The Old Republic

Pages 1 2 NEXT

i don't entirely get it....

This is why I stopped caring about Light vs Dark while leveling and started playing my characters based on what I think they would actually do. My Jedi is an overconfident, arrogant person who takes great pride in his abilities. He won't leave a serious threat to the order or republic alive, but he also doesn't just mindlessly slaughter for fun. He's willing to help those in need, but is more then happy to accept rewards for his work, even if he doesn't demand them. So far he's level 25 and jumps back and forth on the line of Light 1. It makes the game a lot more interesting, and adds a huge amount of depth and personal interest to my char rather then just, oh I'm a Jedi, lets hit light for everything. And once I'm 50, and all the story is done, I can just farm all the way light or dark for gear requirements running flashpoints.

Light on the force means light on the credits.

You aren't a good bounty hunter if you keep killing your bounties. In this, some of the dark side options make even less sense than for other characters.

Besides, tracking and killing is an assassin's line of work; not a Bounty Hunter.

Having played the Beta it comes down to:

LS Smuggler: While they call themselves a smuggler they do have lines they wont cross, and actually do have a heart of gold :ie Episode 6 Han Solo and Lando
DS Smuggler: Money, money, money, me, me me! Does what they have to get some more credits, and really puts themselves or ship first: ie Episode 4 Han, and early episode 5 Lando

Pretty much a LS smuggler is Malcolm Reynolds, while the DS smuggler really does come off like a criminal.

LS Bounty Hunter: Cares more for the hunt rather than the kill, and is more about the honor of the trade than the credits of the trade: ie think Old West BH who works on always bringing baddies to trial.
DS Bounty Hunter: Will kill or capture anyone for their job, and really does at times come off as a psycho for hire: ie Jubal Early from Firefly

Really LS characters are people who hold to honor and do what they feel is right.
DS characters do what they are told, and actually have more loyalty to their employer.

I like to mercilessly sass my betters as a dark side imperial agent. I have been electrocuted by sith lords A LOT.

Dark side responses seem to be about 20% more fun than light side ones. Although I have a rule that if an npc makes me laugh then they get to live.

Me: You really are too stupid to be a spy
Woman: I knew that ignorance would come in handy one day
Me: (LOL) okay you can live.

DVS BSTrD:

I like that. I'm gonna steal that.

Nothing says Light Side like launching a bunch of kitties into the sun.

DVS BSTrD:

This is soooooooo true in any moral choice. Good guys want crap too you know. Assholes shouldn't get stuff, it breeds more!!

Yeah, pretty much agree.

My Smuggler is a decent guy, but dude's got to get paid. My things don't buy themselves, after all.

Agent does whatever is good for the Empire. Well, this is until after Chapter 1, where he learned things, now he's basically two-face. Every moral choice boils down to a coin-toss.

He was pretty shaken up at the revelation.

I was expecting them to look like kittens crossed with Kratos! I feel double-crossed!

My Smuggler is generally a good guy and I will pick the light side choices most of the time..

..But when it comes to profiting and doing some dirty work to get paid... I'll happily pick the dark side choice.

Doing light side choices 100% of the time just to get light side points is boring... and IMO, a method of just gaming the system to get the light side perks faster. Bad role playing.

InB4 "This is a horrible mechanic and I'll never ever buy this game because of this!"

To be honest while most of these comics just mildly to moderately amuse me, this one got a lol or two out of me. Great stuff.

I have a simple solution: Make your character concept more complicated than Dark or Light aligned.

I currently have four characters and I've made and deleted four others. Out of all eight of those characters, only one has hit Dark I, and I anticipate that one more will hit Light I eventually. All others have been and will stay neutral, and even the ones who are Light/Dark likely won't hit rank II before level 40 and will probably never hit rank III.

There is no reason that you HAVE to make all Light decisions or all Dark decisions (yeah yeah, I know about relics, but those don't contribute THAT MUCH to your stats). Your smuggler could be fine with smuggling illegal spice and bioweapons, but draw the line at deadly kittens. It's quite satisfying to actually TRY being a character with some depth.

Besides, staying Neutral means that you don't have to worry about the stupid alignment restrictions that the game places on color crystals.

Atmos Duality:

Besides, tracking and killing is an assassin's line of work; not a Bounty Hunter.

Aren't Star Wars "Bounty Hunters" more akin to assassins anyway?

Zachary Amaranth:

Atmos Duality:

Nope they are still payed more to bring in people not to kill them... As seen in Ep 5 with Boba Fett worrying that han isn't worth anything to him if he gets killed. They can still get payed sometimes for bringing in a dead body, but they are then seen as being a bad bounty hunter.

In the words of Darth Vader when talking to the bounty hunters "You are free to use any methods necessary but I want them alive - no disintegrations! "

I've really just done mine based on what I see the character as. That is, a Smuggler who's really a good guy, in the end, even if he's a bit hasty with blaster fire at times. That generally puts me on the light side of things, but I don't think I've actually giving a quest item to the person that originally requested it yet. There's always a second person going "Oh, she's a spy" or "Oh, they're slave collars".

/sigh.

what happened to smuggling cheap fake designer products, from the star wars version of china? Or perhaps smuggling knock off military grade weapons as the real thing to the empire?

The above scenario is likely why storm troopers never could hit anything.

In all fairness, during the course of the movies I think Han Solo only did actual smuggling work like twice, and both times it was rebel soldiers...

I'm a light-side bounty hunter, and I'm excellent at my job.
When I can, I capture rather than kill.
But as I'm a professional, I sometimes have to bloody my hands.
If the client wants no witnesses, there will be no witnesses.
Nothing personal; just business.

The moral choice system is one I have something of a beef with in ToR. It doesn't reward you for existing in a moral grey area like a normal, sane person. It instead rewards you for being either cartoonishly evil or good to the point of naive ignorance. The companions don't help with that either. The Sith Inquisitor's first companion, Khem, is hard line evil and the only way to gain rep with him in conversations is by always picking the most ruthless, dickish option available. Yeah I could easily just shower him with gifts to make him like me more but that almost makes the whole system pointless. They may as well have not included the rep with companions at all.

Basically I don't feel like I can play my character the way I want to without the game penalizing me. The conversations my character has are more like games of figuring out which dialogue choice will net me the most gain in character progression and which ones will penalize me because I didn't pick what the devs thought my character should have said.

Zachary Amaranth:

Atmos Duality:

"He's no good to me dead" - Boba Fett Ep5, quoting a Mandalorian maxim on bounties.

That's really the problem with all games that have a built in moral system. You're either setting up orphanages for children that were born on fire and have never even seen a cookie or you're going around robbing said enflamed orphans and pushing people in wheelchairs down long flights of stairs. There's no real "moral problem" as, from the onset, when making a new ccharacter you know "Alright, I'm gonna be a goody-goody this playthrough" or "You know what? I REALLY do enjoy throwing those old people down the stairs..."

xXxJessicaxXx:
Dark side responses seem to be about 20% more fun than light side ones. Although I have a rule that if an npc makes me laugh then they get to live.

I will agree with that, "evil" responses are much more humorous because, tying into what I mentioned above, they're often just over-the-top grotesquely evil. This was especially true in Knights of the Old Republic and its sequel.

I remember the quest where you're on Dantooine trying to become a "jedi", there's those two farmers who are quarreling and you have to resolve it. I picked the good responses all the way through, but at the very end, had my character say "You know, I actually saw so-and-so shoot your son..." So Farmer 1 got enraged and shot Farmer 2's daughter, Farmer 2 kills Farmer 1's son, the guard droids both farmers have then killed both the farmers, leaving EVERYONE involved dead and giving me +20 Dark Side. Ohhhh you should have heard the maniacal laugh I let loose after pulling that off.

Wait... there really are no "find and protect my husband, then kill that crime lord" and no "smuggle this medicine to the orphanage on planet XYZ" quests? Both are concepts that can easily work as both good (do the job) and evil (find the husband, kill him for the crime lord or rat him out to the crime lord / sell the medicine to drug dealers or so) and could yield the same amount of credits etc... Maybe you get an item (her ring, or a Star Wars collectible from one of the kids, that you can sell to break even with the bad ending).

If this isn't the case, this is bad design imo.
Just like the example in the comic could have had a very different light side solution. Take the mutant kittens to a researcher who is working on curing this kind of stuff. Sure, he might kill a few of them in the process but with the kittens he might finally find a cure and save many many (kitten) lives! You'd still have to smuggle because of course they won't let you take this forbidden cargo to him that easily.

What a lot of people, especially many in charge of Star Wars media, don't seem to understand about the force is that the Light/Dark sides of the force do not necessarily correspond with Good and Evil. A more apt comparison would be Stoic vs Passionate. Jedi traditionally emphasis detachment from worldly concerns, whereas the Sith emphasis submitting to their emotions.

A truely in-between person would be one who is free to feel anything, but isn't mastered by them.

Raijha:
This is why I stopped caring about Light vs Dark while leveling and started playing my characters based on what I think they would actually do. My Jedi is an overconfident, arrogant person who takes great pride in his abilities. He won't leave a serious threat to the order or republic alive, but he also doesn't just mindlessly slaughter for fun. He's willing to help those in need, but is more then happy to accept rewards for his work, even if he doesn't demand them. So far he's level 25 and jumps back and forth on the line of Light 1. It makes the game a lot more interesting, and adds a huge amount of depth and personal interest to my char rather then just, oh I'm a Jedi, lets hit light for everything. And once I'm 50, and all the story is done, I can just farm all the way light or dark for gear requirements running flashpoints.

Yeah, I'm the same way. My Sith sometimes sympathizes with people who are being victimized because he used to be a slave, but he's still hateful, greedy, and selfish. I ended up turning off the light/dark side indicator because I didn't want points do have anything to do with my character's decisions. Really wish Bioware had done away with the light and dark side points system entirely, sort of like the way it is in Dragon Age. I especially don't like how it's required to use some gear.

Irridium:
Yeah, pretty much agree.

My Smuggler is a decent guy, but dude's got to get paid. My things don't buy themselves, after all.

Agent does whatever is good for the Empire. Well, this is until after Chapter 1, where he learned things, now he's basically two-face. Every moral choice boils down to a coin-toss.

wait what? I stopped playing my agent somewhere around lv 12 because I didn't want to be some assholes siths subordinate for the entire game, does the whole slimy politics stuff end at some point?

Moriarty:

Irridium:
Yeah, pretty much agree.

wait what? I stopped playing my agent somewhere around lv 12 because I didn't want to be some assholes siths subordinate for the entire game, does the whole slimy politics stuff end at some point?

Yes. You stop doing his bidding right before you leave Dromund Kass.

darkbshadow:

In the words of Darth Vader when talking to the bounty hunters "You are free to use any methods necessary but I want them alive - no disintegrations! "

But see, that just seems to prove my point. They had to be explicitly told "No disintegrations."

amaranth_dru:

"He's no good to me dead" - Boba Fett Ep5, quoting a Mandalorian maxim on bounties.

Again, after the bounty hunters were specifically told to bring 'em in alive.

Inference from Han's prior mentions of the price on his head don't seem to indicate this is standard practice, either.

Zachary Amaranth:

darkbshadow:

But see, that just seems to prove my point. They had to be explicitly told "No disintegrations."

amaranth_dru:

Again, after the bounty hunters were specifically told to bring 'em in alive.

Inference from Han's prior mentions of the price on his head don't seem to indicate this is standard practice, either.

Another interesting Mando maxim:
"Alive? Alive costs more."
Thus successful bounty hunters attempt to bring em in alive. Unless they're Jedi/Sith, then just kill them all.

I'm a sith warrior with 2 red lightsabers.
I'm not being nice for anybody, who plays a sith with red lightsabers to be nice? I want to fuck people over all the way to the top :D

Hey, BioWare, here's an idea for a Light Side smuggler quest that makes money.

Have the smuggler smuggle weapons to some resistance fighters in a Sith sector.

Moriarty:

I have an Imperial Agent Sniper at 50, at the start you work for the Sith. Much later, things change. That's all I'm going to say without ruining it for you. Unless you WANT to know. My characters name is perfect for a sniper too. Not many people survive with their heads intact when Leeharvey Oswald is on the job :O

Irridium:
snip

Waaghpowa:
snip

welp and now I have to replay another starting area. Really liked the sniper class, but was really turned off by the story after they chained me with the alien-morrigan.

The game is really hit and miss with it's characters, you're not really free to play how you want, you just got to choose between two different railroads. At least a new agent isn't as bad as a new trooper, I really started to hate my trooper because the light side wouldn't shut up about his goddamn duty and the evil side seemed to confuse being evil with being an asshole.

Moriarty:

welp and now I have to replay another starting area. Really liked the sniper class, but was really turned off by the story after they chained me with the alien-morrigan.

The game is really hit and miss with it's characters, you're not really free to play how you want, you just got to choose between two different railroads. At least a new agent isn't as bad as a new trooper, I really started to hate my trooper because the light side wouldn't shut up about his goddamn duty and the evil side seemed to confuse being evil with being an asshole.

Kaliyo really does come across at times like a Morrigan-esqe charecter, but I think it fits her actually. She's complicated, not easy to pin down even if you think you know what she's all about. Dark hearted, ruthless, and you get the sense she'll stab you in the back if you let your guard down around her. I couldn't be happier with her or the Imperial Agents' storyline. Much, much better then that silly, flighty Bounty Hunter stuff. ^_^

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here