Zero Punctuation: Sonic Generations

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

While I love Sonic Generations, this was the most beautiful review I've heard from Yahtzee. When I say beautiful I mean hilarious. XD

I genuinely enjoyed this game. It was a fun nostalgia trip that had me smiling all the way through, even at the parts at kept dying at. It was just fun to me.

Though I couldn't help and realize just how much I hate modern Sonic when he's standing next to retro Sonic.

And the game has a weird sense of "retrospective". I recognized every level up to City Escape, then I might as well have been playing a brand new Sonic game. The game also through in, what I assume to be, game mechanics from Sonic's newer games all through out the game. There would be points that I have to duck, but don't simply because I had no idea that was a feature! It's like Sonic Generations expects everyone playing it to have played through ALL of Sonic's game. Kind of dick move. Otherwise, it's still a fun game.

I haven't played Generations, but I can definitely feel what he meant about Resident Evil 4. FANTASTIC game, followed by complete filth that doesn't even fit in the Resident Evil universe. Or any universe. Aside from maybe the Gears of War universe. Or something.

You know what I took away from this review? That Yahtzee wears a hat while having a bath.

ForgottenPr0digy:

PunkRex:

ForgottenPr0digy:
who wouldn't want to see rouge the bat's tits???

but still I hope the next game could give more levels from all the sonic games instead of just one.

Wait, you havn't seen them? You obviously havn't been on the internet that long...

YOu must have misread my word I was "who wouldn't want to see her tits" because I've seen them and they are awesome

Ima give you a bro fist for that.

/)

Madara XIII:

PunkRex:

ForgottenPr0digy:
who wouldn't want to see rouge the bat's tits???

but still I hope the next game could give more levels from all the sonic games instead of just one.

Wait, you havn't seen them? You obviously havn't been on the internet that long...

AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGH!! BAD INTERNET BAD BAD!!

Never again.....never again

Its already to late son, you here now and you aint leaving.

that's nice, your opinion is noted and swiftly deleted :D still want it

And so cometh the shit storm!
But seriously pretty much everyone seems to love Generations. As do I.

I thought you said Colours was "better than Unleashed, but that's not hard" or something to that effect. Why are you now comparing it to Resident Evil 4, which you love unequivocally?

Edit: Don't get me wrong from my avatar; I thought Colours was better than Generations as well.

Wait... I thought Yahtzee didn't like Sonic Colors.

I seriously got a warning for the full post above..?
me thinks the mods are getting a bit carried away in their duties to assume I didn't watch the video; despite ALL the references and comments I made about it?
Quite clearly I DID have things to comment on if you read my post, I have more content then over half the posts in the whole thread, why aren't they getting warnings? Some of them said nothing pertaining to the video at all, how do you know if they watched it?
Can you "remove my warning" or are you going to pull the "oops blame our bots" card
cause this is BS

and I'm pretty sure it was a bot screw up because who else writes like this "you/'ve" when PEOPLE wright like "you've" (and texters like "uv")

Agreed, after reading your comment it's clear that you watched the video. Abuse of power in my opinion.

As for the video, I didn't think the 3D sonic was that bad... I honestly enjoyed Adventure/Adventure 2, it was only after Heroes that it started to fall apart..

"Your opinion is just wrong"

Well, at least he came out in the open about how arrogant he can be.

PunkRex:

ForgottenPr0digy:

PunkRex:

YOu must have misread my word I was "who wouldn't want to see her tits" because I've seen them and they are awesome

/)

nice bro fist dude

You know, I [expletive deleted]ing love Sonic Generations. And I'll admit that this was funny in some places. But when he brought up Sonic '06 I felt like I was reading that one IGN review where it lambasted the entire game because of that stage.

So, in short, that's what the fuck your little imp gets for trying to jump Sonic like that.

Woo attack of the Bruce Forsyth!

Now if only more games realized just how powerful a boss he could be.....

finally tried out Sonic 2 last weekend...but my friend played as Sonic and I played as Tails...
that was about as much fun as being hogtied to the bag of a pickup truck driving through the Appalachians...and about the same experience gameplay-wise lol
still I've heard a lot of good things about Generations, which has been a first since I truly started gaming 5-6ish years ago

ForgottenPr0digy:

PunkRex:

ForgottenPr0digy:

/)

nice bro fist dude

Doesn't really work out side of broni-dom I guess... sorry.

I liked Sonic Generations... >.>'

aegix drakan:
Huh. I thought Yatzee gave up on reviewing sonic games after he gave up on Colors at the very first cutscene.

Well, either way, I enjoyed the !@#$ out of Sonic Generations, ranking it up there with the likes of Sonic 3&K. Pity he didn't like it, but oh well. Not like it matters to me in the slightest.

I agree with this guy, I seriously enjoyed the heck of it, sure, there are a couple of levels, mainly regarding one of the crappy Sonic's "friends" that could've been done better, but overall, along with Rayman Origins, it was one of the best platformers of last year and one of the best platformers of this generation. Also, this is Yahtzee we're talking about and we know he will tear apart almost any game whenever he can.

*looks at new video* oh great! just when I thought I wouldn't have to hear him bash a series I'm really into he decides to review Generations, one of my favorite Sonic games ever. Well whatever I guess I'll watch it anyways because maybe he'll end up liking it (pffft!). *watches it* So not only does he bash Generations, but he bashes just about every Sonic game I like PLUS the Resident Evil series aka my favorite videogame series and especially bashes RE5 (my favorite game I've ever played). The only thing I agree with in his review is his criticism of the final boss in Generations, I really do dislike the entirety of the boss fight.

I never really though Knuckles was a bad character.

I kinda liked this game personally it wasnt a complete garbage fire like some of the others (unleashed and DX for example)

but of course unlike many of you I like 3d sonic as far as I think the last really good sonic game was battle adventure 2 for the gamecube
the sidekick chars fit well in that one and I loved the chao raising system

generations still loses though as instead of making me want to play it it just made me want to whip out my battered battle adventure 2

The image of white smear near a wallet will forever stick to my head whenever I hear the statement raping someones wallet.

The end boss was garbage, I agree. I would like to have seen a Sonic Spinball level. (Please don't mention the DLC that recently came out; I'm trying to assume it is an early April Fool's prank).

Nothing with the word "generations" in the title has ever been good.

Well I never really liked Sonic games. To me they were always kinda shit. Too fast to see whats going on, confusing level-design and some traps and enemies you could only dodge by having clairvoiance.

In spite of that I love Sonic in more then a few perverted ways.

Lol, the review goes with the ad at the start. Probably local for me (ad according to your location), but having an ISP who's ads are for 'fastest speed of anyone' while recently losing at court for trottling that speed for game players, doesn't bode well for anything coming after.

Not only Mystic Cave. I also miss Sandopolis 2, Flying Battery, Ice Cap and Labyrinth Zone (the last one did some epic trolling, but of the good kind).

PunkRex:

Madara XIII:

PunkRex:

AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGH!! BAD INTERNET BAD BAD!!

Never again.....never again

Its already to late son, you here now and you aint leaving.

Ha! As if something as mindnumbing as the internet could possibly hinder my escape!

*Walks away*

OOOH!! Nostalgia!

*Few more steps*

OOOH!! Minecraft

*More steps*

OOOOH YOUTUBE!

*Few more steps*

OOOH! NFL UPDATES!!

*SQUEEEEEE* PONIES :D

oktalist:
Nothing with the word "generations" in the title has ever been good.

Well I like to think that THIS game is the exception.
I mean it captures all the nostalgia that those Rose-tinted Glasses wearing bastards crave so much along with the modern update and repaired mechanics from Sonic Unleashed.

I mean I'm freaking happy that I don't have to die millions of times over to know whether to go one way or another now. I can go fast and avoid whatever obstacles are coming.

Boss fights were enjoyable except for the last one. I don't know wtf it is with Sonic the Hedgehog, but their good to bad last boss ratio is severely in favor of bad and lackluster

Ok, so what's up with this?

I think they need to do three things for Sonic at this point:

1) They need a final, serious game of Sonic where we can all say goodbye appreciating him for all the reasons to (as in the franchise has came to a good end).

2) Make a game, but make it heart pulling where the fans can actually see why they fell in love with Sonic in the first place.

3) ... Take a few years off, and then make a game that makes Sonic more enjoyable where he isn't running around in a plot that's random as can be.

Still, Yahtzee makes me happy with his reviews. And I agree with him, celebrating Sonic now with this sort of game throws me off. They should do something relating to options 1 and 2 that I presented. Not against Sonic, but the producers need to really take in consideration as to what made Sonic so admired in the first place.

Yeah, the plot is silly. Its best to ignore it. but the gameplay and level design were great. They captured the essence of sonic, and used mechanics that worked well. The speed boost thing works great, and feels like a very sonic-like ability. The levels have all the diverging paths and secret routes I would expect for sonic, and manage to work on multiple levels; you can play through them in a more careful manner, esp. when you are still learning, but even once you have learned the level, running through it at top speed brings in a new challenge all its own. It captured the very essence of the old sonics, reproduced it with the 2d levels, and properly integrated it into the 3d levels.

Fun video, Yahtzee, you charismatic stallion. I feel blessed not to have experienced Sonic beyond the original Sonic game(which was fun) and Sonic and Knuckles(which didn't make sense to me for some reason).

008Zulu:
You know what I took away from this review? That Yahtzee wears a hat while having a bath.

He wears that hat for everything. And by everything I mean eve-ry-thing.

Wow. I was really not happy to see yathzee review this game but I'm kind of relieved that people did indeed like it. Gameinformer gave it a six (a bad review because that's how broken scores are) and some people mailed them about it. One person found there choices to be hypocritical in terms of other games who were equally guilty of sonic generation's faults. While the other just ranted and decided to buy sonic generations out of Spite. In a convenient manner they didn't address the valid complaint and mocked the rant (the people who write for Nintendo power do this too so maybe it's a writer thing).

When it comes to Sonic I just don't want to hear it anymore. Good reviews are fine. Bad reviews are reasonable. Nothing would be preferable.

Sonic Shuffle? never heard of it (opens a new tab)

Gugh!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or