Trailers: Mass Effect 3 - Kinect Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Mass Effect 3 - Kinect Trailer

Now there's a benefit to shouting at your television.

Watch Video

"Better with Kinect"

Better. With. Kinect.

Ha.

Hahahhahahhahahahhahahahaha.

Duffeknol:
"Better with Kinect"

Better. With. Kinect.

Ha.

THIS is why the game was delayed for 4 months? Woop-De-Fuckin'-Do! Thankfully it wasnt a waste of time afterall!
Better with kinect indeed. "The response is quick, really really quick"... yeah you know whats quicker than saying something outloud? Pressing a button and then having that happen instantly -.-

Why can't we just use normal 360 headsets like you can with Tom Clancy's EndWar?

Irridium:
Why can't we just use normal 360 headsets like you can with Tom Clancy's EndWar?

This. Why have the kinect at all if we are only using it as a glorified microphone.

Unless the voice recognition capability is bundled with the hardware and not the game. idk

seems so strange. This isn't even a new concept. Manhunt on ps2 let you trigger events with your voice. as well as End war as this guy said.

its the same!! I have my suspicions that it will only work exclusively with the kinect.

balls

No matter how much faster the kinect supposedly makes gameplay, I almost guarantee that any PC gamer will be faster without voice activation.

When the technology has progressed, say in like 10 years, and we're playing Mass Effect 9, THEN I'd like to see Kinect support. As in you can actually talk to the characters in the conversations and say whatever you want, and the game would react to that. Now that would be nice.

"I have to say better with kinect or i'll lose my job :D"

unfortunarely, by the time he had finished pronouncing the word "examine", i had alraedy done it by pressing a button and moved on...

Until the kinect can tell the difference between sarcasm and optimism when I choose a conversation option and vary the paragon/renegade points accordingly, that device will a remain a stupid, overdesigned, incredibly expensive and clunky keyboard.

Well, that was a very nice commercial. I wonder how many of those people giving testimonials were paid actors (and before anyone calls it, the guy who claims that he'll buy a Kinect specifically to play ME3 is a paid actor for sure). You know what the last cool thing I saw about ME3 was the trailer in which a Thrasher Maw kills a Reaper and my interest in the game is waning fast.

Duffeknol:
"Better with Kinect"

Better. With. Kinect.

Ha.

That response made me giggle.

This is one of the reasons I don't ride the Xbox bus anymore. It's hard to take this shit seriously.

Coming from a guy who sides with a console that has bright dildo motion controls...

MY POINT STILL STANDS!

Hell why stop at voice commands im pretty sure you can delay the game a few more months so you can some how integrate the guitar from guitar hero into the game. why stop at one stupid gimmik

Response is quick? Quick as opposed to what??

The guy in the trailer shouts a command... then the camera slowly pans to the TV screen playing the game.. then after like a second the command takes place. That is quick??

Hmmm...Even assuming it worked that well, I already see several problems.

1. Those guys were using normal voices to give commands. That means that if anyone in the room is talking at a reasonable volume while I'm playing, Kinect is going to pick that up, too.

2. I don't want to annoy the hell out of my friends by talking to the TV while I'm playing. And/or look like an idiot talking to my TV while I'm playing.

3. I actually enjoy pausing the game when I use powers. Allows me to take my time, think things over, examine the battlefield. So even if this worked perfectly, it still wouldn't help me at all.

4. Even if you want your Mass Effect combat to be as quick as possible, pushing a button still takes far less time then saying a word. So no matter how you play Mass Effect, the controller is your best bet.

This product is useless on so many levels. It's kind of mind-blowing.

Well it was a staple of the game to be able to pause, strategize, and sync your attacks with your squad members, but i guess not anymore. sigh.

I'll be waiting for the ultimate golden game of the year addition version. which will actually have all the content in it, rather than having to pre-order from half a dozen different stores, the day one dlc, and the 3 and 6 month dlc that tells the rest of the game's story. You know, like the whole Liara dlc? Or perhaps the intro into ME3 dlc that ME2 had, and so on. yeah I'm just going to watch a lets play of it and burn my copy of ME2.

this series has become the Matrix movie trilogy for me. Liked the first one, and living in denial that the other two movies existed.

Like this: http://xkcd.com/566/

Duffeknol:
When the technology has progressed, say in like 10 years, and we're playing Mass Effect 9, THEN I'd like to see Kinect support. As in you can actually talk to the characters in the conversations and say whatever you want, and the game would react to that. Now that would be nice.

i would swear way to much and all the characters would hate me even if i was paying them a compliment. i talk to my self when i play rpgs, and i swear a lot just because i can.

OT: i like this, gives the kinect my family got something to do cuz it's just sitting there for now.

Um, why do we need Kinect for that? Can't it be done with a regular headset? This seems like major overkill to me.

Yes; the voice recognition is done entirely by the Kinect, draining no cycles from the Xbox. It also have several microphones, coupled with some audio processing, so that it can isolate the speaker, compensating for background noise and room dynamics.

That is part of the whole idea of the just-you-in-the-middle-of-the-room-without-any-wiring concept, that they modelled the motion control component around.

There is some rather neat and well low-pricepoint-engineered stuff in that thing. Unfortunately they may have targeted it at an unsuitable market, although I can easily imagine a brainstorming meeting, where they struggled to come up with an application and ended up with games as the only one viable.
Too bad that even without the inevitable gimmicky impression, inherent latency issues somewhat nerfs it as a controller for anything fast-paced (at least until the users get well adjusted to having to anticipate the action earlier. EDIT: ...and see between finger with the delay between action and response and which may also require developers to give cues earlier and make them less subtle).

Next thing they will try (...or are trying, I suppose), is control of TV-sets and then; who knows - the current sort of setup will probably only work in a controlled environment, since I expect any other IR light source in the room should mess up the kinect's projected scatter of dots.

I'm still planning to get one, mind - probably one of the new ones, with close-up optics (EDIT: ...which should be able to do a fairly detailed 3D capture of, say, a face - instantly and cheaply).

Ignoring the pitiful attempts to market it as something cool and and trendy, under the hood it consists of some rather nice nerd-shinies, for which there are bedroom developers coming up with various applications; some simply silly excercises, some kind of useful (at least as a proof of concept prototype), such as spatial awareness for robotics and aid for the visually impaired, not to mention the whole motion-capture-on-a-shoestring-budget thing.

Irridium:

Well who will buy Kinect then :P
No no, only Kinect can do voice recognition, it is that special.

There is quite an obvious multi second delay on those commands, and make sure the room is absolutely quiet or it will fuck up, so yeah make your games laggy horse shit with Kinect for only 159.99, order now!

I want to see how responsive it really is. The first voice command you see is really sluggish and you don't really get to see the rest clearly.

So pointing Shep at something and saying "James, carnage", then looking at something else and going "Miranda, flash" before finally looking at a third target and saying "Frag Grenade" is somehow quicker/better/more efficient than pausing the game and selecting all 3 targets/powers which then go off simultaneously?

Completely ignoring the fact that Microsoft's coveted motion controller is being used as a glorified mic...

I personally won't be using it. Not interested in it, but it looks pretty cool nevertheless.

Hey all lets post lots of "dis iz stoopid huh uh huh" comments because change or innovation in our games is scary and we won't stand for it!

Yay, Kinect a very expensive microphone. Voice commands for you gaming device have been around since I brought the very first sound blaster card in 1990. Wonder why it did not catch on? Obviously like 3D it's making a comeback. Why do I feel it is Microsoft chucking money at devs begging 'just do something with Kinect, please...'

I love that everyone is complaining that the Kinect ONLY acknowledges voice commands for this game. You all know if it required more than that you'd be complaining about "why can't I just have my controller."

Yes it's gimmicky, and yes it seems a little slower to respond than what your hands (that you've been training to do for years) can probably do. Whether anyone wants to believe it or not, there are people out there who would be very interested in this type of gameplay. They're clearly trying to make the player more closely feel like they're the Commander Shepard by barking out orders and attempting to keep the battle gameplay fluid. I'm probably not gonna get it, but only because I don't have an Xbox anymore but for someone whose family might have a Kinect, I think this is a nice additional use for the hardware. I don't see a lot of people going out of their way to buy a Kinect just for this, but if it's there, why not get some use out of it.

Everyone wanted more "hardcore" games for things like Kinect and Playstation Move, but now that you're getting it, people are complaining.

I don't see why everyone is getting so worked up. This is an OPTIONAL feature with an OPTIONAL device that is in NO WAY REQUIRED to play ME3. Relax folks.

This looks like a really bad idea. Ending a trilogy of games that focus on dialogue and character interaction with KINECT. . . mmmm....

LOL

. . .

They were probably bought out to basically advertise Kinect.

I don't really care about all the kinect bullshit, I'm playing it on the PC anyway.

I personally refuse to buy a Kinect. That's pretty much all I have to say on the subject.

Duffeknol:
"Better with Kinect"

Better. With. Kinect.

Ha.

That's like saying that golfing is better with sand traps, sure they make things more challenging, but they are a pain none the less.
I fear this game will put the SUCK in suck.

So I say Concussion grenade and after staying wide open for enemies to shoot me for a couple of seconds, a greande gets thrown, that's the mechanic in a cover based shooter?

I see the usage off "Miranda - Cover me" type of voice commands for support characters, but other than that, not really any pros to this gameplay, who would want to say Examine, Open... you might as well then add a command like Shoot, Walk forward and then just go all the way and go play Zork.

They really should think of usages in games before making stuff like Kinect, in fact I'm amazed that they still haven't got around to more interesting usages for it.

oh dear there we go again! the kinect is still good! its not just to copy nintendo! please buy one before we go bankrupt :'(

Duffeknol:
"Better with Kinect"

Better. With. Kinect.

Ha.

Seconded. That's the stupidest, least immersive thing I've ever seen. Now if you'd excuse me, I'm off to the shooting range to yell at my gun to fire.

seriously, pressing a button is still faster then saying it.

sir.rutthed:
Um, why do we need Kinect for that? Can't it be done with a regular headset? This seems like major overkill to me.

*said sweetly* But it's only a couple hundred extra dollars for something that you don't need and doesn't help much. Why would you think it's overkill? */said sweetly*

We were promised this years ago with PC shooters, where bots/NPC will react to our voice command, like UT2K4 era... but I actually never get to use any of that... now X-boX is claiming that they "created" this feature? damn...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here