM themed, so I didnt get presents either.

watching his choice for #5 worst in a video pane which was enframed by a huge ad for a ridiculous looking MW3 themed headset made my irony bone tingle

I don't get where all the hate for the PS3 comes from. In my personal experience, I can't play an Xbox. I've owned 3 of them and each one has had one disc in it for less than ten hours before exploding. True story.

I'm four characters into Skyrim, each between 50-80 hours (I have a lot of spare time on my hands) and haven't hit any glitches at all. And I'm usually very keen on catching them, like this glitch I'm experiencing on this website right now where every three characters I type, the reply box grows a line. 0_0

Glad to see CoD and Battlefield make the worst of the year list. I am so fucking bored with all these modern warfare games. Same shit every time.

WDK89:
Glad to see CoD and Battlefield make the worst of the year list. I am so fucking bored with all these modern warfare games. Same shit every time.

I'm just going to guess you haven't played Battlefield 3's multiplayer. Play it first, criticize it afterwards. And the Battlefield series is not just the same shit every time.

Didn't expect Skyrim on 5, Portal 2 was a welcome dicovery I guess.

Maybe the Bottom 5 were, instead of the games that were the least fun, the games that Yatzee wishes more and more didn't exist.
Mindjack wasn't too hated, since the "mind hacking" dragged the game beyond pure genericness.
Red Faction Armageddon had a terrible plot and lost track of destructo-physics.
Dead Island is at least one zombie game too far.
Duke Nukem Forever "should never be released, because nothing they produce could live up to 13 years of anticipation!"
BF3 and MW3 are absolutely unnecessary, given that their predecessors have enough weapons (as in THEY DO).

haha, yet another review stating that realistic shooters are the downfall of the gaming industry, i agree with yahtzee

haha, yet another review stating that realistic shooters are the downfall of the gaming industry, i agree with yahtzee

I just realized that, once again, 3 of the Top 5 are sandbox games. This time, they are Skyrim, inFamous 2 (or Minecraft, which still counts), and Driver (maybe).
Frankly, the freedom to explore a 3D world with items and dangers popping up here and there is a great element for a game.

Great way to describe the narrator in Bastion.

All this hype around mw3 and battlebleh 3 made me despair a bit. Seems 12 yr olds rule the market.
Also, I love cider! Thought id put it out there in the spirit of solidarity.

I like the 13 reference

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or