Darksiders 2 Preview

Darksiders 2 Preview

An interview on Darksiders 2.

Read Full Article

Awesome. I'm really looking forward to this game. It sounds like they've improved everything that was wrong with the first one without ruining anything.

I loved the first Darksiders, the ending was a bit "meh" but the journey there was kick ass. I have to wonder if they're going to do two more games that focus on the final two horsemen or if they're consolidating that into this game so they can round things out as a trilogy in the third one.

Death looks a lot like Raziel, which is awesome. xD

faspxina:

So now people are going to say it's more like Soul Reaver instead of a "Zelda rip off".

OT: I liked the first game a lot, even if the PC port was a bit shoddy, I still enjoyed the heck of this game.

My only wish for the second game is that it's a better port than the first one and make those damned cinematics in real time, instead of pre-recorded.

I really enjoyed the first one, and it sound like they're gonna use everything good from the first one as the foundation for this one, and adding a shitload of stuff to vastly improve something i already liked, instead of just remaking the first one, with slight changes... Damn this game, i'm nearly getting an inapropriate hard-on now...

KeyMaster45:
I loved the first Darksiders, the ending was a bit "meh" but the journey there was kick ass. I have to wonder if they're going to do two more games that focus on the final two horsemen or if they're consolidating that into this game so they can round things out as a trilogy in the third one.

I disagree I really liked the ending, yes it was cheesy but it was a good kind of cheesy

Can't wait for this game thought, I might even pre-order

Just gotta say, "Death Lives" is a pretty good sub-title/tagline. I wish I'd thought of it.
And that trailer did manage to suck me in.

faspxina:

darksiders Ive allways said it was zelda devil may cry and soul reaver all mixed together

Regarding the Trailer: I wished they wold have gone more a Terry Pratchet way where Death is not something threatening or attacking but more of a collector or guide over to the other side.

SupahGamuh:
So now people are going to say it's more like Soul Reaver instead of a "Zelda rip off".

It's perfectly fine to be a Zelda clone at this point, it's not like anyone else is releasing Zelda in HD, or with voice acting, or proper controls, or on all platforms,... it's just a huge market gap that these guys are filling.

I do hope using pretty much the same game means they polished up the elements further, because while Darksiders was very enjoyable there were some really silly things in there, and ya that port... do it right this time.

So...instead of aping God of War, they're intending to lay with what? Devil May Cry/Bayonetta if either of those games had main characters the size of 18-wheelers?

That put the unfortunate comparison of the Transformer movies into mind.

Oh, any word about guns that shoot blue and orange portals this time? Will there be a gun that specifically delivers arrows to the knee, in the theme of absentmindedly stealing things from other games?

Orange12345:

KeyMaster45:

I disagree I really liked the ending, yes it was cheesy but it was a good kind of cheesy

Can't wait for this game thought, I might even pre-order

I was more referring to the final boss fight (guess I should have said that in retrospect) It was really the only point of the game that seemed lacking to me. Just felt like each boss fight upped the bar more and more, and by the end the bar had nowhere else to go. Every game does have it's "meh" boss fight but it typically falls somewhere near the middle or the beginning. Since Zelda is the most compared game I'd point to the second dungeon in OOT with the Dodongo King and later in the fire temple with Molerga. Both were easily the most underwhelming fights of the game.(though in the case of the fire temple we got bitch slapped with what lay in the water temple shortly after.)

Point being that the final boss fight of Darksiders didn't really hold up to what had come before it. The ending itself was fine, the final cutscene was very gratifying and left me pumped for more after it. It also left me wondering why we don't have more games that borrow from the christian mythology. Though the particular year Darksiders came out I think we had three (Bayonetta, Dante's Inferno, and Darksiders)

Death is cool and all, but I think a game about Famine would make the most interestingfrom both a story and game play point of view.

funksobeefy:
Death is cool and all, but I think a game about Famine would make the most interestingfrom both a story and game play point of view.

I never played the first Darksiders, but did a little research just now (i.e. Wikipedia) cos this trailer looked cool, and apparently there is no Famine in Darksiders; he's been replaced by a new horseman called 'Strife'. Which is a bit crap.

faspxina:

I came to make exactly the same comment. Ignoring the 'darksiders 2' title, my first assumption would be that this is a trailer for a Soul Reaver sequel.

Which would be awesome.

KeyMaster45:
It also left me wondering why we don't have more games that borrow from the christian mythology.

Fear of a Christian-right backlash in the U.S. Borrowing from Greek or Norse mythology is much less immediately challenging, and so more attractive to companies concerned with the bottom line.

felixader:
Regarding the Trailer: I wished they wold have gone more a Terry Pratchet way where Death is not something threatening or attacking but more of a collector or guide over to the other side.

I like this idea and I think I see where you are going with it, but unfortunately I don't think that it would really fit with the themes explored in the first game.

EvilPicnic:

KeyMaster45:
It also left me wondering why we don't have more games that borrow from the christian mythology.

Fear of a Christian-right backlash in the U.S. Borrowing from Greek or Norse mythology is much less immediately challenging, and so more attractive to companies concerned with the bottom line.

You know what would be awesome? The Ragnarok. The ACTUAL Ragnarok, not an 'interpretation'. Gods die. The world burns, it is inevitable. And it. Would. Be. Awesome. If I wasn't Christian, my next religion would be Norse, just for the awesomisty, then Greek. From what I understand, the Titans were closer to the standard God figure, whereas the Gods (one step below Titans) were basically humans in terms of dicking around. Hyperion was my favourite weapon manufacturer in Borderlands, so maybe I'm biased towards them.

I understand probably none of this is of any real interest to you, but I'm in a talkative mood.

OT: I'm glad they didn't just go for basic sequel - same character, same enemies. However, Death may be a weird choice. I can't see how the battle style will differ from War. Pestilence and famine could have more siege based mentalities to their fights - weaken the enemies till they can be pushed over

felixader:

Well technically according to the mythos of Darksiders, all of these are just titles given to the last of the Nephilim. Mostly, they seem to be given based on how the Horseman (or woman in the case of Fury) acts. War got his title because he got stronger as he fought.

As for Death, I've got to say I feel like they're jumping forward a bit here. Strife (double guns) and Fury (flaming whip) both seem like they'd be coming before Death (who is the whole reason War has an artificial arm), not after.

Still excited about the game. I actually really loved the first one, despite its flaws (most noticeably that enemies popping up towards the end were absolutely a chore to fight due to a combat system that wasn't quite right either in terms of speed or health).

You know, this does look awesome (although that isn't saying much, considering it's just a trailer). I didn't play the first one, but maybe I will at some point. I just wonder whether they're going to go through all the four horsemen (having 3 sequels isn't that unusual anymore these days). Oh, and whether you get to play as PZ Meyers in the fifth.

I've always thought that Darksiders reminded me of Legend of Zelda + Legacy of Kain.

And think of this:
War = Platinum haired warrior whose sword fed on the blood of fallen enemies. Wears Red, Gold, and Black armor.
He's Kain.

Death = Black/purple haired, pale skin warrior. Reaper of souls. Wears tattered garments.
He's Raziel.

And I don't see this as a bad thing, either. It makes me happy as hell.

EvilPicnic said -
"I never played the first Darksiders, but did a little research just now (i.e. Wikipedia) cos this trailer looked cool, and apparently there is no Famine in Darksiders; he's been replaced by a new horseman called 'Strife'. Which is a bit crap."

The Horsemen of the Apocalypse =
The only one who is ever actually named in the texts is "Death".
The others, "War", "Famine" and "Pestilence" are titled based on attributes, whether proper or improper.

"War" makes sense, to an extent because of the rough translation "Its rider was given power to take peace from the earth and to make men slay each other".

"Pestilence" is an incorrect modern title. In the texts, the most common translation titles the Horseman as "Conquest".
Due to the sentence "and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest."
Which is different to some extent depending on the translation. But Conquest remains.
So, I'd have rather seen "Conquest" as opposed to "Fury"

"Famine" should be titled something like "Balance" due to his carrying of weighing scales.
But this is in reference to a lack of supplies, like oil, not just food.
So, hardship, or "Strife" makes sense.

Hope that helped.

SilverHammerMan:
Just gotta say, "Death Lives" is a pretty good sub-title/tagline. I wish I'd thought of it.
And that trailer did manage to suck me in.

Personally I prefer "Death will be our savior" from the reveal trailer but that was probably too spoilery about the

Scarlet Mongoose:
"Famine" should be titled something like "Balance" due to his carrying of weighing scales.

Actually, (although it could depend on translation - I'm using KJV) the passage specifically mentions oil and wine as being not affected by the scarcity, which adds further to it being a 'famine' of food, as far as I can tell (I am not a theologian).

But I couldn't give a flying fuck - biblical accuracy doesn't bother me, I would just prefer it to stick closer to the Durer woodcuts (which introduced Pestilence instead of Conquest) that more than anything have cemented the Four Horsemen as cultural icons.

EvilPicnic:

Scarlet Mongoose:

Actually, (although it could depend on translation - I'm using KJV) the passage specifically mentions oil and wine as being not affected by the scarcity, which adds further to it being a 'famine' of food, as far as I can tell (I am not a theologian).

But I couldn't give a flying fuck - biblical accuracy doesn't bother me, I would just prefer it to stick closer to the Durer woodcuts (which introduced Pestilence instead of Conquest) that more than anything have cemented the Four Horsemen as cultural icons.

1) If you "couldn't give a flying fuck", then don't reply.

2) The price of wheat and barley are raised due to the scarcity, but Oil and wine are still unobtainable.
The preservation of oil and wine could symbolize the preservation of the Christian faithful, who used oil and wine in their sacraments.
I'm fine with the Horseman being referred to as "Famine". I merely intended to point out that balance also works as a descriptor, and "Strife" even more so.

4) The only name I take issue with is Conquest/Pestilence. Pestilence is NOT the proper name.

5) The most common translation of the first Horseman is "Conquest"

You can check that, if you wish, in the texts of "An Introduction to Reading the Apocalypse"
http://books.google.com/books?id=6QwXC6o8jIoC&pg=PA90#v=onepage&q&f=false

6) the King James Version of the bible is widely regarded as the absolute worst translation ever put to paper. It's full of pretty words, but a very poor translation.

7) The famous woodcut is from 1498. The Book of Revelation was believed to have been written around 95 AD. I'll go with the earlier source material.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here