Zero Punctuation: Sonic Generations

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

you know, going through these comments I see a lot of people bashing Yahtzee for "not liking the game." But...it didn't come across that way for me, I mean, we all love him for his endless snark and how he finds ways to bash on all the stuff he reviews, so OF COURSE he's going to say stuff like that even if he LIKES a game. And despite all the constant bashing he did have a few nice things to say about it, which for him is like high praise. You probably won't find a bigger Sonic fan than me out there but I'm not going to get offended when someone says something negative about a game.

Sabrestar:
You know, a celebration of classic Sonic games being good would probably be handled much better by just going back and playing the old games instead of this. A quickie release of emulated copies of 1,2,3,and S&K would probably do better and incite a lot less hatred. But that would probably require Sonic Team to think, wouldn't it?

Also, was that Sir Bruce Forsyth's face in that video?

Actually, those Sonic games have been re-released on every system under the sun. First in a compilation on the Sega Saturn, then in the Sonic Mega Collection for Gamecube, PS2, PC, and Xbox, then as the Sonic Classic Collection for DS, and now you can buy them individually on XBLA, PSN, and Steam. Sonic 3 & Knuckles by itself has gotten no less than 4 PC releases over the decades.

Anyway, I'll add my voice to those praising Generations, it was the most fun I'd had with a Sonic game since I was 8.

apart from the fact that sonic has a horrible fanbase and history of 3d games Yatzee didn't really review the game. He pretty much kept saying soinc sucked, sonicc kept sucking, sonic sucks now, sonic will suck forever, etc. Well i played the game and i had fun and ran through beautifull stages at light speed without falling off rails or ramps for the first time.

That Greek Guy:
apart from the fact that sonic has a horrible fanbase and history of 3d games Yatzee didn't really review the game. He pretty much kept saying soinc sucked, sonicc kept sucking, sonic sucks now, sonic will suck forever, etc. Well i played the game and i had fun and ran through beautifull stages at light speed without falling off rails or ramps for the first time.

When talking about stagnant franchises he does tend to pad out his episodes with broader topics, but I thought he made a solid amount of points on this title:

- 2D levels more enjoyable than 3D ones, and the game just generally can't seem to be able to make up its mind on the 2D/3D thing
- apparently meant as a celebration of progress, but backfired
- basically just a collections of remade levels with a lose plot (but even there it fell short of his expectations), like a "Best Of" CD with some edits you don't like and missing some songs you liked.
- Level hub is badly designed
- switching between playstyles can be a big mess, and the jump button seems a bit laggy
- collectibles get lost in the level design or zoom by too fast
- the annoying side-characters are back and their levels aren't fun to play. This also undoes the streamlining from Sonic: Colors.

You can agree or disagree with that, but he made a fair amount of points.

Marik Bentusi:
- 2D levels more enjoyable than 3D ones, and the game just generally can't seem to be able to make up its mind on the 2D/3D thing
- apparently meant as a celebration of progress, but backfired
- basically just a collections of remade levels with a lose plot (but even there it fell short of his expectations), like a "Best Of" CD with some edits you don't like and missing some songs you liked.
- Level hub is badly designed
- switching between playstyles can be a big mess, and the jump button seems a bit laggy
- collectibles get lost in the level design or zoom by too fast
- the annoying side-characters are back and their levels aren't fun to play. This also undoes the streamlining from Sonic: Colors.

- Why does everyone see this from a single point of view? The 3d and 2d stages are equally fun and if you prefere one better than the other its you. For example i like the 3d stages WAY more than the classic ones. But i realize that that's just my personal preference and it doesn't mean that one is better than the other.
-The story is okay. Sonic team knows that no one buys sonic games for their story and no one should. The story has chaos emeralds eggman, sonic and tails playing the only main roles. Looks perfectly fine for me. The side characters make so little of an appearance and are so insignificant that i believe they are not even worth mentioning.
-What's this about the hub? Do you really think it matters? Did you personally have a problem with it because i find it fun to do a little platforming to get to the side missions and run to select a stage.If your point is that its nothing special i agree but a mediocre hub cant be a major flaw in any game.
-Its funny because from what i understand you have played and are familiar with old 2d sonic but you get confused with the play styles. Well my first sonic game was sonic adventure 1 but in the classic stages i didnt have a single issue. It felt perfect and i never got confused when switching sonics so i dont know what to say about that. Draw your own conclusion.
-The collectibles can be a little too hard sometimes but it adds to the challenge because they are located in the hardest/quickest routes of the level.
-Why do people care so much about them. They so barely make an appearence and even the ones you fight dont get any damn lines. I don't think they could have downplayed them more without making them disappear.

I'm genuinely disappointed that he didn't like this...oh well, time to play Rooftop Run Act 2 for the umpteenth time to cheer myself up (seriously, I fucking love that level)

Also, SEGA, why did you feel like you needed to 're-record' the Sonic 3 & Knuckles unlockable music? I have all those tracks recorded in their original form on my laptop in high-quality if you want them, all you had to do was ask.

I loved every fucking second of this game except for that Final Boss. =/

he still finished it.

As an old timer who owned a Genesis, played the original Sonic games to death and never quite got Sonic in 3D, I loved Sonic Generations. Of course, liking the retro levels was expected. The surprise for me is how much I liked the 3d levels. They're mostly pretty good, with a few exceptions. It's interesting how the 3d level inspired by Sonic Adventure is much, much better than the original level from the game.

Sonic Generations was great! ok, no, the story was terrible, but why would you care?

its fun... i bought it slightly after release, and i played it today between games...
i dont see any real issues... its good.

3D sonic wasnt always bad either, Sonic Adventure 2 was a great game, and although the switching perspective was a bit annoying true, if you get used to it then the 3D sonic in this isnt bad. I cant see why anyone would object to this game, other than paying too much for it.
It is a small game... for 15/20, i think some well-designed levels to spend many couples of minutes on while you cant think of what to do next is a good thing.

Akio91:
I loved every fucking second of this game except for that Final Boss. =/

oh yeah, id suppressed that xD
"It looks like a Homing Attack"
"Careful Sonic!"
"Careful Sonic!"
"Careful Sonic!"
"Careful Sonic!"

...ugh...

That Greek Guy:
snip it all

Dude, the purpose of my post was to show you that Yahtzee did address the game directly frequently and didn't just talk about the franchise in general or something like that, which is what you implied in your original post.

This isn't about the actual content of these points. I didn't even state whether I agree or disagree with Yahtzee. Or with you. But you can objectively create a list of things he said that directly addressed the game. I was just recapping stuff.

Where can I get a Bruce Forsyth picnic rug?

I find the way Sonic fans argue to be so funny. They always start with a disagreement and end with a totally contradictory agreement. 'The story was okay! But Sonic Team is bad at stories, so we shouldn't even count it.' or 'The 2D and 3D stages are equally fun! But yeah, the _D stages were way better.' Seriously, you guys are so silly. Every single one I know says stuff like this.

Now I will say one thing, I am not against Sonic, but I never found his games to be as fun as a slower platformer. Do want to to play this game because it looks like Sega pulled their head out of their ass. All you need is speed and good level design, not crappy support characters and god awful romance plots. Always wondered if one the designers let his little girl into the studio. Very much make sense as to why Sonic is falling in love with a human female, or using a god damn sword. Even I can't look at Rougue without wondering if someone on the design team is into beastiality.

Let that picture burn a hole in your brain.

Shawn MacDonald:

I hate you. So much. So, so, so much.

octafish:

Want to borrow mine?

angel85:
you know, going through these comments I see a lot of people bashing Yahtzee for "not liking the game."

That's just fanboys. Anyone who disagrees with their opinion "must" be "wrong". In time, you will learn to avoid them.

oh yhatzee you're not too old yet.

trollpwner:

Shawn MacDonald:

I hate you. So much. So, so, so much.

octafish:

Want to borrow mine?

angel85:
you know, going through these comments I see a lot of people bashing Yahtzee for "not liking the game."

That's just fanboys. Anyone who disagrees with their opinion "must" be "wrong". In time, you will learn to avoid them.

Got a sexy bat picture to look at, whats not to like. (Falls off chair laughing thinking about creepy Sonic fanboys.)

Shawn MacDonald:
Now I will say one thing, I am not against Sonic, but I never found his games to be as fun as a slower platformer. Do want to to play this game because it looks like Sega pulled their head out of their ass. All you need is speed and good level design, not crappy support characters and god awful romance plots. Always wondered if one the designers let his little girl into the studio. Very much make sense as to why Sonic is falling in love with a human female, or using a god damn sword. Even I can't look at Rougue without wondering if someone on the design team is into beastiality.

If that picture can burn ones mind than You're a little to lightweight to deal with the horrors of reality. I'd take a picture of a sexy furry anyday over say a real life picture of some kenyan child bloated with tumors and flies crawling all over him.

Swifteye:

If that picture can burn ones mind than You're a little to lightweight to deal with the horrors of reality. I'd take a picture of a sexy furry anyday over say a real life picture of some kenyan child bloated with tumors and flies crawling all over him.

At least it's not seen as acceptable to post that on forums. Except /b/.

......Oh god.

*shudders*

So this is basically Sonic Fanservice: The Game, except they couldn't even get that right because they brought back all the "Sonic Friends" that everone apparently hates. I myself am quite ambivalent towards them, since I haven't played enough Sonic game to have formed a proper opinion about them.

Still, the game both looks and sounds to be a rather solid game nonetheless.

I can agree with some points. It was absolute hell to get all of the rings in the first six levels. I never suffered through Sonic '06, but I'll be honest I kind of hated Crisis City. It was so much work to get an S rank on the level, with how many times I kept dying.

Nevertheless, the game was a fun way to get into Sonic, being that I never played it much in my childhood, and after playing Sonic Colors, I'd like to see if Unleashed sucks that much, because it doesn't seem so bad from the videos I've seen from it. If it does, well...They're definitely gonna make another game soon. I'll try it out when it does.

ForgottenPr0digy:
who wouldn't want to see rouge the bat's tits???

but still I hope the next game could give more levels from all the sonic games instead of just one.

brazuca:
I'm a 23 year old and I would love to be breast fed by my girlfriend

PunkRex:

ForgottenPr0digy:

but still I hope the next game could give more levels from all the sonic games instead of just one.

Wait, you havn't seen them? You obviously havn't been on the internet that long...

The Sonic fandom in all it's glory, ladies and gentleman.

... no offense.

PsychedelicDiamond:

ForgottenPr0digy:

brazuca:

PunkRex:

ForgottenPr0digy:

Wait, you havn't seen them? You obviously havn't been on the internet that long...

The Sonic fandom in all it's glory, ladies and gentleman.

... no offense.

Funny thing is, I don't even like sonic /)^3^(\

Loved the game to death. I've logged 50 hours in it.

I will say that one complaint (not just yahtzee) that pisses the ever loving shit out of me is that 'they shouldn't have put newer sonic stages in the game'

What? Why? Sure, some of the newer games have been bad. But that doesn't mean you can't recreate the stages and make them good. Are we supposed to simply have recreation upon recreation of stages from three games? The concept behind Crisis City and City Escape is terrific. As is speed highway. Hell, many old stages were absolute shit anyway. Carnival night zone?

People that played the old sonic games will never accept the newer gamestyle of modern sonic. That's all there is to it. I've played the Genesis games, and at first was confused as to how to play modern sonic. Then I realized I was doing it wrong. Modern sonic stages have multiple pathways and you're supposed to play it less like a platformer and more like F-Zero. I'm dead serious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlOjPFksF78

You can play it 'on rails' and take the easiest path. If you keep going forward you WILL get to the end. You've got a homing attack so taking out enemies ISN'T a challenge. That isn't supposed to be the challenge. The challenge is in having quick reflexes and taking the quickest route through the level. With a small bit of exploration. If you don't try to take the quickest route, you still will pass the level, but the penalty is in the time.

As for the friends. I don't care for them, but it really isn't that big a deal. At all. I can't see what there is to bitch about, they've done this since the genesis games. Sonic 1-sonic. Sonic 2-tails. Sonic 3-knuckles. Sonic CD-Amy and Metal Sonic. etc etc etc. You can complain when they make you play as them and it turns out to be bad. But that wasn't the case here.

Well if Yahtzee wanted me to hate him for bashing a game not on a Nintendo system (since he didn't review the 3DS version) then mission accomplished jackass. Looks like those excuses about you not sucking back in your Mailbag Showdown video hold no water anymore because you clearly do suck at Sonic games.

People that played the old sonic games will never accept the newer gamestyle of modern sonic.

That's only true of the ignorant, nostalgically blind members of the Sonic fanbase. Y'know, the ones that lazily recolor existing Sonic art, claim it's an original character and that they're the long lost sibling of Sonic or some crap? The same people that made that ignorant boycott on Sonic 4 by buying Sonic 1 instead? Yeah those are the "fans" that never accept modern Sonic.

I grew up with the old Sonic Genesis games and I have no problem with the modern gamestyle. Hell Sonic Adventure 2 is still my personal favorite Sonic game.

Huh... I was under the impression that this game was actually good. Even from Sonic haters I'd heard that this was the Sonic game to win you over! Maybe I'll get it when it's cheap.

brazuca:

FREUD FREUD FREUD FREUD FREUUUUD!!!

Yeah, I'm done now. :p

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR F*CK'S SAKE PLAY THE 3DS VERSION!!!!!! IT IS VASTLY SUPIRIOR IN EVERY ASPECT!!!!! this can be said for 5 reasons:
1. both sonics can do a homing attack but only modern can use the boost.
2.missions. need i say more?
3.modern sonic levels are more like that of the RUSH seiries and even go as far as to put a level from the first rush in there!(SQUEEEEEEEEE)
4.Classic sonic levels are more like graphic upgradings then total remasters.
5.you know how i said there are missions? well, you can buy more with those...uh...token things you get for walking around...yeah...and if a mission is giving you trouble, you have the opption of just buying the reward.
Any rate, while i don't entierlly agree with yahtzee, it's still funny to watch him complain about things that don't matter to REAL sonic fans, like plot.

Sabrestar:
You know, a celebration of classic Sonic games being good would probably be handled much better by just going back and playing the old games instead of this. A quickie release of emulated copies of 1,2,3,and S&K would probably do better and incite a lot less hatred. But that would probably require Sonic Team to think, wouldn't it?

Also, was that Sir Bruce Forsyth's face in that video?

They already did that it's called Sonic Mega Collections.

X-play, gametrailers, game informer,IGN and now Yahtzee can't handle the controls. There not unresponsive you just suck at sonic games.

Well, this is a bit late, but I just watched the video. The reason you have to press the jump button earlier than you'd normally think is probably because of video processing latency on your TV. I'm surprised you haven't noticed it before in other games you've reviewed that use timing, but I'll blame it on being noticed easier when you have a mental reference (you played the older games).

Bravo to Yahtzee. I hated this game somuch. I am glad I borrowed it instead of buying it.

This game was alright. I surprisingly had a good time with it, mostly.

Felt the same way about your feelings toward each of the Sonics, and got the same vibe that they were trying to shut me up about my bitching of the games of late by forcing me to use modern day Sonic along side of the guy I liked better, but thanks to Modern's god awful controls, finicky physics, and inability to shut up for five seconds, I found myself appreciating the classic version more. I actually thought the first cutscene with both of them amusingly appropriate; Modern Sonic can't stop flapping his gums long enough to get to business, while Classic is already gone.

Still, I had my share of fun with both shades of hedgehog, even if also my share of frustration. This one gets a surprised thumb up from me.

WOPR:
snip

Just as a head's up, you got a warning because according to the post time you posted just a minute after the video was put up, while the video is over 5 minutes long, so it would have been impossible for you to watch the whole video before your original post.

OT: Not really unexpected, at this point I don't expect a Sonic game ever to reclaim the series former glory.

emeraldrafael:
I never really though Knuckles was a bad character.

Sonic,tails,knuckles is where most fans draw the line

while Amy,Silver,blaze,cream,espio.shadow etc.. are all shit because they came from sonic CD or from the 3d sonic games(adventures,heroes etc..) or some unknown sonic game they've never heard of(Knuckles' Chaotix for example)

I don't think sonic's friends are that bad I use hate charmy the bee but I got over that. I "live and learn" with the sonic franchise

Shawn MacDonald:

fap fap fap...........LOL

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook