Zero Punctuation: Super Mario 3D Land & Rayman Origins

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

my favarite Rayman game - Rayman3

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait......

Yahtzee played Super Meat Boy? Why has there been no review of it?

I'm guessing Yahtzee never got to the special worlds in SM3DL. The main game is a bit short, yes, but once you get to the special worlds, it becomes ten times better.

While there's no denying that SM3DL is a bit weak for a Mario game, it's still pretty damn fun for what it is. And isn't fun what games are all about?

And as for the 3D... Well, despite the name of the console, 3D is actually the least important thing the 3DS has to offer. I bought my 3DS for Streetpass/Spotpass, the eShop, the Gamecube-level graphics, the analog stick, and, most importantly, the many promising games coming in the near future.

oktalist:
"The lives system, a stupid and outdated concept that Nintendo nevertheless have to stick to because of an ancient Voodoo curse that will make their bell-ends explode if they so much as think for five minutes."

I laughed so hard I missed the rest of the video.

Rayman orgins immeadiatly earns points in my book for ditching the lives system.

Oh look, Yahtzee is reviewing another Nintendo game! let's see if he thinks it's worth playing.

Nope. The exact same arguments he made toward every Nintendo game he's ever reviewed, right down to the "half of the review bitching about the system itself" aspect of it.

Honestly, he accuses Nintendo of being bland and formulaic yet every time he reviews game from them it's like he's using the exact same system of "dart board" that he accuses Nintendo of.

This is a perfect example of such a case. Rayman Origins, while good holds it's prestige because it's essentially NSMBWii with different characters and not just on the Wii. Yahtzee's review of NSMBWii? (which apparently he couldn't even dignify with a standalone review and instead is compared negatively to Left 4 Dead 2) Bile, hatred, venom and oh yes labelled as the exact same as every prior Mario game (no, not just every prior Mario platformer, EVERY MARIO GAME PERIOD!) This is really stupid as Left 4 Dead 2, which is pretty much the exact same game as before is compared favorably to it. His review of Rayman which is essentially the same but with a different coat of paint? Practically ready to marry it.

Really, if he doesn't like Nintendo he should just stop reviewing them. At least then he's not judging games without ever playing them.

The Gentleman:

Zachary Amaranth:

The Gentleman:
One of these days, Marios going to kick Bowser's ass for no reason and Bowser will file assault and battery charges against him, ending the franchise ten-years too late.

Super Mario: TRO.

Super Mario San Quintin has a nice ring to it.

CSI: Mushroom Kingdom would be amusing, too.

"It looks like Mario finally got..."

*puts on sunglasses*

"1-upped."

*Cue Who song of some sort*

I like how you showed Super Meat Boy and later mentioned the "instant respawn" mechanic. The lives system is a main reason why people keep using "infinite lives" tricks. (At least I do in SMB 2: The Lost Levels.) Even Nintendo themselves might think it's stupid, thus throwing 1-ups everywhere and giving this game and the Gameboy Advance remake of SMB 3 1000-life limits.

This review did not seem complete, Yahtzee has done reviews like this before which felt complete and in depth but this one seems like Ray Man only got like 20 seconds of review while Mario got most of the video. And most of the Mario thing had to do with Nintendo running the franchise to the ground than the actual game.

Shadowstar38:
Its weird how much Yahtzee praised Rayman while the reception to it from most other reviews were luke warm at best. Still, this game is one of the best to come out of 2011.

As for Mario. Well its Mario so there you go.

Don't you mean 2012?

Warforger:
This review did not seem complete, Yahtzee has done reviews like this before which felt complete and in depth but this one seems like Ray Man only got like 20 seconds of review while Mario got most of the video. And most of the Mario thing had to do with Nintendo running the franchise to the ground than the actual game.

Shadowstar38:
Its weird how much Yahtzee praised Rayman while the reception to it from most other reviews were luke warm at best. Still, this game is one of the best to come out of 2011.

As for Mario. Well its Mario so there you go.

Don't you mean 2012?

No. These are both games from 2011 that he's reviewing now because game releases are back in the dry spell.

Nomanslander:
Oh for pete sake, just play Dark Souls Yahtzee. Stop being a p****, the game is really easier than Demon's Souls in many ways, and you know you might actually like the game. You know you want to!

0o

Give it up dude. He'll review dark souls after he reviews starcraft two.

I am so tempted to just copy-paste GRRR-AHHHH! a dozen times.
Instead: Good job, Yahtzee, you Herculean exemplar, for still making me laugh after at least 3+ years, or whenever long ago you got this gig!

Keep up the good work!!!

Yeah it's great that Rayman Origins got a boxed release, too bad not too many people wanted to buy it.

As for SM3DL, it's okay I guess. The rhythm level was the only one that really interested me. For my 3D platformers, I prefer games like 64 and Galaxy that feel like they have big worlds to explore, rather than a straight A to B.

TheFederation:
moviebob is gonna have some words with yahtzee

Falseprophet:

IncredibleKoosh:

Shadowstar38:
Its weird how much Yahtzee praised Rayman while the reception to it from most other reviews were luke warm at best.

88/100 - Xbox 360
87/100 - PS3
92/100 - Wii

If someone threw water that lukewarm at me my face would melt off.

But in the Bizarro World of video game reviews a "mere" 88/100 might as well be a 45.

Yeah... It's HATE out of ten don'tcha know. So 88 is like... Double hate.

TheFederation:

I can't stand Movie Bob's attitude to gaming. We get it. You like Mario3. But your slavish adoration cripples you critical faculties.

Rayman gave me Rayman 2.

Rayman 2 is the greatest thing ever.

I shall play this.

TheKmanofAwesometon:
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait......

Yahtzee played Super Meat Boy? Why has there been no review of it?

He mentioned it in an Extra Punctuation. He said he liked the game, but not so much its sense of humor.

"other, less stupid consoles"

I laughed out loud at that =D

Also considering getting a 3DS. Is there anything GOOD for it?

I liked the platforming in Super Mario Land 3D, or Super Mario 3D Land, but I do admit, I was pissed off whenever a new level I got to was a re-skinned, slightly harder, slightly bull-shittier, and a significantly less fun to play version of a level I had completed multiple times before.

I'm tempted to look into Rayman Origins now.

ResonanceSD:

I got one to replace my broken lite, but I'd wait for a bit if you're not desperate. All I'm really looking forward to are Luigi's mansion 2 and Paper Mario.

Well, I actually liked Super Mario 3D Land, I'm not a big fan of the 3D Mario games, but 3D Land had level design akin to the 2D games (Which is what they were clearly going for with the bite-size levels). Plus, the 3D actually helps someone like me who has difficulty with depth perception in games. I don't want to sound like a butt-hurt Nintendo fan, but I wish he would have actually reviewed the game for what it is like he did Skyward Sword...

i fucking love rayman!!!!

but not sopa.

ORIGINS! ORIGINS!
Now i'm wondering when (and if) they do realease a new ssb, i hope now they'll see that rayman would be a BAMF in that game.

seriously though, its good to know i share most of my oppinions with yahtzee, like origins' insane amount of fun and stupidly steep difficulty curve. But weirdly enough, he never said anything about the fact that the game has precision platforming, and that it's all about the flow in that game. on the other hand, yeah Land 3D Mario Super seems short, but keep in mind that this game was made by the galaxy team and it was there first attempt at a good ol' clasic mario game...that and it was supposed to be a seaqual to New Super Mario Bros. Wii. But since he liked origins I'm willing to agree that SM3DL is a little...blegh. Certanitly not as much fun as Sonic Generations.

I think I was actually just convinced to buy a Rayman game again...
Time to dig out my old copy of Rayman while I gather the cash.

I think the end of the review will earn its place as one of the classic moments in ZP history. Although not quite up there with the ending of that one Tomb Raider game review where he just lapsed into saying a bunch of synonyms for "boobs".

beetrain:

ResonanceSD:

I got one to replace my broken lite, but I'd wait for a bit if you're not desperate. All I'm really looking forward to are Luigi's mansion 2 and Paper Mario.

That's good to know. I'm in the same situation with my lite but I will hold off a bit.

LordLundar:
Fanboy RAEG

Fanboys and their religious fervor never cease to amuse me.

Yahtzee's completely correct. SM3LD had exactly TWO good moments (at least they were so good that they almost made the purchase worth the money). The very last level and the very very last level (if you played through it, you'll get it)

With a playtime of about 10 hours (100%ing it) and generally bland and unchallenging level design MLSD3 is not the game I expected. :C

Let's face uncomfortable facts, shall we. Even as hardcore Nintendo fanboy, you have to admit that ever since Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island there hasn't been an outstanding 2D platformer from Nintendo (and DLM3S is so restrictively linear it might've very well been 2D). New Super Mario Bros Wii just wasn't good (and don't get me started on the DS installment).

Glad to see Rayman Origins getting such a raving review. I mean... an Aaahhhhh from Yahtzee is as good as it gets. It deserves all the praise. It has incredible aesthetics that will look beautiful even 10 years from now. Sound and graphic design is gorgeous and outstanding and it's hilarious fun, even more so when played with a friend. And it's a platformer with some teeth.

Definitely a Must Buy (and you can find it for even less now... a shame really but good for cheap skates)

TheFederation:

I think people tend to exaggerate this "moviebob is a Nintendo fanboy" thing quite a bit. He may show a general preference for them, sure, but he's certainly not going to attack anyone for disagreeing. Hell, I believe he's gone on record saying that Yahtzee's reviews are great.

TJC:
Even as hardcore Nintendo fanboy, you have to admit that ever since Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island there hasn't been an outstanding 2D platformer from Nintendo (and DLM3S is so restrictively linear it might've very well been 2D). New Super Mario Bros Wii just wasn't good (and don't get me started on the DS installment)

[citation needed]

I watched my older brother (25) play it. He's good, and the game looks so fun I might try it out once he finishes. I think I'll like the no-lives system,since I don't have to worry about dying. And the whole Lums systems is VERY catching; it's like some sort of urge to get enough.

I wouldn't of never guessed seeing Yahtzee praise a game so much, which turned out to be Ramen Origins so that's definitely the biggest twist I came across while watching his reviews. Still, I can see why he would given the fact he's right about a lot of points while the remarks on Mario are sadly true. It's like, Nintendo isn't really trying.. or least they think that keeping the same formula will last them a life time will succeed, something like that.

Not saying Mario games are bad, oh no.. the Galaxy one was cool. Just, I think they're not putting enough time into their games to realize there could be a lot of improvements. Why focus on one concept like Mario's raccoon tail while they could of changed up how to play Mario. Just saying.

Razhem:

Electrogecko:

Wait a minute......you don't collect stars in SM3D.....

Seeing how he literally didn't say anything about the game excpet the same info you could probably get looking at the box, I have my doubts about him even playing it.

Hmm....and his comments about the game are rather generic(Typical Yahtzee comments on Mario) and not really that specific. It seems possible that he DID just look at some screenshots and judged that game from that.

Also, would it really be that good of an idea to get rid of the 1-Up mushrooms in the game? It's a staple of the series! Besides, it's not like this(or any Mario game) really punishes you that hard for dying.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Super Mario 3D Land & Rayman Origins

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Super Mario 3D Land and Rayman Origins.

Watch Video

Is Rayman good enough for you to reconsider your top five games of 2011? You didn't level a single criticism against the game, a feat only Portal has managed before, did you have them but just didn't include them in the review to contrast the greatness of Rayman Origins vs. the terrible design of Super Mario 3D Land 3D (where is that supposed to go anyway)? If you did have criticism against Rayman, what was it?

Too bad that Rayman Origins devolve a lot from Rayman 3. I don't have nothing against nostalgia but, REALLY?!

Besides, the PS3 version looks like the Wii. C'mon Ubisoft!

beetrain:

ResonanceSD:

The original Paper Mario (N64) is one of my favourite games for that platform.

Not G. Ivingname:

Is Rayman good enough for you to reconsider your top five games of 2011? You didn't level a single criticism against the game, a feat only Portal has managed before, did you have them but just didn't include them in the review to contrast the greatness of Rayman Origins vs. the terrible design of Super Mario 3D Land 3D (where is that supposed to go anyway)? If you did have criticism against Rayman, what was it?

I don't think it works like that. Rayman Origins is a good platformer and it doesn't aspire to be something else. It hasn't got much of a story to say. so that's all there is really. It's the same with Team Fortress 2. It's a very good Multiplayer FPS. That's it. That's why he isn't professing his love for the game. He can't find any faults to it, but it also doesn't have much you can say that is positive.

On the other hand, you can get a game like MW 3 which does have a good, all-be-it derivative, multiplayer, but it has a very shitty campaign, if you are to compare it with it's previous installments. So, although Team Fortress 2 may be faultless and MW 3 has a lot of problems, their isn't that much of a gap.

That's why I don't think he made such a big deal of it. Other than it was a very nice experience to play.

ResonanceSD:
"other, less stupid consoles"

I laughed out loud at that =D

Some of the announced games: Paper Mario 3DS, Luigi's Mansion 2, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Resident Evil: Revelations, Heroes of Ruin (a very promising hack-and-slash game from Square), and two Professor Layton games, one of which is a crossover with Phoenix Wright.

Also, Ocarina of Time 3D, despite being a remake, is definitely worth your money. The game was rebuilt from scratch, and it makes the original almost unplayable in comparison, which is probably saying something.

Hopefully Yahtzee's positive review will get more people to buy Rayman Origins... because according to Ubisoft, that's the only way we'll get another "Beyond Good and Evil" game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here