Scarygirl Review

Scarygirl Review

Not terribly scary, just terribly good.

Read Full Article

Woah, I rembember this from some kind of 2D Flash game, I'm pretty sure it was the exact same protagonist and setting. It's nice to see that the devs have made it to a full product!

This reminded me of Alt-Escape man, I miss that section if I remember correctly John Funk reviewed the flash version of this game there, well whatever looks nice, I believe you can play the flash version at www.scarygirl.com, it's pretty damn well produced for a flash game BTW.

Major warning to anyone who's interested in this game: Do play the trial version before buying.

I loved the look and style of the game, and greatly enjoyed the combat which elevated itself above the norm with some sctual depth and technique. I also haven't played a proper side scrolling platformer for a while so was eager for the playstyle.

I, however, hated how the game actually felt to play. It was extremely loose and slippery with none of the precision that makes a great 2D platformer (or any platformer, really) play like a great 2D platformer. It also had the troubling perspective issues that plagued the Klonoa games as it's also a 2D game with 2.5D presentation. You get the same wonkiness of trying to judge heights and distances while trying to essentially jump around curves that you had in Klonoa but none of the tightness of play that Klonoa had.

Basically, if you can look beyond how the game actually feels to play then there seems like there would be a lot to like, but the slippery and loose movement isn't easy to ignore.

StriderShinryu:
Major warning to anyone who's interested in this game: Do play the trial version before buying.

I loved the look and style of the game, and greatly enjoyed the combat which elevated itself above the norm with some sctual depth and technique. I also haven't played a proper side scrolling platformer for a while so was eager for the playstyle.

I, however, hated how the game actually felt to play. It was extremely loose and slippery with none of the precision that makes a great 2D platformer (or any platformer, really) play like a great 2D platformer. It also had the troubling perspective issues that plagued the Klonoa games as it's also a 2D game with 2.5D presentation. You get the same wonkiness of trying to judge heights and distances while trying to essentially jump around curves that you had in Klonoa but none of the tightness of play that Klonoa had.

Basically, if you can look beyond how the game actually feels to play then there seems like there would be a lot to like, but the slippery and loose movement isn't easy to ignore.

Wow, I didn't experience that at all. I didn't feel like it was at all loose or slippery and had no problems whatsoever. I had far bigger issues with LittleBigPlanet, for example, which I felt was very difficult to line up properly.

I just feel like a lot of these games try too hard to be "eccentric" so they get some pseudo-artistic rep or people playing the game just for the weird factor.

There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but does anyone get the feeling that this game is not, infact, unique at all just because it's overly weird like every other platformer created by a small studio?

"Weird" and "different" is actually starting to put me off, rather than incline me to purchase.

StriderShinryu:
It also had the troubling perspective issues that plagued the Klonoa games as it's also a 2D game with 2.5D presentation. You get the same wonkiness of trying to judge heights and distances while trying to essentially jump around curves that you had in Klonoa but none of the tightness of play that Klonoa had.

Hmmm, I never had any issue with the platforming in Klonoa myself. Then again I've probably played through them enough by now to memorise the levels, so I don't know if that makes me a better or worse judge of the platforming.

As for Scarygirl, does look interesting - havn't played a good platformer in a long time. The gem sounds made me reminiscent of the first Rayman (the tings made a tune / scale as you collected them). Might have to give the demo a go.

Some of the music sounds like it was done by Danny Baranowsky, who did the music for Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac. I know it probably isn't, because his webpage doesn't have this game listed, I just thought it was interesting to hear the similarity of styles.

The nice thing about these downloadable games is that there always seems to be something for a certain itch I may be feeling at the time. There was Shadow Complex for the time I wanted to do some obsessive exploring, and then there was Puzzle Quest for when I felt like playing Bejeweled repeatedly, and then there was Deathspank for when I wanted to do some RPG endless questing LOL

Though platforming might be a bit dulled right now, seeing how 'Splosion Man and Super Meat Boy have spanked me so hard x.X

Susan Arendt:

StriderShinryu:

Wow, I didn't experience that at all. I didn't feel like it was at all loose or slippery and had no problems whatsoever. I had far bigger issues with LittleBigPlanet, for example, which I felt was very difficult to line up properly.

It is possible that it was because I was using the analog stick as opposed to the dpad.. and I'm not sure that I tried the dpad at all. Either way, I actually had my MS points all lined up and ready to go for this one but ended up not spending them after playing the trial.

IT IS OCTOPUSES!!! Seriously, there was a Name-Game comic about this :(

it's "octopuses" or "octopodes". never "octopi". octopi is a misnomer that comes from the incorrect assumption that octopus is a latin word, it comes from greek.
anyway, a game with land based octopodes?! i'm in!

A little girl armed with a fish on a rod? Damn it, that was my idea, game!

Ah well, I never would have used it.

Phisi:
IT IS OCTOPUSES!!! Seriously, there was a Name-Game comic about this :(

Yes, and one of the replies to that comic was a very in-depth explanation of why both forms are acceptable.

Played the demo, felt like Awesome-era Tim Burton fell in love with a Sackgirl, and they made a beautiful baby together. I intend on picking this up come payday.

That was pretty much my thought.

Played it a fair bit, but didn't want to pay for the saves, so never got far.

I can't wait for this to hit Steam, I think my six-year-old would love this (particularly Bunniguru, he loves rabbits).

God I hate her voice so much. Really don't know why, but it just grates on my nerves. Always down with a 2d platformer so I might get this one. Pretty much waiting for a 60$ 2D platformer that is like 50 hours of gameplay. Ever had a company, I would make it my goal to have a console platformer that wasn't indie. Very hard time listening to her reviews because of her voice. I know that is mean to say, but my god. Know what the turd on the cherry sundae is, when she tells a joke. Ever had to give her notes it would be lay off the lame jokes with a voice like that.

Shawn MacDonald:
God I hate her voice so much.

You're not the only one. I just find many of her reviews plain unhelpful, or uncharming.

Anyway, the game itself looks fun. Looks more like Klonoa: Door to Phantomile than Sonic or Mario (that's a compliment).

I also remember this as the 2D Flash game, which unfortunately didn't get very high reviews, but I loved it. I almost miss her not speaking, although her having a voice made it much easier to tell what was going on.

I'm a little surprised to not read a single mention of Tim Burton in the review. Interesting.

Terramax:

Shawn MacDonald:

You're not the only one. I just find many of her reviews plain unhelpful, or uncharming.

Anyway, the game itself looks fun. Looks more like Klonoa: Door to Phantomile than Sonic or Mario (that's a compliment).

Kind of glad you responded back in a friendly manner. Yeah I thought I was going to get so much crap for posting this. Really does look fun and I dig the art style. Of course sitting threw her review is like listening to my friends girlfriend speak. Got a certain tone to it that drives me up the wall for some reason. Of course I don't hate her for it. Not her fault for souunding like that. After looking back on this post, I should not of done it. Love Klonoa as well, haven't played it in years.

Shawn MacDonald:
God I hate her voice so much. Really don't know why, but it just grates on my nerves. Always down with a 2d platformer so I might get this one. Pretty much waiting for a 60$ 2D platformer that is like 50 hours of gameplay. Ever had a company, I would make it my goal to have a console platformer that wasn't indie. Very hard time listening to her reviews because of her voice. I know that is mean to say, but my god. Know what the turd on the cherry sundae is, when she tells a joke. Ever had to give her notes it would be lay off the lame jokes with a voice like that.

So perhaps you shouldn't watch my review videos, then. You can just read the text.

Terramax:

Shawn MacDonald:

You should just avoid my reviews altogether, unless you'd care to explain what you find unhelpful.

Shawn MacDonald:

They do video AND text for many reasons, and that's probably one of them. Is it because Susan doesn't get all hyped up when she's talking? I would thank her for that, because she's giving you her thoughts in a conversational tone instead of trying to sell you something one way or the other.
Also, I think you're mistaking a smart comment or two for a joke..

I want this game. Must have it! Thanks for the review Susan!

BehattedWanderer:
Played the demo, felt like Awesome-era Tim Burton fell in love with a Sackgirl, and they made a beautiful baby together. I intend on picking this up come payday.

Yeah, this is exactly the reason I want it.

Susan Arendt:

Shawn MacDonald:

So perhaps you shouldn't watch my review videos, then. You can just read the text.

Terramax:

Shawn MacDonald:

You should just avoid my reviews altogether, unless you'd care to explain what you find unhelpful.

Kind of a rude thing to type, for that, I am sorry.

Frizzle:

Shawn MacDonald:

They do video AND text for many reasons, and that's probably one of them. Is it because Susan doesn't get all hyped up when she's talking? I would thank her for that, because she's giving you her thoughts in a conversational tone instead of trying to sell you something one way or the other.

Can tell you that she does tell a joke or two at the end of each review. Yeah I can't put my finger on it, but I just don't like the tome of it.

i also remember playing this on newgrounds a few years back, i had to study it for my level design subject, i'll be getting this ASAP.

P.S why all the hate for Susan? *bows before the Nerd Queen*

I personally think Susan has one of the sexiest and intelligent voices known to man. Susan, your deep and sultry tones woo my man ears while your funny and well thought out reviews create new meanings for the words; strong, female, and role models.

I would be honored if you would do me the favor of reading the phone book and recording your sexy lady voice so that I can play it back for all the young girls here where I live, to inspire them to one day be as good at life as you are.

I only imagine, that as you read this, on your custom designed iTablet, draped over a divan while wearing a hand made Persian silk robe, sipping on wine made from hand squeezed grapes, that you may find this post lacking in honorific words. To alleviate this; honest, dapper, punctual, vivacious, both exo and endothermic, kind, strong scented, and alluring.

This post is now diamonds.

Bradeck:
I personally think Susan has one of the sexiest and intelligent voices known to man. Susan, your deep and sultry tones woo my man ears while your funny and well thought out reviews create new meanings for the words; strong, female, and role models.

I would be honored if you would do me the favor of reading the phone book and recording your sexy lady voice so that I can play it back for all the young girls here where I live, to inspire them to one day be as good at life as you are.

I only imagine, that as you read this, on your custom designed iTablet, draped over a divan while wearing a hand made Persian silk robe, sipping on wine made from hand squeezed grapes, that you may find this post lacking in honorific words. To alleviate this; honest, dapper, punctual, vivacious, both exo and endothermic, kind, strong scented, and alluring.

You do know she is married, right? To the man who ran this place, who knows the current "The Boss of You", and has threatened people before about hitting on his wife if they don't apologise.

Not to mention the Nerd Queen herself could make your time at the Escapist quite unpleasant with her own power and status.
You may wish to be more respectful. It is the polite, and right thing to do.

p.s. Flattery like this will only get you covered in dung.

Susan Arendt:
Scarygirl Review

Not terribly scary, just terribly good.

Read Full Article

Did you hear about any plans to continue this game through dlc? I always loved platform games when I started playing video games, but right now we don't have as many around as we use to. I hope Scary Girl does well!

Imp Emissary:

Bradeck:

You do know she is married, right? To the man who ran this place, who knows the current "The Boss of You", and has threatened people before about hitting on his wife if they don't apologise.

Not to mention the Nerd Queen herself could make your time at the Escapist quite unpleasant with her own power and status.

I was actually just attempting to do a Old Spice joke. Don't really care about this forum, or getting banned by the husband. You shouldn't take things so seriously, especially on the internet.

Maybe if people weren't complete jerks on this board, I wouldn't have felt compelled to answer in the way I did. She made a review. Live with it. If people don't like her voice, theydon't need to critique that here. Furthermore, the people who jump on the "Hate the reviewers" bandwagon are just people who were pissed about her review of Uncharted. Those people should chill too. It was a good game. Far better then most, and she doesn't deserve "Her voice is crap" because she liked it.

Bradeck:

Imp Emissary:

Bradeck:

I was actually just attempting to do a Old Spice joke. Don't really care about this forum, or getting banned by the husband. You shouldn't take things so seriously, especially on the internet.

Maybe if people weren't complete jerks on this board, I wouldn't have felt compelled to answer in the way I did. She made a review. Live with it. If people don't like her voice, theydon't need to critique that here. Furthermore, the people who jump on the "Hate the reviewers" bandwagon are just people who were pissed about her review of Uncharted. Those people should chill too. It was a good game. Far better then most, and she doesn't deserve "Her voice is crap" because she liked it.

Everyone relax. I got the Old Spice reference and thought your post was hilarious. So no worries on that front. :)

Hmmmm, looks like a fun time. May pick up when it's on sale, especially since Imma in dire need of none m-rated co-op games to play with my little sis. >_<

Bradeck:

Imp Emissary:

Bradeck:

I see, and agree. To be honest I think those people just have it in for Susan, judging from their comments, but then again it's hard to take in the context of the internet's written speaking. Our previous misunderstanding as my first example. Sorry about that. Though, as Susan said, even if they really do hate her voice and reviews, they could just read it instead, or avoid the reviews altogether.

Nice to talk to friend. Have a good one.

Shawn MacDonald:

Frizzle:

Shawn MacDonald:

Can tell you that she does tell a joke or two at the end of each review. Yeah I can't put my finger on it, but I just don't like the tome of it.

And again, I have to point out, if you hate my voice enough to prompt you to be incredibly rude, then don't watch the videos. If you've watched them enough to know that I make a joke "at the end of each review" then you're bringing aggravation on yourself.

If you don't like the content, don't watch. That simple.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here