Miracle of Sound: Back in Time (Prince of Persia)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Back in Time (Prince of Persia)

Take me back in time. (Spoiler Warning for Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and Two Thrones)

Watch Video

Wow! You really captured the setting of Prince of Persia with your ambient and background music! Love it!

Nice one, dude! Took me a while to get into the melody, but the track's got a good overall groove.
Love the clever story reference in the chorus... 'the first follows the last', indeed. :)

... you know, it's been ages since I played this trilogy. I think it's high time I got the HD collection for my PS3.

Ha...I saw the title and thought for a split second that you might be doing a bluegrass Prince of Persia song. Anyway, another good song, man. I need to play this game again. It's been a loooooooooong time.

Great work! You never fail to surprise me with what you can do for each game. I think this is best listened to more than once to take it all in. Always looking forward to your songs.

P.S. Maybe not so much with this song but with your louder ones, how do you record them without annoying the neighbours. I assume you live in a flat since you said you live in Dublin, so I imagine some people can hear you, are they just very supportive or do you just sound-proof your flat?

P.P.S. Got Level 1 in December and it kicks ass! Rivalling Children of Bodom's album for best last year.

P.P.P.S. You so need to form a band and do shows, it would be even more preferable if you could move to London so I could see you... please.

Edit: Not that it matters, but the lyrics in the description don't match what you sing in one line. I'll let you figure out which ;) thought you might want to know

Great job! This is probably one of my favourites of recent. I love the mixing of the Arabian themes with modern rock and metal tones.

I just heard that intro and knew this was going to be good. Very nicely done Gavin, nicely done indeed. If I have any qualms with this it would be that it seems to end rather suddenly; it seems as if it's going to pick up again but instead cuts out completely. That said, I really did enjoy the song!

Good one.
This Arabic-like rhythm. I think i've heard something very similar. If i may ask - were you influenced by something ? Was there any particular song you tried to uhhhhhh, reinvent ? :)

That was good, really good. Reminded me of Brothers Of The Creed at some points. I could tell I was going to like this one after hearing the first five seconds. ^_^

I've been meaning to ask this: Do you take requests for songs/games to sing about?

Ahh... memories. And another good song, to boot. Loved the Arabian feel to it, very nicely done! (Not quite on the same level of extreme-awesomeness as "Brothers Of The Creed" though)

You should really upload some music to the BBC's "Introducing" page. If you fire an "I Suck At Call Of Duty" at them, you may just get the British masses hooked!

So it wasn't Geometry Wars? *laughs* I'm shocked.

Actually I really love this song!!! I can see you've tried not to do a little repeaty thing. (My brain is fried today but I do really want to tell you I love this song so I'm working through it!)

Cookie for you!!!!

Didn't quite like it. Dunno why. Maybe because I didn't play the game. But still, on its merits song just fells unpolished. Some sounds mashups cut my ear and line "Take me back in time" really sounds off, like it's breaks the flow of the song. Or maybe that's just my first impression and it's false.

Great song. And I see (or hear, rather) that you made you're voice sound even more girly. Quite the accomplishment!

hur hur

But seriously, well done. Another great one, can't wait to buy it.

On occasion I listen to Arabic music and I gotta say you matched the style pretty spot on. I liked this a lot, and the female vocals really flowed well too, really did give it that sound.

The chorus is about four lines too short. Otherwise, definitely a good one. And you should get guest artists more often, especially like you did in Sweet LA.

Lexxicator:
Didn't quite like it. Dunno why. Maybe because I didn't play the game.

This is definitely one that's better appreciated if you've played the game. The whole finale sequence is really only going to make sense if you have.

I saw the title of the video and thought "Oh, hell yes!" Heard the first 10 seconds and thought "Oh, hell yes!" again.Great Song, Gav. Loved the awesome Arabian vibe.

If I have one thing to critique, though, it would be that the chorus of the song is too short. I loved it when I heard that high, staccato "Take me BACK IN TIME," and I immediately wanted to hear it again, but then the second verse started instead, and I felt disappointed that I would have to wait another 40 seconds or so before the chorus came up again.

I know that some of your songs in the past have gotten criticized for supposedly being too repetitive, and I wonder if maybe you've started bending over backwards to avoid that criticism. I understood the reasoning when you retroactively chopped the chorus in half for Brothers of the Creed, as that was the most criticized. But then you went and did the same thing for The New Black Gold, and now this song feels like it only has half of a chorus.

When I reach the main chorus of a song, I always want time to savor it, so it feels to me like you're getting in the habit of not giving your choruses enough room to stretch their legs. I'm probably wrong on this, but I just want to make sure you're not trimming your songs too much for fear of "being too repetitive." For what it's worth, I thought the uncut "Brothers of the Creed" was awesome. Anyway, that's just my 10 cents.

Spaceparanoid42:

If I have one thing to critique, though, it would be that the chorus of the song is too short. I loved it when I heard that high, staccato "Take me BACK IN TIME," and I immediately wanted to hear it again, but then the second verse started instead, and I felt disappointed that I would have to wait another 40 seconds or so before the chorus came up again.

Phlakes:
The chorus is about four lines too short.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't ;)

MiracleOfSound:

Spaceparanoid42:

Phlakes:

The internet's a tough crowd, I guess (EDIT: I don't actually guess, it's internet nature). It probably would've sounded good having those four lines and then a longer, varied one or two transitioning to the next verse. Then we get more delicious chorus and no one on your case for repetition.

At least that what I see from a completely casual and unprofessional perspective.

I honestly did not like this. I saw the mood you were going for but I don't know it just sounded.... off? (Brothers of the Creed did too but i couldn't finish that song.) I havent played the games so I can't really judge the lyrics or if the tone is right. Though I have loved other songs you have done of games I have not played.

I never played Prince of Persia, so I guess I'm not a fair judge of the main point of this, but, as far as the music itself goes, it's a fairly high quality song. Well done as always.

Love it! :D

I haven't played much of Prince of Persia, but from what i've played i'll say that in my opinion it realy fits the game pretty damn well.

And hey, now you've got a song where the arabic-styled melody doesn't seem misplaced to anyone :P

Tell me doctor, where are we going this time?
Is this the 50s or 1999?

Arabic undertone and guitars? Oh do sign me up!

Bought your album 'Level 1' the other day on BandCamp.
My my, driving to work has never been so much musical, but now it is :3

This musical interlude gave the impervious Doctor Knight Baron of the noble Seven Sons family a shiver so frantic and gyrating that his weapon of choice, a claymore of bacon, gained sentience and proceeded with - throwing caution and table manners out the window - gobbling itself up after solving the Lehmer's Mahler Measure Problem. It was inevitable, because bacon.

Though it felt like it was on the short side; I really enjoyed this one. Lorna brought some great chilling vocals up in 'ere!

Oh, the female vocal is really good actually. It's different. I LOVE IT!
I think this totally captured the Prince of Persia vibe. Gav, you genius.

Ulquiorra4sama:

And hey, now you've got a song where the arabic-styled melody doesn't seem misplaced to anyone :P

I'm just waiting for someone to tell me it doesn't fit... lol. Given some of the criticisms I've had recently it wouldn't even surprise me.

AbstractStream:
Oh, the female vocal is really good actually. It's different. I LOVE IT!

That's my real life buddy Lorna, she's a great singer :)

CounterAttack:

I've been meaning to ask this: Do you take requests for songs/games to sing about?

Yes, if enough people ask for it!

Knusper:

P.S. Maybe not so much with this song but with your louder ones, how do you record them without annoying the neighbours. I assume you live in a flat since you said you live in Dublin, so I imagine some people can hear you, are they just very supportive or do you just sound-proof your flat?

I've been quite lucky actually, never had any complaints from the neighbours. The only time it's really noisy is when I record the vocals, everything else is reasonably quiet. I try to do that during times when everyone is likely to be out at work!

Yay! Now I have an almost uncontrollable desire to play the series again.
Great song.

I'm awe-struck how you managed to capture the key elements of the POP:SoT soundtrack, but still made it your own...

MiracleOfSound:

Spaceparanoid42:

Phlakes:

Lol yeah, I know. I'm sorry! It is a pretty tough line to walk, isn't it? You get flak on either side. But hey, my problems with the song don't change the fact that it's awesome, I've listened to it half a dozen times already, and I can't wait to buy it on itunes! And you know, I think that's your music in a nutshell. No matter what criticism it picks up, it's so good that all of us will always come back for more.

I was worried the video footage would be of the crappy newer games.
Glad to see Sands of Time instead.

I read the title and the first thing that came to mind was this:

I would have been impressed if you did a parody song of the Huey Lewis and The News song. Didn't care much for this one but was still good.

Was glad you used as little footage from Warrior Within as you did. I hated that game. Got frustrated at one point and never finished it. "Sand of Time" and "Two Thrones" is where it is at.

And you had me watching the movie again (2010) version. It is quite to my liking so wasn't the first... or the second.... :)

But a good song.

TwistedEllipses:
I'm awe-struck how you managed to capture the key elements of the POP:SoT soundtrack, but still made it your own...

Glad you think so. That was what I wanted to do here, take elements from all 3 games' soundtracks and mix them together :)

MiracleOfSound:

CounterAttack:

Yes, if enough people ask for it!

Huzzah! In that case, would you be interested in a Bastion-themed song?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here