The Big Picture: Monster's Movie

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

The director guy really had balls to do that. Kim Jong didn't noticed it or punished him?

As a connoisseur of Kim the crazy its nice to see Bob talk about him; that man was so utterly insane you could probably make the entire show about him without struggling for material,hell this story is actually tame by Kim's standards, itd be good to see a North Korea episode sometime as that country is tragically overlooked considering the s*** going down there.

I always suspected Kim was a bit thick, but missing the obvious symbolism in having the monster that by his own demand represented Communism turn on the people it fought to save? That's just epically stupid. Sang-oh himself was probably baffled that the guy failed to pick up on that, and incredibly relieved.

Funny, I actually read about this story earlier shortly after Kim Jong Il died - funny that the director would be posthumously awarded a cultural medal when many politicians opposed his work prior to his kidnapping.

Steve the Pocket:
I always suspected Kim was a bit thick, but missing the obvious symbolism in having the monster that by his own demand represented Communism turn on the people it fought to save? That's just epically stupid. Sang-oh himself was probably baffled that the guy failed to pick up on that, and incredibly relieved.

Haven't watched the movie yet, but I read that The evil king represents the feudal government, The monster, Pulgasari represents capitalism. It arrives apparently to help the people, but soon grows out of control.

Great episode as always. But you can't imagine how much it frustates me to hear communism used as a bad word due to NK, being myself one.

Why the hell does this guy not have a movie based on his life? It has spy kidnapings, a devorced husband and wife getting back together, an crazy tyranical dictator, and fucking Godzilla! then it ends when the guy and his wife flee to the US after insulting the dictator in his own movie.
You couldn't write a more perfect script. The only problem with the movie is that the executives would demand that you replace the south korean hero with a white American. but if you could find a director to stand up to them you could even solve that problem.

Just to let you guys know. This story is pretty old in East Asian countries.

FYI, the original Bulgasari (not Pulgasari) story is known in both Koreas, not North alone, and is a bit different from the movie (obviously):

1) The King was not mad with power. He was just oppressing Buddhism and its practice.

2) It's a Buddhist monk who gives a doll to the peasant couple for hiding the monk in their house, not father to daughter.

3) The Bulgasari can be killed by setting it on fire (which the people did, when the nation ran out of iron to feed it)

4) The shape of Bulgasari (while highly debated) is closer to that of a minotaur (or a huge bull) than Godzilla.

5) The King was not overthrown, and gave the peasant couple a huge reward for killing the monster, and also the Buddhism was practiced freely, etc.

Still, I was disappoint that the director made those 3 Ninjas movies (shudders).

Yeah I knew about this story, think I read about it on Cracked.com, but personally while others find it interesting I just find it incredibly sad. Kidnapped off the streets and spent 5 years in prison before being brought out? And how many years was he pressed into service before escaping with his wife? And all because some spoiled brat dictator liked his work? Relic's like Kim Jon Il should not exist in this world anymore.

MovieBob:
Monster's Movie

A movie produced by a real-life supervillain.

Watch Video

You forgot to mention that Kim LOVED James Bond movie, even though he was more cartoonishly even then half of the bad guys in those films.

I love 3 Ninjas and 3 Ninjas Kick Back. That's right, I said it.

Strain42:
Bob, have I told you recently how much I love you? Seriously. I used to think I had some pretty good film stories I could bust out at parties, but since you made this show, those stories have more than doubled.

Sometimes you talk about stuff I already know (which makes me feel smart) but learning new stuff about film, comics and TV from you almost every week is something I really enjoy.

Keep up the good work.

Why not just read wikipedia or cracked? You'll get the exact same info, but with more accuracy (wiki) or funnier (cracked)?

ummm... WTF? i mean good episode, i like Moviebob's storytime episodes, just Kim Jong Il kidnapped a movie director to make movies for him? I knew he liked movies and stuff, and i heard he made a few but i never knew he kidnapped and then forced a guy to make them.

God that guy was crazy... Well his son is crazier so i look forward to little kim's dictatorial antics. He should kidnap Tim Burton, that would be hilarious.

The "theoretically interesting" interpretation of this movie that Bob has reminds me of the play by H. Leivick, Golem, in the Stalinist era Yiddish theater in Russia. This play involves a classical folklore monster, the golem, being animated to protect a prosecuted group of people who he eventually turns on. This was also presumably a satire of the Communist regime in Russia as a noble experiment that failed miserably. This satire went over the heads of the censors was was thereby able to send an anticommunist message inside a communist nation. Just thought it was an interesting parallel.

Well, I'll be damn. The director of 3 little ninjas was kidnapped by a dictator..

I want to see all these movies.

Very well done, Bob!

SpiderJerusalem:

Strain42:
Bob, have I told you recently how much I love you? Seriously. I used to think I had some pretty good film stories I could bust out at parties, but since you made this show, those stories have more than doubled.

Sometimes you talk about stuff I already know (which makes me feel smart) but learning new stuff about film, comics and TV from you almost every week is something I really enjoy.

Keep up the good work.

Why not just read wikipedia or cracked? You'll get the exact same info, but with more accuracy (wiki) or funnier (cracked)?

Because neither of those are as entertaining (imo of course)

this story is so wierd and intresting I hope someone makes a movie based on it

I mean come on guy and ex are kidnapped and force to make a monster movie but the guy secretly gets revenge with subliminal stuff and escapes..
sounds like a good drama/action movie to me

I've heard that story before but it's worth it to stop and listen every time. I love how weird reality can be.
Anyone ever think it would be an awesome idea to make this story into a movie?

And there's why I prefer fiction over reality. You expect fiction the be tripping balls weird. When reality starts tripping, it's always a shock.

You know I was rethinking whether I was going to keep watching the Big Picture, but the fact that you know things like this and are willing to share them with us, has made up my mind for me.

Well done Bob, I can't believe something similar to Misery actually happened (that's my favorite book).

chickenhound:
this story is so wierd and intresting I hope someone makes a movie based on it

I mean come on guy and ex are kidnapped and force to make a monster movie but the guy secretly gets revenge with subliminal stuff and escapes..
sounds like a good drama/action movie to me

Now all's you gotta do is have Tarantino direct it.

Besides the fact that the story doesn't have a lot of violence this seems like a perfect fit for him.

Father Time:
You know I was rethinking whether I was going to keep watching the Big Picture, but the fact that you know things like this and are willing to share them with us, has made up my mind for me.

Well done Bob, I can't believe something similar to Misery actually happened (that's my favorite book).

Except this is even weirder.

Also I'd like to add that this is fandom gone wrong, very very very wrong.

Say what you will about Kim Jong Il. Kim Jong Un seems even crazier, if he doesn't start the nuclear war i don't know who will. Although saying that i hear a man named Newt Gingrich is gaining some political power...

I'm pretty sure that every time Bob puts out a Big Picture, this is what he feels like:

I'm fucking speachless. All i can do is smile. Ear to Ear baby. thanks Bob

Wow, this was not only a good history lesson, but one that tops every other 'weird' reality story I had ever heard of. Never imagined a dictator would kidnap a movie producer to make movies like that along with writing a book about how great movies are. Now that is obsession, which honestly I felt bad for the couple since they've been imprisoned for 5 years. Props to them, they deserve much happiness even though the guy did pass away recently.

If there had been more communist propaganda movies like that, the USSR would still be going strong.

I like the fact that he slipped in what seems to be a "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" message and evidently got away with it.

canadamus_prime:
Also I'd like to add that this is fandom gone wrong, very very very wrong.

but in a strangely awesome way.

I'm kind of familiar with this lore. Except Koreans call it as Boolgasari. I was surprised it was actually made into a film by N Koreans.

Well now, that's just silly.

That was... fascinating to be honest. o.o

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook