Escape to the Movies: Iron Lady

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Iron Lady

MovieBob shows the pros and cons of Iron Lady.

If you're in the Boston area during the weekend of January 13th, he'll be at Arisia 2012, so stop on by.

Watch Video

So I guess You could say the Iron Lady came off a little...
Rusty

Eh...my desire to see this movie was pretty much solely based on how much complexity and nuance they could convey the subject matter. In other words, my intrest is now dashed...

Merryl Streep is a great actress, but can anyone else not help but notice the similarities between this and her earlier film "The Queen"?

I wish your review surprised me more. Although I wasn't expecting the wacky ghost side kick, so there's that :)

They should do a Mark Thatcher flick next!

Note to self; If I find myself desiring to help prop up the capitalist regime, I'll go watch the Iron Lady and have steam coming out of my ears by the end of it...

Why oh why did I put on a red t-shirt today? :P

I second that Tim Burton comment.

I still haven't forgiven her for selling pretty much all of Britian's gold reserves for around 79p.

Also, the milk.

Never mess with a kid's milk.

This actually made me curious to see it, when I wasn't before...

I've been less than impressed with this movie from the word "GO". Also, I knew the moment that I heard Meryl Streep was the female lead, she was going to get her yearly Oscar-nod, and her semi-annual Gold Statue addition to her Mantle. To me, Meryl's career is like Shyamalan's directing style at this point. She acts in a movie, she's gets Oscar nomination, and every other time or so she gets the Oscar.

As for the political side of the fence; Margaret Thatcher was essentially the Beta version of George W. Bush, except she was in England. Given the lens of time, we know for a FACT that she f***ed her country at the expense of her own ideology. That's slowly starting to become known fact with Good Ol' Georgie.

I have to say that after seeing this I think they focused to much on her eventual mental health issues instead of her policy. Dear Abi Morgan(Writer): Please fix this.

FriendGuy:
Eh...my desire to see this movie was pretty much solely based on how much complexity and nuance they could convey the subject matter. In other words, my intrest is now dashed...

Merryl Streep is a great actress, but can anyone else not help but notice the similarities between this and her earlier film "The Queen"?

"The Queen" (2006) starred Helen Mirren and was directed by Stephen Frears, who considered it a political indictment of the royal family. Not really the same level of film-making.

EDIT: But otherwise, yeah, without much complexity, it just doesn't sound very interesting.

FriendGuy:

Ummm... The Queen was Helen Mirren, not Streep.

EDIT: Crap. kyogen beat me to the punch.

Yeah I pretty much knew I wouldn't watch this regardless. Why? A bit of context for Americans, for people from the north of England, Thatcher is our Bin Laden. No exaggeration.

number2301:
for people from the north of England, Thatcher is our Bin Laden. No exaggeration.

He isn't kidding. Scotland too. In light of recent events it is fast becoming apparent that her ultimate legacy will be the break up of the United Kingdom.

At least The king speach was kinda of a good movie. This just look like a boring oscarbait.

Gallium:

number2301:
for people from the north of England, Thatcher is our Bin Laden. No exaggeration.

He isn't kidding. Scotland too. In light of recent events it is fast becoming apparent that her ultimate legacy will be the break up of the United Kingdom.

Ha! I got the message to say I'd been quoted and was certain someone was going to be accusing me of exaggerating! Guess not ;)

Also, Scotland don't go! I really like our flag :(

DVS BSTrD:
So I guess You could say the Iron Lady came off a little...

Rusty

Completely unfunny and doesn't make sense.

I'm being 'made' to watch this tomorrow, and I'm disappointed to hear there is a focus on suggested mental health issues - and I don't understand why such a direction has been chosen when there is so much material to take advantage of.

I'm assuming the angle of whom I'm accompanying to the cinema tomorrow is that she wishes to be educated (I use the term lightly) due to her having a friend working in the Houses. A good excuse, but I'm now concerned that the massive impact that this incredible woman had on our country (whichever side of the fence you sit on) will be too watered down.

I guess I can update my comment post viewing.

I still like Tim Burton, even if Alice in Wonderland sucked. His other films rock.

I dunno I'm an Australian and was living funnily enough in Australia during the time of Thatcher I was also pretty much at school for the duration. But I dunno I would hardly call her a British George W. She was more a mix of Ragen and Bush senior in terms of policy and despite the unpopularity of her decisions she was hardly unintelligent. The British in those days were alot more ready to go on strike and fight both politically and physically for their rights than most of us are today. Thats what this world needs more of I think more people not just willing to go along with everything and actually stand up and risk a good old fashioned barney with the rozzers. Then again in America there would be a bunch of idiots in the crowd with guns so maybe not good idea.

I'm not British so I don't know much about Thatcher, but I can see why this movie would make people upset. It's stupid to take such a controversial figure and only show one side to their life.

I really like Tim Burton. He has made three or four of my favorite movies ever and I don't think i have seen him make anything that was "bad".(though Alice in Wonderland did come pretty close) So i don't think he should "stop". And no i don't really have anything to say about the real review because I don't know much about her and I wasn't planning on seeing the film anyway.

number2301:
...for people from the north of England, Thatcher is our Bin Laden. No exaggeration.

I'm always an exception.

I think Thatcher is a great woman, on many levels, and I am in sincere agreement with many of the measures she undertook- but I do agree her career was nuanced, complex, and ambiguous than any pandering, two-dimensional schlock like this can make out. This review just sealed my decision- if it's not going to actually engage on the merits or detractions from her career, then it's a waste of time.

Daystar Clarion:
I still haven't forgiven her for selling pretty much all of Britian's gold reserves for around 79p.

That was Gordon Brown, actually.

Iron Lady just smells like Oscar Bait for Streep, I guess it is trying to ride on the wave of success that The Kings Speech created.

It's possible to be a good actress and give a great performance in an otherwise terrible movie. If this movie was made solely for Streep to show off her chops and get an Oscar nom, and the probably win, then more power to it. In fact, I hope it works out in Streep's favor. Then again, I'm in love with Meryl Streep.

Daystar Clarion:

Also, the milk.

It was Brown who sold all the UK's gold at the lowest price it had been for 20 years.

Gallium:

number2301:

Do you really think that that will happen? I'm not so sure most of scotland wants that for scotland... I know I don't ;A;

So yeah Fuck This Movie. You couldn't pay me to see a movie about Thatcher after what she did to where my family is from i.e. a mining village.

I like Streep but no. You can't a film about Thatcher without showing both sides of the story or people will just dismis it for fawning crap.

Thanks Bob for the warning. Also Thatcher feminist icon? Working class? Um, No.

A bit of context on the ghost side of things - a few years ago the media in england reported that Thatcher's alzheimers had gotten so bad that she didn't know that her husband was dead and so had to be told this each day by her daughter. Basically, she had to do the grieving widow thing every morning.

Also, I'd like to point out that in Britain this film is rated 12A - not suitable for minors. I'd like to think that was an intentional bit of wordplay.

Tim Burton can't stop! Who else is going to give Depp work and shit all over classic tales like him?!

Gallium:

number2301:

good, then maybe Ireland will finally be united

I personally think you could've changed the title to "Oscar Bait" and no one would notice.

DSQ:

Do you really think that that will happen?

In time, yes. The death of "one nation" conservatism which Thatcher led resulted in the wiping out of the centre right in Scotland, the (until recently) domination of the majority of Scotland by the Labour party and the rise of a social democratic nationalism in the form of the SNP. A few things needed to happen before this became clear.

First, the old "Churchill" Conservatives needed to die. The generation that remembered WW2 voted Tory and were pro-union. That generation is passing/passed. Harsh, but true.
Second, the ruling party, Labour, slipped up as all ruling parties will eventually do.
Third, the switch to the opposition, the SNP. And as per their reason for existing, there will be a vote on Scottish Independence.

Will the vote pass? Stranger things have happened. Indeed the SNP came from further behind in the polls to win the last election.
But what is sure, there is a real appetite to extend the powers of devolved government. The "Devo Max" option. Scotland in charge of *everything* bar Defence and Foreign Policy. Recent polling suggests that over 70% of voters would like to see that, and the SNP would be mad not to let the public vote for it.

If "Devo Max" passes, Scotland is just in the UK for foreign relations and defence. You can see what happens next.

It will take just one Iraq war type of situation for full independence.
And we all know how much Prime Ministers like to pretend we are still world military power....

Matter of time.

DSQ:

Gallium:

number2301:

Do you really think that that will happen? I'm not so sure most of scotland wants that for scotland... I know I don't ;A;

So yeah Fuck This Movie. You couldn't pay me to see a movie about Thatcher after what she did to where my family is from i.e. a mining village.

I like Streep but no. You can't a film about Thatcher without showing both sides of the story or people will just dismis it for fawning crap.

Thanks Bob for the warning. Also Thatcher feminist icon? Working class? Um, No.

no offense but I'm all for people to stop mining and use alternative energy, so I guess what I have to say is, fuck mining.

Volf99:

Gallium:

number2301:

good, then maybe Ireland will finally be united

It's really odd that you have gone into a thread that has nothing to do with Ireland just so you can make a controversial statement.

Anyway I wasn't alive when Thatcher was in power however I do know that the country was actually pretty shitty before she got into power and she did manage to get our economy back on track. Probably simplifying it a bit, but meh.

"Dear Tim Burton, Please stop."

Bob, I've been barking up that tree for years. It ain't happening. Best thing we can do is just awkwardly look the other way and pretend we don't know it's happening.

Daystar Clarion:

Also, the milk.

Thatcher, Thatcher Milk Snatcher.

I think this video from Mock The Week pretty much sums up the national attitude towards Maggie, especially up North.

My mum and her boyfriend are planning to organise a street party on the day of Thatcher's funeral. Needless to say, I'm going to be there, singing "Ding dong, the witch is dead. Which old witch? The wicked witch!"

Regarding the film: however oscar-baity the film itself might be, I think Moviebob does a disservice to Meryl Streep. It's unfair to call her a talented impressionist when she by and large plays fictional characters, not real ones. She has a real talent at shaping her voice and mastering accents, but that only speaks to her strengths as an actress. In a perfect world, all actors and actresses would be as good at manipulating their voices as Meryl. It is, after all, a sign of how good you are in your chosen profession.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here