Escape to the Movies: Red Tails

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Red Tails

George Lucas chronicles the Tuskegee Airmen.

Watch Video

Been real excited for this one! (the bad reviews that is). But wait? It's not bad?

The marketing for this film seemed rather shallow, glad it doesn't suck.
So George, this is what you've been holding out on us?

Bob two of the photos you used are Meisha Tate (A Far more successful MMA Fighter than Gina) and Jiu Jitsu champion Kyra Gracie.

George Lucas has my undying respect no matter how many Special Editions he attempts to shove onto shelves. The man is a visionary whose work changed the movie industry for the better. Is he a good director? The jury is out on that one, but he is a brilliant filmmaker. How many other directors out there have actually gone out of their way to create the technology required for their dream project, solely for the purpose of creating said project? The only others that I can think of are James Cameron and possibly Peter Jackson.

No matter how many people tell me about gungans and ewoks and how George Lucas is bad, I WILL see this movie. Mainly to see what Lucas is doing now, but also I'm interested about the artistic vision. Thanks for that recommendation.

bo ya, Moviebob, way to tell those Star Wars "fans" to stop saying George Lucas sucks, honesty at this point it goes from annoying to outright painful.

Also Red Tails seems interesting I may see in threaters or when it comes out on dvd.

A couple of things.

I figured it would be a good movie. George Lucas is most likely still inept at what he professes to do. And it wasn't the fact that there was CGI in the Star Wars movies SE's and prequels, it's that it was utilized so poorly that it showed his inability to set up a scene. He also used so much of it in the prequels that it literally made the scenes boring and the actors unable to properly convey the situation because nothing they were doing was interacting with real world things. What with all the looking out the windows all the time.

That said, I think he probably did a lot of things right on this movie. He is working with great actors, and they are for the part in the real world. The CGI doesn't seem over the top and from the previews it looks well done.

I look forward to seeing this and the cast of great actors/characters they have in the movie.

Also, Gina Corano is hot. I hope she acts well. The fallback of Cynthia Rothrock. Kickass, but shit poor actor. And WB will never be able to make a movie like Wonder Woman. Why? Because they are not capable of hiring the right people to do the job. I know I don't need to remind you Green Lantern. Superman Returns suffered from Bryan Singers competent but boring direction. Even though it was probably the best Superman movie made (nostalgia aside). Too bad Zack Snyder has the next one. So I guess I'll go and re-watch Superman Returns now.

Judging a movie on the movie rather than the reputation of it's producer? What madness is this?

Actually Bob, if I may;

I'd say the Tuskegee Airmen got quite a good film made about them the the horrors they faced both from the enemy and from their own government in the 1995 film "The Tuskegee Airmen" staring Laurence Fishburne, Cuba Gooding Jr.(who is also in Red Tails), Allen Payne, Malcom Jamal-Warner and John Lithgow to name a few.

Going to see this next week, not to support Lucas (man has enough money) but to support serious movies involving a primarily black cast. I saw his interview with Stewart on how hard it was to get this movie in theaters because it's a black movie without "Tyler Perry" in the title and it was rather depressing.

And there was a 1995 Tuskegee Airman movie with Fishbourn and Gooding Jr that I remember watching in my high school AF-JROTC unit. Will be interesting to compare the two.

I totally got the point of that seven part series.

The point is Plinkett likes to f*** his cat.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

You liked the Underworld movies?!

My head is hurting just trying to absorb that notion.

I feel a bit like the kid who everyone groans when they raise their hand for saying this, but...

Copyright 2011 Themis media?

Would be an alright review if you didn't needlessly jump in pre-emptively to attack people who (in the case where it's relevant, in other words the Star Wars franchise) take the only sensible position on the matter. By forcing the issue, you only make yourself look like a massive jackass.

Haywire sounds very good. Will go see.

Zhukov:
Whoa, whoa, whoa!

I agree.

Answer up Bob, is the only reason the Underworld films don't get tossed in the "brain-dead action films for retards" section of your folder because Kate Beckinsale is cuter than Jason Statham? BE HONEST!

OT: War movies aren't really my thing. Haywire will be a rental for me.

I think he was reaching for examples more on that one. I'd say that Gina is by far the most marketable consideration for Wonder Woman though.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Zhukov:
Whoa, whoa, whoa!

I agree.

Answer up Bob, is the only reason the Underworld films don't get tossed in the "brain-dead action films for retards" section of your folder because Kate Beckinsale is cuter than Jason Statham? BE HONEST!

The Underworld films (also most Statham vehicles)are pretty good mindless fun IMO. A good opportunity to turn the brain off for a bit and just enjoy the film. Not everything has to be theatrical gold in order to be entertaining.

I love action. I. Love. Action. But when all the action in a movie in concentrated 100% on CGI alone, I'm sorry, it just looks like a video game cutscene. I'll still go see it, but CGI just isn't impressive or fun any longer. Props, models, hard to shoot camera angles are ALWAYS more exciting than any impossible flyby super explosion insane stunt whatever thing that comes out of a computer. Why? Because CGI looks weightless and fake. In all cases. Always.

And no, I did not miss the point of the Plinkett reviews.

wowthisishard:
Would be an alright review if you didn't needlessly jump in pre-emptively to attack people who (in the case where it's relevant, in other words the Star Wars franchise) take the only sensible position on the matter. By forcing the issue, you only make yourself look like a massive jackass.

You must be new here.

wowthisishard:

As much as I like to stick up for Movie Bob on most issues... Yeah I got that feeling too. Yeah, they'll be a few butthurt fans of the other movies (I'm one of them) however, I'd like to remain objective and view a movie based on its own merits and not who was behind it. Instead I've already been preemptively attacked for hating the movie because I refuse to acknowledge the existence of the Star Wars prequels.

I had no intention of discussing anything to do with Star Wars, though now you've sort of opened the flood gates for that to happen.

Also, from what I've seen and read recently, you seem to have a thing against other rising critics... I don't get this.

Otherwise, I might give this film a try next time I get paid, been meaning to get some cinema time behind me. Its been a while and there's nothing much else out. What I will criticize this movie for is the marketing, so far I've heard nothing about the movie, if you'd not reviewed it and I hadn't hurt a couple Star Wars fans talking about it, this film would have probably slipped under my radar.

Mike Lemus:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Zhukov:
Whoa, whoa, whoa!

I agree.

The Underworld films (also most Statham vehicles)are pretty good mindless fun IMO. A good opportunity to turn the brain off for a bit and just enjoy the film. Not everything has to be theatrical gold in order to be entertaining.

I could not agree more. I love the Underworld movies, and I loved The Expendables. I also don't like people calling me a drooling simpleton for liking the latter over "I don't have a personality" Michael Cera.

I won't say who called The Expendables audience that, but his name rhymes with Rob Crapman.

thank you bob for finally saying what iv been feeling for forever! enough with the Lucas bashing!!! we get he made some changes to his movies and made a couple of less then stellar prequels. I'm just so sick of being able to predict with godlike accuracy that when eve hes brought up someones going to bitch about him and make jokes about him playing with his "junk" and making bad movies that stopped being funny(if they ever were) years ago! are we so jaded and angry that we cant remember the good things he gave us? seriously?!?!!?

OT:didn't know how to approach this movie withe it was going to be a wesley snipes kind of film where everyone who's white is immediately evil and racist or the opposite where its completely white washed and every things hunky Dorry and the Americans are gleefully killing those evil Nazis with a smile on there face.

its nice to know that it seems like it falls somewhere in the middle the fact that that Aaron McGruder is included in there tells me that there's definitely some edge to it with out it being too dark ( racist pun not intended) but is played up much like sands of iwo jima and its ilk. definitely thinking of giving this one a try

Why would you want a Wonderwoman movie? She's the worst thing DC ever did and her one saving graces has slipped into total irrelevancy. And that's backed up by the film you pointed out. With the leading actor that you suggested as a good Wonderwoman.

If Wonderwomans message of female empowerment, etc etc, was still needed. There wouldn't be a film with an insanely capable leading female action hero in it in the first place.

Also I think the bit with you raging about nerds raging was too hypocritical. Even for you.

Almost inception hypocrisy. A rage about a rage within a rage.

I am dying, absolutely dying to see this film! Thankfully it turns out to be good and now I am even more excited about seeing it.

I'm extremely excited for Underworld 4, since I saw the first three. The first movie was good, 2nd was amazing, third was not as good as the first or second but still alright (3rd movie curse I reckon) and now the 4th makes me smile like a child eager for a Christmas treat. Can't wait!

As for this movie, it seems to be good. I'm impressed how far we got in technology, how CGI and visual effects can make a movie look this good while still referencing the past with old events like World War II. Makes me happy that those guys got the appreciation they deserve, wanting to fight for our country despite the odds. God bless them.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Mike Lemus:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

I agree.

I could not agree more. I love the Underworld movies, and I loved The Expendables. I also don't like people calling me a drooling simpleton for liking the latter over "I don't have a personality" Michael Cera.

I won't say who called The Expendables audience that, but his name rhymes with Rob Crapman.

I couldn't agree more with your lack of being able to agree more to the previous comment... I went there.

Action movies are great. Not every story has to be deep and complex and full of so many twisty turny things that they'd make a slinky dizzy.

Sometimes it's great just to watch people shoot, rip, explode and slice the shit out of each other. We're humans. We love that shit. And I'm not to highbrow to admit it.

.. Also tits. If they have tits, even better. Also ass, in-fact the ass is more important.

Just a quick "thank you" Bob for reviewing the movie instead of dwelling on Lucas, but also not ignoring that topic. It's been disappointing that so much chatter leading up to this has centered around the Jar Jar Binks man making a movie with an African American cast. Which isn't to say that isn't a point worth making, but it's gotten rather overwhelming on the internet.

Dear god is it difficult typing with CF's avatar staring at me. :D

LaBambaMan:
Actually Bob, if I may;

I'd say the Tuskegee Airmen got quite a good film made about them the the horrors they faced both from the enemy and from their own government in the 1995 film "The Tuskegee Airmen" staring Laurence Fishburne, Cuba Gooding Jr.(who is also in Red Tails), Allen Payne, Malcom Jamal-Warner and John Lithgow to name a few.

Yeah this is what I was going to see. I didn't remember the exact name of the film or which year it came out, but with everyone talking about them getting their due for 'the first time' I couldn't help but remember seeing a well done movie about this guys 10+ years ago and wondering what the hell people were talking about.

If I recall, The Tuskegee Airmen (1995) was quite good. I might take the time to see this one as well.

I liked the first underworld movie. Two...err...I kind of feel it loses its way around the middle with the captain and stuff. Rise of the Lycans...cool, but rather inconsquential. The forth one I'm not too sure about specially since Michael was a such an important part of the first two movies and he's not in this one at all. Selene may be seen in the trailer going "Where's Michael?!" but since Scott Speedman was simply not cast the answer is clearly "not in this movie", and so deflates the whole tense issue that I guess she's supposed to have.

I was going to see Haywire anyway, since I like Gina Carano and I like "super-agent betrayed by own agency and goes rogue to stop them" movies, even if this is like the 20th version of this story since the Cold War ended. Having more realistic action over the usual CGI/shaky-cam silliness just cinched it.

wowthisishard:

The sensible position would be, "George Lucas released the horrible prequel trilogy and changed the original movies so I no longer like them. And he seems to ignore the concerns of his fanbase, or at least, weighs their complaints against the millions of dollars people still continue to pay him. I will stop giving him my money, and my attention, and move on to other things I do like." Trust me, there will be a lot less bile and negativity in your life if you do this.

Bob you're putting your personal opinions into a video again! Don't you know Real Reviewers are supposed to be 100% objective???

Seriously though, this looks super cheesy. The trailer made me cringe ("Courage has no colour? Really?), I don't think I could watch an entire movie of that.

Would be an alright review if you didn't needlessly jump in pre-emptively to attack people who (in the case where it's relevant, in other words the Star Wars franchise) take the only sensible position on the matter.

Oh noes, someone on the internet is "attacking" you. Better call the SWAT team.

Wait wait wait, have I missed something? People are slating a completely unrelated movie because Lucas once thought up jarjar binks?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here