Escape to the Movies: Red Tails

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

MatParker116:
Bob two of the photos you used are Meisha Tate (A Far more successful MMA Fighter than Gina) and Jiu Jitsu champion Kyra Gracie.

Yikes! Good catch, boy do I feel silly. Time to break down and buy a clearer monitor (this thing is still standard-def!)

wooty:
Wait wait wait, have I missed something? People are slating a completely unrelated movie because Lucas once thought up jarjar binks?

I've seen it. There are people who don't like the prequels and there are people who the prequels killed their pet, stole their money, and generally ruined their life it seems.

Quite frankly I'm a sucker for war movies. I'll have to go see this one.

I don't think George Lucas is bad.

It's just that one element can't run the whole show. George is one element.

When he can bounce his ideas off of others, movies turn out a lot better. While you may argue with Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, he was able to bounce his ideas of off Spielberg and it shows with the superior quality over the prequels. And for all of George's faults, he has a lot of passion for his work.

Sure, you may not like the changes made to the original movies, but the fact that he did go back and make those changes instead of just re-releasing the movie to make more money tells me that he is perpetually unsatisfied with his work. Which comes with anyone in the entertainment industry who is at all passionate about their work.

That's a lot more than what I can say about many film makers.

MovieBob:
Red Tails

George Lucas chronicles the Tuskegee Airmen.

Watch Video

Pretty sure they've made a movie on this subject before Bob...give me a moment

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tuskegee_airmen/

Yup, here it is.

And oh look! It was aparently good.

So, I am not sure what you mean about this topic not being covered before...

OT: I thought this movie could have been good, but it was just so pathetically marketed for me to have any interest in it, that being said, I say we are all a little hard on Lucas now and again...although his interview on Jon Stewart made him seem impossibly ignorant.

wowthisishard:
Would be an alright review if you didn't needlessly jump in pre-emptively to attack people who (in the case where it's relevant, in other words the Star Wars franchise) take the only sensible position on the matter. By forcing the issue, you only make yourself look like a massive jackass.

Yeah, I am sick and tired of Bob's nerd-baiting routine. For the most part I agree with what he is saying, but his tone is so full of self-righteous indignation* that it obfuscates everything he says. It's funny, when I first came across The Escapist I thought Bob was the one adult in the room. Since then I have come to realize that he is the biggest man-child around, and he makes Doug Walker (aka The Nostalgia Critic) look like Carl Sagan.

*I am aware of the irony that my username is Indignator and yet I am complaining about others being indignant.

Okay,
GunGans.........Nerd Rage
Ewoks............Somewhat less Nerd Rage
REvamped releases.....Uber Nerd Rage

Now that I have the obligatory nerd rage completed..... I actually am looking forward to this film to a great extent, I even put the 1995 film on my netflix que so as to see two takes on the subject and see which I like more. I hope it tuns out well in the end.

BTW, the 7-part review he's talking about it's RedLetterMedia/Plinkett's The Phantom Menace review, and he's basically saying stop using THAT to justify your hatred for the prequels.

Also, I saw the trailer for Underworld Reawakened on my 3DS! :D

You know... I wouldn't have even thought about Lucas' Star Wars shenanigans had you not brought the topic up, but since you did(thereby guaranteeing the kind of reaction you claim to be tired of), I'd just like to say that I would be more than happy to stop being annoyed by Lucas' revisionist tendencies if he would -I don't know- stop revising. Blu Ray. Four months ago. Just saying.

As for the movie itself, sounds like a fun movie, and I fully intend to watch it when it comes out here.

Also, totally agreed on the Wonder Woman bit, though she would also be a good pick for Electra if they wanted to try for an improved reboot of a Daredevil movie. Just keep Ben Affleck out of it.

Actually the only place I've heard about the George Lucas thing has been here on The Escapist, and that has just been everybody saying "Don't judge Red Tails based on what Lucas did with the Star Wars stuff", even the trailers don't talk about it, there's no "From the Creative mind of George Lucas" or something like that

It's been a long time since I've been this completely torn on a film.

When I first heard about it I was really excited to see it for a lot of the reasons explained in the video. It's a subject that hasn't been given the cinematic attention that it really deserves and I have a soft spot for WWII movies anyway.

Then I saw the advertising for it...all loud electronic music and brief bits of dialogue that I've only been able to describe as "aggressively modern." None of the promotional material makes me want to see the movie and that has nothing to do with my feelings about George Lucas as a director or as a human being.

But then I hear positive reviews such as this from reviewers and critics with whom I don't always agree but whose opinions on the subject matter I can at least respect.

I guess this is going to be one of those films that I will eventually see, but it's not going to be an opening weekend "must see" matinee for me.

For those bringing up "The Tuskegee Airmen," it was an HBO TV movie. Didn't get the same theatrical release that "Red Tails" is getting, which is probably what MovieBob, and most anyone calling this a first, means.

I hope Red Tails is just as good, or better.

Yeah, I wasn't really thinking of snubbing the film because it was directed by Lucas.

I was thinking of snubbing the film because it seemed like just another patriot-hyped movie that beat us over the head with "racism existed". I like it when racism is just an obstacle to over-come... not the main focus of a story.

Btw, I don't think I'll ever respect Lucas again, but I won't forgo a movie just because he was involved.

Abandon4093:
Why would you want a Wonderwoman movie? She's the worst thing DC ever did and her one saving graces has slipped into total irrelevancy. And that's backed up by the film you pointed out. With the leading actor that you suggested as a good Wonderwoman.

If Wonderwomans message of female empowerment, etc etc, was still needed. There wouldn't be a film with an insanely capable leading female action hero in it in the first place.

Also I think the bit with you raging about nerds raging was too hypocritical. Even for you.

Almost inception hypocrisy. A rage about a rage within a rage.

I'm kind of curious how you arrive at the conclusion that Wonder Woman is the worst thing ever to come out of DC. I agree she dated and she has had some writing problems (mostly that writers acknowledge she is supposed to be one of the three most important heroes in the DCU but shove her aside so they can write more Batman and Superman), but she is not a completely unusable character. That being said, I have the feeling that Warner Bros would have to put a lot more effort into making a good Wonder Woman movie than they would like and it would require the delicate vision of creators (at least writer and director) who are already fans and know what they want to do.

Orks da best:
bo ya, Moviebob, way to tell those Star Wars "fans" to stop saying George Lucas sucks, honesty at this point it goes from annoying to outright painful.

Also Red Tails seems interesting I may see in threaters or when it comes out on dvd.

Indeed, he tends to be an amazing producer. (The less said about his directing, editing, and writing, the better.) I'm glad this one gets the nod, both for subject matter and the rest.

j0frenzy:

Abandon4093:
Why would you want a Wonderwoman movie? She's the worst thing DC ever did and her one saving graces has slipped into total irrelevancy. And that's backed up by the film you pointed out. With the leading actor that you suggested as a good Wonderwoman.

If Wonderwomans message of female empowerment, etc etc, was still needed. There wouldn't be a film with an insanely capable leading female action hero in it in the first place.

Also I think the bit with you raging about nerds raging was too hypocritical. Even for you.

Almost inception hypocrisy. A rage about a rage within a rage.

I'm kind of curious how you arrive at the conclusion that Wonder Woman is the worst thing ever to come out of DC. I agree she dated and she has had some writing problems (mostly that writers acknowledge she is supposed to be one of the three most important heroes in the DCU but shove her aside so they can write more Batman and Superman), but she is not a completely unusable character. That being said, I have the feeling that Warner Bros would have to put a lot more effort into making a good Wonder Woman movie than they would like and it would require the delicate vision of creators (at least writer and director) who are already fans and know what they want to do.

The actual character concept could be quite interesting. It's just never been handled well, at all.

First off, she's an Amazonian warrior that just happens to dress like she's entering a miss America pageant. I mean seriously, that armour is ludicrous. It's not even the rule of skimp that bothers me. It's the fact that she's from a Greek myth but wares what is essentially a star spangled banner onesy, complete with tiara. She's also got an invisible plane and a lasso that makes people tell the truth. Also bullet deflecting bracelets.

She is just a poorly conceived character and has no relevance today. They would need to give her a complete reboot for her to even make sense.

And lets be honest, she was made for little more reason than for Marston to exercise his bondage fetish.

She would make a wonderful wonder woman.

So its basically just Soul Plane 2?

Had to stop when Bob's fanboy mode kicked in and he started whining about whining (with the usual vulgar assurance that "the whiners" are completely in the wrong). Stop getting fixated on things.

wooty:
Wait wait wait, have I missed something? People are slating a completely unrelated movie because Lucas once thought up jarjar binks?

I didn't catch that JarJar is racist.

I'm not sure if that's because I don't try to find racism in everything or if I just don't think race is homogenized enough to tie to cliche character tropes.

So for me JarJar was just odd, funny and odd.

Sort of like the Hitler Mustache.

How exactly did one man get to take that? Nobody calls a nice bushy one a "Stalin Stache"

Nautical Honors Society:

MovieBob:
Red Tails

George Lucas chronicles the Tuskegee Airmen.

Watch Video

Pretty sure they've made a movie on this subject before Bob...give me a moment

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tuskegee_airmen/

Yup, here it is.

And oh look! It was aparently good.

So, I am not sure what you mean about this topic not being covered before...

OT: I thought this movie could have been good, but it was just so pathetically marketed for me to have any interest in it, that being said, I say we are all a little hard on Lucas now and again...although his interview on Jon Stewart made him seem impossibly ignorant.

It's not widely known, I am the only person I know that has seen it.

Even your original words were "Pretty sure".

How sure are you that there was a Titanic Film? How about Pearl Harbor?

These things we are certain of, once we start saying "Pretty Sure" its hardly something I'd count as an obvious example.

Pebkio:
Yeah, I wasn't really thinking of snubbing the film because it was directed by Lucas.

I was thinking of snubbing the film because it seemed like just another patriot-hyped movie that beat us over the head with "racism existed". I like it when racism is just an obstacle to over-come... not the main focus of a story.

Btw, I don't think I'll ever respect Lucas again, but I won't forgo a movie just because he was involved.

I am bored of Racism for sure but...

Your request is basically for a "The Help" film. A movie where it was all laughter in a period of time where folks were getting the shit knocked out of them just for being born dark.

These guys really did deal with a ton of shit, had the film been all jovial it would be retarded.

There are probably going to be 90 movies out this year that don't cover racism, pointing out the one that does in a completely sensible context is silly.

Zhukov:
Whoa, whoa, whoa!

You liked the Underworld movies?!

My head is hurting just trying to absorb that notion.

Pretty much this.

Looks like someone is mad that two certain movie reviewers said (and rightly so) that Capitan America was a piece of crap!

Just when I thought you couldn't destroy your credibility as a movie reviewer any further, you always amaze me. Leaching off of redlettermedia's popularity is a new low for you.

Actually, when they commented about this film they didn't say anything about George Lucas and even said the CG was good.. but a fanboy is just a fanboy, and you're nothing more then a mario & comics fanboy, and fanboys love cheap shots

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Zhukov:
Whoa, whoa, whoa!

You liked the Underworld movies?!

My head is hurting just trying to absorb that notion.

I agree.

Answer up Bob, is the only reason the Underworld films don't get tossed in the "brain-dead action films for retards" section of your folder because Kate Beckinsale is cuter than Jason Statham? BE HONEST!

OT: War movies aren't really my thing. Haywire will be a rental for me.

I like the underworld films .... They are like twilight but good. I resent the "for retards" bit!

I like to be entertained and drama's are just painful to watch, if I want drama I will watch a soap (hollyoaks, Emmerdale, neighbours etc).

I mostly watch films to turn my brain off and just look at the pretty moving pictures, there are the odd film that gets me thinking (V for anon vendetta and fight club) but mostly it's just to be entertained.

Watching massive character development scenes and huge sections of back story with lots of chatty chatty is boring. People shooting werewolves while flipping around a room like a bit of flubber doing capoeira is awesome.

For example in the matrix, which bit is more exciting, the bit where Neo and trinity shoot up the front lobby of a ... bank(?) Or the bit around the time where Neo chooses the red or blue pill? The shooty bit.

If the ratio of shooty to talky is in the talky, I probably wont be interested ... unless it's got an anti social or anti political theme

When I first saw the Haywire preview, I thought it was Rachel Weiz. I was like, I stil don't see her as big action star. Mummy wasn't action and all her. Then I saw it was Gina and I was like.. YAY!!!

If you didn't want people to make a big deal about George Lucas's involvement then why did YOU make such a big deal about it in the review? Now that's the main thing I took away from the review rather than your opinion on Red Tails.

omega 616:
I mostly watch films to turn my brain off and just look at the pretty moving pictures

omega 616:
If the ratio of shooty to talky is in the talky, I probably wont be interested

omega 616:
I resent the "for retards" bit!

You're not really helping your case here.

I wish Bob would just stick to reviewing the movie, instead of reviewing the audience. Once again, he insults our intelligence by panning the general public. he paints them in broad strokes, depicting a vaguely defined group of people (that may or may not include you) as a bunch of whining cry babies/jocks/elitists/brainless mob who are not doing things the way Bob would prefer. There are places for soap-boxing, and that place shouldn't be within a five minute review. At least, not when it is totally irrelevant to the film, yet takes up more space in the review than the film itself.

Bob, I don't care if you noticed that some people dismiss George Lucas out of hand. You do not get any medals for talking about them, you don't win points for admonishing them, and you won't convince anyone by jeering at them like a smart arse.

looks entertaining

but i have a question for those who have seen the movie:

some us war-movies go a little bit to far in overglorifying the soldiers, so how does this work in this movie?

i know this movie isn't aiming to be that "sophisticated" like the more serious ones but it gets pretty lame seeing for example "captain joe patriotic" shooting down dozens of german airplanes, when infact the whole fighter group shot down less airplanes than one of those flying aces of ww2

Penguin_Factory:
Bob you're putting your personal opinions into a video again! Don't you know Real Reviewers are supposed to be 100% objective???

Seriously though, this looks super cheesy. The trailer made me cringe ("Courage has no colour? Really?), I don't think I could watch an entire movie of that.

Would be an alright review if you didn't needlessly jump in pre-emptively to attack people who (in the case where it's relevant, in other words the Star Wars franchise) take the only sensible position on the matter.

Oh noes, someone on the internet is "attacking" you. Better call the SWAT team.

No need to be a clever dick. He wasn't over-reacting, he was just stating that Bob's review should probably have focused on reviewing, instead of bitching about some irrelevant cinema goers.

Boviebob:
"Red Tails" gives Tuskegee Airmen action movie which they never get back in the days...

What about The Tuskegee Airmen?
(and You call yourself a movie critic :P)

Fronzel:

omega 616:
I mostly watch films to turn my brain off and just look at the pretty moving pictures

omega 616:
If the ratio of shooty to talky is in the talky, I probably wont be interested

omega 616:
I resent the "for retards" bit!

You're not really helping your case here.

Not really there is a difference.

There is a horror film called UKM (ultimate killing machine) loads of action, all crap.

A lot of action films have decent to good action and I am able to turn my brain off and just enjoy the simple pleasures, doesn't mean I am retard.

Not everything has to be high class, intellectually stimulating or elaborate and not everything that is those is always good, just as much as films being none of those this are always bad.

The simple pleasure of watching Rambo take down a platoon of men is just more exciting than watching how Margret Thatcher developed as a person.

Sovvolf:

wowthisishard:
Would be an alright review if you didn't needlessly jump in pre-emptively to attack people who (in the case where it's relevant, in other words the Star Wars franchise) take the only sensible position on the matter. By forcing the issue, you only make yourself look like a massive jackass.

As much as I like to stick up for Movie Bob on most issues... Yeah I got that feeling too. Yeah, they'll be a few butthurt fans of the other movies (I'm one of them) however, I'd like to remain objective and view a movie based on its own merits and not who was behind it. Instead I've already been preemptively attacked for hating the movie because I refuse to acknowledge the existence of the Star Wars prequels

No, he wasn't saying you're a dick if you disavow the prequel trilogy and will therefore automatically hate this movie, he's saying if you are automatically hating on the movie because you're the sort to disavow the prequel trilogy then you are a dick.
Hope that clears it up, though as I have mildly confused myself with that run-on sentence I doubt it :P

Hey, Bob really sounds a bit like Stewie from Family Guy when he hints at using Giana Corano as Wonder Woman. Quite uncanny.

maninahat:
I wish Bob would just stick to reviewing the movie, instead of reviewing the audience. Once again, he insults our intelligence by panning the general public. he paints them in broad strokes, depicting a vaguely defined group of people (that may or may not include you) as a bunch of whining cry babies/jocks/elitists/brainless mob who are not doing things the way Bob would prefer. There are places for soap-boxing, and that place shouldn't be within a five minute review. At least, not when it is totally irrelevant to the film, yet takes up more space in the review than the film itself.

Bob, I don't care if you noticed that some people dismiss George Lucas out of hand. You do not get any medals for talking about them, you don't win points for admonishing them, and you won't convince anyone by jeering at them like a smart arse.

He's not panning the 'general public' he's panning people who dismiss the movie purely because it has George Lucas involved and they don't like the stuff he'd done recently. Either you weren't paying attention or you are one of those people and are hurt that someone has dared to point out the folly of your actions

Bob, review underworld anyway next week? Please.

Now we just need a movie about the 442nd. Wait, that was the Karate Kid.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here