... And The Rest

Pages 1 2 NEXT

... And The Rest

MovieBob gives you a list of movies that he's sort of looking forward to this upcoming year.

Read Full Article

Haywire? That's my bet for upcoming film he's seen.

Aww.. no Expendables 2? Heh Well, that one's on my personal want to see list for this year.

I'm actually really looking forward to The Hunger Games. Despite it's target audience, there's actually a lot to like in the books. It is in no way shape or form even close to Twilight. I too, however, an disappointed by the trailers. Maybe I was hoping the movie would skew more Bladerunner or something (yeah, I know, not likely but I was hoping), but the trailer is actually just sort of meh. If I wasn't a fan of the books and the concept, I'd actually have Hunger Games on my skip it list just by basing things on the trailer.

Also, Lady In Black does look like it's shaping up really well. My only issue is that, yes, I can help but see radcliffe as Potter.. and I'm not even a huge fan/follower of the Potter series. I appreciate their achievments and enjoy them, but have never even picked up one of the books and wouldn't recall the movies as a favourite series of mine. It's just that after a single actor has been defined by pretty much nothing other than a single iconic character for a decade, it's hard to get that image out of your head.

It would be nice if a superhero franchise could switch actors and not reboot. Batman did this, why can't anyone else?

Just to get it out of the way: because he's the goddamned Batman.

While i know nothing about the world of theatre/musicals, i hear Daniel Radcliffe has done pretty well for himself in the west end, so i have high hopes that he'll make it as a "real" actor, not just as "that Harry Potter kid"

I seriously giggled like a schoolgirl when "the president's daughter" was mentioned. That's probably not a good thing.

Well, can we at least give Emma Watson points for Gryffindor, like, all the time?

Hungry Donner:
It would be nice if a superhero franchise could switch actors and not reboot. Batman did this, why can't anyone else?

Does Doctor Who count as a superhero? They've kind of got that whole bit down (minus any fanbase argument over new-series/old-series shenanigans, anyway)...

What? No mention of the Phantom Mena- "snort" sorry, I can't spell that with a straight face.

I watched the Amazing Spider Man Trailer. It wasn't until 1:43 that it realized it was supposed to be a trailer for a superhero movie. Will Boycott out of principle: AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!

Really looking forward to Lock-Out (a.k.a Escape from LA IN SPACE!) I like the sense of humor that came across in the trailer. Now if only they found a way to sneak in some basketball time trails.

Was actually more impressed with the trailer for the Woman in Black than I thought I would be.
"Expecto Patron-us"

Oh man, I managed to get the excruciating teenager Spidey out of my head, and then you sucker me right back in! :(

MS ONE: Looks like the "funny" one-liners and obligatory action shots are quite present, but I somehow don't feel this will have an actual interesting story or characters. Let's hope it's good, but I'm not betting on that.

Chronicle... Probably would be twice as good without the whole "found footage" angle, as I thoroughly despise it. Only time they ever got that right was in The Trollhunter imho. Still, that one kid going on a crazy rampage might be good ;)

don't get too excited for the hunger games... the books werent great and the things that happen in the books are pretty silly... :/

If Micheal Bay is not involved all in Act of Valor, he must have pitched a total fit his wet dream is happening without him.

I competely forgot that George Lucas was interested in making a WW2 about African American pilots (I remember once reading that from a film mag years).
From the trailers it certainly look promising but yet again this is George Lucus we're talking about. It also doesn't help the fact that if the film is a hit, he would make a sequel and a prequel thus bringing it to a trilogy which I shudder at that idea (that what it said on Wiki).

I wasn't interested in Chronicle before, but the trailer looks promising. I'm not really sure why they went with the found footage angle for it, though- that style doesn't seem like its going to add much to a big effects-driven superhero movie. There's a reason most successful found footage movies are low-budget horror films (Cloverfield being the exception).

Still, the clips and trailer seem to indicate that the movie is avoiding a lot of the over-use of shaky cam that other movies like this have been falling prey to lately.

Smiles:
don't get too excited for the hunger games... the books werent great and the things that happen in the books are pretty silly... :/

I would second that, although the trailer looked promising. I'm hoping the movie covers up the books' flaws.

Am I the only one who finds High-School Spider-man to be so boring and cliche now?

The CGI Mirror's Edge scene leaves much to be desired. However, The story in Spidey-3 was mind numbingly bad, so I guess the tried-and-true formula of awkward high school superhero may still be an improvement. Still... I'm likely going to pass on that one.

EDIT: Unless the villain is Carnage. And he's in it longer than the 3rd Act. Then I'll give it a shot.

As Woody Harrelson said in Zombieland, "Enjoy the little things." I'm not really all that excited about half or so of the huge epic blockbuststravaganzas on the top 10 video last week, but I definitely want to see a whole bunch of the ridiculous crap on this list.

Escape from New York in space? Timecop with Tommy from Third Rock? That horror movie thing somehow involving sci-fi? Oh, and let's not forget about that insane Will Farrel thing. I'm going to keep this article up in my browser for a while so I remember what awesome crap to look for this year when I'm bored and want to see a stupid movie.

Thanks, Bob!

Spider-Man reboot:

I'd honestly be less annoyed by this if they didn't feel the need to make it another origin story.
Everyone in the modern movie going world knows the Spider-Man origin story...my DAD knows the Spider-Man origin story (The radioactive spider version and not the genetically altered variant)

If you want to do "The Adventures of Young Spider-Man" then fine, just do that.

We don't need to waste another half a movie showing him being nerdy and getting his ass kicked by Flash Thompson, getting bitten by a spider, fighting Crusher Hogan (or whatever) and getting Uncle Ben killed.

Red Tails:

I'm cautiously intrigued about this movie. The subject matter is one that I think deserves a good movie... But I'd be lying if I said that the advertising for the film is really souring my opinion of it.
I can't claim to be an expert on the subject but it seems like everything about the way the characters are portrayed is aggressively modern. I don't know if that was intentional or just poor writing.

After Tucker and Dale vs Evil was so amazing, don't want to see any more horror movies set in the woods.

Towels:
Am I the only one who finds High-School Spider-man to be so boring and cliche now?

It's like they're trying to make Spiderman for Twilight fans. I swear, Andrew Garfield looks about as much as you can like Robert Pattinson without actually being Robert Pattinson.

I know he hasn't been mentioning it but I really REALLY hope Bob reviews Ghost Rider 2. I'm also really interested to see how it's going to stack up to Spider-Man. They could both crash and burn or Spider-Man could be a surprise hit while Ghost Rider surprises nobody by being bad. Either way I'm already 100% invested in seeing Ghost Rider.

Raiyan 1.0:
Well, can we at least give Emma Watson points for Gryffindor, like, all the time?

I looked at that picture way longer than I should of...

But snape is one sexy fella.

Whats the most annoying thigng for me is in that entire list, the only film that I want to see is Act of Valor and even then its more as someone curious on how the special forces operate rather then because the film sounds like it may be good.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Dredd...well it can't be any worse than the Stallone version anyway

Scarim Coral:
I competely forgot that George Lucas was interested in making a WW2 about African American pilots (I remember once reading that from a film mag years).
From the trailers it certainly look promising but yet again this is George Lucus we're talking about. It also doesn't help the fact that if the film is a hit, he would make a sequel and a prequel thus bringing it to a trilogy which I shudder at that idea (that what it said on Wiki).

I know he said he had a prequel and a sequel planned when he was on The Daily Show the other day. I don't think he was joking, though he also said that this is as close as he's ever going to get to making Episode 7. That was actually quite an interesting (albeit brief) interview.

MetalDooley:
I'm cautiously optimistic about Dredd...well it can't be any worse than the Stallone version anyway

I dunno, what if we had Kristen Stewart as the deadpan and emotionless lead girl trying to win Shia LaBeouf's heart (as Dredd, remade to be a wacky prankster), all directed under the magnanimous eyes of one Michael Bay. Now that would be a film to compete with.

Chronicles looked really interesting and I'm definitely stoked for Hunger Games. I loved Battle Royale (so sue me) and it looks like a much better version, never read the books but I've read round them and heard great things. Wanna see if it pans out in the film. Chronicles is just interesting though, I thought it would suck off it's description but played right I can see it being a great film, played badly it'll just be dull by my reckoning.

Hugga_Bear:

MetalDooley:

I dunno, what if we had Kristen Stewart as the deadpan and emotionless lead girl trying to win Shia LaBeouf's heart (as Dredd, remade to be a wacky prankster), all directed under the magnanimous eyes of one Michael Bay. Now that would be a film to compete with.

Lol fair enough that movie would make Stallone's version look like The Godfather.I guess things could always be worse.I'm quietly hoping that won't happen with the new one though

Red Tails looks like 3D Mark 2003: The movie, heh.

As for Act of Valor, well I sure hope this will follow Americas Army and will be released for free, or at least to DVD/BD very soon. This is not the sort of movie I'd watch in a cinema. This, I want to study frame by frame. I hope the production company gets this.

[quote="StriderShinryu" post="6.337915.13667578"]
I'm actually really looking forward to The Hunger Games. Despite it's target audience, there's actually a lot to like in the books. It is in no way shape or form even close to Twilight. I too, however, an disappointed by the trailers. Maybe I was hoping the movie would skew more Bladerunner or something (yeah, I know, not likely but I was hoping), but the trailer is actually just sort of meh. If I wasn't a fan of the books and the concept, I'd actually have Hunger Games on my skip it list just by basing things on the trailer.quote]

same, I love the books, and was shocked and horrified when I saw that it was proudly being advertised to target the same people as twilight. I hope to god the movie itself is fine, because right now I'm half looking forward to it, and half dreading it.

I have very low expectations for The Hunger Games. I just don't see how they could possibly make the movie anywhere near as good as the book. I loved the books (except the 3rd one, Collins seemed to write herself into a corner) but I'm wary of the movie

I can only hope that the "I have already seen it and cannot discuss it" movie is Skyfall, because otherwise... why is it missing?

I'm desperately hoping that John Carter of Mars comes out at least half-decent, being a fan of old sci-fi, but I've carefully avoiding looking for anything to do with it beyond looking at the banners I've seen hanging at the theater. I know that I shouldn't get too excited, I know. But I can't help it. It's Edgar Rice Burroughs! Barsoom! Blast my naive hope...

The trailer for Chronicle reminds me way too much of the feeling of The Covenant, which I thought looked cool before I saw it but turned out to be a hilariously transparent angstfest about how hard it is to be a teenage male.

NovaCascade:
I have very low expectations for The Hunger Games. I just don't see how they could possibly make the movie anywhere near as good as the book. I loved the books (except the 3rd one, Collins seemed to write herself into a corner) but I'm wary of the movie

Yeah, the third book felt rushed a bit and...

Also I get the similarites to Battle Royal (Dystopian Society where kids fight to survive) but I feel like that idea is the same as any fantasy idea. Just because one is similar to the next doesn't mean they copied each other.

Hell just take Roman times, change the adults to kids, and society to Dystopian and you got Battle Royal and The Hunger Games...

Hell I have even thought of the idea before I even knew about these books. Many others have also probably aswell.

It's just one of those ideas that many get.

Are we supposed to start calling every Fantasy story a copy of Lotr just because it popularlized the fantasy genre to the way it is?

Is it just me or is Bruce Willis the only man to have aged gracefully out of the 80's action film circuit? Sly's stuck in the past, Arnold had a mid-life crisis... but Bruce? He's still kicking ass. And making geriatric quips. Yippie-kai-ay.

Sabrestar:
Does Doctor Who count as a superhero? They've kind of got that whole bit down (minus any fanbase argument over new-series/old-series shenanigans, anyway)...

I liked the serial setup from the old series plus it was scarier (I remember it being scarier, might have to get the DVDs to rewatch). But, the new series had David Tennant.

I watched the trailer G.I Joe 2, puzzled to say I am looking forward to it. I liked the first one too, despite the poor acting, horrid script and oddly disconcerting special effects. By themselves none of them worked, all together and it is strangely enjoyable.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here