Sol: Exodus Review

Pages PREV 1 2

Alexnader:

omicron1:
This would be great if it didn't decide to make me and mine the villains. (by which I mean, religious people in general and Christians in particular)
For a rough analogy, atheists in the audience, imagine how you'd feel watching a movie in which a crowd of bloodthirsty videogaming killers (justified in-universe by the popular perception of violent videogames as psychologically affecting) were the villains.

In general, though, I hope the resurgence of space combat games continues. Let's bring the age of Freespace back with a vengeance!

It's an easy choice story-wise to make some fanatical religious people the bad guys but I don't blame them. The easiest way to create a legion of humans who are somehow against the survival of their own species is to stick religion in there. I'm hard pressed to think of any other plausible motivations.

Or, you know, malthusians, radical conservationists, nihilists, or just plain madmen.
And that's assuming you have to make self-genocide the goal. Political-economic war is a perfectly feasible explanation which doesn't step on the toes of half the world's populace.

omicron1:

Alexnader:

omicron1:
This would be great if it didn't decide to make me and mine the villains. (by which I mean, religious people in general and Christians in particular)
For a rough analogy, atheists in the audience, imagine how you'd feel watching a movie in which a crowd of bloodthirsty videogaming killers (justified in-universe by the popular perception of violent videogames as psychologically affecting) were the villains.

In general, though, I hope the resurgence of space combat games continues. Let's bring the age of Freespace back with a vengeance!

It's an easy choice story-wise to make some fanatical religious people the bad guys but I don't blame them. The easiest way to create a legion of humans who are somehow against the survival of their own species is to stick religion in there. I'm hard pressed to think of any other plausible motivations.

Or, you know, malthusians, radical conservationists, nihilists, or just plain madmen.
And that's assuming you have to make self-genocide the goal. Political-economic war is a perfectly feasible explanation which doesn't step on the toes of half the world's populace.

We're just telling a story. Our bad guys happen to be ultra-fanatical but don't necessarily belong to any common religion that exists today.

We felt they made a good antagonist based on the overall design of the game.

I think Tachyon: The Fringe did the "strafe sideways without losing momentum" thing quite well... It also did the Big Ships stuff that only Freespace had managed previously.. I remember being impressed by the sheer size of some of the ships. On top of that, it had Ash doing the voice for the player character (For the younglings: Not Ash from Mass Effect, Ash from Evil Dead - Bruce Campbell) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachyon:_The_Fringe

I've been getting back into Space shooters lately, I got me some X3 action over Christmas in the Steam Sale. Might get this too.

ascorbius:
I think Tachyon: The Fringe did the "strafe sideways without losing momentum" thing quite well... It also did the Big Ships stuff that only Freespace had managed previously.. I remember being impressed by the sheer size of some of the ships. On top of that, it had Ash doing the voice for the player character (For the younglings: Not Ash from Mass Effect, Ash from Evil Dead - Bruce Campbell) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachyon:_The_Fringe

I've been getting back into Space shooters lately, I got me some X3 action over Christmas in the Steam Sale. Might get this too.

I actually worked on Tachyon, as a level designer, during my time at Novalogic. Had a lot of fun with that one. :)

Christopher Stockman:

ascorbius:

I actually worked on Tachyon, as a level designer, during my time at Novalogic. Had a lot of fun with that one. :)

<[Bows in Respect]> Awesome - I loved that game. I still have the chart somewhere with all of the ships on it.

Christopher Stockman:
I want to thank everyone that has not only supported us but this genre.

I'll be the first one to admit we stumbled a bit upon release but we have taken ALL criticism to heart and have since released 4 patches that not only drastically changed core gameplay (and in some cases missions themselves) but also fixed a number of issues that our customers have identified.

And we're not done yet. Not by a long shot. We're hard at work on additional content, DLC, and more.

We want to bring space shooters back into the mainstream by making them accessible and fun to play. And our team (all 6 of us!) are dedicated to making this happen.

In the coming days we'll be releasing a demo and you can judge the game for yourself to determine it's worth the asking price.

P.S. Totalbiscuit's review (along with almost everyone else's_ was based on an outdated build. Much has changed since.

Thank you,

Chris Stockman
Seamless Entertainment

Do you spend all your free time commenting on reviews of sol exodus and talking about it or something i have seen you on the steam forums,ign,and now here?
Because it really shows your commitment to your game.
Maybe you should ask if you can write an article about your attempt to revive the genre for the escapist?

Do you spend all your free time commenting on reviews of sol exodus and talking about it or something i have seen you on the steam forums,ign,and now here?
Because it really shows your commitment to your game.
Maybe you should ask if you can write an article about your attempt to revive the genre for the escapist?

I wouldn't say all my time. :)

But, yea, since release I've been quite vocal on various forums talking about this game and genre that I love so much.

I spent a good couple of years trying to get this game off the ground and, while, I was incredibly disappointed by some of the fan and reviewer reception I've also taken it all to heart and responded accordingly.

I really, really want to see this genre return and will do everything I can to see that happen!

Chris

OK, Purchased: Consider yourself officially Supported :-)

You guys definitely have my support. I need more space flight sims in my diet, and your team looks extremely promising, Chris.

Just to weigh in quickly on the topic of religion, I joked that maybe we should have put the Assassin's Creed disclaimer at the beginning of the game but no one should infer from the game that we as a team are pushing any kind of atheist agenda.

The antagonists in our story are religious zealots to be sure, but we've also tried to ground them in a world where their core beliefs are very understandable, even if their actions are not terribly defensible. But at the same time, this is a game about blowing things up, so subtlety and nuance are not necessarily the most useful tools.

Anyway, just wanted to mention it for those who may be concerned about that. I was baptized Catholic, confirmed Methodist and still (admittedly, infrequently) attend church, and I don't take offense to the game.

I think if it generates discussion and thought about the role of religion versus morality, that's a good thing.

Dan
Studio Director
Seamless Entertainment

Is anyone else having an audio problem with the Afterburner effect?
As soon as I use it, the audio clip seems to remain on.

This may be a design thing, but I find it really annoying so it's probably a bug of some kind.
Any fixes other than turning the SFX volume to zero would be much appreciated.

Also, is there going to be a Battlestar Galactica mod for the game?

OT: Super fun and worth the low admission fee.

Chrono, that is definitely not as designed. We're having a heck of a time tracking down the bug but we're looking into it now.

Chrono212:

This may be a design thing, but I find it really annoying so it's probably a bug of some kind.

dgackey:
Chrono, that is definitely not as designed. We're having a heck of a time tracking down the bug but we're looking into it now.

I just bought the game and am having the exact same problem. REALLY annoying, to say the least...

Fun game so far other than that, though.

Goodness the visuals of this video took me back to the days of Decent Freespace, Colony Wars on the PS1 (basically new Battle Star Galactica, only just a little different, and in the PS1 era). Those were good times.

Chrono212:

dgackey:

It's not a big deal, just make an achievement: After what? - Didn't use any afterburner during a playthough

OldGrover:
I just bought the game and am having the exact same problem. REALLY annoying, to say the least...

Fun game so far other than that, though.

Just turn the SFX off for a 'realistic' experience. :P
Well, it'd be nice if the space sounds and cockpit/radio/internal sounds were on different tracks.

Hey folks, just wanted to chime in and let you know that this morning's update has resolved the strange case of the lingering afterburner. :)

Telperion:
Okay, so I got a question for you: how is this better than The Babylon Project? Because I'm not seeing a lot of reasons to fork over 9.99€ for this game. Help me out here, Greg!

Thank you so much for reminding me of that! I am so in the mood to play it having just re-watched all the seasons of the show.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here