Escapist Podcast: Bonus: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Bonus: Star Wars: The Old Republic

In this bonus episode, we discuss our thoughts and experiences with Star Wars: The Old Republic so far.

Watch Video

I played in the beta, and I have to disagree with you about the space combat. I love the space combat. I was definitely leery when I heard it was going to be "on rails," but the rails are more free than I was initially expecting. And, by making the game on these kind of rails, it allows them to script the wonderful experiences where enemy capital ships are jumping in from hyperspace in front of you, clashing capital ships, and you're dodging ships and asteroids in ways that would be impossible in an open space flight environment.

I would prefer an open space flight environment (I grew up with X-Wing, Tie Fighter, etc.), but what's been implemented is only one notch below that.

I have heard there isn't open space flight not because they didn't have time/resources, but because they didn't think MMO players would have the skills to operate in an open space flight environment (which, if true, is kind of insulting).

....How did you guys totally not understand the concept of a taunt in PvE ? The skill that you use that makes PLAYERS do less damage until they attack you works as TAUNT in PvE. You know those things that tanks use to get instant top aggro from people -.-

The aforementioned Kolto Probe skill.

...so, a better game than Skyrim then?

A action MMO is in Beta for Europe and american players. (i think it's already released in Korea) its called Tera online.

Azuaron:
I have heard there isn't open space flight not because they didn't have time/resources, but because they didn't think MMO players would have the skills to operate in an open space flight environment (which, if true, is kind of insulting).

That's not true, they made it a mini game rather than trying to add "develop a multi-player space fighter game too" to what was already a massive and ambitious game.

wise choice frankly

Actually listened to this while playing swtor ...

Nice to hear they're all enjoying it. I for one am thoroughly loving my time in the game. I'd say its addictive but that's the label people have been throwing on WOW for years. It's not addictive it's just very very enjoyable, so enjoyable in fact that I play every spare moment I get ...

Not sure who said this during the podcast but one of you mentioned that during Space Combat missions your blasters wouldn't do any damage to enemy ships and asked if that happened to anyone else to let you know.

That is a bug I run into sometimes, usually if I come back an hour later or so it fixes itself, if it keeps happening to you though I'd recommend putting in a bug ticket (assuming you don't notice bad latency during regular gameplay, otherwise check with your ISP on why you're getting crappy ping)

The only MMO I am looking forward to is Phantasy Star Online 2. I really enjoyed the previous games; hope it won't be exclusive to Japan.

I've never wanted to play an MMO befor, but now I want to play SWTOR, great podcast

iamwill2:
I've never wanted to play an MMO befor, but now I want to play SWTOR, great podcast

Same, when it was released I was kinda 'meh' about it, I mean I love Star Wars but I had just (finally, after 6 years) kicked my WoW habit, but seeing all the discussion on this site and -everywhere- about how awesome Old republic seems to be, I've broken down and am now installing it.

MisterShine:
Not sure who said this during the podcast but one of you mentioned that during Space Combat missions your blasters wouldn't do any damage to enemy ships and asked if that happened to anyone else to let you know.

That is a bug I run into sometimes, usually if I come back an hour later or so it fixes itself, if it keeps happening to you though I'd recommend putting in a bug ticket (assuming you don't notice bad latency during regular gameplay, otherwise check with your ISP on why you're getting crappy ping)

That was me, I haven't tried space combat since I first encountered the problem. After upgrading some of my ship's gear to Level 3, I tried playing again this past weekend and ran into the same problem. Went ahead and submitted a ticket to see if it's a bug or something, but it's good to know I'm not the only one who's encountering the same issue.

iamwill2:

It's surprisingly addictive! I'm not much of an MMO gamer (like in the podcast, mostly it's just been Star Trek: Online), but I've really enjoyed everything so far.

I did all the bonuses I could... Also Clear Out all Your story areas (Green zone, golden bar with Your/Your friends character name)... mobs don't respawn, have better drops and You can be a completionist there ^^

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here