Escape to the Movies: The Grey

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The Grey

The first great movie of 2012.

Watch Video

Neat to hear that a movie worth watching is coming out. That doesn't mean I'll watch it though cause it's a pretty iffy genre but it's nice to know it's good.

Of course Chuck Norris doesn't need swear words, he IS a swear word.

For some reason the video only loads untill around the middle of it, and then gets stuck =/.

Will check this one out for sure. Nice review MovieBob

Very nice...been looking forward to this since I saw the trailer. I love these kinds of films, The Edge with Anthony Hopkins is another good one.

pbbt, The Expendable once again fucks up at the ONE thing it needs to get right. Hopefully this bombs because we don't need another entry in "Washed-Up 80s Hacks: The Movie"

You don't swear at Chuck Norris,
you swear To him!

OT: The only thing in the grey about this movie is the title. Will definitely be going to see this.

I want to see your face.
Feel hands in mine...
its lines like that (although cheesy) that made me consider seeing this movie and it was bob who made it a definite

It has Liam Neeson in it, so I was going to watch it anyway. But still, nice to know that my faith in my favourite actors is well placed (it was a little shaky after Unknown, but the Grey sounds like an exceptional return to form)

I'm glad you mentioned it's not Taken with Wolves since that's the first thing that crossed my mind when I noticed an age Liam Neeson in an action role.

As for that Chuck Norris news, that concerns me because it may hinder the OTT nature the film should go for. The Expendables 2 has a chance of being better than the first because sequels are typically more action-packed and stupid... something that was wrong with the first due to the lack of it.

So what turns up at the end of the credits? Hawkeye's bow?

at the end of the movie Samuel L Jackson shows up and recruits him for the Avengers movie.

Now I want to know what happens in the credits

Wait, so you don't want to say which scene made you shut your eyes, but you put the footage in anyway? Yeah that makes sense.

Also, it sort of makes me a sad panda that wolves are recruited as the 'villains'. Y'know, because they don't really do stuff like that in real life and have been hunted to near extinction in plenty of parts of the worlds because of that nonsenical bad reputation.

But that's the tiny bit of hippy inside me talking, still looks like a cool movie. Heh, cool.

I think its beginning to dawn on me just how subjective (and therefore kinda useless) movie criticism is, I really dont get Bob's fanboying over Carnahan- to me at least his movies are bland and uninteresting.

I mean I found A team boring, A Team shouldnt be boring.

Is it weird that what sold me is when you said to stay until after the credits? From what I've seen, the "after credits scene" is always used to push towards the next movie in a franchise. I'm curious as to how could this after credits scene is considering that, from the looks of things, this isn't the sort of movie that would (or could) ever warrant a sequel.

Cowabungaa:
Wait, so you don't want to say which scene made you shut your eyes, but you put the footage in anyway? Yeah that makes sense.

I sincerely doubt that's the actual scene he was talking about.

EDIT:

Sandytimeman:
at the end of the movie Samuel L Jackson shows up and recruits him for the Avengers movie.

OH DEAR GOD PLEASE YES.

How did this not get a comparison to the late 90s wilderness survival thriller, The Edge?

did... he tie blades to his hands then charge at a wolf?

Matt King:
did... he tie blades to his hands then charge at a wolf?

Looked like those small sample alcohol bottles that he broke after and served as makeshift claws.

Togs:
I think its beginning to dawn on me just how subjective (and therefore kinda useless) movie criticism is, I really dont get Bob's fanboying over Carnahan- to me at least his movies are bland and uninteresting.

I mean I found A team boring, A Team shouldnt be boring.

Bob Chipman isn't a critic in the artistic or literary sense, he's a pundit. If you want to know what a real critic is & the vital role they play in the arts I suggest you read Peter Brook. This is an excerpt from The Empty Space. It's just a small quote, but it gives you an insight into what one of the world's most respected theatre & film practitioners views as the role of the critic.

This movie had my attention the moment I saw Liam Neeson raring to punch a wolf in the face in the trailer. I'm glad to hear that it's more than just that, though I would've seen it anyway. Now I'm more excited to see this flick!

I was surprised when the subtitle said:

MovieBob:

Then I remembered that Bob's definition of "great" is more broad than Yatzee's. To Yatzee, a "great" game comes out once every couple of years. To Bob, "great" is equivalent to Yatzee's definition of "good". Therefore, this movie is like Dead Space 2, though some aesthetics differ (as in Dead Space throws monsters at you instead of sneaking them into proximity).

I was hoping this movie would turn out well, what with my man-crush on Liam Neeson after Taken and all. I may try to get my friends to go see this with me.

Man, I hate them putting stuff in the credits. They only do it because they know no one gives a toss who did what. Can you imagine a world where every product or service did that?

Otherwise the film looks good.

Huh, Bob seemed rather more forgiving of this one than Film Brain was, same thing with Haywire last week.

So Liam Neeson will be in The Avengers? Hm, interesting.

You have to be hardcore to tie blades to your hands like that and charge at a wolf. Not just any wolf though, but those big ones that could probably hunt down a moose or deer alone if they had to. Still, I am very curious about this movie. Might have to go see it actually :}

I live in Alaska, so I'm already ready to be laughing at whatever ridiculousness goes around because of that, but add in wolves when the subject is always touchy back and forth (and recently there was a pack driven into what counts as our suburban areas early last winter season thanks to, you guessed it, bad moose numbers) ensures that I won't be seeing it. :| The premise is okay, I guess, but whenever wolves and bears go up on the target list so there's more prey animals for the lucrative hunting licenses, or because their prey animals are down so they look for other prey (ie, pets and occasionally humans), and how hollywood seems to see them as some sort of monster over an animal trying to survive and then a movie comes out about them, showing them in a negative light and possibly warping voter input because people just can't seem to do their own damn research about how these animals really act. . .

Yeah, it yanks my chain.

In response to the poster above me, no a wolf cannot take down a moose alone. A moose can easily kill a wolf with a single kick; it's why they have to hunt in family groups so they can wear down their prey animals and try to remain safe. It is also why they tend to go for weaker or older animals.

Ah... To stay through the credits...

The thing that always seems to annoy the cinema staff around here.
They don't say so, but you can feel their presence as they get annoyed because they're not allowed to clean up until the last person has left...

Being that last person is always an awkward feeling.

MovieBob:
The Grey

Watch Video

Don't you mean, the first "Grey-t" movie of 2012? :P

Also, do you get Vertigo?

Wolves don't attack humans btw. Like ever, I think there are almost no recorded incidents of wild wolves attacking a human. Dogs while actually just wolves, are prone to attacking humans but in reality they often feel cornered, mistreated, and scared. Something that doesn't often happen while your a big wolf out in the middle of the vast wilds. Wolves are terrified of humans, and will generally avoid them at all cost.

CrystalShadow:
Ah... To stay through the credits...

The thing that always seems to annoy the cinema staff around here.
They don't say so, but you can feel their presence as they get annoyed because they're not allowed to clean up until the last person has left...

Being that last person is always an awkward feeling.

Then it's their problem, not yours. You should have the right to watch all the credits if you want, even if there's nothing after the credits.

OT: This movie does look interesting, can someone give me a little hint as to why it's called "The Grey" though? I think it's kind of a silly title but that's probably just me.

MovieBob:

Leem Neeson

All I need to hear....

Is it just me or are people to sensative about animals being portrayed as villians in movies. Its a fricken movie if people take it serious that animals really act like that, then thats there problem. Do wolves normally attack humans not really. Do wolves attack humans in there own territory or hunting grounds, I don't know maybe. So I can suspend belief for what seems like a good movie.

littlewisp:
The premise is okay, I guess, but whenever wolves and bears go up on the target list so there's more prey animals for the lucrative hunting licenses, or because their prey animals are down so they look for other prey (ie, pets and occasionally humans), and how hollywood seems to see them as some sort of monster over an animal trying to survive and then a movie comes out about them, showing them in a negative light and possibly warping voter input because people just can't seem to do their own damn research about how these animals really act. . .

Yeah, it yanks my chain.

Skyrim has probably soured more peoples' opinions of Wolves and Bears than any movie could ever do :p

OT: Only movie I want to see right now. Wanted to since I saw the trailer a month ago. Will do so immediately.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here