Final Fantasy XIII-2 Review

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Final Fantasy XIII-2 Review

You won't love it, but hey, you probably won't hate it. That's something, right?

Read Full Article

Nice Dr Who parody you added at the credit.
I know for one thing is that my bro will be picking up this for sure despite the changes and flaws you had mention.

Doctor Who ending music FTW!!

I dunno. Final Fantasy has always been on the slow boil for me. Don't see this changing that

Everything I've heard and seen about the game suggests that the gameplay is better...

But everything I've read about the plot makes it sound at least three times as crappy and convoluted as XIII's.

PSN had the FF series going cheap, so yesterday I bought FF7 and FF8.

That's all the JRPG goodness I'll need for a while.

I'm the complete opposite of most people. I absolutely hate all Final Fantasy games, except 13. I love FF13. I think 13-2 is a step backwards for me.

The battle system was one of the few things I liked about FFXIII. If that's basically the same but the plot and level design are better, could this game be worth a purchase?

Susan, you've given me a lot to think about. I'm going to sit here and ponder this very deeply.

Mahorfeus:
Everything I've heard and seen about the game suggests that the gameplay is better...

But everything I've read about the plot makes it sound at least three times as crappy and convoluted as XIII's.

Actually, it's not that bad. The times when it gets the most dense are the times it ties into XIII. It also tends to repeat ideas enough to let them to sink in.

That said, it's not the most compelling plot you're ever going to encounter. Serah and Noel are likeable enough that you want them to succeed, but you likely won't care about just about anyone else.

I was on the fence about 13-2 from the very beginning even after playing the demo. That is until I heard there's a lovely 'to be continued' at the end, which just doesn't sit right for me at all in this case. I'd be happy to hear if that's not as bad as I'm imagining, but I really don't think a JRPG should ever end on a cliffhanger.

I still think I might go buy the old FFs on PSN today instead...

Daystar Clarion:

Oh someone beat me to that. Cool beans

Marshall Honorof:
The battle system was one of the few things I liked about FFXIII-2. If that's basically the same but the plot and level design are better, could this game be worth a purchase?

Susan, you've given me a lot to think about. I'm going to sit here and ponder this very deeply.

Without having played either game, I can only speculate, but FFXIII-2's combat is probably pretty close to FFXIII-2's combat. I suspect the level design and story to be about the same as well.

burningdragoon:
I was on the fence about 13-2 from the very beginning even after playing the demo. That is until I heard there's a lovely 'to be continued' at the end, which just doesn't sit right for me at all in this case. I'd be happy to hear if that's not as bad as I'm imagining, but I really don't think a JRPG should ever end on a cliffhanger.

Daystar Clarion:

Go for it.

I'm letting the nostalgia times roll :D

Scars Unseen:
Without having played either game, I can only speculate, but FFXIII-2's combat is probably pretty close to FFXIII-2's combat. I suspect the level design and story to be about the same as well.

That sounds about right. Let's hear it for posting in the morning.

The Doctor Who bit at the end got me a chuckle.

FF games have always been about the story and characters for me and as I hated everything about the story and characters in XIII I will not bother. The only thing that can save the series now is Verses or 15 (depends which is relesed first). if they fuck up whichever comes first then the series is dead to me.

I was excited about 10-2 and was disapointed (except for the bonus ending. I liked that). I was excited about 12 and was disapointed to find a bad Return of the Jedi rip off. I was excited about 13 and hated everything about it. I have no more excitment left for Final Fantasy and it makes me sad as FF 7,8,9 and 10 are four of my favorite games.

I dunno. I'm playing through XIII right now (Waited until it was super cheap because of all the mixed reactions) and I'm really enjoying it. I've never played too many of the Final Fantasy games though, so maybe it's because I don't know what a 3d FF should be like?

Either way, it sounds like XIII-2 is an improvement, so I guess that's good for me, regardless.

burningdragoon:

Daystar Clarion:

JRPGs are too long and require too much investment to end on "to be continued". I'm so glad I gave up on this series in the 90's :/

A couple of questions:

1) Do the quick time events ever get God of War annoying?

2) If you didn't want to use monsters, could you play without them or are they required to advance?

3) How difficult do the puzzles get?

I don't get what everyone is so pissed about. FFXIII was the single most revolutionary game in the entire YEAR! It dared to do what no other game did. Attempt to make the player as redundant as possible. In JRPG's the action and narrative was already driven by the characters without any input from the player, you know, like the famous yes or no question that can only be answered with Yes,

But FFXIII took it a step further. It completely automated combat. The only reason you would play a JRPG, cause hey your not here to listen to all the teenage angst, and Square Enix just told the player go stand in the corner whilst the AI fights for him.

Soon Square won't need "players" any more, you just load the disk into the console and enjoy a 80 hour movie.

1337mokro:
I don't get what everyone is so pissed about. FFXIII was the single most revolutionary game in the entire YEAR! It dared to do what no other game did. Attempt to make the player as redundant as possible. In JRPG's the action and narrative was already driven by the characters without any input from the player, you know, like the famous yes or no question that can only be answered with Yes,

But FFXIII took it a step further. It completely automated combat. The only reason you would play a JRPG, cause hey your not here to listen to all the teenage angst, and Square Enix just told the player go stand in the corner whilst the AI fights for him.

Soon Square won't need "players" any more, you just load the disk into the console and enjoy a 80 hour movie.

This attitude is funny. Final Fantasy XIII requires the player to be really paying attention or you will get your ass kicked. It does not play itself.

I lol'd at the credits.

FFXII-2 does look better then XIII so I might pick it up
Having Said that XIII really pissed me off so maybe not.

Crono1973:

1337mokro:

This attitude is funny. Final Fantasy XIII requires the player to be really paying attention or you will get your ass kicked. It does not play itself.

This was part exaggeration and part truth.

Whilst you do need to pay attention, you can't actually put the controller down and get a beer and comeback when it's done. The combat is some of the most laid back, effortless, thoughtless button pressing in history.

In fact the player is PUNISHED for trying to direct combat himself. The higher combat rankings are MUCH easier to get by just automating the entire battle. I tried a few myself and always got lower scores compared to just auto-attacking.

Apparently games play themselves these days. There's probably a "In Soviet Russia...." joke in there somewhere.

I still feel too burned from FF13 to buy this without seeing some player reactions.

"The return to a more classic form should earn Final Fantasy XIII-2 some goodwill from longtime fans..." Except the fact that the FF series has never been based upon direct-sequels - except 10-2 and we all know (or should know) what a godless abomination that game was - and as such the very premise of this game deviates from "classic FF form".

I'll cut my standard "The last good Final Fantasy was Tactics on the PS 1" rant and simply say that I don't like what Square-Enix has done with the series that I grew up with and who I considered at one time to be the gold standard of RPGs. The downfall started with 7...while still a solid and enjoyable game, I didn't have a nerdgasm over it like everyone else. 8 was decent but too easy and too emo, I mean Squall has the unique ability to get pissed off at his own thoughts and then burst out with something that leaves everyone standing there saying "What...the....fuck?" My favorite being the "I DON'T WANNA BE THOUGHT OF IN THE PAST TENSE!!!" scene before he runs out of the room leaving everyone utterly confused. 9 was too cartoony, 10 was playable but overall I liked Blitz-Ball better than the actual game and I consider any game a failure when the main boss is a god that you can't lose to unless you kill yourself twice. 10-2, as mentioned, was a horrid abomination that was a sin against man, god, and nature...it was a game that I rented and immediately returned 2 hours later.

Haven't played a FF since and I honestly don't intend to.

A week or so ago someone made a topic asking if people are getting pumped up for the re-release of FF10, and if not which FF would you like to be re-released. I suggested they should focus on coming out with one GOOD one before they go back and start re-making their mediocre/bad ones.

P.S. I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of any FF 1-6...so long as they don't take the George Lucas approach to remaking and just take a dump all over everything.

P.S.S. Well I guess I lied...said I wouldn't go on an anti-FF rant and that's kinda what this post turned out to be, my apologies. :P

RJ 17:
"The return to a more classic form should earn Final Fantasy XIII-2 some goodwill from longtime fans..." Except the fact that the FF series has never been based upon direct-sequels - except 10-2 and we all know (or should know) what a godless abomination that game was - and as such the very premise of this game deviates from "classic FF form".

I'll cut my standard "The last good Final Fantasy was Tactics on the PS 1" rant and simply say that I don't like what Square-Enix has done with the series that I grew up with and who I considered at one time to be the gold standard of RPGs. The downfall started with 7...while still a solid and enjoyable game, I didn't have a nerdgasm over it like everyone else. 8 was decent but too easy and too emo, I mean Squall has the unique ability to get pissed off at his own thoughts and then burst out with something that leaves everyone standing there saying "What...the....fuck?" My favorite being the "I DON'T WANNA BE THOUGHT OF IN THE PAST TENSE!!!" scene before he runs out of the room leaving everyone utterly confused. 9 was too cartoony, 10 was playable but overall I liked Blitz-Ball better than the actual game and I consider any game a failure when the main boss is a god that you can't lose to unless you kill yourself twice. 10-2, as mentioned, was a horrid abomination that was a sin against man, god, and nature...it was a game that I rented and immediately returned 2 hours later.

Haven't played a FF since and I honestly don't intend to.

A week or so ago someone made a topic asking if people are getting pumped up for the re-release of FF10, and if not which FF would you like to be re-released. I suggested they should focus on coming out with one GOOD one before they go back and start re-making their mediocre/bad ones.

P.S. I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of any FF 1-6...so long as they don't take the George Lucas approach to remaking and just take a dump all over everything.

P.S.S. Well I guess I lied...said I wouldn't go on an anti-FF rant and that's kinda what this post turned out to be, my apologies. :P

I disagree, I think the downfall started with FFX because everything was voice acted so it just became a linear movie. Dragon Quest 9 on the DS has way more depth than any of the recent Final Fantasy games and I'm sure text based conversations are the reason.
I quite liked FF X-2 but it really wasn't a Final Fantasy game and I am female which I'm sure helped...

Going to pick up my copy of XIII-2 soon. Looking forward to playing it, although from the sound of things it isn't as good as XIII. A pity, but understandable, all things considered.

Never played a Final Fantasy game, but just wanted to pitch in my two cents to say that this game looks amazing visually from this video - people look exceptionally lifelike, the settings look great, and the combat looks like something from a movie. That being said, auto-battling and party planning sound like they make for horrible combat, so this would just frustrate me if I tried to play it. Ah well.

Crono1973:
A couple of questions:

2) If you didn't want to use monsters, could you play without them or are they required to advance?

1. No, I actually quite enjoyed them. They happen infrequently enough and are short enough to stay interesting.

2. Sure, you could skip them entirely. Might make your game a bit harder...though admittedly, I felt *really* overpowered once my little Medic cat was leveled up.

3. Not terribly. You might wish they didn't have so many levels, but they're not going to break your brain.

1337mokro:

Whilst you do need to pay attention, you can't actually put the controller down and get a beer and comeback when it's done. The combat is some of the most laid back, effortless, thoughtless button pressing in history.

In fact the player is PUNISHED for trying to direct combat himself. The higher combat rankings are MUCH easier to get by just automating the entire battle. I tried a few myself and always got lower scores compared to just auto-attacking.

Truth. There is very little incentive to not just spam the "auto" button. Switching up Paradigms is the most involved you'll typically be in combat, and you really only need to do that during boss fights.

5ilver:
Apparently games play themselves these days. There's probably a "In Soviet Russia...." joke in there somewhere.

In soviet Russia, people stopped using that joke when they took an arrow to the knee.

.....what?

OT: might be a rent for me, I dont know.

Im not the biggest of a FF Fan, but Final Fantasy XIII was the only one that I actually quit playing because of how bored I was getting.

But having the characters go through time.....that actually might make me even more bored.

I don't really think there's any way of getting me to buy this one, shy of including an FF13-graphic-level version of Final Fantasy VI. Honestly, between the schizo-tech and annoying main characters, I'm kind of worried for Final Fantasy's future. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those "every FF game since 7 sucks, they need to remake 7" people. Honestly, I think FF7 is good but really overrated, but the fans who keep saying "make the next one more like 7" are holding the series back. Think about it, 7 was where this wierd, overdesigned tech came from and the truly annoying characters started cropping up. If there's any game the FF series should be more like in terms of gameplay, playability and in-game tech, it's actually Final Fantasy 9. The characters are likeable (I'm still scouring around for a Vivi plushie), the story is lighthearted and the gameplay is actually playable. Actually, maybe if you took FF9's combat and added the tag-ins from FF10...

Dont be fooled! If you hated XIII, you will hate XIII-2, and any subsequent iteration square decides to put out based on this facile battle system

5ilver:

In Soviet Russia, game plays YOU!
Remember folks to try your waitress, and tip the veal.

After FF XIII I didn't expect they could make a golden shining one again out of that backstory. Well XIII-2 at least might be reasonable, enjoyable.. offer fun and you know you playing the game instead of being put on the backseat.

I can dig that so yes I ordered FF XIII-2, hell even the monster addition [remember Enchanted Arms] can be very interesting.

Hey at least XIII-2 will allow me to actually play the game.

Doctor Who Theme at the end :D Have I mentioned I love you in a completely platonic non-stalkery way?

Susan Arendt:

Crono1973:
A couple of questions:

1. No, I actually quite enjoyed them. They happen infrequently enough and are short enough to stay interesting.

2. Sure, you could skip them entirely. Might make your game a bit harder...though admittedly, I felt *really* overpowered once my little Medic cat was leveled up.

3. Not terribly. You might wish they didn't have so many levels, but they're not going to break your brain.

1337mokro:

Truth. There is very little incentive to not just spam the "auto" button. Switching up Paradigms is the most involved you'll typically be in combat, and you really only need to do that during boss fights.

Thanks for the answers.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or