Commander and You: A Beginners Guide to EDH

Pages PREV 1 2

Encaen:
unless it had both +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters at the time it died.

But that isn't possible. A recent rules change has made +1/+1 counters and -1/-1 counters cancel each other out as a state-based action.

Commander / EDH is currently my favorite format to play! My pet deck uses the Sliver Overlord as the commander and one of every Sliver, with the remaining card slots filled with Sliver support cards (Coat of Arms, Hivestone, Sliversmith, and Aphetto Dredging) with a splash of Myrs for multicolor creature mana.

image image

I always had an unshakable fascination with Slivers back when I was first getting into Magic and Slivers were still Standard legal. Unfortunately, I could never seem to make them work in a standard 60 card deck 1v1. EDH allowed me to revisit and play with them again. While they still don't perform consistently in multiplayer EDH, they are given more time to shine and are TONS of fun to play :)

My second "go to" deck uses Kresh the Bloodbraided as a commander.

fanklok:

Encaen:
unless it had both +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters at the time it died.

Which is impossible, If a permanent has both -1/-1 and +1/+1 counters on it N of both get removed where N is the smaller number of the two, this is a state based action.

Actually, if the creature had a +1/+1 counter (or several) on it, and received enough -1/-1 counters to kill it, effects that look back in time will see that it had both +1/+1 counters and -1/-1 counters on it before it was put into the graveyard (also as a state based action.) This is because all state based actions are checked at the same time. As an example as to why this is relevant, take Kinsbaile Borderguard. Lets say it has 5 +1/+1 counters on it. Someone casts Black Sun's Zenith with X equal to 10. Statebased actions check to see what should happen, and they see a Borderguard with 5 +1/+1 counters and 10 -1/-1 counters, as well as the fact that the creature has zero or less toughness. simultaneously, 5 counters cancel out and the borderguard is put into the graveyard. Then its ability triggers, and it looks back in time to see how many counters it had while it was on the battlefield last. Surprise surprise, it had 15 total counters at the last moment before it was placed in the graveyard. Lo and behold the controller of the borderguard is now the owner of 15 1/1 kithkin soldier tokens.
EDIT: oops, looks like someone already got to it.

ZeZZZZevy:
I'm partial to Skullbriar myself. Mostly because I like black and green as a color combo, also because the few shenanigans you can do with him are just so fun

My favorite interaction with skullbriar as someones general is killing it with a -1/-1 counter.

CounterAttack:

I recently built an EDH deck, though it has yet to be tested. My problem with them is that I don't have very much to choose from for a Commander...

If a decent Commander is your issue, I would recommend looking into getting your hands on a box of From the Vault: Legends. It is a little pricey, but if you can get together a friend or two to split it with, it will provide a GREAT pool of Commanders to use.

3 Tenets of EDH:
1) Avoid early land destruction- particularly if you can pump out a lot of creatures without it.
2) Avoid commanders that can win a game in 3 turns
3) Have fun

Seriously, if you build a deck that breaks one of those 3 tenets, you're playing MPEDH wrong. EDH is all about the politiking, and if a bunch of chaos gets thrown in there, all the better, it makes the game. Oh, and if you ever run into Pheldagriff, have fun, because the whole game changes with it on the field.

s0osleepie:

CounterAttack:
I recently built an EDH deck, though it has yet to be tested. My problem with them is that I don't have very much to choose from for a Commander...

If a decent Commander is your issue, I would recommend looking into getting your hands on a box of From the Vault: Legends. It is a little pricey, but if you can get together a friend or two to split it with, it will provide a GREAT pool of Commanders to use.

The thing about those legends, though, is that I have absolutely no idea what I would do with any of them. I don't know how to build a deck around a strategy, or how to make the end product of cards greater than the sum of their parts... that's why all my decks are so scattered and without certain win conditions.

ccggenius12:
Wall'o'text

We've already gone over this interaction in the thread, but thank you anyway. It's not an interaction I've encountered before and don't like giving wrong rulings, but hey judges are human too.

My commander is pretty useful in a recursion style deck. I designed my EDH deck to be 20% "throw away dragons".

I also tend to be a bit possessive of my stuff.

fanklok:

ccggenius12:
Wall'o'text

We've already gone over this interaction in the thread, but thank you anyway. It's not an interaction I've encountered before and don't like giving wrong rulings, but hey judges are human too.

I noticed that shortly after my posting, and edited accordingly. I didn't remove anything because I feel that an in depth explanation is not a bad thing.

CounterAttack:

s0osleepie:

CounterAttack:

The thing about those legends, though, is that I have absolutely no idea what I would do with any of them. I don't know how to build a deck around a strategy, or how to make the end product of cards greater than the sum of their parts... that's why all my decks are so scattered and without certain win conditions.

You can also buy one of the precon commander decks for about $30 bucks and customize it with what you do have. They already have a good deal of synergy and a few win conditions already packed inside.

Herb sewell:
You can also buy one of the precon commander decks for about $30 bucks and customize it with what you do have. They already have a good deal of synergy and a few win conditions already packed inside.

$30 for you, perhaps. A pre-constructed Commander deck is roughly $55 in New Zealand dollars, last I checked. While I am spending $35 (probably) on the Dark Ascension Prerelease, I don't think I can afford to pick up a Commander deck.

My EDH deck has Karador as its general. It's based on "comes into play" and "leaves play" effects.

Also:

vxicepickxv:

I also tend to be a bit possessive of my stuff.

Then this land is for you!

My EDH deck is the deck I enjoy playing the most.

A Dragon-themed deck with Scion of the Ur-Dragon as general.

While it may not win every game, when it clicks, it is terrifying.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here