LoadingReadyRun: Voluntourism

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Voluntourism

Everyone wants to help people. For some, those people are themselves.

Watch Video

Since no one in the video said it, something I felt was a lost opportunity, I'm going to do it.

Africaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I was expecting another CEX sketch, but this was great.

"Asking questions does not help Africa." Brilliant.

Also all the running has been paying off for Matt.

Africa's got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one!

aeric90:

Also all the running has been paying off for Matt.

Pretty much what I just said on the Twitters.. Agreed! To both those things! I swear Season 8 Matt looks like Season 2 Matt now.. Also, disappearing glasses! And Graham adds glasses. Bizarro LRR!

Those pills were for ears right?

There there Matt I'm confident in your ability to dig wells.

A great message this week, I feel bad for Matt having to play the moronic student though.

That.... that was just.... beautiful.

Truly, an inspiring message to lift the hearts of all college students everywhere.

So inspiring, in fact, that I am going to go and dig wells in Africa, RIGHT NOW.

Double post fail

LoadingReadyRun...Striking blows against douchebaggery everywhere!

DVS BSTrD:
Africa's got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one!

GROAN!

Nice, Charity-administrator-Graham doesn't take guff from anybody, nicely slammed.

This made me a very nice belly laugh. Thank you :)

There's never a better opportunity to abuse power than when making someone your bitch. Especially when they are willing to do it without pay.

The last line of the stinger was priceless.

I used to hate Mondays, I can thank LRR for changing that for me, thanks guys.

Ah, the classic brick joke. Love this one. This one must've been an old script though, I can't really think of what would've sparked this sketch in recent days...

unacomn:
Since no one in the video said it, something I felt was a lost opportunity, I'm going to do it.

Africaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

YES.

I was expecting another CEX sketch, but this was great.

They mentioned CES in Checkpoint as the intro joke, making another sketch would've worn the joke a bit thin IMO.

CardinalPiggles:
A great message this week, I feel bad for Matt having to play the moronic student though.

Finally got knocked down a few pegs. Usually he's plays the egotistical jerk.

Not a bad episode, not to great either. No jokes made me outright laugh.

aeric90:

I personally think we should make that a new internet meme.

"I'll see to it that you lose your medical license......well can you direct me to someone who does?" Priceless

Plus is it just me, or does Graham look more awesome with glasses?

I approve of this message.

Just for the fact that it allows me to bask in the smug self-satisfaction that I've never volunteered to dig a well in Africa. I'm not lazy, I am a TRUE humanitarian.

BTW, brilliant timing on the unspoken penultimate line of the tag.

Matt without glasses... I like it. And obviously it was his teeth not his ears that the medicine affected

Lancer873:
Ah, the classic brick joke.

Actually, since the setup was also a joke, I think TV Tropes classifies it as an example of Chekov's Gag.

perfectly done. i can very much empathise with this one.

I did some volunteer stuff in south asia... this description is pretty apt. The local bricklayers were kind to let us try to lay brick along side them. We were predictably slow. The majority of the volunteers stuck with the straight up manual labor such as sifting sand, carrying rock, etc. Most volunteers were about as efficient as the 12 year old kids that were helping out. Not bad considering how much hard labor a 12 year old village kid can actually do. :) By taking care of unskilled work we freed up the locals to do skilled labor and finish work. We were also putting a lot of funding into the project to purchase the entirety of the building materials, so I would say that our visit was a positive for everyone. The money spent to house, feed, and transport each volunteer-tourist could have paid for a lot more material and local labor in support of the local economy.

Still... pretty apt.

Was anyone else completely blown away by the acting by Graham and Matt in this sketch? Seriously, phenomenal :)

Graham_LRR:

Lancer873:
Ah, the classic brick joke.

Actually, since the setup was also a joke, I think TV Tropes classifies it as an example of Chekov's Gag.

Fair point. Also, I'm quite surprised you guys didn't go for an innocent innuendo with that. It was just vague enough that you could've made it into something else at the end.

The Gentleman:

aeric90:

I definitely agree! Start the meme creator!

Great episode as always, it baffles me that you can be continually funny without a break.

And that is why I get my volunteer hours the easy and fun way. You know that guy at concerts in the NGO t-shirt who asks you to sign for a petition neither he nor you know anything about: hi, I'm that guy, I get to attend this concert for free, feel good about myself, get a free t-shirt, and all I have to do is pester mildly sympathetic people and occasionally get berated by a drunk republican, crazed pothead, or very stubborn Irishman.

"Need" ?

That's a definition of volunteering I haven't heard before.

Eh, I bet Africans just don't want all those American Canadian immigrants stealing their well-digging jobs.

"Yeah... we have people to do that. They're called Africans."

I guffawed. Out loud.

The Gentleman:

aeric90:

I agree. In fact, I think I'll start using that in my daily life, now.

Asking questions does not help Africa.

And motto'd. Time to get the meme train rolling. I've already been spreading "Sounds like my first time" as much as possible. It's catching on. I think, meme for meme, LRR has produced almost as many as Reddit, though, among a smaller community. Hmmm...If only we could measure this.

Oh wow, the writing on this one was amazing. And that's saying a lot, because writing is not something I usually take not of. Brilliant rants, and really well done tying the beginning to the end with the pill thing. So funny

Fun fact: Graham actually is an elephant.

Funny episode. Matt looked odd without his glasses though. I'm curious if it was any harder for him to do the episode without them. Doesn't seem like it would be since he didn't have to do anything but sit there and be funny.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here