Trailers: Shogun 2: Total War - The Fall of the Samurai

Shogun 2: Total War - The Fall of the Samurai

It's like The Last Samurai but good.

Watch Video

Wheeee, stoked up now. Looking forward to the challenge of this one.

Going to watch the Last Samurai later on, get me in the mood.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH I'm looking forward to this now... though I still dont get why they are doing this as a stand alone instead of just making it a dlv campagne like in rise of the samurai

1. I liked The Last Samurai.
2. NO, WRONG, WRONG! Remember the last time someone put guns in a Total War game? Oh that's right, IT WAS NAPOLEON: TOTAL WAR AND IT SUCKED!

That's not because of the guns. Empire didn't suck, and Napoleon didn't either (not really). There are guns in Shogun 2, as well.

Personally, I'm looking forward to monitors and other ironclads the most.

The Great JT:
2. NO, WRONG, WRONG! Remember the last time someone put guns in a Total War game? Oh that's right, IT WAS NAPOLEON: TOTAL WAR AND IT SUCKED!

Well that's your opinion, but I really liked Napoleon, particularly the naval battles. It is one of my favourite periods of history though.
I'm really looking forward to this now; it looks like it's going to be a pretty big addition to Shogun 2.

Don't see the big fuss over guns, THE ORIGINAL first and only Shogun: Total War (yes, the first game in the series) even had guns.

as somebody who loved Napoleon(Empire not so much but not because of the Combat) i am looking forward to this. except the prospect of machine guns scares me, didn't battles during that time breed the trench warfare of WWI, something that would be incredibly dull to do in a TW game

needs more dakka!

always needs more dakka!

teebeeohh:
as somebody who loved Napoleon(Empire not so much but not because of the Combat) i am looking forward to this. except the prospect of machine guns scares me, didn't battles during that time breed the trench warfare of WWI, something that would be incredibly dull to do in a TW game

Not really. Trench warfare has been around for many centuries, and nobody believed WWI would be anything other than a quick, highly mobile affair, before the Western front stagnated in the autumn of 1914.

The Gatling guns should be interesting, but don't be overwhelmed by their place in the trailer. I doubt the player will have a lot of them.

Either way, with Empire, Napoleon and now Fall of the Samurai, there aren't really that many excuses left for Creative Assembly to not do an ACW game. Except for maybe the fact that Civil War: Total War sounds like balls...

Kristian Fischer:

teebeeohh:

Not really. Trench warfare has been around for many centuries, and nobody believed WWI would be anything other than a quick, highly mobile affair, before the Western front stagnated in the autumn of 1914.

The Gatling guns should be interesting, but don't be overwhelmed by their place in the trailer. I doubt the player will have a lot of them.

Either way, with Empire, Napoleon and now Fall of the Samurai, there aren't really that many excuses left for Creative Assembly to not do an ACW game. Except for maybe the fact that Civil War: Total War sounds like balls...

so people have been fortifying trenches with machine guns and barbed wire and attempted to storm those with mass wave tactics for centuries?
damn i missed something in my history lessons

Maybe an all gun army will now be plausible.

teebeeohh:

so people have been fortifying trenches with machine guns and barbed wire and attempted to storm those with mass wave tactics for centuries?

That's a modern definition of trench warfare, but not the first one. Trenches have been used in siege warfare since before the birth of Christ, and people have tried to take them for just as long.

NLS:
Don't see the big fuss over guns, THE ORIGINAL first and only Shogun: Total War (yes, the first game in the series) even had guns.

I recall those guns ignoring terrain and walls so that they could be fired in/out of the castles, which made them significantly more effective.

My opinion is that they should stick to medieval/rome style fighting, and that the gunpowder has only been a fun addition with the naval battles.

teebeeohh:

Didn't they have the same machine guns in Empire?

LostCrusader:

NLS:

I recall those guns ignoring terrain and walls so that they could be fired in/out of the castles, which made them significantly more effective.

My opinion is that they should stick to medieval/rome style fighting, and that the gunpowder has only been a fun addition with the naval battles.

teebeeohh:

Didn't they have the same machine guns in Empire?

No, you're thinking of Puckle Guns. Nowhere near as effective as Gatlings.

The Great JT:

Really? I admit it was odd, but I actually liked it. It had some good tactical choices too. I particularly liked using snipers to break apart one unit while rushing it from the other side. Really did feel sorry for a few of my enemies.

teebeeohh:

Kristian Fischer:

teebeeohh:

Yes, yes you did. You know those things called castles? Trench's were usually built while laying siege to them. It was how you got close to them without betting destroyed by defensive arty (catapults, etc) and archers. You could even use them to set up counter battery's and tunnel under the walls.

dogstile:

The Great JT:

Really? I admit it was odd, but I actually liked it. It had some good tactical choices too. I particularly liked using snipers to break apart one unit while rushing it from the other side. Really did feel sorry for a few of my enemies.

teebeeohh:

Kristian Fischer:

Yes, yes you did. You know those things called castles? Trench's were usually built while laying siege to them. It was how you got close to them without betting destroyed by defensive arty (catapults, etc) and archers. You could even use them to set up counter battery's and tunnel under the walls.

but where did they get their machine guns from?
because I was referring to the kind of trench warfare used in WWI, the one with machine guns and barbed wire and cannons on rails

of course trench warfare has been around forever, probably since the first time some guy ducked into a creek to prevent getting hit by arrows

teebeeohh:

Kristian Fischer:

teebeeohh:

Yes, yes you did. You know those things called castles? Trench's were usually built while laying siege to them. It was how you got close to them without betting destroyed by defensive arty (catapults, etc) and archers. You could even use them to set up counter battery's and tunnel under the walls.[/quote]
but where did they get their machine guns from?
because I was referring to the kind of trench warfare used in WWI, the one with machine guns and barbed wire and cannons on rails

of course trench warfare has been around forever, probably since the first time some guy ducked into a creek to prevent getting hit by arrows[/quote]

Trench warfare is trench warfare, it doesn't really matter what weapons are used dude, tactics are still pretty much the same :P

Edit:

I think I buggered that up somewhere...

Kristian Fischer:

teebeeohh:

How is a total war game going to work when there's only two factions? You're going to have to take a lot of liberties with history to turn that into a workable game, when a Napoleon DLC could probably cover it just as well.

And speaking of taking liberties with history, The Last Samurai by itself really wasn't that bad a movie, the problem was more that Hollywood squatted down and left a huge steaming pile all over Japanese history. Their own revolution period reduced to a single futile charge by a few thousand men where the white guy Tom Cruise was the last man standing and only survivor? Yeah I'm sure that's how it really happened!

(Captcha: was "Tylugis fungicide". After hitting post while it loaded I noticed I made a mistake and didn't type in the 'y', but then it still accepted it? Doesn't captcha demand exact precision?)

what is pissing me off is the preorder packs. i know they will eventually release them all but its annoying having to choose just one now

that said gimme gimme gimme take my money now. be careful where you purchase it as well its $29.95 on steam and $49.95 on gamersgate

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here