Zero Punctuation: Sonic Generations

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Sonic Generations

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Sonic Generations.

Watch Video

I never understood the Sonic Games, if I want to play a game that's about timing, I'll go play osu!

I liked the 06 level because it showed how that game could have been better.

That aside, I loved this game. Yes, it the plot was pointless, but I loved going through all the different levels. It reminded me that all the new gimmicks added to Sonic over the years really have made him more fun to play as. Older games aren't nearly as fun for me as the newer ones, like Generations. but no argument is going to get my point across when it comes to Yahtzee and Sonic. Kind of like how I am with Halo.

He did have some fair criticisms but i still though the game was fucking awesome. Plus it was only $50 on release

I belive that this game was badass .

He does make some good points that other reviewers haven't touched, though he was more fair about it than Benzaie's 5-second assesment, I'm not a fan of the games myself, and sure as hell not a fan of the characters, but it's good that at least some of the gameplay was enjoyable by Mr Croshaw's high standards.

Eerily appropriate comparison to the Resident Evil series too, never thought about it that way before.

I'm not sure I'd equate Sonic Colors to Resident Evil 4. That seems to be giving Colors a bit too much credit.

I did like Generations though, especially it's sense of self-mockery.

Huh. I thought Yatzee gave up on reviewing sonic games after he gave up on Colors at the very first cutscene.

Well, either way, I enjoyed the !@#$ out of Sonic Generations, ranking it up there with the likes of Sonic 3&K. Pity he didn't like it, but oh well. Not like it matters to me in the slightest.

You do sometimes think that Yahtzee is recording these way past his meal times. I've lost count of the amount of sandwich, pickle and syrup references that pop up half way through.

Strange, I thought he would actually like this game somewhat, but Yahtzee opinion doesn't count for shit as far as I'm concerned, the game's amazing.

Blimey, you people are fast. I was just vaguely waiting for him to upload the video, and to my delight, I found it before it appeared at the main page. To my not so delight, I found it already had five frigging comments. What, do some people just stare at the escapist's webpage with glazed eyes waiting for their little trilby hatted saviour to appear?

Ahem. Nice review, not as ridiculously hilarious as Sonic Unleashed, but still pretty damn funny. Loved the references to the Resident Evil series. Keep 'em coming, Mr. Croshaw.

Inb4 Eternalnothingness

I really like this game, sure, it lost a little of it's charm when I got past the Mega Drive stages, but it's still a step in the right direction.

Yahtzee, he can really move
Yahtzee, he's got an attitude
Yahtzee, he's the fastest thing alive!!!!!

...Sorry, I had to.

Sonic and breastfeeding. Never thought I would see them together.

Interesting points there. However, some of then are just irrelevant to the game quality.
The quality of a Sonic game is completely related to the level design and physics. If the level design is good and the physics doesn't screw you around, then it's a fun game that is awesome to play.
The sonic 2006 level is there to more than completely prove it. When I first played that level, I had no idea from what game it came from, but it didn't matter: that level was awesome and become one of my favorite levels.
Later my friend searched for the level and found out it was from Sonic 2006 and we watched a gameplay video. We didn't finish watching the video because it was incredibly BORING and DULL.

Daystar Clarion:
Inb4 Eternalnothingness

?????

Explain.

OT: Sure are a lot of Sonic fans insisting that Yahtzee's opinion is 'wrong' on this site, facebook, etc. Wonder why....

EDIT:

Zachary Amaranth:

Shit got awkward when my mum looked over my shoulder.

Edit:Double post.

Daystar Clarion:
Inb4 Eternalnothingness

I really like this game, sure, it lost a little of it's charm when I got past the Mega Drive stages, but it's still a step in the right direction.

Dammit i wanted to say Inb4 Eternalnothingness. I purposely read every single comment to check if anyone did yet.

This video games some good points. i loved the Resident evil comparaison.

trollpwner:

Daystar Clarion:
Inb4 Eternalnothingness

?????

Explain.

OT: Sure are a lot of Sonic fans insisting that Yahtzee's opinion is 'wrong' on this site, facebook, etc. Wonder why....

EDIT:

Zachary Amaranth:

Shit got awkward when my mum looked over my shoulder.

You mean?

You haven't been in an Eternalnothingness thread?

Oh man, you've missed out on some unintentional grade A hilarity.

Zachary Amaranth:

Then clearly you haven't spend a lot of time in the Sonic fan community.

I actually enjoyed this game. My biggest disappointment with it was that it was so short. I felt a lot of potential was wasted here. I was hoping to see a lot more stages from a lot more past Sonic games on display.
Although Yahtzee was right about one thing, I did find on a number of occasions that while playing as Classic Sonic I'd forget that I don't have a homing attack and die as a result. And then there were the times when playing as Modern Sonic when the bloody homing attack didn't work properly (or at least the way I expected it to) which also resulted in my death.

Mathak:

Then clearly you haven't spend a lot of time in the Sonic fan community.

Something for which I shall remain eternally grateful.

You know, a celebration of classic Sonic games being good would probably be handled much better by just going back and playing the old games instead of this. A quickie release of emulated copies of 1,2,3,and S&K would probably do better and incite a lot less hatred. But that would probably require Sonic Team to think, wouldn't it?

Also, was that Sir Bruce Forsyth's face in that video?

Well, the 06 level was actually good. We all know 06 was bad but its quality has nothing to do with this game.

I'm I the only one who thinks Sonic controls just fine in 3D? It may just be the years of playing every 3D game but it never gave me a problem.

As far as the excessable to new people thing goes, the very premise of Generations alone should tell you the people buying this played at least one Sonic game before.

Well, I didn't really see a silence from Sonic fans this time. I'm not a Sonic fan myself, the only games I ever played were Sonic 1 (liked it), Sonic Heroes (meh), Sonic Unleashed (eeeeugh), and now Generations.

And to be honest, I've quite enjoyed it. Sure, it's really far from being the best platformer of 2011, that goes to Rayman Origins, but I'm glad I played it, and most of the Sonic fans I know are still praising it.

The only thing I'll complain about it is that it's insultingly short. I finished the main story in under 6 hours, and after that only messed up with the optional challenge stages for another couple of hours.

After all the crap Sonic games of the past years, I can't really blame Yahtzee for having the attitude of a disillusioned landscaping designer[1]
Where does Sonic buy his shoes?
At the Generation GAP.

[1] Over the Hedge

Terreria next plz id love to you you review that.

Wow, a chance for me to watch a new ZP of a game I HAVE played!
I almost felt like clapping when yahtzee mentioned confusing the controls from both Sonics in the 2d sections. I hated trying to do the homing attack only to realize I was using the other character, or tapping the square button to get a boost only to have sonic rolling in place.

krazykidd:

Daystar Clarion:
Inb4 Eternalnothingness

Dammit i wanted to say Inb4 Eternalnothingness. I purposely read every single comment to check if anyone did yet.

This video games some good points. i loved the Resident evil comparaison.

Too slow matey :D

I think we're about due another Sonic rant thread.

I impulse-bought this one, just to discover that (after I haven't played any SONIC for years) it does seem kinda awfully "fast" and confusing and I barely ever manage to find those bloody hidden red rings...

Daystar Clarion:

You mean?

A link would be appreciated, please.

Although, if they are a rabid fanboy, they'll just do what all other rabid fans do, I.E., post a hateful, venomous post a week later, 'proving' Yahtzee wrong because he disagrees with their opinion. And then nobody reads it. Except saddos like me.

Sabrestar:
You know, a celebration of classic Sonic games being good would probably be handled much better by just going back and playing the old games instead of this. A quickie release of emulated copies of 1,2,3,and S&K would probably do better and incite a lot less hatred. But that would probably require Sonic Team to think, wouldn't it?

Also, was that Sir Bruce Forsyth's face in that video?

Er, emulated copies of those games are available. On steam at least.

Also, Yahtzee doesn't speak for the internet. This sonic game has actually garnered quite a bit of praise. A 79 on metacritic is pretty good (http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/sonic-generations). And a bug won't let me see the user score, but the balance of reviews seems pretty high too. Certainly not something that could be said to have incited a lot of hatred anyway.

Edit: and yes, that was Bruce Forsyth. No idea why though, guess he just has an awesome face.

trollpwner:

Daystar Clarion:

You mean?

A link would be appreciated, please.

Although, if they are a rabid fanboy, they'll just do what all other rabid fans do, I.E., post a hateful, venomous post a week later, 'proving' Yahtzee wrong because he disagrees with their opinion. And then nobody reads it. Except saddos like me.

Well I can't be bothered to go rummaging through all the threads I've been on to find them, but basically, the guy is obsessed with Sonic, but not in the way you would think. He can't stop making threads telling us how bad he thinks it is, he takes the 'story' in these games way too seriously and just ignores any poster who doesn't outright agree with him.

Well he did compare sonic colors to resident evil 4 so I will take that for what it is.

Daystar Clarion:

Well I can't be bothered to go rummaging through all the threads I've been on to find them, but basically, the guy is obsessed with Sonic, but not in the way you would think. He can't stop making threads telling us how bad he thinks it is, he takes the 'story' in these games way too seriously and just ignores any poster who doesn't outright agree with him.

Oh wow. Yeah, I've seen posters like this. I'd watch, but I feel the mere act of looking at these posts would make him jump out and yell "WAA WAA WHY AREN'T YOU AGREEING WITH ME YOU IDIOT?!?!?!"

EDIT: Never mind. I saw a bit of those. It was painful to read for just a second. You just wonder what's growing through someones head when they post something like that.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here