Zero Punctuation: Super Mario 3D Land & Rayman Origins

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

viggih7:
Oh god... the horror. This brings back memories of the first rayman game, fucking hard as nails, Rayman 2 was a lot better I feel.

Fun fact, except for the new 3DS version, and the PC version I have played every single version of Rayman 2 ever made, yes I love it that much.

That means, Psone, DS, N64, Ps2 and Dreamcast.

My personal favourite is the Dreamcast version, it feels the most definitive to me.

"Who could like someone who's arms and legs have no visible connection to their body?" lol

The attacks against the 3D screen technology itself are pretty lame shots. Who is seriously claiming that the 3D screens add anything more than eye candy?

Hm.
I was wondering whether I should buy Origins or not.
You've convinced me, Yahtzee.

Such a shame, it's so rare to hear Yahtzee actually speak this highly of a game(Rayman) and I would actually consider buying it... if it wasn't a Ubisoft game. Oh well, maybe I'll pick it up used. Going by their logic, the fact I'm only passively interested in their game makes me a pirate anyway cause I thought about it without buying it, may as well get it used so they can at least kinda legitimize their claims within the scope of their own horribly flawed logic.

Aaahhh and this is why i am not a nintendo fan :)

Ouch, no wonder the Thwomps always look so angry.

Never owned a handheld before so I don't know exactly what to say about 3DLand.Mario has been done to death and they are still beating that old horse even after so many years.

Rayman Origins on the other hand I wish they would of released it on the PC as well so I could give it try.Unfortunately,that was not the case.

Laughed quite a bit on this vid,so thank you for this.:)

Edhellen:
The attacks against the 3D screen technology itself are pretty lame shots. Who is seriously claiming that the 3D screens add anything more than eye candy?

Nintendo, Sony, Naughty Dog, James Cameron, morons who's bought 3D TVs and 3DSs and are desperately trying to convince themselves they didn't waste thousands of dollars on terrible gimmick tech. I'm not saying they're right, just saying there's people attempting to claim it actually has weight to it.

I should really stop viewing the episodes in which he reviews a Nintendo game, seeing as a large chunk of his reviews are more about taking shots at the Nintendo Hardware rather than the actual fucking game. That and his hatred towards everything Nintendo. It's not that he HAS to like something or some company, but his bias really shows.

DarkhoIlow:

Rayman Origins on the other hand I wish they would of released it on the PC as well so I could give it try.Unfortunately,that was not the case.

Laughed quite a bit on this vid,so thank you for this.:)

Why would you ever get a Ubisoft game for the PC with their 3-install DRM?

Sometimes I wish Smash Bros had fatalities just so we could have the satisfaction of putting down Mario for good. Or at least til the next round.

Shadowstar38:

Point taken. I guess what I was trying to say was there didnt seem to be that much genuine excitment.

The big problem is and was the time when it was released. It was literally overshadowed by the giants Skyrim, MW3, Batman Arkham City and so on.

IncredibleKoosh:

Shadowstar38:
Its weird how much Yahtzee praised Rayman while the reception to it from most other reviews were luke warm at best.

88/100 - Xbox 360
87/100 - PS3
92/100 - Wii

If someone threw water that lukewarm at me my face would melt off.

Upper 80s, lower 90s? That's what you call lukewarm? Jim Sterling is right (as always). Hate of of ten much? Or in this case lukewarm out of ten?

The point is I just disagree with the assertion that, because it got the equivalent of a B+/A- score, that it means the critics gave it a lackluster score. If I were Ubisoft, I'd trumpet around those scores because they're pretty sweet.

Lukewarm would probably be more along the lines of a 60 or 70. Maybe even a 50.

and yet ... you still couldn't give me a rayman game, where as a Mario game I'd actually consider

Not enough coverage of Mario. It ws a fun game, but like Dragon Age 2, the shortcuts are blinding obvious. First the main game is impossably easy making a 3 hour gamplay timeframe optimistic on Nintendo's part, and that's with getting the star coins. No problem, there's the special world. What is the special world? The exact same levels with the difficulty set to normal, or a short time limit foricing you to kill enemies to keep alive, or a little shadow bastard running after you to kill you if you hold still for 3 seconds or both. Even then, that didn't last long. No problem, have a final level that opens only if you beat all levels ith Mario and Luigi and get the top of the flagpole on each level. At least the level was something new by that point. Oh and did I mention that if you actually manage to lose enough lives in various levels you can get a special left that makes you invincible? You can, though when you amass extra lives like multiplying tribbles it can get hard to reach that point.

TheFederation:
moviebob is gonna have some words with yahtzee

Moviebob lives, breathes and snorts nostalgia. There's the reason.

I shall willfully prevent myself from contemplating what could possibly have been happening off-camera during that "AAAAHHH! GRRRRRR! AAAAAHHH!" moment and, instead just tritely say, that was funny.

Super Mario 3D Land isn't bad. It's simply... bland and short. It's a few short hours of something enjoyable, but not SUPER enjoyable.

P.S. Thanks

3D Land does feel kinda halfhearted. No surprising considering that it was rushed to boost the sales of the 3DS. Fun, but disappointing. And what ever happened to themed worlds?! I miss that.

Oh, for the love o' god. On the day of the internet blackout, you serve Zero Punctuation using that ad that takes up the screen and de-syncs the damn video? Gimme a break, Escapist! It doesn't work right!

TheFederation:
moviebob is gonna have some words with yahtzee

that would be something worth seeing

I've been tempted to pick up Rayman for the last couple months. Is there a real difference between the Wii and 360 version? I've noticed that the Wii version is generally reviewed higher.

Yahtzee continues to criticize Mario in the most arbitrary ways possible....would it help if the stars were replaced by Nirnroots, Riddler trophies, or pigeons?.....

Wait a minute......you don't collect stars in SM3D.....

Rayman Origins is definitely not the type of game I'd usually play but I ended up playing it with my friend on his console in co-op mode, it was surprisingly fun and I usually don't like platformers.

This is as good a time as any: Yahtzee, you are gone reveiw upcoming Fire Emblem Game?

Nailguns to the shins?

Surely you meant arrows to the knee?

(I'm sorry. I'm truly sorry. I am a horrible person)

Know what? They should do it. Hell, the Escapist should just bring back Extra Consideration and let them hammer it out.

saregos:
Nailguns to the shins?

Surely you meant arrows to the knee?

(I'm sorry. I'm truly sorry. I am a horrible person)

Don't make me post the video...

The Great JT:
Look at it this way: if it's fun, who cares?

I don't think yathzee can afford to have such a simple outlook on gaming. Besides I think he genuinely didn't enjoy the super mario 3d land because he's tired of how same it is with the previous titles. Meanwhile Rayman was a breath of fresh air simply because it was different and it being different made it fun.

Man that Thwomps-with-balls idea is so stupid, but I'm going to be laughing at it at random for the rest of the day!

I still got Mario 3d Land and also have an issue with the non-themed worlds. I think I was an ice level and a desert level in the same world. What sense does that make? I seem to not be playing it right now for some reason, so I can agree with the half-heartedness issue. They call it "being safe".

The Gentleman:
One of these days, Marios going to kick Bowser's ass for no reason and Bowser will file assault and battery charges against him, ending the franchise ten-years too late.

They'll turn the court case into a game, possibly a Phoenix Wright tie in!

OT Rayman was brilliant, bought it for a nephew.... he never got it!

Electrogecko:

Wait a minute......you don't collect stars in SM3D.....

Seeing how he literally didn't say anything about the game excpet the same info you could probably get looking at the box, I have my doubts about him even playing it.

Oh for pete sake, just play Dark Souls Yahtzee. Stop being a p****, the game is really easier than Demon's Souls in many ways, and you know you might actually like the game. You know you want to!

0o

GRRRRR ahhhhh GRRRRRRR ahhhhh GRRRRR ahhhh

...I think Yahtzee popped something.

To be fair Yahtzee, he didn't collect stars....
He collected coins.....with starts on them.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here