War of the Roses Preview

Pages 1 2 NEXT

War of the Roses Preview

Meet Call of Duty: Medieval Warfare.

Read Full Article

Ever heard about warband?

yayforgiveaway:

My thoughts exactly, as far as I can see this is Mount and Blade with perks - which is no bad thing. Looking forward to Mount and Blade 2 far more though, since we know that Taleworlds can deliver the goods.

jez29:

yayforgiveaway:

My thoughts exactly, as far as I can see this is Mount and Blade with perks - which is no bad thing. Looking forward to Mount and Blade 2 far more though, since we know that Taleworlds can deliver the goods.

Bump. Mount and Blade rather ninja'd on this concept.

so do you get to pretend you eat the dog?

Steve Butts:
War of the Roses Preview

Meet Call of Duty: Medieval Warfare.

Read Full Article

TO be fair, Mr. Butts, plate and mail was fairly heavy, and while it may not have restricted in terms of range of motion as much as everyone thinks, though I think it pretty nearly did, it was in all about 70 pounds of sheet and ring steel. No matter where those 70 pounds are, those are 70 pounds that will slow you down quite a bit.

OT: Also, this looks quite like a game I'd like to get.

This sounds like it'd be a lot of fun. It'd be great if they could work in a parry mechanic. Online duels. Kickass!

"And it was in this humble florist's that the war of the roses began."

I'm sorry, that was pretty much the only thing going through my head for that entire article.

Anyway, seems intesesting to say the least.

Like the guys above me said, why no Mount and Blade love?

I hope it's going to be more accesible than Warband.

Sure it's a great game, but there are too many experienced players with waaaay to much time played on those multiplayer servers. You don't stand a chance, mostly.

A few pals and I are super pumped for this. Mount and Blade: Warband was an awesome time-sink, especially the single-player. Cannot wait till GDC to see some gameplay.

Take such a risk? Dude they'll get tons of people from Mount&Blade Warbamd for this game. So it's hardly a risk. But War of the Roses is looking superb. I just hope they get it right though.

looks promising. Hopefully the polish on this game is better because Paradox games are renown for their buggy state. Just like Bethesda's games.

Also played the heck out of warband. But the blocking is a little finicky to be really useful.

zombie711:
so do you get to pretend you eat the dog?

No, but you do get to piss on the fish...

While the idea of the game interests me, I don't like first person melee games, if there is a third person camera, maybe I'd be interested. Of course I'd be on chat reminding everyone that we are currently actually in the Winter of our discontent, and that it won't be made glorious Summer by that Son of York for quite some time yet.

One particular bugbear of mine: There is no such thing as plate maille. The term originated in D&D, not any historical source. Nowadays, though, it could also be used as a contraction referring to plated maille (typing in plate mail into wikipedia directs you to this) or plate and maille, The first popular in Middle Eastern countries and the latter a transitional type as armour went from the maille hauberk to the plate harness.

Teddy Roosevelt:

TO be fair, Mr. Butts, plate and mail was fairly heavy, and while it may not have restricted in terms of range of motion as much as everyone thinks, though I think it pretty nearly did, it was in all about 70 pounds of sheet and ring steel. No matter where those 70 pounds are, those are 70 pounds that will slow you down quite a bit.

OT: Also, this looks quite like a game I'd like to get.

70 pounds is on the heavy side for a field harness. Armour could weigh anywhere between 50-70 pounds, depending on the smith that made it, and if it was a fitted piece, the requirements of the customer. However, I would not use the term 'slow down' when it comes to armour. Properly fitted, the amount of movement you can do is not restricted by a lot. Carrying that extra weight will affect your ability to do high energy activities for long periods of time, so it's more of an affect on your endurance that speed.

Also, plate and maille armour was pretty much obsolete by the mid 15th century. The full plate harness was quite well developed, so the amount of mail was generally restricted to the joints, so the maille component wouldn't be a great part of the total weight.

OT: I'm also intrigued by this game. I wonder if Paradox will release a demo for it, like they did for Mount & Blade (restricted levels or something, but enough of the game to get a good feel for the game. I dished out for both Mount & Blade and Warband based on those demos).

Edit: On my bugbear, anyone who studies the subject in any capacity wouldn't use Plate maille anyway, it's just not a term used by any source. Contemporary sources usually differ in terminology (depending on country), but harness seems to be the term most often used to describe what us normally called a suit today.

I'll have to get a look at gameplay before I get excited for this, because I'm having a hard time imagining what it would actually be like, exactly.

Sign me up for the open or closed beta :D

Being that I'm an actual descendent of the House of Lancaster, I almost feel like I have to check this out. Err...would it be traitorous for me to play as York?

I guess Mr. Butts hasn't played Mount and Blade. Yeah, I got ninja'd at least 4 times. Who cares? It bears repeating. Mount and Blade kicks ass, and if this game uses the same combat system but with CoD style loadouts rather than Counter Strike style loadouts, that's just all the better for me. I generally use the same stuff every round, and it'll be nice to start out in full plate armor swinging my 2 handed sword around, rather than having to spend half the round just saving up the gold for that stuff. I'm also loving the thought of customizing the way my character looks. I loved the customization they had in Mount and Blade, I can't wait to see what we can do in War of the Roses.
Hopefully they fix the network code so I can set up LAN/small multiplayer matches with my little brother and a few of the friends I have who own the game. Also, I'd love to be able to add bots to my matches. It's not everyone's cup of tea to fight the AI, but I love taking on 5+ bot enemies for every human player and seeing how long we can last. A co-op mode, if you will. My other favorite thing to do with my little brother was set all our guys to stand in a line behind us, we'd duel in the middle, then the AI partners of whoever died would then rush the victor to see who really won.

INF1NIT3 D00M:
I guess Mr. Butts hasn't played Mount and Blade. Yeah, I got ninja'd at least 4 times. Who cares? It bears repeating. Mount and Blade kicks ass, and if this game uses the same combat system but with CoD style loadouts rather than Counter Strike style loadouts, that's just all the better for me. I generally use the same stuff every round, and it'll be nice to start out in full plate armor swinging my 2 handed sword around, rather than having to spend half the round just saving up the gold for that stuff. I'm also loving the thought of customizing the way my character looks. I loved the customization they had in Mount and Blade, I can't wait to see what we can do in War of the Roses.
Hopefully they fix the network code so I can set up LAN/small multiplayer matches with my little brother and a few of the friends I have who own the game. Also, I'd love to be able to add bots to my matches. It's not everyone's cup of tea to fight the AI, but I love taking on 5+ bot enemies for every human player and seeing how long we can last. A co-op mode, if you will. My other favorite thing to do with my little brother was set all our guys to stand in a line behind us, we'd duel in the middle, then the AI partners of whoever died would then rush the victor to see who really won.

Mount & Blade is not an easy to get into game. The intention of these guys is to make medieval gameplay more accessible in a similar way to Call of Duty or other First Person Shooters.

Too early to tell how similar it will be to Mount & Blade.

Teddy Roosevelt:
No matter where those 70 pounds are, those are 70 pounds that will slow you down quite a bit.

No, a very big NO, sir. Wear one and then start posting. They don't slow you down or constrain movement in a way everybody envisions (important fact is that that depends on the level of craftsmanship). You'll tire more quickly but not as fast as you'd think. Having the weight distributed in a right way is a lifesaver.

Exactly. If the full 70lbs was on your arms and legs you would tire quickly. But consider item weights like in Skyrim - half the weight was on the chest and the rest was split between extremities. An added 5lb weight on each arm would be noticeable but not unbearable.

Sounds...fascinating. I might give it a look. And if it turns out to be solid, I hope to high hell it doesn't slip under the radar.

Walk past the farm, stand on hill looking slightly east, see my house!
(ahh Yorkshire)

As much as I love M&B, this looks rather more polished and I might stand a chance online.
I wait for this with bated breath.

I look forward to it, hopefully it's like mount and blade but is more polished.

I agree that Mount and Blade multiplayer is hard to get into. That's usually why I play with friends of similar skill level. We'll make our own server and just kick anyone that's insanely good because it's no fun fighting them.

I also found that in a small server like that they tend to get really mad if you simply refuse to defend yourself against them. They kill you a few times, get bored and move on. This only works when you're dealing with a very low population server.

I am looking forward to this one though. I enjoyed M&B and I hope they use a good combat model in this game.

I must say that I was skeptical when they announced this one on the Paradox Interactive forums, but now I think it might very well be a game I'll enjoy playing. The devs' communication has been great, and they seem to have a pretty good vision of what they are doing. In the end of course, it's down to the playability of the combat model.

PhunkyPhazon:
Being that I'm an actual descendent of the House of Lancaster, I almost feel like I have to check this out. Err...would it be traitorous for me to play as York?

A Lancastrian? GET THE USURPER!

(Yeah, I'm from York... "Now is the winter etc."}

Do you actually get to play as Richard III or Henry Tudor? That'd be awesome.

Juding from the Youtube reactions and even some posts here, this game could lead to some PlanetSide-level team dedication.

And you know what? That's awesome!!! It's about time people really band together in an online game and want to win.

COOL!!!!!!!!!!!! I demand more Medieval based games of a realistic warfare nature!

maninahat:

PhunkyPhazon:

A Lancastrian? GET THE USURPER!

(Yeah, I'm from York... "Now is the winter etc."}

Do you actually get to play as Richard III or Henry Tudor? That'd be awesome.

putowtin:

Walk past the farm, stand on hill looking slightly east, see my house!
(ahh Yorkshire)

One Lancastrian here and apparently three Yorkshiremen (including myself, plus if you look at my avatar, I'm already packing steel) I think we out number him boys. Have at him. Apparently there is still some bad blood between us and the Lancaster lads over that little bit of history, however I've not seen much of it. Thought those from Lancaster didn't much like us cause they were jealous of how awesome we are :P

Though I imagine you'd be able to play both sides (think I already know which side I'll be taking). Can't wait to give it a try :).

Pfft. Story and setting sounds like a total Game of Thrones ripoff.

CUnk:

I see what you did there....

Despite Mount and Blade having already done this sort of thing, competition is always good. And this might be more polished and work better online.

CUnk:

What?
It's based on actual history.

God I hope you're trolling.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook